New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Peebles' Perfectly Pointless Popular Prattle - Random Banter #211

Oh wow, Mr. Man just found a 30m2 studio flat for 300 euros, water and electricty about 15 euros a month. Honestly, that's a damn lucky find in this small town, because a lot of people like to rip off money from students. And the family who owns the place seem super nice, too. Plus the place is about a 20 minute bike ride away from where I am, better than the 2 hour train journey we're currently shuffling with.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Oh wow, Mr. Man just found a 30m2 studio flat for 300 euros, water and electricty about 15 euros a month. Honestly, that's a damn lucky find in this small town, because a lot of people like to rip off money from students. And the family who owns the place seem super nice, too. Plus the place is about a 20 minute bike ride away from where I am, better than the 2 hour train journey we're currently shuffling with.
    Oh man, that's super awesome!

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Troll in the Playground

Yay, that's cool!
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Well, it was 3 for Central. But Qwerty is two timezones further west.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Hai people. Hi Koorleh. *continues to lurk*
    Hai Sheep!
    *nallekram*

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    A pin wheel is like a cheap, "not really a fan" fan. So in context it would mean "a false solution that looks good but in reality does next to nothing."
    *googles*
    Ahh, so that's what you mean by a pinwheel! Well, then I'm mostly drawing blank. I don't think there's much which fits in the context...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Guh. How come it was easier to find an internship last summer when I was less qualified than it has been to find one this summer? Makes no sense. *grumbles*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Am I going to regret this when it's no longer one in the morning and my eyes stay open on their own again?
    Quote Originally Posted by teh slutmeister View Post
    Well, it was 3 for Central. But Qwerty is two timezones further west.

Hai people. Hi Koorleh. *continues to lurk*
    It was midnight for central, not 3. Qwerty's on EST, because that post was 1am for me as well.
    A few odds and ends.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ogre in the Playground

I decided I was going to make myself the Red Mage hat and if that was successful, the rest of the stuff for Manchester Comicon. I wanted to go for the hat first, but I've never done anything like this before, so I got a lot of material, in case I make a mistake. I didn't realise exactly HOW much material I bought until I laid it out and, well. See for yourself:

Spoiler
    Show

*sharp inhale* yeaaaaah... I think I won't have to worry TOO much about mistakes.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    I decided I was going to make myself the Red Mage hat and if that was successful, the rest of the stuff for Manchester Comicon. I wanted to go for the hat first, but I've never done anything like this before, so I got a lot of material, in case I make a mistake. I didn't realise exactly HOW much material I bought until I laid it out and, well. See for yourself:

Spoiler
    Show

*sharp inhale* yeaaaaah... I think I won't have to worry TOO much about mistakes.
    Ooh, this reminds me of my own cosplay story! For last Halloween, I decided that I'd actually make my own costume. I decided upon Quote, the robot protagonist of Cave Story. I threw it all together 40 minutes before I left the house, and I don't think it turned out that badly. However, when I went trick-or-treating (in my town, it's not about the candy, but just having fun with friends), I got such comments as "Look, it's the Flash!" and "Oh, you're going as Mario Kart!"

That's what I get for choosing a semi-obscure character. Luckily, all of my friends have played Cave Story, so at least they understood the cosplay.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Ehh, what?
    Heart = <3 = less than three.

"I less than three you." = "I <3 you." = "I heart you." ≈ "I love you." (Though, it seems more often used as as a term of endearment or gratitude than the connotations commonly associated with the word "love".)

Example use:
    "I saved you a cookie!"
    "<3"

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ettin in the Playground

I was just stung by an insect. No big deal, though.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ogre in the Playground

Got so busy at work today that they had to close the kitchen an hour early, bot because I couldn't keep up but because the bar staff were too busy to deal with food.
    from the game Tales of Aequar: Runite's Rise. Drawn by the DM, CoffeeIncluded

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Heart = <3 = less than three.

"I less than three you." = "I <3 you." = "I heart you." ≈ "I love you." (Though, it seems more often used as as a term of endearment or gratitude than the connotations commonly associated with the word "love".)

Example use:
    "I saved you a cookie!"
    "<3"
    Ahh, I get it. Didn't realise I should switch to mathematical notation...

Show

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ettin in the Playground

Who else thinks dirty chai would be a good flavor for a malt? Maybe with caramel added too...
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

14. - Top - End - #1364

A thing I ready today that might interest you guys.

"I am unironically fascinated by the development of meme language on the internet, like how many little tweaks created the word "creepypasta". I also think it's honest to god fascinating that we've created a language system analogous to evolution where the driving force is humor. Natural selection is the sum aggregate of a million "do I find this funny" choices,ecological niches are subcultures held together by jargon. This is of course the natural way all languages evolve, so I guess in that sense internet meme language is Darwin's Finches. Easy to study and fast enough to observe on the scale of months."

15. - Top - End - #1365

"I am unironically fascinated by the development of meme language on the internet, like how many little tweaks created the word "creepypasta". I also think it's honest to god fascinating that we've created a language system analogous to evolution where the driving force is humor. Natural selection is the sum aggregate of a million "do I find this funny" choices,ecological niches are subcultures held together by jargon. This is of course the natural way all languages evolve, so I guess in that sense internet meme language is Darwin's Finches. Easy to study and fast enough to observe on the scale of months."
    Another fun fact related to this (that you all probably know): Richard Dawkins invented the word meme, to mean cultural ideas transmitted in a similar way to genetics.

16. - Top - End - #1366

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    Another fun fact related to this (that you all probably know): Richard Dawkins invented the word meme, to mean cultural ideas transmitted in a similar way to genetics.
    Dawkins has done a lot of things. This isn't quote form a book it's just musing from someone on the internet

Also I feel required to mention that this is the first time I've heard anyone mention this person in actual real, public discussion.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-04-19 at 02:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground

Dawkins has done a lot of things. This isn't quote form a book it's just musing from someone on the internet

Also I feel required to mention that this is the first time I've heard anyone mention this person in actual real, public discussion.
    This is the first time I've heard the origin of the word 'meme'
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-04-19 at 02:40 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ettin in the Playground

Are we even allowed to discuss the evolution of anything? The topic isn't exactly religious, but some people have objections to it that are...
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Troll in the Playground

I wish I hadn't be young and foolish with my inheritance. All that money would be a good 25% down payment for a flat in my dream area in this city.

Oh well.

At... at least I've gotten to travel?
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

20. - Top - End - #1370

The evolution of language is a fascinating thing. The word you're looking for, should you want to google for word origins and evolution, is "etymology" (as opposed to entomology, which is the study of insects).

And you are aware that the word meme was named after gene? It refers to an idea which travels from one person to another, like a virus, and mutates as it does so. Internet memes are just one form of expression of this.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Orc in the Playground

The evolution of language is a fascinating thing. The word you're looking for, should you want to google for word origins and evolution, is "etymology" (as opposed to entomology, which is the study of insects).

And you are aware that the word meme was named after gene? It refers to an idea which travels from one person to another, like a virus, and mutates as it does so. Internet memes are just one form of expression of this.
    I love linguistics oh so much. (Which is why I want to study it at uni. Or Classics. Or Japanese. Or Computer Science - AAARGH THE INDECISION IS HAPPENING AGAIN).

And I hadn't heard of the meme-gene connection. Didn't Dawkins intend "meme" to just mean a unit of cultural transmission, though, rather than the possibly-image-macro usage it seems to have morphed into?
    Knitting my way through life, one purl of wisdom at a time.

22. - Top - End - #1372

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusFabrius View Post
    I love linguistics oh so much. (Which is why I want to study it at uni. Or Classics. Or Japanese. Or Computer Science - AAARGH THE INDECISION IS HAPPENING AGAIN).

And I hadn't heard of the meme-gene connection. Didn't Dawkins intend "meme" to just mean a unit of cultural transmission, though, rather than the possibly-image-macro usage it seems to have morphed into?
    Indeed, the meaning of meme has morphed through cultural transmission. The image macros, however, still fall under the original definition, but that is only a subset of the definition.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ettin in the Playground

What I don't understand is why DraPrime decided to become horribly unoptimized and start punching people.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #1374

Hearing people being happy to go back to their home towns and see their families makes me feel sad.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Are we even allowed to discuss the evolution of anything? The topic isn't exactly religious, but some people have objections to it that are...
    We have a highly active LGBTA community discussing LGBTA topics, even though they're very flammable in many religious communities (and many non-religious too). I think you can extrapolate on which side of "not exactly religious" topics the line should be drawn from there...

ION:
    Board game day over at a pair of friends today. First we played Archipelago, and lost to the separatist because no one realised how brutal the natives get once you start to expand a little and didn't keep a proper stockpile of your resources...

Our second game was some still unreleased kickstarter game which the host had backed for a print-and-play copy. You play as a royal bloodline giving birth to sons and daughters (which you marry away to the other players) and fight for money and victory points while trying to give birth to the best sons. I completely blew my first round, but thanks to some bad co-player priorities and some strange mid-game magic, I managed to rush so far ahead in victory points that when my coplayers with twice as large families started to catch up toward the end game, it was already too late. Given, Henry the third was quite valuable to me too. I kept marrying the others' daughters and killing them off in the next round for great amounts of money and VP. And the guy I thought was winning actually ended up last, so there's that.

Great night in overall.

Show

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know, there's that moment where the friend with whom you're looking for an apartment to rent asks if it would be ok for him to grow some marijuana in his room to make extra money, and all you can think is "Uhhhh....hmmmm....."
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

27. - Top - End - #1377

I wish I hadn't be young and foolish with my inheritance. All that money would be a good 25% down payment for a flat in my dream area in this city.

Oh well.

At... at least I've gotten to travel?
    Hey, there's nothing wrong with having seen the world a little. Helped broaden your mind and stuff. Though yes it would. Life is full of "if only"-ies and sometimes you have to accept that things have happened and are good (which I think they are for you, but I wouldn't know!)

"Virus" is such an accurate descriptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Hearing people being happy to go back to their home towns and see their families makes me feel sad.
    Awe, I hope everything's okay Durkoala *sends hugs*

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DraPrime View Post
    You know, there's that moment where the friend with whom you're looking for an apartment to rent asks if it would be ok for him to grow some marijuana in his room to make extra money, and all you can think is "Uhhhh....hmmmm....."
    For me the main question would be the legality of the stuff in your area. Unless there's something else that would be unpleasant about growing the stuff? I honestly have no idea - does the live plant smell awful or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    For me the main question would be the legality of the stuff in your area. Unless there's something else that would be unpleasant about growing the stuff? I honestly have no idea - does the live plant smell awful or something?
    It's definitely illegal around here. He's promised that he would keep it solely in his room, and away from me, so I wouldn't have to worry about smell as far as I know but yeah...that's not really the biggest issue.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

30. - Top - End - #1380

Well in that case good on you for saying something so smart it sounded like a quote.

What, you mean that you've never seen a debate on evolution or atheism in Youtube comments or anything where his name is mentioned? To go this long without ever seeing that ...