New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Dragonchain—anything cool we can do with it?

I've never seen this mentioned anywhere, so I may as well bring it up.

I recently got my hands on Red Hand of Doom, which I'm updating to Legend. However, this topic is 3.5 in nature, not Legend. Anyway, on page 126, it gives the stats for a new exotic weapon, the dragonchain. It's a two-handed bludgeoning weapon, non-reach, 1d6 damage, crits on a 19, can be used to disarm or trip—and it has a very interesting property. I'll quote it.

"Constrict: If the wielder successfully initiates a grapple while wielding the dragonchain (succeeds on the touch attack and beats his opponent's grapple check), he can loop the weapon around the opponent. He constricts the opponent for 1d8 damage (plus 1-1/2 times his Strength modifier). On subsequent rounds he can use the dragonchain to deal constriction damage with a successful grapple check. In addition, the chain provides a +2 circumstance bonus to grapple checks made to deal this constriction damage."

It's not worded quite the same way that many other sources of Constrict are worded, so it's probably not quite as useful. It looks like it might only work when you make a grapple check specifically to constrict, not just as a rider whenever you make a grapple check for any reason, the way some other Constricts are worded (a Grappling Vine's constrict seems to work automatically, as does Crushing Weight of the Mountain, from Magic of Eberron and Tome of Battle, respectively.) Still, I don't recall seeing any other weapons that specifically get better when you grapple with them, or that provide the same options that the dragonchain does.

So, is there anything interesting we can do with this? Any weird avenues of optimization this opens up? It doesn't seem overwhelmingly powerful, but it does seem to be rather unique, so there might be something weird that it makes possible. What do you make of it?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dragonchain—anything cool we can do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    So, is there anything interesting we can do with this? Any weird avenues of optimization this opens up? It doesn't seem overwhelmingly powerful, but it does seem to be rather unique, so there might be something weird that it makes possible. What do you make of it?
    That's basically the base version of Constrict per the MM if d20srd is right on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#constrict
    Constrict

A creature with this special attack can crush an opponent, dealing bludgeoning damage, after making a successful grapple check. The amount of damage is given in the creature’s entry. If the creature also has the improved grab ability it deals constriction damage in addition to damage dealt by the weapon used to grab.
    Depending upon how one is not grappled while grappling an opponent with it, it's a way to get an opponent to be vulnerable to a barrage of sneak attack on a boatload of natural weapons without having to jump through hoops for improved grab, I think?

It's a fair way to lockdown single opponents at low to mid level while still contributing damage output to taking them out, but as levels increase the foes won't be as vulnerable to grappling or will have Freedom of Movement somehow, limiting effectiveness. Also, I don't see a way to really give it damage scaling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Also, I don't see a way to really give it damage scaling.
    1 - 1/2 str is nothing to scoff at - and I wonder if enchantments (Flaming/Shocking/Acidic or my personal favorite (if you're allowing PF) vicious would add to the damage of a grapple. As a grapple check counts as an attack (according to PF at least... not sure about other editions) - and the weapon is dealing damage, could these enchantments cause their damage as well?

So, you may not get a lot of shenanigans out of it, but I'm sure there are some grapple feats in whatever edition you're using, and if you had a boat load of money to blow, you could wind up with 1d8 + 1 and 1/2 str +1d6 flame +1d6 acid +1d6 lightning +1d6 frost +2d6 from vicious on top of the fact that you're tying up the enemy and hindering them from doing much else but dealing with you, effectively taking them out the fight while you're "energying"/choking them to death.

This makes a grand total of 1d8+6d6+str and a half damage every turn. Yes it's only once a turn, but you're taking an enemy out of the fight while your team cleans up behind you. Do this to the enemy mage or archer for maximum effectiveness.
    Last edited by Nibbens; 2015-02-16 at 05:12 PM.
    Roll some dice, make some stuff up!
    Current campaign: City of Progress Campaign Journal
    This guide!

A reading of notable information in The City of Progress, here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbens View Post
    1 - 1/2 str is nothing to scoff at -
    It's pretty anemic for a beatstick.

my personal favorite (if you're allowing PF) vicious
    If PF is no go, you'd have to make do with this.

As a grapple check counts as an attack (according to PF at least... not sure about other editions) - and the weapon is dealing damage, could these enchantments cause their damage as well?
    Well, grapple check is made in place of an attack. But conceivably, weapon enhancements could apply.

Yes it's only once a turn
    I don't think it is. The chain doesn't specify, but I'd think it's basically the same normal dealing damage with grapple.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2015-02-17 at 12:25 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

How would a diopsid (dragon compendium, TWF with 2H) interact with dual wielding these? Or even using a dragonchain in one set of arms, and a greatsword in the other, using the chain for grappling while they beat down a foe? Though it's unlikely to work within RAW, its an interesting concept.

For anything else, getting improved grab would be important, but that's easy enough with Spirit Bear barbarian. Unfortunate that grappling sucks, or else this would be something that I'd like to try on a PC.
    Spoiler: Build Competitions/Medals
    Show
    LX: Bronze. Krad, the Mad Strangler.
    LXII: Nebbercracker
    LXIII: LOCKDOWN Unit 4456: Honorable Mention
    LXIV: Gold. Xel'Dek, Scourge of the Underdark
    LXVI: Bronze. Sergeant Hammer
    Junkyard Wars X: Bronze. Master Lee