New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] "Look, whatever you're thinking, do me a favor; don't let go."

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    The closest thing I can think of is that I want a few Mythos with more blanket customizability, like picking any valid weapon property, or gaining an assortment of any spells of a particular level. As a construct, as far as I know, things like Alter Self could turn you into a Warforged or similar, and Polymorph could turn you into a variety of things.

Rubilax and Shark Faced Ninja Guy are kinda begging for a Mythos that involves fusing bodies with your host. That's... kinda similar?
    Not really. I mean, Alter Self would only last for a tiny amount of time, it doesn't really work for a soul-eater type weapon character. Also, Soul-Edge creates a body for himself for when he didn't have a wielder, though it was a very weak form.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: [3.5] "Look, whatever you're thinking, do me a favor; don't let go."

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Also, Soul-Edge creates a body for himself for when he didn't have a wielder, though it was a very weak form.
    Actually Zasalamel did that for him and through consuming souls he strengthened it and made it into what we see in SC 4

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Not really. I mean, Alter Self would only last for a tiny amount of time, it doesn't really work for a soul-eater type weapon character. Also, Soul-Edge creates a body for himself for when he didn't have a wielder, though it was a very weak form.
    True. Having not seen Soul Eater, it might help if you elaborate on what appeals to you about the concept. And just more about the concept in general. Soul Edge animates a suit of armor to wield him, which I can see being a Mythos. Is it similar in Soul Eater? Does the weapon literally transform into a humanoid shape? Or do they project like a magical second body? Can they wield themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Scaileanna View Post
    Actually Zasalamel did that for him and through consuming souls he strengthened it and made it into what we see in SC 4
    Wait, was that the plot of that game? I don't think teenage me ever understood what was going on.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

redface Re: [3.5] "Look, whatever you're thinking, do me a favor; don't let go."

True. Having not seen Soul Eater, it might help if you elaborate on what appeals to you about the concept. And just more about the concept in general. Soul Edge animates a suit of armor to wield him, which I can see being a Mythos. Is it similar in Soul Eater? Does the weapon literally transform into a humanoid shape? Or do they project like a magical second body? Can they wield themselves?

Wait, was that the plot of that game? I don't think teenage me ever understood what was going on.
    In soul eater some humans can transform into weapons they are human though, they can also transform parts of their body( or project parts) into their weapon form
    To expain the story of SC would take a lot of typing it in short terms the characters seek soul edge for its legendary powers though some one learning the truth of the sword or those that knew seek its destruction and soul edge, aka Nightmare, seeks souls and to become whole once more
    In the 3rd game though soul edge loses its host and Zasalamel then binds its "soul" (or essence) to the armor to give it a new body
    Last edited by Scaileanna; 2015-03-02 at 12:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

The weapon literally transforms into a humanoid, they can't really wield themselves, though they can do semi-transformations like making their arms into a blade it's hard for them to fight with the transformations since it removes their elbows and stuff. Wielding yourself wouldn't be something I'd consider necessary though, it'd be cool, but might detract from ensuring your a weapon in combat.

This clip shows the general transformation, skipped to the actual transforming bit.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2015-03-02 at 12:01 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

So, continuing under the assumption that the Syntrofos' humanoid form would not be useful in combat, what should I consider the primary attraction of the ability?

Added independence? You can theoretically walk away from a situation that you don't like, rather than being stuck there because you have no legs.

Aesthetic customization? You can participate in a social encounter as a sullen dude in a trenchcoat rather than a sullen solid-gold artifact boot-knife or whatever.

Tactical options? Can't bring your 8-foot Diamond-Encrusted Perpetually-On-Fire Orichalcum Fullblade into the fancy dress party - sneak in as a human.

Social opportunities? It's hard to have a romantic subplot when you're a battleaxe.

Something else?

edit: To prevent double posting (again ._.), I'll note it here:

I've added a new Exceptional Mythos: Privacy-Inhibiting Attachment, which turns you into a cursed weapon. Also, I've added a new manifestation to 'Magic Item Prana' which allows the addition of a Wand Chamber to the Syntrofos.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2015-03-02 at 01:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So, continuing under the assumption that the Syntrofos' humanoid form would not be useful in combat, what should I consider the primary attraction of the ability?

Added independence? You can theoretically walk away from a situation that you don't like, rather than being stuck there because you have no legs.

Aesthetic customization? You can participate in a social encounter as a sullen dude in a trenchcoat rather than a sullen solid-gold artifact boot-knife or whatever.

Tactical options? Can't bring your 8-foot Diamond-Encrusted Perpetually-On-Fire Orichalcum Fullblade into the fancy dress party - sneak in as a human.

Social opportunities? It's hard to have a romantic subplot when you're a battleaxe.

Something else?

edit: To prevent double posting (again ._.), I'll note it here:

I've added a new Exceptional Mythos: Privacy-Inhibiting Attachment, which turns you into a cursed weapon. Also, I've added a new manifestation to 'Magic Item Prana' which allows the addition of a Wand Chamber to the Syntrofos.
    I'll say for me it'd be the social opportunities, though depending on the character I may just enjoy being a angry soul devouring spear.

Though it may be amusing to be a weapon stuck in a human form.

I'll say this about Durarara(?)(I forget how many ra's there are), Saika was by far the part I found most interesting.

Spoiler: SPOILERS FOR DURARARA
    Show
    Saika is a demonic sword that loves everyone and expresses this love in the only way a sword can- by killing, cutting and maiming.

She makes many lesser "Children" that have many of her properties but are bound to her will. Saika usually takes over the mind of her wielder, but the current wielder is capable of resisting due to emotional detachment.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

One possibility would be to have the shintai make a wielder who is under your control, but make it so no one else can wield you.
    D&D Math: Where 3*3>2*2*2*2, and 1*2*2<2*2

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So what does a Syntrofos do with their gold, besides turn it into mythos points?

They can't be enchanted and most magic items are pointless for them, besides things like Weapon Crystals.

I'm sure they could just give their split of the loot to the rest of the party, but it would make it difficult for the DM to give them shiny things like everyone else.

If only because they're the shiniest thing anyone will ever find.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    So what does a Syntrofos do with their gold, besides turn it into mythos points?
    This will depend on the Syntrofos in question.

One that seeks to work closely in unison with a single wielder would be advantaged to reinvest their money into things for their wielder. In most cases you won't be the one being attacked. Your greatest shield is no mere armor class bonus, but an age-old D&D adage to the effect of "Never destroy the loot". You're loot - the best loot. No one wants to sunder you, because you could be their's next. They just have to kill the poor bastard who delivered you to them. So, buy your wielder a Ring of Deflection, or a Cloak of Resistance, and its effectively like increasing your own defensive statistics. Buy them Wings of Flying, and now you can fly, more or less. For more offensive options, get your wielder a fully stocked bandolier of Wands, obtain the Magic Item Prana mythos (for the Wand Chamber), and now you've got some spellcasting tricks to do with your actions. Or, there's precedence for magical scabbards that buff weapons sheathed in them.

This doesn't have to take the form of 'giving up' your share of the loot. You can demand your loot be partitioned just like everyone else's, then demand that your fleshbag manservant chauffeur you 'round ye olde magic shoppe so you can decide what kind of barding you're going to outfit him in for the next time you ride him into battle. You can make as many demands as you want, provided you've successfully convinced your wielder that whoever owns you is the true king of Faerun or whatever. And if you can get a strange tart in a lake to distribute you to a party of adventurers as a quest reward, they'll never question it.

The other, more antisocial option, is to go with slotless magical items, like Ioun Stones or Psychoactive Skins. There's nothing stopping you from wearing slotless items, and the ol 'staff with magic gems floating around it' isn't that uncommon of a fantasy trope, I think.

But yes, in many cases, you're just going to want to ask to take your share of the loot out of coinage and art objects, then pay a smith to trick you out with solid iridium filigree for the Mythos Points.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2015-03-08 at 11:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

just a simple curiosity question lets say I have Conducting Lightning And God-Flame Mythos and I want its both advance uses which Protective Synergy Practices and Exciting New Customization Options what I need to do and how much Mythos points I need to pay for it

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

you get one manifestation free with the mythos, and a new one costs half the price of the initial mythos. that mythos is worth 5000MP and 500XP. therefor, unless you bought the mythos, you only need 2500MP and 250XP.
    Last edited by commander panda; 2015-03-10 at 04:38 PM.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by commander panda View Post
    you get one manifestation free with the mythos, and a new one costs half the price of the initial mythos. that mythos is worth 5000MP and 500XP. therefor, unless you bought the mythos, you only need 2500MP and 250XP.
    do you mean I get 1 advance one free wen I get the main fantastic mythos

side note I am newbie for mythos brew
    Last edited by khadgar567; 2015-03-11 at 02:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    do you mean I get 1 advance one free wen I get the main fantastic mythos
    Some Mythos, in addition to their initial stated effect, have Basic and Advanced manifestations. When a Syntrofos gains access to a Mythos with a list of Basic manifestations, they may choose one such manifestation, and they gain that benefit immediately as well. This choice may not be changed later. When a Syntrofos gains access to a Mythos with a list of Advanced manifestations, they may choose one such manifestation, and they gain that benefit upon achieving their next level of Syntrofos. This choice may be changed at any point before receiving the chosen manifestation itself, but not after (choosing beforehand is just an easy way to mark it down on your character sheet so you don't forget that you'll be getting something later).
    Yes. This is unambiguous and is easy to find in the post with a ctrl+f.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey Xefas. Would you consider the Soul Reaver from... well... Soul Reaver to be a Syntrofos? Or is that another can of worms entirely?
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusExultatio View Post
    Yes. This is unambiguous and is easy to find in the post with a ctrl+f.
    well as I said in previous post newbie alert answer with noob explanation but thanks

17. - Top - End - #47

A Syntrofos cannot have their composition permanently altered, or be permanently enchanted as a magic item, except through the use of [Reforged] Mythos.
    Why? It seems analogous to gaining your own magic items.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    Hey Xefas. Would you consider the Soul Reaver from... well... Soul Reaver to be a Syntrofos? Or is that another can of worms entirely?
    It's been so long since I played the Legacy of Kain games I had to go look it up to be sure. Here's what I found.

It depends which Soul Reaver you're talking about. Kain's physical sharp metal stabby sword is called the 'Soul Reaver', and is not a Syntrofos, because it's not sentient. It's just a cool sword that eats souls.

However, Raziel shatters Kain's Soul Reaver, and absorbs the souls it had collected, forming them into a spiritual replica of the sword that is bound to him symbiotically. Then, through time travel shenanigans, it's revealed that what he was actually using was the soul of his future self killed by the sword, and that's why it was bound to him so easily... or something. I dunno. The story gets weird apparently.

This, I think you could go two ways. I think a more faithful adaptation would be an Olethrofex Mythos for capturing a soul and forming it into a weapon. However, I could also see an Exceptional [Reforged] Mythos for the Syntrofos that makes it made out of soul-energy rather than metal, if you had your heart set on a talking undead lightsaber.

Quote Originally Posted by qazzquimby View Post
    Why? It seems analogous to gaining your own magic items.
    Not every material and magic property takes into account the possibility that the item will be a player character. For example, making an item out of Aurorum makes it effectively indestructible, and costs pennies to even low level adventurers. With additional research, I might be swayed to allow them to be enchanted, but my first instinct was to disallow both. At the very least, it fosters some creativity, right?

19. - Top - End - #49

While I see your point, Aurorum would actually be interesting. You're already not likely to be destroyed since that gives up the chance to wield you, and this opens up possibilities for "fetch the however many pieces, scattered across the lands," which will be especially interesting on the mythic level, where the core of the sun or the deepest depths of hell are reasonable hiding spots.

I would have sworn there was a spell that temporarily enchanted an item, which could then be abused with spell-clocks or some other shenanigan, but I cannot find it.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

This class gives me an amusing idea: an epic level Bellator / Craftsman of Legendaria, with the 'Dissociative Omniscient Amulet Psyche' mythos granted by the Secrets of the Automonous Forge feat, that has the docent familiar take levels of Syntrofos. So you'd have a warrior-smith with a familiar that has levels in 'sword'.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

I've added a new class feature to the Syntrofos. The intent is for it to not be applicable (or, at the very least, not be a huge benefit) in most games appropriate for a Syntrofos. However, it should better facilitate the "Syntrofos finds a peasant and takes them from zero to hero." schtick.

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    Protective Impulse: While being wielded, a Syntrofos may make subtle (or, occasionally, not so subtle) twists, tugs, and other minor adjustments to their wielder's combat form, allowing them to better protect an amateur warrior. They add their Charisma modifier as a competence bonus to their wielder's Armor Class against any attack the Syntrofos is aware of. However, the amount of effort a Syntrofos is able to exert in this way is minimal, and any amount of armor worn by the wielder will negate this bonus. In addition, if their wielder already has a class feature that allows them to add one of their ability modifiers as a bonus to their Armor Class (such as a Monk adding their Wisdom to their Armor Class, or a Teramach adding their Strength), this bonus does not stack with it; use whichever bonus is higher.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Kapskaen View Post
    This class gives me an amusing idea: an epic level Bellator / Craftsman of Legendaria, with the 'Dissociative Omniscient Amulet Psyche' mythos granted by the Secrets of the Automonous Forge feat, that has the docent familiar take levels of Syntrofos. So you'd have a warrior-smith with a familiar that has levels in 'sword'.
    Oh wow, someone remembers my Craftsman of Legendaria

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Suppose I use this class and chose to either be a steel flute, a lutebow, or some other multipurpose musical-instrument-weapon. Can I make Perform (stringed/wind/sing) checks using myself? Do they count as physical actions despite being Cha checks, or would they be more similar to talking?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Suppose I use this class and chose to either be a steel flute, a lutebow, or some other multipurpose musical-instrument-weapon. Can I make Perform (stringed/wind/sing) checks using myself? Do they count as physical actions despite being Cha checks, or would they be more similar to talking?
    I would allow this.

The 'singing sword' trope is something I could devote a Mythos to, which could also include abilities for instrument-weapons, like the lutebow. I'll put that in the queue.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Cool.

Anyway, I think there's some weird and potentially hilarious interaction between Syntrofos and Skin of Proteus especially now that you can turn into practically any object within your size, for a literal swiss-army knife type of character (does he even count as "improvised weapon" then).
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

26. - Top - End - #56

shapeshifting weapon type is probably worth it's own mythos as well, to be honest. i'd definitely pay MP for that mythos.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

fyi, you seem to have forgotten to copy-paste the "Weaponized Excellence" text in.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norngremlin View Post
    fyi, you seem to have forgotten to copy-paste the "Weaponized Excellence" text in.
    Nice catch. Its been edited in.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: [3.5] "Look, whatever you're thinking, do me a favor; don't let go. "

Does the material ''upgrades'' to the Syntrofos, like Of Faultless Crystals That Rend The World stack with the restrictions of only 1 Reforged Material Mythos, or does it just replace it?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] "Look, whatever you're thinking, do me a favor; don't let go. "

Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    Does the material ''upgrades'' to the Syntrofos, like Of Faultless Crystals That Rend The World stack with the restrictions of only 1 Reforged Material Mythos, or does it just replace it?
    The intent is that the material upgrade Mythos stack on top of their original metal. Orichalcum is Super Gold, so you get both the normal Gold benefits and the Orichalcum benefits on top.

I realize now that I didn't make this intent clear at all, and will do something to the text to make it more clear. In the future.