New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] "Look, whatever you're thinking, do me a favor; don't let go."

Quote Originally Posted by qazzquimby View Post
    Not really useful, but feedback from the first games with a syntrofos. The Syntrofos gets significantly less interaction in most cases, making it more passive to play. The player was less a part of planning (though that could just be on the part of the player) and generally had less to do with the game. You could say he was *objectified* knee slap.

That, and combat options are pretty severely reduced, especially compared to initiators/castors and friends. It helps that he's gestalted with Olethrofex for dead raising and creepy phantasmagoria.
    There's a race that lets you actually act called the Entombed, which one of my fellow players is using to play a Syntrophos with an actual physical body. They have a human form and a weapon form which allows them to at the very least move about on their own.

He dumped his physical stats in favor of mental stats, but yea, said character has a physical body it can use because of the race. It might be something helpful to base some Mythos that give you a body to move around in at the very least.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] "Look, whatever you're thinking, do me a favor; don't let go."

Without such race shenanigans, I would suggest the class either for very passive players, or for players with more than one character.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

I appreciate the feedback.

Syntrofos//Olethrofex is an interesting combination. With the Night Of The Living Dead (Skeleton-Lord Mastery) Mythos, you could create armored skeletons proficient with martial weapons that could then wield you effectively, with you controlling them telepathically as an extended body. Weapon-and-Warrior Empathy would make them even better at wielding you.

I'm not sure how I feel about a Syntrofos going the Sanguine Emperor route, but Vampiric Weapons are an old fantasy trope already, so there's that.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

If, say, a Synthrofos gains natural attacks that aren't connected to a limb(such as tentacles) through Mythos, would they still be able to use the attacks?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, you people. You people. Here it is. I hope it's what you wanted. I don't like it, and I don't support its use, but it's here and you can use it if you want. You people.

Is it good? Did I miss anything? Does it need something else added?

Humanoid Spirit Projection
    Prerequisite: -
    [Exceptional]

As a full-round action, you may shift from your weapon form into a humanoid form, projecting your personality as a solid magical construct. This is a continuous Supernatural effect.

Upon acquiring this Mythos, you must decide on the appearance of your humanoid form. Choose whether it is Small or Medium size. It might have traits that identify it as a member of a particular demihuman race (such as an Elf or Dwarf), gender, or age, but the construct is not actually that race (so, for example, a Dwarf~esque Syntrofos could not use a magical item that can only be used by Dwarves), and takes no ability adjustments for its apparent age. While it may have reproductive equipment, it is sterile. Weapons take life; they do not create it.

The humanoid form is created wearing a set of clothing or armor of your design, which disappear when you return to your weapon form, but are otherwise real. The appearance of this clothing or armor remains constant each time it is created.

While in humanoid form, you lose access to your 'A Will Of My Own' and 'Protective Impulse' class features, and receive no benefits from Weapon's Mythos. However, you are free to move and act with all the freedom of a mortal human. Your humanoid form has a base Strength score equal to (10 + your Intelligence modifier + your Charisma modifier), a base Dexterity score equal to (10 + your Wisdom modifier + your Charisma modifier) and no Constitution score, as it is still a Construct. Your base land speed is 30ft.

You may return to your weapon form as a swift action, or as an immediate action in response to taking damage (you take the damage, and then return to weapon form). When you return to your weapon form, you may choose to have your hilt fly into the hands of a creature in your space, or an adjacent space, as part of the same action.

If you die while in humanoid form, you immediately return to your weapon form, and then shatter, destroyed.

While a Syntrofos' humanoid form might shift in appearance over time as their personality, ideology, or even their weapon form's appearance changes (being Reforged into Alchemical Gold might turn the Syntrofos' humanoid form's hair or skin bright gold, for example), it isn't something they can personally control. A bloodthirsty battleaxe that always appears as a massive plate-clad orc warchief cannot choose to appear as something less threatening just because it's convenient, nor could they choose to alter their features to impersonate a very particular orc warchief as a disguise, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    If, say, a Synthrofos gains natural attacks that aren't connected to a limb(such as tentacles) through Mythos, would they still be able to use the attacks?
    I would allow it.

6. - Top - End - #96

yay. WHITETEXTEVERYWHERE
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    yay.
    exactly buddy now we can make soul from soul eater now

8. - Top - End - #98
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Humanoid Spirit Projection
    It seems cool; fits a logical seeming extension of their abilities, though I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

Anyway, this is a new and pretty interesting class. I like it! Though I'm having trouble understanding something. Can a Syntrofos talk like a regular character, or do they need Weapon-and-Warrior Empathy to communicate at all?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLead24 View Post
    Anyway, this is a new and pretty interesting class. I like it! Though I'm having trouble understanding something. Can a Syntrofos talk like a regular character, or do they need Weapon-and-Warrior Empathy to communicate at all?
    Second paragraph of "A Weapon Am I":

A Syntrofos' type is 'Construct'. Unlike a normal Construct, they do not automatically gain Darkvision, Low-Light Vision, Immunity to Mind-Affecting Effects, or bonus hit points based on size. Even though they do not have eyes, ears, nerve-endings, or mouths, they may see, hear, feel, and speak as proficiently as a human, as if their entire body was a sensory organ. They can 'taste' with whatever the killing-end of their body is.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Second paragraph of "A Weapon Am I":
    Ah, my mistake! Sorry about that!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLead24 View Post
    Ah, my mistake! Sorry about that!
    No problem. I know my stuff gets wall o' texty.

12. - Top - End - #102

How broken would it be to make the Syntrofos a weapon of legacy, probably using the fixes here and here?
    Things would still be keyed off the wielder's level, and rituals would have to be per wielder, so it seems okay to me.

13. - Top - End - #103

That seems unnecessary, considering this can already do some of what legacy weapons do without convoluted rituals and heavy dependence on the wielder. Limited spell-casting, summoning minions, improving the wielder, improving the weapon... Yeah, they really don't need it.
    Last edited by Primal Fury; 2015-05-18 at 05:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104

But convoluted rituals are fun.

As a completely different idea (not that I've lost interest in the first), a cavestory weapon system that gains and loses experience based on kills and damage taken would be very interesting.
    Last edited by qazzquimby; 2015-05-18 at 06:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

So I'm playing a Syntrofos being wielded by a Tempottis (The Mythic Crusader) and a question popped up.

Do I get attacks of opportunities if someone runs away from us? And do I gain any of the benefits from my wielder's strikes? For instance a Paladin's Smite or a Fighter's Power Attack/Critical Focus etc?
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Do I get attacks of opportunities if someone runs away from us?
    Wow, I can't believe I never wrote rules for that. I'll edit this into A Weapon Am I once I make a final decision. Right now, I'm going with 'yes, as long as you're being wielded at the time'.

And do I gain any of the benefits from my wielder's strikes? For instance a Paladin's Smite or a Fighter's Power Attack/Critical Focus etc?
    You cannot use your wielder's class features or feats to modify your own attacks with yourself. If you have the Power Attack feat, you can power attack with yourself, if your wielder has the Power Attack feat, they can power attack with you, but there's no cross-over. The 'Sword-and-Swordsman Knack' manifestation is one way to get access to feats that you might not qualify for (such as Power Attack and its 13 Strength prerequisite).

Note that ongoing effects used by your wielder that effect any hit dealt by a particular weapon over a period of time, such as a Pyrokineticist's 'Weapon Afire' ability which causes any weapon they wield to deal an additional 2d6 fire damage, do benefit you.

17. - Top - End - #107

Just a quick question for you Xefas: Why did you call it "Weapon's Mythos"? You've referred to the Weapon as the Godspear, why not call it "The Godspear's Mythos"?

And while I'm at it, the Transistor in there has me thinking; are you going to make an extension of the "Steel of Lost Souls" mythos that allows you to learn abilities based on the nature of the souls you collect?
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    Just a quick question for you Xefas: Why did you call it "Weapon's Mythos"? You've referred to the Weapon as the Godspear, why not call it "The Godspear's Mythos"?
    I waffled back and forth for a few minor reasons. I would be willing to change it if there was popular support for doing so.

And while I'm at it, the Transistor in there has me thinking; are you going to make an extension of the "Steel of Lost Souls" mythos that allows you to learn abilities based on the nature of the souls you collect?
    I don't see why not.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

One of the reasons I've been hesitant to finish off/add more material Mythos is because I'm deliberating on whether I should leave them as they are, where we just sort of gloss over where the Alchemical Gold for your Syntrofos that took The Glorious King of Metals came from, or whether I should actually add a little power to the Mythos and require that an adequate amount of the requisite material be supplied by the party during the Reforging.
    What if the basic manifestations of the mythos gloss over where the metal came from, but then it had an advanced manifestation that requires you to find more of the proper material?

20. - Top - End - #110

Holy smokes. I just happened upon this. I remember seeing your Teramach quite some time ago, but forgot about it until Kymme described your classes as being as powerful as full casters with no casting mechanics (something I'm striving for in my own homebrew). I like all of them, but this one in particular seems really fresh. Also, reminds me of Soul Eater.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Holy smokes. I just happened upon this. I remember seeing your Teramach quite some time ago, but forgot about it until Kymme described your classes as being as powerful as full casters with no casting mechanics (something I'm striving for in my own homebrew). I like all of them, but this one in particular seems really fresh. Also, reminds me of Soul Eater.
    danzbir welcome to xefas weapon creation Academy where you play the weapon of your dreams ( still you can't make tsubaki or Thompson sisters thoug

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Very nice class, I love it. I've been (what seems like) the only person to have discovered the concept of intelligent items, but whatever.

Personally, I felt that the Exalted mythos were a little underwhelming. Considering the Teramach and Bellator's Exalteds, they seemed a little weak, I guess. Chronotron-Cutting Blade is very powerful, and Immortal Ore of Heaven lets you get put back together, and Plot-Crushing MacGuffin Apotheosis is a built-in plot developer. But compared to Teramach's Land-Shaping Limitation Ignorance, well, you can see the difference.

I don't know, something with a little bit more oomph would really finish this class off, you know?

Anyways, great class, I would love to play one some time. See ya!
    I do stuff.

I usually log on, look at some threads, post, watch for few minutes, then leave and come back the next day. If I don't respond to your replies immediately, don't take offence.

My Homebrewer's Signature

23. - Top - End - #113

Thoughts on possible mythos:

Poison. Let the syntrofos suck up a poison and generate it from its cutting edge (or head of a blunt weapon if it's a contact poison). Whether it's from a poisonous creature or a dose of processed poison. Possibly with a basic or advanced option to store a few poisons.

Melding. It fuses into the arm of the wielder as if with the Graft Weapon power or something of the sort. Possibly give it the option to store itself inside its wielder.

Splintering. It turns into two identical weapons, mind is shared between them, allowing it to leave one behind and act as an alert. Give it an option for one of the two paired weapons to call the other to it so that its two halves are together... Might be a good options.

A Deep Crystal Reforging mythos, maybe starting as Mundane Crystal. Gives it a bit of a psionic option rather than the magic one.

Gunblade. Seriously. Gunblade.

Something like Ragna's bloodscythe, where it deals damage and heals the wielder. Allow it to heal itself as well.

Soul Resonance. Like in Soul Eater. You have this to a degree, but in Soul Eater, Resonance was an active state where the combat ability of the wielder was greatly enhanced. Might make a decent Mythos.

Melee weapon ranged attack, this is a staple of sword users in Anime, an energy blast from the weapon that can cleave buildings in two. Maybe not to that degree for a syntrofos, but it's a decent option.

An incarnum reservoir. The weapon is sentient, it may as well have a soul it can draw from. Not sure how this would be implemented, but it's an idea.

Any of these look good?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Exceptional Mythos
    Trick-Weapon Transformation
    Be it through ingeniously designed mechanisms or outright shape shifting, you have the ability to transform into 1 or more alternate weapon forms. You may choose a single weapon of the same size or up to one size category larger or smaller, you may shift between forms as a move action.

If your alternate form is smaller then your normal form, when transforming you may choose to form a pair of weapons of that type. You may treat this duplicate as 'You' for all intents and purposes. Both weapons share the same hit points and pool of actions, and anything that affects one affects the other. You may gain extra attacks on a full-attack action as if two-weapon fighting, with all the same penalties. You may sense/speak through either weapon across any distance, even across planes. While split, you cannot transform back to your normal form unless both parts are brought within 5ft of one another. You may stay split indefinitely until an effect reduces your hit points to less then one-half your maximum at which point one of your selves (your choice) vanishes and the other immediately reverts back to your normal form. You are stunned for 1 round following this event.

Fantastic Mythos
    Infinity Swords +1
    Requires: Trick-Weapon Transformation

Your ability to change forms improves, allowing you to assume a hybrid form choosing traits of each from either of your base weapons. You may mix and match freely between all the following weapon traits (each line represents a single trait). A wielder must proficient in both of your base forms or else suffer the standard non-proficiency penalty.
    Base Damage/Damage Type
    Size/Reach
    Critical Threat/Critical Multiplier
    Throwing Range Increment
    Bonuses to Special attack forms

Example: Valantine, a Longsword Syntrophos with a Whip alternate form, takes this Mythos and assumes the following hybrid form;
    Base Damage 1d8 Slashing (longsword)
    Size/Reach Medium 15ft (as Whip, so can attack adjacent targets but do not threaten squares)
    Critical 19-20/x2 (as longsword)
    Throwing: n/a (neither weapon has this abilty)
    +2 to Disarm, may be used to make trip attacks. (as whip)

In addition to the above hybrid form, you may also become a double weapon where each 'head' is treated as of your two normal weapon forms, you are wielded as a two-handed exotic weapon while in this form.

Example: Fuuma, a Longsword with a Two-Bladed sword alternate form, may form a double weapon with one head being a longsword and the other being a Two-Bladed sword. Since Fuuma now has three attacking ends, a character with the multi-weapon fighting feat or a similar ability may make 2 extra attacks with Fuuma on a full-attack action while only needing 2 hands to wield it.
    Last edited by SkipSandwich; 2015-06-04 at 11:07 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by SkipSandwich View Post
    Trick-Weapon Transformation
    Be it through ingeniously designed mechanisms or outright shape shifting, you have the ability to transform into 1 or more alternate weapon forms. You may choose a single weapon of the same size or up to one size category larger or smaller, you may shift between forms as a move action.

Advanced: If your alternate form is smaller then your normal form, when transforming you may choose to form a pair of weapons of that type. You may treat this duplicate as 'You' for all intents and purposes. Both weapons share the same hit points and pool of actions, and anything that affects one affects the other. You may sense/speak through either weapon across any distance, even across planes. While split, you cannot transform back to your normal form unless both parts are brought within 5ft of one another. You may stay split indefinitely until an effect reduces your hit points to less then one-half your maximum at which point one your selves (your choice) vanishes and the other immediately reverts back to your normal form. You are stunned for 1 round following this event.

Infinity Sword +1
    Requires: Trick-Weapon Transformation

Your ability to change forms improves, allowing you to assume a hybrid form choosing traits of each of your base weapons. You may mix and match freely between all the following weapon traits (each line represents a single trait). A wielder must proficient in both of your base forms or else suffer the standard non-proficiency penalty.
    Base Damage/Damage Type
    Size/Reach
    Critical Threat/Critical Multiplier
    Throwing Range Increment
    Bonuses to Special attack forms

Example: Valantine, a Longsword Syntrophos with a Whip alternate form, takes this Mythos and assumes the following hybrid form;
    Base Damage 1d8 Slashing (longsword)
    Size/Reach Medium 15ft (as Whip, so can attack adjacent targets but do not threaten squares)
    Critical 19-20/x2 (as longsword)
    Throwing: n/a (neither weapon has this abilty)
    +2 to Disarm, may be used to make trip attacks.

Advanced: In addition to the above hybrid form, you may also become a double weapon where each 'head' is one of your two normal weapon forms, you are wielded as a two-handed exotic weapon.

Example: Fuuma, a Longsword with a Two-Bladed sword alternate form, may form a double weapon with one head being a longsword and the other being a Two-Bladed sword. Since Fuuma now has three attacking ends, a character with the multi-weapon fighting feat or a similar ability may make 2 extra attacks with Fuuma on a full-attack action while only needing 2 hands to wield it.

i like this mythos, but if i may make a suggestion, i don't think you need the advanced manifestations to be separate. if there's only one extra manifestation per mythos then it ends up being taken anyway, and they aren't really powerful enough to warrant being separate (well, ok, the first one could be justified if it had other manifestations.)

EDIT: also, we need the mythos tiers
    Last edited by commander panda; 2015-06-04 at 10:14 AM.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

eek Re: [3.5] "Look, whatever you're thinking, do me a favor; don't let go."

Whoops! Forgot to include the Tiers, the post has been edited. I also included a line for split weapon transformations allowing you to gain extra attacks as if two-weapon fighting while split.

27. - Top - End - #117

The Syntrofos has a lot of Exceptional Tier Mythos, not much for the other Mythos Tiers...
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    The Syntrofos has a lot of Exceptional Tier Mythos, not much for the other Mythos Tiers...
    It's like 15% done.

29. - Top - End - #119

It's like 15% done.
    I realize. It's part of why I made that post with a bunch of ideas on it.

I do like SkipSandwich's idea for shifting into/combining weapons, makes things like Ivy's Valentine, Leon's Gunblade, and Ragna's Bloodscythe possible.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    I realize. It's part of why I made that post with a bunch of ideas on it.

I do like SkipSandwich's idea for shifting into/combining weapons, makes things like Ivy's Valentine, Leon's Gunblade, and Ragna's Bloodscythe possible.
    or soul eaters tsubaki. who transforms multiple weapons
    speaking of tsubaki you can also make Haru glory's Ten Commandments via after mentioned mythos's from SkipSandwich
    before forgetting gunblade and tompson sisters still need the range mythos for both crunch and fluff