New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #4: Rage Against the God-Machine

I thjnk it would be cool if there was no Y splat. The idea being that sues would be too self absorbed to acknowledge one another in a communal hierarchical system of any formality. No one would do the filing or administration..

As for X splats how about considering all the different types of fanfics there are. Such as self inserts or deliberately bad homages or whatever.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2015-03-30 at 06:08 PM.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Isn't Resistant Damage a Mage-Only thing? That they're getting rid of anyways?

My guess would be that the assumption in Werewolf is that there is no resistant damage.
    We're getting rid of it? Huh.

(Checks draft)

No. Still there.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Aparently, satiety 10 renders you temporarily human. No clue what 0 does.
    Probably makes you go full monster for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    And your fear is that someone will say "let's play a game of vampire! Vampire book only!" And the player will go "okay, I have a beast for that"?
    That is correct. Though it's less of a fear and more of a bemused prediction.

Because that's just ignoring the rules.
    Won't stop the sorts of players I'm talking about from trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    You know, even thought slashers are nice, I think the idea of a movie serial killer is actually better represented by 2nd edition werewolf.

Slashers are movie serial killers true but Werewolves have the tools to enforce everything else that happens in a horror movie. The idiots separating from the group to investigate on some flimsy reasons is something a werewolf can make happen, phones that stop working, somehow being directed toward the killer no matter where you go and so on and so forth.
    *takes notes*
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2015-03-31 at 01:52 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrookshaw View Post
    We're getting rid of it? Huh.

(Checks draft)

No. Still there.
    Clearly I need to reread the threads and stuff, I swear I heard that somewhere.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    I thjnk it would be cool if there was no Y splat. The idea being that sues would be too self absorbed to acknowledge one another in a communal hierarchical system of any formality. No one would do the filing or administration..
    Been seriously considering this, I'm just ever so slightly worried it might not give enough diversity for players who want to make their Sue REALLY special

As for X splats how about considering all the different types of fanfics there are. Such as self inserts or deliberately bad homages or whatever.
    I totally thought of this first. No I didn't.

I'll probably go with this for now, it fits in with the parody angle I have at the moment.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #276

Kobold

Is, this project serious or meant to be mechanically balanced as well as a normal wod game?

Anyways I think regardless you need to have some different elements ,that set it apart from normal wod gamelines, in this case lacking y splats entirely.

Seriously if you really are that spescuel you don't need to join a social club. You make your own.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Is, this project serious or meant to be mechanically balanced as well as a normal wod game?

Anyways I think regardless you need to have some different elements ,that set it apart from normal wod gamelines, in this case lacking y splats entirely.

Seriously if you really are that spescuel you don't need to join a social club. You make your own.
    The project is serious in that I plan to actually write it. It is also intended to be balanced with the 2e game lines as much as possible, just because I think it would be funny for the splat all about being special and awesome to be no stringer than any other. Tone wise it is intended to hit as being partially serious, and partially a parody of bad writing.

I get the point about the lack of Y-splat, I'll probably make the X-splats more customisable. And no non-affinity powers, everyone knows that someone as special as you can't not have an affinity for something (mechanics wise, all cliches cost 4XP). X-splats instead give a passive power and a few dots of merits.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #278

Kobold

So what kind of layout or progression mechanic will powers follow? Like Demon? Or maybe something like Werewolf moon gifts?

Also, consider having a "no mana" style of mechanics so there's no resource spending, yet there is still a "per turn" mechanic, putting a cap on how "Special" you can be, You'll always be special and have powers, but you can't use them all at the same time so to speak.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #279
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Geist has its X-splat as Origin Story and its Y-splat as the attitude the character takes towards their powers, rather than any sort of formal heirarchy or organization.

For a Sue, I could see the Y-splat being, like, the type of Sue they are (Possession Sue, Parody Sue, Relationship Sue, Godmode Sue, Jerk Sue) and the X-splat being their 'home genre' (Horror/Thriller, Action, Romance, Mystery, Drama). The Left-Handed Splat, of course, would be the Villain Sue.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Colossus in the Playground

So for Example, a Possesion Sue would be a Body Jacker and thus have the basic Abillities of an other splat, or maybe be able to take Mortal Supernatural Power Merits which are usually denied to other splats, and if their native genre is horror, then of course they can just sense when something hostile is nearby.

Betcha they're the kinda girl that would really like to screw Freddy K, and can easily convince him that she's to interesting to murder and yes I'm going from a real suefic for this one my god it's awful.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #281

Kobold

Moving away from sue for a whole until Wiz can make a reply.

From my readings of the beast thread I am getting the feeling Heroes exists without Beasts to slay but a beast simply triggers their natural impulses to be glory hounds.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #282

From my readings of the beast thread I am getting the feeling Heroes exists without Beasts to slay but a beast simply triggers their natural impulses to be glory hounds.
    I sort of got the opposite idea. The potential for the Hero exists, but only the presence/existence of a Beast actually catalyzes that potential and turns a mortal into a Hero.

13. - Top - End - #283

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I sort of got the opposite idea. The potential for the Hero exists, but only the presence/existence of a Beast actually catalyzes that potential and turns a mortal into a Hero.
    Good to know I am,not the only one speculating on their origins. I'm guessing they are not intended to be playable but maybe a,supplement will. Allow it to be so. Like the pure or seers.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

So what kind of layout or progression mechanic will powers follow? Like Demon? Or maybe something like Werewolf moon gifts?

Also, consider having a "no mana" style of mechanics so there's no resource spending, yet there is still a "per turn" mechanic, putting a cap on how "Special" you can be, You'll always be special and have powers, but you can't use them all at the same time so to speak.
    Geist has its X-splat as Origin Story and its Y-splat as the attitude the character takes towards their powers, rather than any sort of formal heirarchy or organization.

For a Sue, I could see the Y-splat being, like, the type of Sue they are (Possession Sue, Parody Sue, Relationship Sue, Godmode Sue, Jerk Sue) and the X-splat being their 'home genre' (Horror/Thriller, Action, Romance, Mystery, Drama). The Left-Handed Splat, of course, would be the Villain Sue.

Sorry, been concentrating on my revision, I won't be able to do anything major until after exams.

I like the idea of using genre/type as the splats, I'm also considering moving Cliches to being more Charm-like, in that you have a set of Cliches related to a skill instead of separating them by theme. I think it lets a Sue be their own special thing, because you wouldn't want to limit yourself to somebody else's theme would you?

With regards to the mana issue, I like the suggestion and may have each point of Awesome allow the Sue to have 1 active cliche. Cliches are always active powers that modify existing actions instead of letting you do something new, and the speed with which you can switch them around is also based on eAwesome. A Specialness 0 Sue becomes a Mundane, a being jealous of Sues for their Specialness, and although they still retain access to cliches, they lose their genre and type powers unless they can somehow their Specialness, normally by draining it from a Sue (which starts at 1 and must be regained normally).

Show

15. - Top - End - #285

Kobold

eek Re: General WoD Discussion #4: Rage Against the God-Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Sorry, been concentrating on my revision, I won't be able to do anything major until after exams.

I like the idea of using genre/type as the splats, I'm also considering moving Cliches to being more Charm-like, in that you have a set of Cliches related to a skill instead of separating them by theme. I think it lets a Sue be their own special thing, because you wouldn't want to limit yourself to somebody else's theme would you?

With regards to the mana issue, I like the suggestion and may have each point of Awesome allow the Sue to have 1 active cliche. Cliches are always active powers that modify existing actions instead of letting you do something new, and the speed with which you can switch them around is also based on eAwesome. A Specialness 0 Sue becomes a Mundane, a being jealous of Sues for their Specialness, and although they still retain access to cliches, they lose their genre and type powers unless they can somehow their Specialness, normally by draining it from a Sue (which starts at 1 and must be regained normally).

Perhaps there ways to reduce or penalize awesomeness. Like say getting demoralized reduces awesomeness. Anyways,just spit balling. I can dig the rest . A part of me wants to know how you'll seperate this from princess

Well I had a weird ramble tangent involving genius. I'm editing it out mostly because I realize it was not proper to add in.

Anyways , apparently the Beast thread is now discussing the relationship they would have. It's interesting to note that they are considered the "basement dwellers of the house".

Less on genius we know all,5 fears and familiez
    Last edited by Almarck; 2015-04-02 at 03:04 PM.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #286

We got some more interesting Beast stuff from RPGnet today.

Beasts that are friendly with Prometheans, despite beasts normally being "**** yes, I'm a monster" tend to be totally supportive of the Promethean's desire to become human.

Because when Prometheans talking about Disquiet and Torment, the Beast heres "There's something wrong with me, I don't understand completely, but I know what I can do to fix it and feel right", and the Beast's can sympathize.

Beasts are born easts, and know that they're different, but don't' realize why until after they have Their Homecoming.

"Being human never felt right for me, and realizing I was a monster made me feel right. if being a monster feels wrong for Cousin Frankie, then who am I to judge him for wanting to be human?"

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #287

Kobold

Beasts that are friendly with Prometheans, despite beasts normally being "**** yes, I'm a monster" tend to be totally supportive of the Promethean's desire to become human.

Because when Prometheans talking about Disquiet and Torment, the Beast heres "There's something wrong with me, I don't understand completely, but I know what I can do to fix it and feel right", and the Beast's can sympathize.

Beasts are born easts, and know that they're different, but don't' realize why until after they have Their Homecoming.

"Being human never felt right for me, and realizing I was a monster made me feel right. if being a monster feels wrong for Cousin Frankie, then who am I to judge him for wanting to be human?"
    That suddenly makes so much sense now. Reading the thread I couldn't piece it together so thanks for telling me. Identity issues are kinda neat.

By the way what,are your choices for picking a,beast. What,sample characters yoy are thinking? I'm thinking of some sort of weird worm thing that tunnels and feeds off of the sense of impending doom of an earthquake.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #288

Have you ever heard of Gustave The Crocodile? If he's 10, I want a beast that's turned up to 11.

I'm also partial to a Beast that styles herself as a mother of all monsters who has Kinship Powers based on Vampires that make her blood extra nutritious for the kindred, and who has some self healing abilities, who partners with Vampires from the Circle of the Crone who worship her as an Avatar of the Crone or a Living Saint associated with her, and that she feeds them her blood from the source as a horrifica and twisted parody of a mother nursing her children.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #289

Kobold

Have you ever heard of Gustave The Crocodile? If he's 10, I want a beast that's turned up to 11.

I'm also partial to a Beast that styles herself as a mother of all monsters who has Kinship Powers based on Vampires that make her blood extra nutritious for the kindred, and who has some self healing abilities, who partners with Vampires from the Circle of the Crone who worship her as an Avatar of the Crone or a Living Saint associated with her, and that she feeds them her blood from the source as a horrifica and twisted parody of a mother nursing her children.
    That's sick.

Where's the up vote button?

Hehe, well, I like beasts, atleast to an extent. Not sure if I actually would play as one in a campaign if given the choice, but I do like the idea that they exist.

A part of me wonders if OP will run a parody of Beast from, well, that movie, as a sort of metareference. It'd be nonsensical, but be hilarious.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

So the Beast playtest got leaked. Onyx Path are like sieve with this stuff.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps there ways to reduce or penalize awesomeness. Like say getting demoralized reduces awesomeness. Anyways,just spit balling. I can dig the rest . A part of me wants to know how you'll seperate this from princess
    At the moment, I'm separating it from Princess by using oWoD mechanics (because, with all it's problems, I prefer it as a system), but it'll likely evolve along the way (still using X splats and Y splats because I prefer the way the work to oWoD's as many types of splat as you want). In that vein, I'm currently working with Awesome as a rating of 1-10, with temporary points that can be spent to soak damage, increase attributes, or supercharge your cliches. Cliches are mostly passive boosts, and work as before. Specialness is currently not being used, but is on standby if I need another stat. Example cliches are:

I have a Gun firearms ••
    System: you can always pull out either a light or heavy pistol, even if you have recently been strip searched. In addition you always have ammunition for a weapon, even if you've never used it before.

Silver Tongue expression ••••
    System: nobody can resist your charms. Any expression roll to influence someone that would be impossible or have a difficulty higher than 8 is instead treated as if it was difficulty 8.

In other news, I recently picked up Wraith: the Oblivion and plan to run a game of it, anybody got any advice.

Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Ai Shub-Niggurath, Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

So are beasts immune to disquiet then?

Also, something tells me that beasts are going to rather less friendly with hunters. Not that hunters themselves are generally friendly with any other splat, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Ai Shub-Niggurath, Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    ...Well now that you've said that, if I ever play Beast my first character will have to be Cthulhu.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

All this Beast talk is making me think of adapting one of my favourite films 'The Ghost and the Darkness'
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116409/?ref_=nv_sr_2

as a one-shot historical Hunter game with the Lions as Beasts when the game comes out
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Yes.

Or a least that's the working assumption-that was said pretty Early on in the RPGnet thread.

Also, in the OnyxPath thread, there was posted a quote from the book "for what it's worth, from up there you look just like them" that was later confirmed to be a Promethean Stereotype.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post

Also, something tells me that beasts are going to rather less friendly with hunters. Not that hunters themselves are generally friendly with any other splat, but still.

...Well now that you've said that, if I ever play Beast my first character will have to be Cthulhu.
    Actually makes me wonder how Beasts, Hunters, and Heroes will interact. From the little I understand, a Hero is somewhat personal to a Beast; that is their nemesis, their narrative-enforced antagonist. Hunters who are not the beast's Hero might be able to hurt or even kill the Beast, but only the Hero can actually destroy them permanently.

That's how I imagine it, at least.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    In other news, I recently picked up Wraith: the Oblivion and plan to run a game of it, anybody got any advice.
    I recommend a prescription for Prozac.

I am only half kidding

28. - Top - End - #298

Actually makes me wonder how Beasts, Hunters, and Heroes will interact. From the little I understand, a Hero is somewhat personal to a Beast; that is their nemesis, their narrative-enforced antagonist. Hunters who are not the beast's Hero might be able to hurt or even kill the Beast, but only the Hero can actually destroy them permanently.

That's how I imagine it, at least.
    From the RPGnet thread, Heroes are by default what Hunters are afraid of being-they're closer to Slashers than Hunters.

Particular since they tend to be created to Hunt Beasts, but only when the Beast's soul goes rampaging through the dream scape(which only causes bad dreams)

The Beast's soul is more likely to do that when the beast isn't feeding, which is to say, when they're not hurting anyone.

I wouldn't go through the thread looking for that though, becuase there are scores of Pages about people complaing about how the Heroes are categorized as asshats and not getting that calling them heores in irony and or sarcasm on the part of the Beasts, and comparing tem to the mentally ill and call them Victims of th Beast and forgetting that they're most likely to hunt Beasts that aren't hurting anyone.

We don't even know the exact mechanics yet-for all we know, Heroes were always the jackasses who thought everything was about them, and having Nightmares about the Beast just made them think "Yes, this is my destiny, I'll slay the monster and get the glory, then everyone will love me forever!!!!111!!1!"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #299

Kobold

My feelings on Heroes were that they are more akin to "Classical" era as in Greek or the like rather than the modern perception of what a hero is.

I'm talking about dysfunctional individuals that really should be an in an asylum or seeking professional help because of their questionable choices. Especially since they take the "Might makes Right" approach.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #300

Exactly-Medusa was a rape victim who got hit with the Ultimate version of slut shaming(cursed with ugliness by the gods themselves for the crime of being attractive enough to rape) She and sisters are justifiably pissed off about all of this, and the Perseus, the "Hero", comes and lops her head off.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks