New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Necromancy Gate?

Is there a Necromancy version of Gate in 3.5, or something similar?
    Warforged Avatar graciously provided by linkele!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Necromancy Gate?

Do you mean the ability to call back someone who is dead under your command? Not that I know of. Closest thing I can think of might be General of Undeath but that is nothing like Gate mechanically, but you can use it to command extremely high HD undead.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-03-06 at 02:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Specifically, the inter dimensional travel. I'd like to open a portal but I need to find a Necromancy spell for it via Dread Necromancer's advanced learning.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Given that Gate can already call undead things to you, I don't see what the purpose would be of making a separate Necromancy version. So no, I don't think anything like that exists. Even the Summon Undead spells are Conjuration, not Necromancy, because that's how summoning/calling works.

If you have a permissive GM, you could try to research a special Necromancy version, though I don't know what you'd do to make it different enough to be worth the school change. (And, of course, if you're trying to do some kind of shenanigans based on things that only apply to Necromancy spells, your GM would be taking a very understandable stance if he or she shut that down, since Gate is already crazy powerful enough without shenanigans involved.)

EDIT: Just saw your post. Interdimensional travel is pretty much 100% only Conjuration's domain. The only exception I can think of is Shadow Walk, which is Illusion, so maybe your Necromancy interdimensional travel spell would be only for going to/from the Negative Energy Plane?
    Last edited by Zaq; 2015-03-06 at 02:49 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

It really isn't Necromancy's purview in D&D. Sorry.

For what purpose do you need the interdimensional travel? Maybe we can help you work something out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    If you have a permissive GM, you could try to research a special Necromancy version, though I don't know what you'd do to make it different enough to be worth the school change.
    We could just be naughty and steal from Dominic Deegan; they actually had a necromantically powered interdimensional portal. It used the souls of the recently dead to power it.

Idea: Souls naturally travel from the Material Plane to the Outer Planes upon death. Fluff it as you are able to follow the most heavily "tread" roads. It would be like Gate but only work between the Material and Outer Planes as you follow the paths that the souls follow. As a DM I would be loathe to allow another Gate thanks to its ludicrous power, even as a travel spell, but a weaker version with yummy fluff I can get behind.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

You have Planar Binding on your spell list already. Summon a Nightmare.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Find a way to reanimate an intelligent version of something (e.g. a Nightmare?) that can take you wherever you're trying to go.

EDIT: Or bind one - yeah let's go with that.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-03-06 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

IIRC they have Planar Binding but not Magic Circle Against X, giving them issues in using Planar Binding. I may just have to look that up.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Closest thing I can think of is Door of Decay from Complete Champion, but it's 5th level, and it's conjuration. A Dread Necro can learn it though and it teleports. Maybe asking for a brewed supped up version of it?
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Most DMs will let you use Planar Binding without a Magic Circle if you ask and promise that you're aware of how dangerous that is. If you're planning to call a Nightmare only to kill it and raise it from the dead to server as a planewalking mount, you probably don't need the circle.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Does Magic Circle against X even work with Planar Binding? You need to cast Planar Binding within 1 round of casting Magic Circle against X, but Planar Binding has a casting time of 10 minutes. It's improbable that you'll be able to cast a spell while you're casting another spell.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Specifically, the inter dimensional travel. I'd like to open a portal but I need to find a Necromancy spell for it via Dread Necromancer's advanced learning.
    My suggestion: A custom spell. Take a look at door of decay in Complete Champion for inspiration. It's a Conjuration (teleportation) spell that can explicitly be taken by a DN's Advanced Learning.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grek View Post
    You have Planar Binding on your spell list already. Summon a Nightmare.
    This is a non-cheesy way of doing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    It really isn't Necromancy's purview in D&D. Sorry.

For what purpose do you need the interdimensional travel? Maybe we can help you work something out.
    Long story short.....my PC became a semi NPC and is in position to be our BBEG. (Everyone is OK with however it plays out.) Of course, I'd like to win. If I could open gates in their home cities and cause chaos, it's an advantage. For flavor purposes, undead on our campaign world recognize me.

Other options include Planar Binding (I have magic circle vs good via arcane disciple). Assassins that aren't undead will make things less obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    IIRC they have Planar Binding but not Magic Circle Against X, giving them issues in using Planar Binding. I may just have to look that up.
    See above. ;)