New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Unusual House Rules

Never, EVER, touch the DM's dice.
    In a similar vein, any dice Alex uses have to be quarantined. Dude's practically made of bad luck.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Off with his head!

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    The metagaming I can understand.

But the rest of it...
    No one affronts the seriousness of the gaming table on my watch! *angrily slams fist on table*
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2015-03-17 at 01:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Wait, he motorboated a goddess to death?
    Exactly that, he motorboated a goddes to death, and got her job in the process.
    Homebrew:
    The inFAMOUS Conduit base class. Wow I actually finished it...
    The Darksiders base class, based on the videogame with the same name.

I also draw some stuff here, Gamespectre on Deviantart

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVG View Post
    That must have been the manliest man ever🎲

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you also gain her title? Because Gruk the Bloodslayer, Goddess of the hearth needs to be a thing as far as I'm concerned. And it needs to be in an in-character, in-setting late night talk show, filmed in front of a live dungeon audience.

"What happens when low mental stat heroes attain divinity, next, on Eliminister Tonight!" /introsong.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    Do you also gain her title? Because Gruk the Bloodslayer, Goddess of the hearth needs to be a thing as far as I'm concerned. And it needs to be in an in-character, in-setting late night talk show, filmed in front of a live dungeon audience.

"What happens when low mental stat heroes attain divinity, next, on Eliminister Tonight!" /introsong.
    So what channel will this be on or is it pay per view (I'm joking of course)🎲

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVG View Post
    Welp, looks like that's it, someone has officially won at being a player character.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

'So Gruk, when did you decide to become Goddess of the Hearth?'

'Well, it was after I killed her and looted the divinity, strangest thing, seems like the gods had an opening.'

'You sound different to the last time you were on the show Gruk.'

'I was embarrassing the other gods, they thought I could do with a read. I ended up with a +5 inherent bonus to INT.'
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    The oddest rule I ever played with was one GM who had a super crits rule. If you rolled a 20 to threaten, and then a 20 to confirm there was a third confirmation roll. If this hit, the attack was a 100% instant kill. It didn't matter what when the attack or target was "20"-"20"-"hit", meant that thing was dead.

This only ever actually ever killed something once. It was generic level 1 NPC sailor in a battle against a Kraken on a boat - pretty much the opening blow of the fight. He had to pause for a full minute or two to consider what was going on, before deciding the sailor had somehow strangled it with the ships anchor? It was a very odd, and very funny moment.
    This is actually in the third edition DMG as an official varients, so its a pretty common houserule.

I perfer thr 2nd ed exploding crit systems where a nat twenty just gave you an extra attack which could itself generate extra attacks so long as more twenties kept being rolled.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    This is actually in the third edition DMG as an official varients, so its a pretty common houserule.

I perfer thr 2nd ed exploding crit systems where a nat twenty just gave you an extra attack which could itself generate extra attacks so long as more twenties kept being rolled.
    Me too. It's the crit system I use. A 20 is an automatic hit that inflicts normal damage and gives you an instant free attack. If that free attack hits, you inflict normal damage. If that free attack was a 20, you get another attack. It has the benefit of making more-skilled fighters more likely to crit.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Not an RPG, but here's one for Magic: the Gathering. A friend and I had a houserule that, whenever you used anything that gave you "one mana of any color", if you didn't need any particular color, you had to choose a new one every time. So a long game could end up seeing mauve mana, ocher mana, teal mana, plaid mana, ultraviolet mana...
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Not an RPG, but here's one for Magic: the Gathering. A friend and I had a houserule that, whenever you used anything that gave you "one mana of any color", if you didn't need any particular color, you had to choose a new one every time. So a long game could end up seeing mauve mana, ocher mana, teal mana, plaid mana, ultraviolet mana...
    Kind of a tangent, but I feel that a lot of games have an unwritten rule that you have to choose from something "that exists". In this case, mana colors.

I see a lot of people on the TO D&D boards doing something similar, for example using Polymorph any Object to make things for which there are no rules or using the Sarrukhs grant any ability power to make up new abilities that don't exist like "I automatically win power".

I remember the old Arabian Nights card "Ring of Maruf" allowing you to swap it out for any other card you own. Of course, it never specified it had to be a Magic card... What is the casting cost of the Ace of Spades or Topps Baseball card I wonder?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

We play with a 24oz Mountain Dew per person limit, after the Mountain Dew Day of '09.

Spoiler: context
    Show
    The host-player's largish fridge was COMPLETELY FILLED with cans of mountain dew. I spent more time waiting for my players to come back from the bathroom than actually running the game...

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

What is the casting cost of the Ace of Spades or Topps Baseball card I wonder?
    iirc: Cards without a printed mana cost can't be cast (because their cost can't be paid), unless something says cast it "without paying mana cost", have a CMC of 0 and no color unless an ability says they do.

Assuming you get the casting cost issue, I assume the spell would go on the stack and then the game engine would just kind of "Crash" when it comes time to resolve it since the card lacks a type.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2015-03-18 at 04:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

I remember the old Arabian Nights card "Ring of Maruf" allowing you to swap it out for any other card you own. Of course, it never specified it had to be a Magic card... What is the casting cost of the Ace of Spades or Topps Baseball card I wonder?
    There's a card in the Over The Edge CCG that let you do that - "Copyright Violation", IIRC. It used the first number on the card for the cost, the second for the attack, third for defense.
    Some joker pointed out this went well with one of the cards from the Redemption CCG that was current back then. I shudder to think what it could do with Yu-Gi-Oh.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2015-03-18 at 05:08 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Well, I'm PRETTY sure this was stolen from Tabletop Titans (that was the webcomic name, right?), but the one GM I've actually played with face to face demanded that Settlers of Catan never be mentioned, since it's a "German land grabbing game".

I am certain it was stolen from that webcomic.
    Who's that girl?
    It's empy!
    (Yeah call me empy, and also I am not actually female)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Do you also gain her title? Because Gruk the Boobslayer, Goddess of the hearth needs to be a thing as far as I'm concerned.
    Fixed that for you.
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2015-03-18 at 09:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth Talakeal:

Kind of a tangent, but I feel that a lot of games have an unwritten rule that you have to choose from something "that exists". In this case, mana colors.
    That is, in fact, a written rule in current M:tG, though we played in an earlier day when the rules weren't nearly so detailed. In any event, though, the existence of a houserule can override a standard rule. And I don't know of any way to actually abuse mauve mana (though a mauve-colored spell could be mildly abusable).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #49

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmperor View Post
    Well, I'm PRETTY sure this was stolen from Tabletop Titans (that was the webcomic name, right?), but the one GM I've actually played with face to face demanded that Settlers of Catan never be mentioned, since it's a "German land grabbing game".

http://tabletitans.com/comic/mines-of-madness-page-1

re: mixing CCGs...does Pikachu die to Doom Blade?
    Campaign Log (updated May 12, 2016)! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...d-other-tales)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmperor View Post

Wait, what? But that's up there as my 4th favourite board game!

I wonder what would happen if you managed to mention Carcasone, Seven Wonders, Agricola, and Dominion in the same sentence. All games that share some themes with Settlers of Catan (and rounding out my favourite five), what's wrong with a game focused on development.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

We've always run with the house rule that any character who utters any variation of the phrase 'nothing can stop us now' will always have their next roll treated as the 'worst' result. Natural 1's with hilarious consequences, tables suddenly rolling the most 'amusing' result...

Seen as Lady Luck punishing those who, in their hubris, think themselves infallible.
    Currently DMing: Final Fantasy RPG 3e, Pokémon Tabletop United

22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground

We had the Monkey Rule back in high school. One person says the following joke.

Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?
    Because it was July!

If this joke is funny, we where up to late and it was time to stop. the first time this rule was enacted we had been playing for about 18 hours and I literally fell out of my chair laughing.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

At my table I don't use critical success or failure tables, although if you ever manage to get an attack roll to after modifiers be negative, you roll your damage against yourself. (I made this rule when a player made a character with a -6 on her attack rolls and still wanted to wield a sword)
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Loxagn View Post
    We've always run with the house rule that any character who utters any variation of the phrase 'nothing can stop us now' will always have their next roll treated as the 'worst' result. Natural 1's with hilarious consequences, tables suddenly rolling the most 'amusing' result...
    At one point we had - not so much a "rule", more an observation of the world - that anytime we went into an encounter without anyone using some variant on the phrase "we're all gonna die", we would lose at least half the party.

Using the magic phrase became talismanic. It didn't actually work, of course, but it made us all feel better.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

25. - Top - End - #55
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    What is an unusual house rule specific to your gaming table? I'm not talking No Variant Human or No Synthesis Summoner. I'm talking something very distinct for your table?

Mine? NO DURIAN ALLOWED.

If I have to explain, you've never had Durian. It's a fruit that can only be described as a moldy onion left to ferment in an old sweat sock. This issue has come up once. ONCE.

Why aren't PCs allowed to use Durian-based tactics in-game? It's too cruel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #56

BlueWizardGirl

I'm not sure if it's unusual, but when I run the game I have the Early Installment Weirdness Rule:

You can change anything about your character's back story and characterization, even if it has come up in play, between the first and second full sessions. DM still reserves veto rights, of course.

I've only had one person use it (Dwarven Samurai* escorting his lord on a diplomacy mission when lord is kidnapped, forcing him to work with party during rescue mission -> Dwarven Samuri shipwrecked during freak storm, must locate the rest of his companions without damaging already strained diplomatic relations between his and rest of PC's nations.) but I think it's improved overall quality of RP at my table since I started using it.

*Swordsage with the serial numbers filed off.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    I'm not sure if it's unusual, but when I run the game I have the Early Installment Weirdness Rule:

You can change anything about your character's back story and characterization, even if it has come up in play, between the first and second full sessions. DM still reserves veto rights, of course.

I've only had one person use it (Dwarven Samurai* escorting his lord on a diplomacy mission when lord is kidnapped, forcing him to work with party during rescue mission -> Dwarven Samuri shipwrecked during freak storm, must locate the rest of his companions without damaging already strained diplomatic relations between his and rest of PC's nations.) but I think it's improved overall quality of RP at my table since I started using it.

*Swordsage with the serial numbers filed off.
    I like this rule, and unofficially use it for actual mechanics as well. Sometimes things don't work as well as you thought, made a mistake, or problems with team synergy. It's better to give people a last minute change than stuck with a bad character they don't like.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    I like this rule, and unofficially use it for actual mechanics as well. Sometimes things don't work as well as you thought, made a mistake, or problems with team synergy. It's better to give people a last minute change than stuck with a bad character they don't like.
    I concur. First session makes a good testing ground. If it bores a player, no reason they shouldn't be able to change it in the early stages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

29. - Top - End - #59
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    I concur. First session makes a good testing ground. If it bores a player, no reason they shouldn't be able to change it in the early stages.
    I agree, and I've been on both sides of the GM screen for this. Great idea it is.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

30. - Top - End - #60

BlueWizardGirl

I let players retrain skills, feats and the like between quests in exchange for gold, XP, or a sidequest of my choosing. I don't let them change class levels or race, or any traits/background related crunch after the second session, because at that point I'd rather just give them a fresh character sheet.