New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Would you date fantasy "demihumans" or sci-fi races

The death of Leonard Nimoy made me think... His best-known character Spock was half-human and half-Vulcan. There are plenty of half-elves and half-orcs in fantasy, and the list goes on when you bring science fiction into play.

Would you consider dating and marrying humanoids that are not human if there were such a possibility?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Would you date fantasy "demihumans" or sci-fi races

Yes? Depending on the setting, many are very human. I don't see why not. But WHICH demi-human or alien would you be willing to date?
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

I don't see why not.
    I apologize for any grammar mistake, English is not my first language.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Oh absolutely. Without hesitation. Certainly I'm working under the supposition that I find said race (or particular member of that race anyway) attractive... Given that? No problem.
    Last edited by VincentTakeda; 2015-03-20 at 03:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It depends on the race in question, surely? I mean, if we're talking typical fantasy elf (basically a very attractive woman with slightly pointed ears) or a Mass Effect asari (a blue-skinned human-looking female with flat tentacles instead of hair) then I wouldn't have the slightest problem with dating one. If we're talking female orc or Kzin, probably not so much!

6. - Top - End - #6

Zombie

Agree with above posters, I would under most circumstances.
    Asari? Sure.
    d&d elf? Yup.
    twilek? Why not.
    ork? Probably not, unless its a chibi ork

The list can go on, in sure. Unless its something crazy, I don't see the issue.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Date? Certainly. Fun can be found everywhere.

I mean, Klingons expect combative foreplay with some blood letting...while the Thermians from Galaxy Quest may be squids but have great skill in the art of , um, love.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

8. - Top - End - #8

If it looks mostly human and it's attractive, why not?
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesà!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

If it's mentally human-like* and has a sympathetic personality, I don't even require it to have a humanoid form.

*: I wouldn't exclude alien psychologies, but we have to communicate well enough to know their consent means something!

10. - Top - End - #10

Green Martian from DC universe. Mostly human mindset plus the interconnectivity of being in a relationship with a psychic combined with the fun of being with a shapeshifter. Why not?

Unless you are just REALLY REALLY keen on snuggling by an open fire, It seems like a win to me.
    Last edited by themaque; 2015-03-21 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Would I? Absolutely.

Humans have been absolutely terrible to me. I would love to date someone or something else.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

If it's close enough to human to be attractive, I don't see why not.

The more you get into weird mental setup, all-over fur, tusks, odd secretions, bizarre morphology, radically different size from human, etc., the less likely it would be, of course.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rai_skari View Post
    The death of Leonard Nimoy made me think... His best-known character Spock was half-human and half-Vulcan. There are plenty of half-elves and half-orcs in fantasy, and the list goes on when you bring science fiction into play.

Would you consider dating and marrying humanoids that are not human if there were such a possibility?
    Yes, but being quite honest, their dateability in my eyes would largely be a function of how human, for lack of a better term, they were. Your typical elf is basically a thousand-year old supermodel with pointed ears. I could date that. A Klingon woman? I had a thing for Lursa and B'etor growing up, I think in retrospect based largely on the Powergirl principle, but we would first need to set some ground rules about violence in the bedroom that a Klingon, at least as they were often portrayed, might not want to agree with.

A Hydran from Star Fleet Battles? For those of you unfamiliar with the game, the Hydrans have bodies that are about 1.3 meters tall, fairly cylindrical in shape, walk about on three stumpy legs, use tentacles instead of arms, breathe methane, and have three genders: male, female and a barely-sentient third gender that takes the sperm and egg from the ovipositors of the male and female and incubates the young. More sensible in their morphology than an Ocampa, certainly, but dateable? That would be a profound stretch of the imagination when you realize that even if I got the right gender, I couldn't kiss her without suffocating her simultaneously.

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rai_skari View Post

So, laying aside the improbability of getting anything like that which isn't just a genetically modified human in the first place as a result of transhumanist speciation...

*shrug* Depends on how poncy those elves really are, I suppose. Certainly physically I'd have no objections as long as they don't look like Mialee the purple mutant frog (except when she's orange).

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Would I? Absolutely.

Humans have been absolutely terrible to me. I would love to date someone or something else.
    Anything that's human enough for you to date would still have the relevant flaws and foibles that have led you to be misanthropic in terms of lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklight101 View Post
    chibi ork
    Well that's just a disturbing thought. A chibi violence fungus monster. So it can look cute while bashing your skull in for a laugh.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2015-03-21 at 12:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    Green Martian from DC universe. Mostly human mindset plus the interconnectivity of being in a relationship with a psychic combined with the fun of being with a shapeshifter. Why not?

Unless you are just REALLY REALLY keen on snuggling by an open fire, It seems like a win to me.
    I would not want to date a psychic. Our home life would be along the lines of:
    "Sex? Really? Again? Do you ever think of anything else? Since the last commercial you thought of the Yankees, eating twice, and the rest of the time ...oh, now you're just being a pervert!"
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Sure! I'd date a Horta if you gave me an acid proof suit!
    OK, maybe I wouldn't go that far, but there is plenty of species in science fiction and fantasy I could plausibly be attracted to, and I see no moral or ethical qualms about such a relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I would not want to date a psychic. Our home life would be along the lines of:
    "Sex? Really? Again? Do you ever think of anything else? Since the last commercial you thought of the Yankees, eating twice, and the rest of the time ...oh, now you're just being a pervert!"
    Growing pains to be sure, but if you manage to work it out that is an amazing relationship.

To know she would know everything about me, no secrets at all, and still love/want me? To accept me who I am at the very core? To be able to know HER at a level beyond talking? That's something worth trying for, it's what I'm trying for NOW step by step and slowly the old fashioned way.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

In a heartbeat. Whatever trepidation I may once have had was wiped away by thrikreen fanfic.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Anything that's human enough for you to date would still have the relevant flaws and foibles that have led you to be misanthropic in terms of lovers.
    Maybe, but considering my general dislike of 99.9% of the human race at this point in time, I can and would rather deal with figuring out a new species' views on dating, relationships, and sexuality.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Maybe, but considering my general dislike of 99.9% of the human race at this point in time, I can and would rather deal with figuring out a new species' views on dating, relationships, and sexuality.
    Than I am sincerely sorry for the negative experiences that have lead you to be so bitter at your fellow man. I seriously apologize and hope that you can find at least a small portion of people to help you restore some miniscule portion of faith in humanity.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming we're interfertile, sure.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Take a wild guess.

Anything with a human face plus built-in head ornament need not apply, though. That leaves out most of the Star Trek races.
    vape naesh

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

If it's only of the stereotypical 'humans with points ears' races, definitely. I'm not even that picky. I would start to hesitate when it came to insectoid aliens or horrible masses of tentacles.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    If it's only of the stereotypical 'humans with points ears' races, definitely. I'm not even that picky. I would start to hesitate when it came to insectoid aliens or horrible masses of tentacles.
    That's kind of how I felt about humans when I first came here.

Hypothetically yes. Right now, no.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

25. - Top - End - #25

DrowGuy

If it looks enough like a human, yes. I maintain the right to break up with them if they try to kill/eat me &/or part of me and fail (looking at you, Succubi and some versions of Vampire ), but otherwise it's close enough to dating a human that I'd be down.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess I'll be the one to go against the grain here and say "probably not". In theory, I'd like to say I would if they were human-looking enough. D and D elves...probably. Twílek....maybe. Dragon Age elves...hell no. Klingon...we'd prolly be pals but nothing else. Orion...nah. Bajoran...no thanks. Togruta....eh, ask me later. Kel-dor...um no. Xenomorph Ripley....nope.

Realistically though, and knowing myself as I do; I have a hard enough time dating outside my own cultural group, let alone cross-species. She'd have to be a pretty amazing person.
    Last edited by Crow; 2015-03-21 at 05:44 PM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    If it looks enough like a human, yes. I maintain the right to break up with them if they try to kill/eat me &/or part of me and fail (looking at you, Succubi and some versions of Vampire ), but otherwise it's close enough to dating a human that I'd be down.
    Generally things that view humans as a food source would be out to begin with, but, yeah, I suppose some people never learn the lesson of the scorpion and the frog.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Generally things that view humans as a food source would be out to begin with, but, yeah, I suppose some people never learn the lesson of the scorpion and the frog.
    "I can swim."
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    "I can swim."
    How droll.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

It seems like a bit of a stretch considering that it's most likely that cultures differ, so there are different ideas regarding entertainment, or even romance, if such a thing exists in said cultures. That being said, if we're compatible and happy with each other's company, I would gladly date a fantasy race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.