New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: nWoD fansplat: Dragon: the Inheritance

I'd say it depend on the Fallen faction.

Many Faustians, the believers in the original mission of exalting humanity (with them at the center of it) might deeply distrust dragons, for being the Elohim's replacements, and ones that don't look like humans or angels at all. Luciferian loyalists to the Morningstar might see something of their vanished general's tarnished dignity and decide to approach them about an entirely different Great Dragon (or assume they are the mythical Dragon of the Apocalypse, to serve as Lucifer's super-weapons, those meant to show that humans don't need God and delegitimizing her rule). Cryptics would simply be rather curious as they are with everything, and Reconcilers would have the most variance of opinion; on the one hand, they might by the Luciferian perspective on them and assume they're a creation of God's greatest enemy, or assume they were created by Her (Fallen tends to use female pronouns to refer to God as the demons have a long history of trolling patriarchal religion and know God is any and no gender) like any other-and dragons have a long association with virtues like honor, courage, and good leadership...

Raveners would try to kill them, but they're trying to kill everyone, so...
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

I gotta say, I'm totally down with interpreting dragons as Satan's super-weapons. Believers in that would make for an interesting group of potential allies. Maybe a human apocalypse cult?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, my favorite interpretation is that demons were arrayed against the dragons during the usurpation, to aid humanity in getting out from under the dragons' rule. (This would place the Usurpation around the same time as the Fall. Possibly even one causing the other. ) So now, coming back, they can discover that, while dragons were successfully removed from power, they still managed to stick around. And some of them want to set things back to the way they were.
    How an individual demon might react to that depends on the demon in question, and their Faction. Some might feel that the dragons have been punished enough, and now sit in their proper place. Others might want to see dragons finished off for good. Still others might recognize that, aside from distant cultural heritage, modern dragons have basically nothing to do with their ancestors.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

4. - Top - End - #424

Does the Fall have a particular timeline? Because we've made it a point that the Usurpation is very difficult to pin down, chronologically.

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

5. - Top - End - #425

Kobold

Well I did a quick read through of the backstory using some online summaries and to sum it up...

The Fallen are the creators of mankind and were disappointed humans when they were first created simply just behaved like animals. They asked God for help but we're in a sense killed off for going to meet him. And well they chose to then bestow civilization on humankind.... which probably sets them at the very latest in the neolithic time.
    Either way they ggot imprisoned and eventually got related and awoke to a world with unfamiliar supernaturals. At least that's how it was in the first edition. So there's no hard numbers but there's an official sequence of events that happened.

Actually this reminds me, were humans ever a major part of the Empire?
    Last edited by Almarck; 2015-07-05 at 10:49 AM.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    Well I did a quick read through of the backstory using some online summaries and to sum it up...

The Fallen are the creators of mankind and were disappointed humans when they were first created simply just behaved like animals. They asked God for help but we're in a sense killed off for going to meet him. And well they chose to then bestow civilization on humankind.... which probably sets them at the very latest in the neolithic time.
    Either way they ggot imprisoned and eventually got related and awoke to a world with unfamiliar supernaturals. At least that's how it was in the first edition. So there's no hard numbers but there's an official sequence of events that happened.

Actually this reminds me, were humans ever a major part of the Empire?
    That actually meshes pretty well with the timeline I suggested. Humans were generally considered just a step above animals in the Empire.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Just wanted to keep this thread from going necro. Xallace and I have been taking a bit of a break from hardcore work on the game, but I just got back into it and wrote up more material on the Xiuhcoatl.

8. - Top - End - #428

Coming up next:
    • The Nagaraja's Orwellian dystopia
    • A more coherent Garuda section (including all the stuff we've talked about so far)
    • Monuments! (Seriously, we need to write that section in)
    • Dragon Psychology Today
    • The Themes section, detailing the ideas of Transcendent Will, Dragons vs. The World, Everyone Goes Back In The Box, etc.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429

Kobold

Should we get back on the Monument discussion then? What thoughts have spun since then?
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #430

I think we've got the general ideas and mechanics of Monuments pinned down at this point. We do need to come up with specific benefits, costs, and special features.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431

Kobold

So what's confirmed for Monuments? And what's left to question about?

As for generating powers, perhaps using Influence mechanics might be a good idea to set a "scale"?

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

So what's confirmed for Monuments? And what's left to question about?

As for generating powers, perhaps using Influence mechanics might be a good idea to set a "scale"?
    Monuments are still where we left them. Xallace and I haven't really done any additional work beyond what we've posted here.

We've been continuing to work on the dynasty section, and have begun the Draconic Mind section. It's only 3 pages so far, but those pages are entirely text, so there's a good amount of information there already. I've also done a bit of work on the Serenity section, giving some examples of Dissonance triggers and associated penalties (or bonuses). The only actual change there is that now your Serenity dot rating affects your dissonance die pool, in line with the other 2e Integrity stats. The only thing left to finish that section is the effects of what you roll, most importantly what Conditions they give. We could simply copy over the Integrity Conditions (with a couple omissions), since Serenity is already very close to Integrity in what it represents.

Also, Almarck, I saw your mech homebrew, and I really like it. I would love to see a dragon go up against a TF:V cell with a Jötunn. Or, alternately, watching someone with one of those Superheavy mechs throw their hat in the "Dragon vs. Mummytron vs. Unified Hive" ring.
    ¿Porque no las dos?

13. - Top - End - #433

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Or, alternately, watching someone with one of those Superheavy mechs throw their hat in the "Dragon vs. Mummytron vs. Unified Hive" ring.

vs. Leviathans, lest we forget. Our commitment to giant monster battles remains unabated.

Speaking of, we should really define what that Unification ability actually does, even if the effects are nebulous and up to ST adjucation.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434

Kobold

You also need to exempt certain Supernaturals from assimilation, due to their unique Integrity mechanics.

In any event, we might want to provide 3 seperate "Ascension options" for Hives.

One is the giant monster, the other is that they unleash some sort of WMD that wipes out (or converts) anyone in a statewide area, and then the last would be to ascend to an abstract form and... leave. Only the first one matters to be stated up though.

And it's good to know that you're still working on Monuments and such.

As for who'd win in a fight, I explicitly designed the mechs to tangle and go toe to toe with most heavy weight supernaturals in the mid range. They got the durability to take hits and the strength to give back the hurt as well as carry heavy weapons as if they were small arms. A good enough mundane pilot could stand up in a melee barring esoteric or antitech powers. However, once the supernaturals start breaking 6 dot attributes, the mech's advantages slowly become obsolete as the pilot can't keep up with them eventually. You'd need to really up either the pilot or the mech to compensate for this somehow, which prohibits entry into the "MegaMash FFA". Granted, I suppose I can make a "Titan" class mech that functions like a 40k Titan to offset the fact normal humans have limits.

(Werewolves in particular have so many powers that can sabotage Mechs it's not even funny. Rending claws that add bonus damage AND negate points of durability on claw attacks automatically when striking objects, the ability to enslave the mech away from its pilot while its being riden, cause it to take conditions with a growl, or in one notable case flatout cause a Mech to fall into a collection of scrap metal without even bothering with durability or structure damage.)
    Last edited by Almarck; 2015-08-04 at 02:55 PM.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #435

You also need to exempt certain Supernaturals from assimilation, due to their unique Integrity mechanics.
    That we do!

In any event, we might want to provide 3 seperate "Ascension options" for Hives.

One is the giant monster, the other is that they unleash some sort of WMD that wipes out (or converts) anyone in a statewide area, and then the last would be to ascend to an abstract form and... leave. Only the first one matters to be stated up though.
    I am willing to get behind both options 1 & 3. The "WMD" seems a little too... masquerade-breaking. Plus I think the slow conversion of drones one-at-a-time is scarier, more thematic, and explains why Hives haven't taken over entire metropolitan areas.

And it's good to know that you're still working on Monuments and such.
    SPEAKING OF!

Chapter 6: Monuments is now in the document. When I have time in the next couple of days I'll comb back through the thread and pick up the Blessing/Cost ideas we've come up with already. What it still needs are:

A) Formatting (I wrote it in a word doc and copy-pasted). I will get around to this next week, maybe.
    B) More Blessings & Costs
    C) Individual special ability write-ups (like awakened spirits and the like)
    D) Expedrience costs. I don't think we ever really decided on what a Monument costs to build. My vote is that they're pretty expensive.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436

Kobold

Honestly, treating Monuments as a Merit would be the simplest way to handle cost.

One of the things I realize about 2e is that... anything over 5 exp needs to be really worth it to be worth buying. Anything more than that makes it hard for a single character to buy without saving for atleast one or two sessions.

So, each dot of the Monument's effectiveness.

Also, I kinda find it funny an offhanded suggestion for a feature for a potential antagonist evolved into something that needs it own subsection.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2015-08-05 at 03:33 PM.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

This Rocks!
    In all seriousness, keep at it. This just sort of made me prance around my deck, fantasizing about playing this. That generally only happens with DnD 3.5. I just sort of got all giddy at the thought of playing a dragon, and the fluff text was just wonderful, and I loved the mechanics, and I got disappointed at the incomplete legacies because I want to play this so much.
    Go You!
    Rock On!

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybobby99 View Post
    This Rocks!
    In all seriousness, keep at it. This just sort of made me prance around my deck, fantasizing about playing this. That generally only happens with DnD 3.5. I just sort of got all giddy at the thought of playing a dragon, and the fluff text was just wonderful, and I loved the mechanics, and I got disappointed at the incomplete legacies because I want to play this so much.
    Go You!
    Rock On!
    For what it's worth, the Legacies are complete enough to make a starting character. (Though you could have enough XP to buy the 4th dot of a legacy and an auxiliary within a couple sessions, if you really focused the character on it). Don't worry, those auxes will be filled in eventually, once we get back to working on that part of the game.

And thanks! We're always glad to hear that people like what we've made.

19. - Top - End - #439

For anyone interested, Soldier and I are both on the Dragon doc's chat with a fan from Onyx Path if anyone would like to hop on and discuss the game! : )

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

I am also there but I am apparently not part of the chat?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I am also there but I am apparently not part of the chat?
    Sorry Amechra, I must have just missed you getting on.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

I had to get off anyway - I have an apartment to clean and laundry to do.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

23. - Top - End - #443

You may also need to be logged in with a google account to access the chat. I did see an anonymous user pop on at one point, if that was you.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

I was, though...

25. - Top - End - #445

Oh! Then... huh. I have no idea. Really sorry about that.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446

Just a progress update: Draconic Minds has been expanded, a handful of new Aretes have been added, and Monuments finally has a section (with some concrete options!).

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Blessing of Horror
    Within the auspices of the Monument, mortal minds break. An ever-flowing torrent of psychic violation erupts forth, coating everything nearby in mental filth. It reflects an older time (a better time?), where mortals were ground below the heels of their true masters - where Dragons were the true rulers of all they surveyed.
    Insult: If the Monument is insulted, all residents recover an additional Willpower from resting.
    Minor: If the Minor cost is paid, any resident with the Integrity advantage cannot recover Willpower from resting while within the Monument's Reach.
    Median: If the Median cost is paid, any resident with the Integrity advantage cannot recover Willpower from resting, and suffers a Breaking Point at -2 each time they attempt to rest.
    Major: If the Major cost is paid, any resident with the Integrity advantage cannot recover Willpower from resting, suffers a Breaking Point at -2 each time they attempt to rest, and suffer a further -2 penalty to all Breaking Point rolls.
    Steward: The Steward finds their Enkindling to become viciously effective. Once during the period, the Steward may treat one Enkindling roll as an automatic Success.

Sometimes a monument is a way of blessing the population around it with good fortune and prosperity. Sometimes, though... it's a weapon. As far as rumours go, there used to be methods of focusing a Monument, allowing it to skip over arbitrary segments of the population.

Without the ability to aim, such Monuments have become almost too toxic to use - if you want to reduce a place to a ghost-town, then success is a sacrifice (or other cost) away.

28. - Top - End - #448

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Blessing of Horror
    Within the auspices of the Monument, mortal minds break. An ever-flowing torrent of psychic violation erupts forth, coating everything nearby in mental filth. It reflects an older time (a better time?), where mortals were ground below the heels of their true masters - where Dragons were the true rulers of all they surveyed.
    Insult: If the Monument is insulted, all residents recover an additional Willpower from resting.
    Minor: If the Minor cost is paid, any resident with the Integrity advantage cannot recover Willpower from resting while within the Monument's Reach.
    Median: If the Median cost is paid, any resident with the Integrity advantage cannot recover Willpower from resting, and suffers a Breaking Point at -2 each time they attempt to rest.
    Major: If the Major cost is paid, any resident with the Integrity advantage cannot recover Willpower from resting, suffers a Breaking Point at -2 each time they attempt to rest, and suffer a further -2 penalty to all Breaking Point rolls.
    Steward: The Steward finds their Enkindling to become viciously effective. Once during the period, the Steward may treat one Enkindling roll as an automatic Success.

Sometimes a monument is a way of blessing the population around it with good fortune and prosperity. Sometimes, though... it's a weapon. As far as rumours go, there used to be methods of focusing a Monument, allowing it to skip over arbitrary segments of the population.

Without the ability to aim, such Monuments have become almost too toxic to use - if you want to reduce a place to a ghost-town, then success is a sacrifice (or other cost) away.
    Nice! I like this one. Very different from what we have so far.

And we have so far is as follows:

Blessings: Horror, Prosperity, Victory, Wealth
    Costs: Charity, Competition, Sacrifice

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449

Kobold

Alright so, since I felt even the strongest Mechs in my Homebrew are stuff that high level dragons could quite literally stepped on since high tier dragons are ship size and Mechs are… IFV size, I felt that I might as well give my contribution to the “Mega Free For All”, something ridiculous enough to compete with the maxed out dragons and other giant supernaturals.

Yeah, I know the below is hilariously over the top and overpowered, but the idea was to allow a maxed out normal guy to stand shoulder to shoulder against the titans you’ll bring.

Spoiler: Dragonslayer
    Show

Dragonslayer, the Titan
    Strength 15
    Durability 12
    Size 25
    Structure 37
    Acceleration 7
    Speed (Safe/Max): 14/35
    Battery: 5
    Handling: 0

Comes equipped with the following standard upgrades:
    Amphibious 5, Boost, Flight 1, Manual Dexterity 2, Neural Interface, Onboard Computer, Targetting Systems.

The following unique abilities:
    -Impossible Alloys: Due to the bizarre composition that is far beyond what modern science can provide, Dragonslayer’s shell is considered magical when it benefits it. Additionally, the Hull may under no circumstances may ever be breached without the pilot’s direct commands.
    - Lazurus Systems Even when the Dragonslayer falls in combat, it returns. When dragonslayer is destroyed, the machine evaporates into dust. A week later, it resurfaces to make battle from when it came out.
    -Warded Against the Supernatural: Dragonslayer’s unusual nature protect it against the unnatural. Using any supernatural powers that are resisted by a Supernatural power trait against Dragonslayer itself or its pilot while he rides it suffers a penalty equal to Dragonslayer’s Durability.

The following weapons:
    Harpoon gun, Titanic Spear, Hands of Giants

Titanic Spear: 7 damage, AP 4, Initiative -2, Strength 10, Size 20. Increases Defense by +2 when wielded against adjacent enemies.

Hands of Giants: 4, AP 6 Initiative -0, Streng --, Size --. Brawling Weapon.

Lore: Not much is known about Dragonslayer, only that its history is quite long. In the past thousands of years since the Empire’s Fall, many Heirs sought to rebuild the Empire using the scattered remains of humankind as the basis. Most failed to become even worth remembering, but a rare few came close, achieving such power and majesty that many believed that the Empire would be reborn under their rule… atleast until Dragonslayer arrived.

The machine came from parts unknown, seemingly called in response to prevent these Heirs from achieving their Apotheosis. It would always show up, pick some random mortal to serve as its pilot, fight the Hiers responsible. However, while many Heirs have defeated Dragonslayer in combat, the machine never stays down for long. Eventually, Dragonslayer lives up to its name due to attrition. Then, the machine flies off to whatever it came from, never to be found or followed until the next great Heir arrives.

In recent years however, Dragonslayer has been showing up more and more for some reason. And more alarmingly at that, many Heirs feel the unknown machine was what was responsible for the human race to develop Walkers in recent years.

Anyways, I had this idea for a Cost: Luck or Security

Basically, you inflict upon yourself or others you like a curse that makes things more dangerous for them. You suddenly get mugged more often due to bad timing and that guy who narrowly missed shooting your skull because of a lucky wind… doesn’t miss. It can be super cheap… or super suicidal depending on how much luck is being thrown away.

Also, how about Love as a Blessing?
    Last edited by Almarck; 2015-08-13 at 09:45 PM.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

A request was made?

Blessing of Ardor
    Perhaps the simplest way of expanding a community is through the expansion of its population. With this blessing, spring is always in the air, bluebirds twitter and flutter, and saccharine violin music fills the air. The last item on that list might be a lie.
    Insult: If the Monument is insulted, members of the population have "Be alone and miserable" as an additional Aspiration.
    Minor: If the Minor cost is paid, members of the population gain Romantic as an additional Vice.
    Median: If the Median cost is paid, members of the population gain Romantic as an additional Vice and gain "Be in an emotionally fulfilling romantic relationship" as an additional Aspiration.
    Major: If the Major cost is paid, members of the population gain Romantic as an additional Vice and gain "Be in an emotionally fulfilling romantic relationship" as an additional Aspiration; in addition, any failed Carousing roll made within the Monument's Reach instead succeeds with a single success.
    Steward: The Steward notices a visible improvement on the depth of their personal relationships; they receive a 1xp discount on the True Friend and Eternal Counterpart merits. If they cease to be the Monument's Steward, they must pay back the difference in costs or lose the merits; they may use XP recovered through the Sanctity of Merits to pay their "debt".

Misfortune
    Sometimes, a Monument draws its cost from something more ephemeral than a sacrifice or an act of charity. Sometimes, it just makes you plain unlucky.
    Minor: Opt to downgrade a Failure to a Dramatic Failure.
    Median: Opt to downgrade a Failure to a Dramatic Failure, and suffering at least one level of Lethal damage as a result.
    Major: Opt to downgrade a Failure on an Enkindling roll to a Dramatic Failure.
    Insult: The Monument becomes insulted if the Steward doesn't suffer at least one Dramatic Failure each day.

Also...

Upgrade Merit:

Heirloom Parts (• - •••••)
    The Mech is partially made of dragon bones. This has... interesting... effects.
    Effect: This merit is equivalent to the Heirloom merit; however, the benefits of the merit apply to anyone operating the Mech, regardless of whether or not the operator is Spurned or not. In addition, any Willpower cost the Heirloom has costs Power instead.