New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Presents: Akashic Mysteries, Thread 2

I know I came into this really late, but I was curious, any chance that the veils can be grouped up and named. Much like how Vancian Magic: Schools, Pact Magic: Constellations, Spheres of Power: Spheres, Path of War & Psionics: Disciplines. I understand that to most people such groupings dont really mean much, but in my campaign setting it does, and I would very much like to implement Akashic Mysteries, but it will be difficult to do so if they arent grouped up. I wouldn't mind if the groupings are purely aesthetic in nature, in fact I dont need more then four groupings so there could be something like lawful, chaotic, evil and good (Again, all this will be purely fluff, nothing mechanical about it.)
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2015-05-29 at 02:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

That kind of defeats the point. Some veils do have alignment tags, but they aren't supposed to be organized, except by class/bind.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

3. - Top - End - #303

Well thing is it doesnt have to be alignment, that was just an example, it could be animals, objects, moon phases, seasons, elements, etc. To be honest, it just so happens that if I end up having to write up the groups myself, I might aswell leave out Akashic Mysteries, cuz I am lazy like that...

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

The problem is there aren't themes in them. With your examples, they are all pretty easy groupings. But Veils hardly even classify into something as simple as Offense, Defense, and Utility. The best categorizations you're going to get are Class/Bind, because that's the closest individual veils come to being connected.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    But Veils hardly even classify into something as simple as Offense, Defense, and Utility.
    They do? I made Vizier veils table, only two veils fit in more than one category.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

So, bossman doesn't like the "wetboy" name for the gunslinger archetype since it breaks with the silk road theme of the supplement pretty sharply (which is a fair assessment). What would you guys think if I changed it to hashasheen, an Egyptian Arabic word meaning roughly "noisy troublemaker" that's believed to be the original word from which "assassin" derived?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure. It kind of sounds like someone with a lisp is saying assassin.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

8. - Top - End - #308
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not sure. It kind of sounds like someone with a lisp is saying assassin.
    But the word Assassin comes from people mispronouncing hashasheen too often
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    But the word Assassin comes from people mispronouncing hashasheen too often
    It's just the kind of thing I could see becoming a joke around tables.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

It's just the kind of thing I could see becoming a joke around tables.
    Like the kind of joke that becomes endearing with time, or the kind that's a little more offensive each time you hear it?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Like the kind of joke that becomes endearing with time, or the kind that's a little more offensive each time you hear it?
    Well, with my table, they're kind of the same thing, but generally more the second one. Mostly because I can also see REALLY racist accents coming into play off of it. Again, funny the first few times. Gets old fast.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm in favor of renaming wetboy to Hashasheen. To be honest, I thought wetboy was kind of a gross name to begin with (personal preference, I just don't like how it sounds), and Hashasheen fits a lot better with the general theme of the book.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    I'm in favor of renaming wetboy to Hashasheen. To be honest, I thought wetboy was kind of a gross name to begin with (personal preference, I just don't like how it sounds), and Hashasheen fits a lot better with the general theme of the book.
    Sweet. Obviously assassin is off the table, and I really don't want to go plumbing through my library and the internet looking for another viable name attached to a history or legend I'm not familiar enough with. Now we just need to get Keledrath's racist friends to grow up

14. - Top - End - #314

Obviously assassin is off the table
    Any reason why?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    Any reason why?
    It already exists as a PrC.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

This, and the fact that some usage of it is really commonly used in multiple core and 3pp archetypes and classes (like RGG's Shadow Assassin, the Crimson Assassin PrC from The Inner Sea Campaign Setting, the Psychic Warrior's Assassin Path, etc.). It's so prevalent that it just doesn't feel right putting yet another assassin out there.

17. - Top - End - #317

Well yeah. But there's like five different things named investigator and swashbuckler and two different "brawling" enchantments that do radically different things.

Figured it would just be continuing a long and storied tradition of making things very confusing to identify.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Well yeah. But there's like five different things named investigator and swashbuckler and two different "brawling" enchantments that do radically different things.

Figured it would just be continuing a long and storied tradition of making things very confusing to identify.
    I try to break from bad traditions whenever possible

This Bard archetype I'm working on is kicking my ass. It's amazing how difficult it is to write succinct and clear mechanics for an ability that lets you use your bardic performance to make your veils go all sorcerer's apprentice.

What would you guys think of a swashbuckler archetype that gets the Desire daevic's Paramour class feature?

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Insightful Strike!

20. - Top - End - #320

I try to break from bad traditions whenever possible

This Bard archetype I'm working on is kicking my ass. It's amazing how difficult it is to write succinct and clear mechanics for an ability that lets you use your bardic performance to make your veils go all sorcerer's apprentice.

What would you guys think of a swashbuckler archetype that gets the Desire daevic's Paramour class feature?
    I am all for spreading the daevas among everyone. I am also for renaming the wetboy, as much as I enjoyed the previous name. Someone has to do the wetwork.

21. - Top - End - #321

ElfRangerGuy

hashasheen, an Egyptian Arabic word meaning roughly "noisy troublemaker"
    I thought it means "users of hashish"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Iirc, the Hashasheen did use hashish a lot. There was a reason the man on the mountain was said to promise paradise for his followers (though... the assassins creed franchise preferred the idea of magic-tech rather than drugs to generate that "paradise").
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    That's hashshashin, a different word with a common etymology.
    "Many scholars have argued, and demonstrated convincingly, that the attribution of the epithet "hashish eaters" or "hashish takers" is a misnomer derived from enemies of the Isma'ilis and was never used by Muslim chroniclers or sources. It was therefore used in a pejorative sense of "enemies" or "disreputable people". This sense of the term survived into modern times with the common Egyptian usage of the term Hashasheen in the 1930s to mean simply "noisy or riotous". It is unlikely that the austere Hassan-i Sabbah indulged personally in drug taking ... there is no mention of that drug hashish in connection with the Persian Assassins – especially in the library of Alamut."
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2015-05-30 at 03:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

I would say that the biggest problem with wetboy was the name, so any change is welcome. The new name might clash with people's perceptions on hearing it, given it is for a gunslinger archetype, though the etymology fits well enough.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, starting up the level-6 sims. I'll lead off with a basic Zen Archer for reference numbers. I'm sure that I could push this harder if I wanted to, but it really isn't needed for the baseline (and I prefer to build something that might actually be used). Using an Akasic build atm as well, pretty sure a Nisir is actually optimal for damage. If anyone wants me to post the rest of how I got my numbers, just ask and I will, but most of you just skim to the number at the end anyway

Target: Median AC of 19, Median HP of 68. Within 30 feet

Human Monk (Zen Archer) 6
    Weapon: +1 Mighty Composite Longbow (+2 Str)
    Relevant Stats: Wis 20 (includes +2 headband), Str 14, Dex 14+
    Feats: 1) Deadly Aim, 1B) Point-Blank Shot, 1B) Perfect Strike, 2B) Weapon Focus (Composite Longbow), 2B) Precise Shot, 3) Chakra Targeting (1 essence), 5)Extra Ki, 6B) Improved Precise Shot, 6B) Weapon Spec (Comp Longbow)
    Attack routine uses 1 Ki per turn, pool is 10, so this can be done 10 times per day if going all-out. Plenty for all but the most brutal adventuring day. Later, will use 2/turn once the damage boost is an actual increase.

Attack rolls :+6(base under Flurry) +5(Wis) +1(PBS) +2(Targeting) +1(Enh) +1(WF) -2 (DA) -2 (Flurry) = +12/+12/+12/+7
    Damage per shot: 1d8 +4(DA) +2(str) +1(PBS) +1(Enh) +2(WS) +2(CT) =1d8+10= 16.5 avg

Note: Perfect Strike used on last attack
    Expected Damage: 13.28 + 13.28 +13.28 + 13.24 = 53.08 DPR

I know I can do better, but this is something a slightly-above-average player in a group might do.

Megaman coming up later today.

EDIT:Two errors corrected, thanks Nya for spotting WS actually being +2. I also forgot CT gives a point of Essence when taken.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2015-05-30 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

26. - Top - End - #326
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ssalarn, are there any arcane/divine spells that tie into support of the Akashic Mysteries characters?

Similar to the way that MoI had those really cool [Incarnum] spells that allowed Essentia to be infused into them for amping-up their performance.

Thank you!

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Wizard View Post
    Ssalarn, are there any arcane/divine spells that tie into support of the Akashic Mysteries characters?

Similar to the way that MoI had those really cool [Incarnum] spells that allowed Essentia to be infused into them for amping-up their performance.

Thank you!
    Yeah, I did a small spell section, but it's been... troublesome. The original takes I did kept coming out too much like psionic augmentation, and if I'm going to do something, I'd prefer it not just feel like another option for doing things the game already covers. I've set aside the spells for the time being while I focus on finishing items, archetypes, FCBs, PrCs, and the akashic mini-bestiary. I'll be revisiting them before this goes to layout to see if I don't feel differently about the current ideas or maybe come up with something I'm happier with.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, they're relatively closely related systems, so feeling similar will be unavoidable. Mind sharing with us the basic mechanic you originally had, so we can try and help figure something out? Was it different than MoI's version by a significant amount?
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

29. - Top - End - #329

Yeah, I did a small spell section, but it's been... troublesome. The original takes I did kept coming out too much like psionic augmentation, and if I'm going to do something, I'd prefer it not just feel like another option for doing things the game already covers. I've set aside the spells for the time being while I focus on finishing items, archetypes, FCBs, PrCs, and the akashic mini-bestiary. I'll be revisiting them before this goes to layout to see if I don't feel differently about the current ideas or maybe come up with something I'm happier with.
    Here's a suggestion to make them feel more different: Use Essence to turn spells into basically reserve feats. Basically you lock some essence into the spell. While the essence is invested, that spell acts as a quasi-veil, giving a passive or at will benefit, but essence can't be shifted in or out of it. Once you cast the spell (whose effects may or may not depend on invested essence, up to you) that essence is freed up to be reassigned elsewhere as normal.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Here's a suggestion to make them feel more different: Use Essence to turn spells into basically reserve feats. Basically you lock some essence into the spell. While the essence is invested, that spell acts as a quasi-veil, giving a passive or at will benefit, but essence can't be shifted in or out of it. Once you cast the spell (whose effects may or may not depend on invested essence, up to you) that essence is freed up to be reassigned elsewhere as normal.
    Oooh! Do this. I like this. Paizo's lack of reserve feats upsets me.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-05-30 at 04:22 PM.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show