New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default If One Lovecraft Story Was All You Could Read…

…which one would it be?

I've never read anything by Lovecraft, looking for suggestions, especially those which maximize the Far-Realms-style creepiness.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: If One Lovecraft Story Was All You Could Read…

'The Rats in the Walls' was always my favourite
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Go for the motherload and At the Mountains of Madness. It's one of his longer works (but still very short), has a lot of excellent weird stuff, nothing exceptionally objectionable in the racism department, and is a generally excellent exemplar of early twentieth century genre fiction. Alternatively, go very short and read The Statement of Randolf Carter, or go for the (extremely) weird and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadeth.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the quick replies.

By "weird," do you mean creepy Far-Realmsy, or generally mind-bendingly odd? I'm looking more for the former, but not having read Lovecraft I'm not sure if those are just different ways of describing all of his work.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Go for the motherload and At the Mountains of Madness. It's one of his longer works (but still very short), has a lot of excellent weird stuff, nothing exceptionally objectionable in the racism department, and is a generally excellent exemplar of early twentieth century genre fiction. Alternatively, go very short and read The Statement of Randolf Carter, or go for the (extremely) weird and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadeth.
    Seconded on Mountains. Read At the Mountains of Madness.

A shorter one, still good and quintessentially Lovecraft, would be The Colour out of Space. Call of Cthulhu is the big one, of course, and is racist as whoa, but that's honestly something you have to grapple with with Lovecraft, not something to ignore.

Kadath is very good but it's more "strangish heroic fantasy done up in really purple prose" than anything usually denoted by "Lovecraftian".

The Shunned House is, basically, a Call of Cthulhu session set to text, which is probably not what you want but which amused the hell out of me.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

By "weird," do you mean creepy Far-Realmsy, or generally mind-bendingly odd? I'm looking more for the former, but not having read Lovecraft I'm not sure if those are just different ways of describing all of his work.
    Kadath is quite good, and I would very much describe it as "creepy Far-Realmsy", but it's not conventionally Lovecraftian. I'd read it fourth, say, after Mountains, Colour, and Call.
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2015-04-13 at 01:32 PM.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Go for the motherload and At the Mountains of Madness. It's one of his longer works (but still very short), has a lot of excellent weird stuff, nothing exceptionally objectionable in the racism department, and is a generally excellent exemplar of early twentieth century genre fiction.
    I'd put this in tied with - or close second to - The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

Whilst I like At the Mountains of Madness (it's where one half of my handle comes from, after all), it is all about discovering things that manne was notte meant to knowe in a cold and hostile clime. The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward is the same sort of thing, but right in the back yard (so to speak).

On the plus side, they are both in the Lovecraft Omnibus (Volume 1).
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

I don't tend to think there's such a line between those in Lovecraft as the modern perception tends to claim. There's certainly stuff in Mountains that can be creepy, and a lot of it's very strange, but I would hesitate to try to bin the story one way or the other. Frankly I'd shy away from doing that with genre fiction of that period in general; and certainly when using modern genres. I'm halfway convinced that in the 30s and 40s, genres simply hadn't ossified quite yet, and there was still a good amount of flexibility. Either that or they were firm things, but rather out of alignment with our current understandings.

There certainly are Lovecraft stories that fit very well into a single modern genre (The Shunned House is straight horror for instance), but there's a lot that don't.

It's also worth noting that The Shunned House is enormously creepy if you've both studied non-Euclidean geometry, and happen to have more than a passing knowledge of the houses on Benefit Street, Providence, RI.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

8. - Top - End - #8

I don't tend to think there's such a line between those in Lovecraft as the modern perception tends to claim. There's certainly stuff in Mountains that can be creepy, and a lot of it's very strange, but I would hesitate to try to bin the story one way or the other. Frankly I'd shy away from doing that with genre fiction of that period in general; and certainly when using modern genres. I'm halfway convinced that in the 30s and 40s, genres simply hadn't ossified quite yet, and there was still a good amount of flexibility. Either that or they were firm things, but rather out of alignment with our current understandings.

There certainly are Lovecraft stories that fit very well into a single modern genre (The Shunned House is straight horror for instance), but there's a lot that don't.

It's also worth noting that The Shunned House is enormously creepy if you've both studied non-Euclidean geometry, and happen to have more than a passing knowledge of the houses on Benefit Street, Providence, RI.
    Maybe I'm just a splitter, not a lumper, but I'm comfortable drawing a line between Mountains, Color, Call, Rats in the Walls, Shadow Over Innsmouth, etc, and Kadath, Doom that Came to Sarnath, Quest of Iranon, etc. I'll agree there's a continuum, though, with Sarnath certainly being a horrific fantasy/mythology-like horror.
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2015-04-13 at 01:57 PM.
    Show
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

I recall liking The Shadow Out of Time.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd have to go with The Color Out of Space. Second would be Dagon, though Dagon might just be for nostalgia reasons: it was the first HP Lovecraft story I ever read.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would say The Music of Erich Zann and Pickman's Model are probably two of his better short stories.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Gah! Only one?

That's a tricky one. For that I love Lovecraft's Mythos stories, his Dunsanian dream stories are my favorites. I think something like "Hypnos" or "the Quest of Iranon" have resonated more strongly with me than just about anything else. Unless you count "The Lurking Fear", which I read at 12. The scene where the main character and a friend hole up in a cabin and the MC goes to sleep in a thunderstorm, then wakes up and sees his friend still sitting in the same position by the window. When he checks on his friend, he finds that his friend's face has been eaten off. I read this in my grandparent's creaky old house, in a thunderstorm, sleeping next to an open window because there was little by the way of AC there.
    Guess who didn't sleep a wink that night?
    Last edited by BWR; 2015-04-14 at 12:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    "The Lurking Fear"
    Having just reread The Rats in the Walls and looked at the wiki article for that: man I keep forgetting how spectacularly racist Lovecraft was.

I'm almost thinking of trading my recommendation from Mountains to Rats just because "wow, that is a tremendously unsubtle metaphor for miscegenation" is part of the Lovecraft experience.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

"The Shadow over Innsmouth" has always been my favorite. Creepy, gripping. I love the bit in the hotel.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I have to agree with Doctor Faust--"The Music of Erich Zann" is an excellent story.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Edit: I'm changing my recommendation to "The Rats in the Walls." I just read it again, and that is some powerful stuff. Personally, I prefer to read it as a really creepy story, at face value. I realize Lovecraft was racist as all get out, but I'm not entirely convinced that was his "point" in writing this specific story. Politics prevent me from delving any deeper that way, but I still think it's one heck of a story on its own merits.

Of course, I'm a bit more of a Clark Ashton Smith fan than Lovecraft. I like Lovecraft, mind you, but I can't pass up the opportunity to put in a good word for Klarkash-Ton.
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2015-04-19 at 12:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Edit: I'm changing my recommendation to "The Rats in the Walls." I just read it again, and that is some powerful stuff. Personally, I prefer to read it as a really creepy story, at face value. I realize Lovecraft was racist as all get out, but I'm not entirely convinced that was his "point" in writing this specific story. Politics prevent me from delving any deeper that way, but I still think it's one heck of a story on its own merits.

Of course, I'm a bit more of a Clark Ashton Smith fan than Lovecraft. I like Lovecraft, mind you, but I can't pass up the opportunity to put in a good word for Klarkash-Ton.
    Smith was a better wordsmith, certainly.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Just one? That's hard. Ole' HPL constantly evolved and changed his writing style, and as a result, has several very distinct phases.

However, I'd probably pick "The Music of Erich Zann" as that story. It's short, but impressive, with perfect atmosphere and that lingering sense of dread and cosmic horror of a world that suddenly shifted off-balance.

Honorable mentions:

"The Colour out of Space" has that classic Lovecraftian element of unexplainable stuff happening to undeserving people. It's cosmic in the direct sense of the word, and the descriptions of the wierd nature, the apathetic farmer and his mad wife are creepy and touching at the same time.

"The Innsmouth Horror" one of Lovecraft's more bearable "miscegenation". Creepy, and with a twist ending unusual for Lovecraft.

"The Mountains of Madness" contains the phrase "that night-crafted, penguin-fringed abyss" whcih someone on this forum has as a quote in their signature. Also an excellent story about discovering maddening truths.

"The Dream-Quest to Unknown Kaddath" isn't what people usually associate with HPL, and that's what makes this one so fresh. It replaces some of the dread and disgust most of Lovecraft's protagonists feel with wonder and sheer strangeness, and if you know how Lovecraft felt during his short life, this may be a very direct window into his soul. Gripping for the sheer fantastic scope.

"Nyarlathotep" is a wonderful story, which perfectly showcases what I look for in Lovecraft's writing. It's unexplainable, eerie, and leaves you with a sense of dread when faced with the destruction of humanity by a latter-day pied piper leading a dying universe to its grave.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

There have been some great suggestions so far, and I'll mostly second them, but I'm a pretty big HPL fan, so I'd feel bad not contributing.

My first choice would probably be The Colour Out of Space, which in my opinion is one of Lovecraft's creepiest stories. I also really like Rats in the Walls, but as others have pointed out, it's super racist (depending on exactly how you connect the dots). However, I've always loved HPL for the crazy magic and fantasy ideas he throws out, and Rats certainly has room for all sorts of interesting speculation on horrible cult rituals and the like, if you can deal with the other stuff that's in it somehow.

I'd also recommend Pickman's Model; again you could view it as a statement about miscegenation, but I actually prefer to read it as a dark take on old faerie myths, and it works really well in that role. It also sort of nods to some of Lovecraft's ideas about weird fiction and art, which are interesting in their own right, and make for some historical context.

As far as his really short stories, I agree that The Statement of Randolph Carter is hard to beat for atmosphere, although if you're willing to make the trade of racist undertones for fantasy again, The Festival is also a strong contender.

In general, I'm more fond of HPL's shorter stories than his novella-length works, but tastes vary, and it's worth checking out Call of Cthulhu or At the Mountains of Madness and/or The Shadow Over Innsmouth if you find yourself getting hooked on the atmospheric horror.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    "The Innsmouth Horror" one of Lovecraft's more bearable "miscegenation". Creepy, and with a twist ending unusual for Lovecraft.
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of "The Dunwitch Horror"? That's the one where,
    Spoiler: unlike most of Lovecraft's Stories...
    Show
    the monster is actually defeated at the end by a group of researchers who managed to reverse-engineer a spell from the Necronomicon. Well, they got traumatized a little, but at least they got rid of it.
    That one I enjoyed.

In terms of creepiness, the one that truly disturbed me was "The Whisperer in the Darkness." Fascinating concept, horrifying twist that made me regret only reading these stories at night (this isn't even intentional, it just always seems to be late when I'm reading something by him).

If you'd prefer your cosmic horror set to music, I recommend Call of Cthulu - The Musical! It's an amalgam of a bunch of different stories, interspersed with songs set to familiar tunes like "I am the Very Model of a Miskatonic Gentleman," or "Gotta Hide Another Corpse with my Friend"!
    Last edited by Fralex; 2015-04-23 at 11:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of "The Dunwitch Horror"? That's the one where,
    Spoiler: unlike most of Lovecraft's Stories...
    Show
    the monster is actually defeated at the end by a group of researchers who managed to reverse-engineer a spell from the Necronomicon. Well, they got traumatized a little, but at least they got rid of it.
    That one I enjoyed.

Nah, I'm thinking of the part where the narrator
    Spoiler
    Show
    actually becomes a Deep One and is absolutely ok with the fact
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    And seems to be fiercely exultant over it, to boot.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    And seems to be fiercely exultant over it, to boot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTH...I&spfreload=10
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Lovecraft was no slouch at humor, so while I would normally recommend Mountains or Colour, I'm going to recommend "Ibid" - a very short, very offbeat entry in his oeuvre, but well worth the read.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2015-04-20 at 11:45 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    Having just reread The Rats in the Walls and looked at the wiki article for that: man I keep forgetting how spectacularly racist Lovecraft was.

I'm almost thinking of trading my recommendation from Mountains to Rats just because "wow, that is a tremendously unsubtle metaphor for miscegenation" is part of the Lovecraft experience.
    Heh, for those same reasons I have the opposite thought of which of those two to suggest.

Then I remembered, "The Temple." The story is written from the perspective of a World War I U-boat captain who knows he will not survive. No one's going to put a reference to it on a t-shirt or a political campaign sticker, but I found it easy to get into the same head-space as the narrator, which made it creepier. It contains a bit of the Mythos, so it might get you interested in learning more, but it's not a requirement to enjoy.

27. - Top - End - #27

GreenSorcererElf

I've got to say, Lovecraft wasn't noticeably more racist than most other people writing at the time. Read anything else from the period, for instance the Tom Swift stories by Victor Appleton (among others). Finding anything from that era that isn't will be quite a task.

But for the most quintessential Lovecraft story, I'm going to add on to the recommendations for Colour out of Space.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, that's right. That one was actually called The Shadow over Innsmouth.

In all honesty, though, I wouldn't worry too much about which "one" story you choose to read. Lovecraft's work is all available online for free, legally, in various places on the Internet. All a story will cost you is your time.
    Last edited by Fralex; 2015-04-23 at 12:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    I've got to say, Lovecraft wasn't noticeably more racist than most other people writing at the time. Read anything else from the period, for instance the Tom Swift stories by Victor Appleton (among others). Finding anything from that era that isn't will be quite a task.
    Having read the Tom Swift stories: no, Lovecraft is a hell of a lot more racist. Tom Swift is kinda appalling in places; Lovecraft has whole stories all about the visceral, skin-crawling dread that is miscegenation.

I'm not sure where the board policy line lies, so I'm going to hold my peace on this subject after that.
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2015-04-23 at 04:07 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

... The Shunned House is enormously creepy if you've both studied non-Euclidean geometry, and happen to have more than a passing knowledge of the houses on Benefit Street, Providence, RI.
    I've never studied non-Euclidean geometry, but I can say, as a lifelong RIer and resident of Providence for 15 years, that being familiar with the specific areas he mentions in his stories is very revealing. I'm very familiar with the East side, although I never lived there. I lived in Elmhurst. I visit his grave site fairly frequently while cycling and the things people leave there are amazing, creepy, and weird.

To the OP, for whatever reason, The Dreams in the Wictch House has always stuck out in my head. Although, I wouldn't argue with any of the other suggestions. Don't read a single story and judge his authorship. Read several and enjoy them.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall