New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece: Gear IV

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I cannot disagree strongly enough with this part myself though, imo he doesnt even clear his way into the top 10 list of awesome people.
    To be fair considering some of the other characters in this arc, let alone this entire series, that's NOT surprising. As good as Senor Pink is (and he's great, he's one of the best examples of how One Piece does silliness in a serious way) there are better characters.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Pink's awesomeness is mostly hampered by his lack of screen time. He's a pretty minor villain in this arc who only gained interest because of his... unique attire. But with basically one chapter of backstory he became immensely popular because, well, it was a really cool backstory.
    That's like if minor fishmen villain #5 in the last arc suddenly was loved by anyone. Overall, I guess no, he's not that great, but that is because OP is full of great characters. But by "awesome per page", he's easily top 5, if not topping that list.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Personally for me, being a villian removes a lot of the sympathy i would otherwise feel for Pink, and that reduces the overall awesome rating.

So even when its awesome per page he dont break into the top 10 for me, Crocoddile easily tops him when it comes to awesome villains.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Personally for me, being a villian removes a lot of the sympathy i would otherwise feel for Pink, and that reduces the overall awesome rating.

So even when its awesome per page he dont break into the top 10 for me, Crocoddile easily tops him when it comes to awesome villains.
    Yes being a bad guy reduces Sympathy, however why I point him out as being an awesome character is because as a minion to a much bigger bad you generally have been lead to not expect him to really have a backstory at all, which this Arc was really good about, we backstories for characters who outside of bleach we never would have gotten backstories for, I pretty well figured mingo's minions wouldn't get much outside of their quarks, however baby 5 and Pink both got backstories that made those quarks that we laughed at for years at this point make 100% sense, and that is why he is easily the best character of the Arc, and probably my favorite non-strawhat character.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

It's here.

Spoiler
    Show

KING KONG GUN!!! Oh, Oda... and so the sunglasses shatter. And what was left of the city. Geez, Luffy, collatoral much? Might as well have killed what was left of the population But this should be the definitive end of Mingo, heck, he might even be dead from that. We'll see next week, maybe.
    "What's done is done."

6. - Top - End - #126

Spoiler
    Show
    The glasses are broke, Doffy's done. End of story.

That was PRETTY great.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    Whoa, the glass shattered! If tgat isn't enough symbolism for mingo's utter defeat, then I dunno what is.

That was a satisfying pay-off...cool new move, and it went past all defense and straight into mingo's face! Wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Gahh.. i will meanwhile be crying in the corner along with the laws of physics over this chapter..
    I always hated Gear 3 for being stupidly illogical, even for OP, and rejoiced when there came a new mode that hopefully put that idea away.
    But of course Oda got to sweep the legs of someone being hopeful, and once more give us Luffy smacking people around with a ballon hand...

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Gear 4 actually makes more sense when you think about it though, the power doesn't come from just the fact that they're bigger hands like Gear 3, it's essentially a blast made from compression of the air being released all at once in a single punch.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    It's here.

Spoiler
    Show

KING KONG GUN!!! Oh, Oda... and so the sunglasses shatter. And what was left of the city. Geez, Luffy, collatoral much? Might as well have killed what was left of the population But this should be the definitive end of Mingo, heck, he might even be dead from that. We'll see next week, maybe.
    Well, I can't imagine how much more powerful Luffy could become after an attack named like that! Godzilla bite?
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

One Piece is officially the best-selling comic book in history, per Guinness book of world records. He has beaten out Akira Toriyama for the spot.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/what...065000793.html

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dasgovernator View Post
    One Piece is officially the best-selling comic book in history, per Guinness book of world records. He has beaten out Akira Toriyama for the spot.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/what...065000793.html
    I knew it was only a matter of time! Go One Piece!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Did you skip Law's flashback entirely or something? Maybe the characters just aren't resonating with you or something.
    Law's background got close, but it still didn't hit all the right buttons. Not quite. I wonder if you compared the length of backgrounds post-Time Skip to pre-Time Skip if they're any shorter. I bet they are. Maybe I take time to get attached to a character, but it just hasn't been as emotional.

I think Oda's rushing things so he finishes before getting deathly ill, but it's just causing him to work harder. He needs to take some time off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

14. - Top - End - #134

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

This is it. The big chapter where everyone cries because they did it. They finally beat that ****in' flamingo *******. This chapter is great, and I feel like if you where to start all the way over from the start of Dressrosa and read the whole arc, it'd flow super well and feel amazing.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

This is it...

Guys, I think there's something in my eye. -sniff-

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Oh you pansys, stop with the crying...
    What? It's sunny in Germany today. Shut up!

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, not much to say... the battle is over and the chapter is about nothing else. I guess if I wanted to be harsh I'd say the cage symbolism is hitting us a bit heavy on the head, but then OP isn't subtle when it comes to those things Free! Destroyed but free! Also, Kiros is too manly to allow others to see him cry... oh come on, old man.

btw, Sanji's taste in bread is... interesting
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #137

DwarfFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    inb4 Doflamingo gets up

Seriously, when has a victory for the Strawhats been so straightforward recently? Heck, not even recently, they haven't really had a straight forward victory since Enies Lobby/Water 7. Thriller Bark ended with Kuma showing up and wrecking everybody. War of the Best ended with Ace dead and Luffy BSODing. Fishman Island ended with Big Mom showing up. Punk Hazard was the lead in to where we are now. I can't imagine this going so easily, especially since it'd mean Doflamingo got taken out in less than ten hits.

I'm still not sure what/who Oda could have lined up for villains after this. All that is really left is Mihawk in the Shichibukai, Akainu and the Marines, and the Yonkou. Big Mom and Kaido are the most obvious, but I highly doubt the Strawhats, even with Law, are capable of taking on any of the Yonkou yet. The closest in power to them would be Mihawk, but what reason would he have to fight them? I imagine the Marines are a bit busy with whatever Dragon is doing, if Sabo is moving around like he is. I don't think Shanks will have a serious fight with the Strawhats and it is to early for Luffy and Blackbeard to go at it, in my opinion.

Maybe a Buggy/Lucci pair up?

Also, is the fight between Sabo and Burgess going to end off screen?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suichimo View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    inb4 Doflamingo gets up

Seriously, when has a victory for the Strawhats been so straightforward recently? Heck, not even recently, they haven't really had a straight forward victory since Enies Lobby/Water 7. Thriller Bark ended with Kuma showing up and wrecking everybody. War of the Best ended with Ace dead and Luffy BSODing. Fishman Island ended with Big Mom showing up. Punk Hazard was the lead in to where we are now. I can't imagine this going so easily, especially since it'd mean Doflamingo got taken out in less than ten hits.

I'm still not sure what/who Oda could have lined up for villains after this. All that is really left is Mihawk in the Shichibukai, Akainu and the Marines, and the Yonkou. Big Mom and Kaido are the most obvious, but I highly doubt the Strawhats, even with Law, are capable of taking on any of the Yonkou yet. The closest in power to them would be Mihawk, but what reason would he have to fight them? I imagine the Marines are a bit busy with whatever Dragon is doing, if Sabo is moving around like he is. I don't think Shanks will have a serious fight with the Strawhats and it is to early for Luffy and Blackbeard to go at it, in my opinion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Doffy didn't get taken down in ten hits. He fought Law before this and had his vital organs slashed and even had a few scuffles before they landed on the top level of Dressrosa. It's been a constant fight for a long while now. We also don't know how much the Bird Cage took out of him to keep up and maintain.

As for enemies you forget that there are other Super Novas out there doing stuff and several of them have vowed to take out the Strawhats if they meet up in the New World. You also forget that there's a new Shichibukai who (according to Oda) was strong enough to cut off Z's arm. Also there's Moria who is an enemy of Luffy and he's out there doing stuff as far as we know. There are also other Admirals and who knows what's going on in Wano. Then of course the Yonko and we know Big Mom is going after the other Straw Hats currently. There are also other pirate groups under the Yonko since we know they are comparable to Whitebeard and his army so they've got to be out there somewhere.There's also CP0 on the table and who knows what they're doing. So...plenty of big names still out there to be causing problems.
    Last edited by Razade; 2015-06-25 at 06:04 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Really boring chapter today though.. almost might not have been an update at all.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You guys are right that there isn't development in the story in this chapter, but there's a WHOLE LOT going on behind the scenes.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Really boring chapter today though.. almost might not have been an update at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    You guys are right that there isn't development in the story in this chapter, but there's a WHOLE LOT going on behind the scenes.
    There's your reply, Khaine. I daresay if it moved faster, the impact would have been lost.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Definitely agree that this chapter had a lot going on in the background. I'd even dare say that this chapter still felt more packed with content than Naruto or Bleach (not exactly a good standard, but there you go).

This chapter does what it seems intended to do, which IMO is for soaking in that grand pay-off of finally and decisively defeating the main villain of this (rather long) arc.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

23. - Top - End - #143

Spoiler
    Show
    inb4 Doflamingo gets up

Spoiler
    Show
    Reminder that Big Mam's ship is literally still outside Dressrosa.

24. - Top - End - #144

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doffy didn't get taken down in ten hits. He fought Law before this and had his vital organs slashed and even had a few scuffles before they landed on the top level of Dressrosa. It's been a constant fight for a long while now. We also don't know how much the Bird Cage took out of him to keep up and maintain.

As for enemies you forget that there are other Super Novas out there doing stuff and several of them have vowed to take out the Strawhats if they meet up in the New World. You also forget that there's a new Shichibukai who (according to Oda) was strong enough to cut off Z's arm. Also there's Moria who is an enemy of Luffy and he's out there doing stuff as far as we know. There are also other Admirals and who knows what's going on in Wano. Then of course the Yonko and we know Big Mom is going after the other Straw Hats currently. There are also other pirate groups under the Yonko since we know they are comparable to Whitebeard and his army so they've got to be out there somewhere.There's also CP0 on the table and who knows what they're doing. So...plenty of big names still out there to be causing problems.
    It may not have been under ten, but it certainly wasn't much. The only effective hit Law got off was the Gamma Knife. All the fights in the New World have just been boring for me. Even this one, despite Luffy being in the condition he is in, doesn't feel like it was an actual challenge since most of Luffy's damage is self-inflicted. So far we've had Hody, who only fought Luffy by virtue of being the leader of his group, Ceasar, who basically got one shot when he couldn't sneak attack Luffy, and now Doflamingo.

Jewelry Bonney is being held by the Marines, last we knew. X Drake is likely a member of Kaido's forces. We have no idea what happened to Capone. Urouge is doing... something. Apoo, Hawkins, and Kid have allied together for an unknown reason, but I doubt it has to do with Luffy and none of them outside of Kid, which is mostly from their time at Saobody, seemed to harbor any ill will towards Luffy. Law is obviously allied with Luffy and has helped out in the past, so I doubt he'll be turning on him for anything short of One Piece.

The only new Shichibukai since the time skip is Buggy. I had to look up what you were talking about, as I haven't seen any of the One Piece movies, but I did find out that Oda said Film Z isn't canonical. Moria is nothing, he's already been beaten by Luffy, he was beaten by Jinbei, and then he was beaten by Doflamingo. Lucci is far more dangerous.

Wano is a big question mark, yeah.

The only other Yonkou out there, beyond Big Mom and Kaido who Luffy/Law are basically already fighting, are Shanks and Blackbeard. As I said, I doubt any fighting with Shanks will be serious and it is way too early to fight Blackbeard, story wise.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reminder that Big Mam's ship is literally still outside Dressrosa.
    That's why I said Big Mom and Kaido were the most obvious. Big Mom is already attacking them and taking down/striking at Kaido is literally the entire reason Law brought them to Dressrosa, taking down Doflamingo is just an added bonus.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

That's why I said Big Mom and Kaido were the most obvious. Big Mom is already attacking them and taking down/striking at Kaido is literally the entire reason Law brought them to Dressrosa, taking down Doflamingo is just an added bonus.
    Really? I'm pretty sure Law just straight up lied to Luffy about going after Kaido in order to get him to help take down Doflamingo. Law even told Doflamingo as much when they were fighting on the bridge.

Granted, Kaido is going to be coming after them given what they've just done here, but I doubt sailing out to meet him is their next move. I'm betting they head over to Wano next (though given the Samurai's apparently familiarity with Kaido, that might be the start of his arc anyway)
    Last edited by Dasgovernator; 2015-06-25 at 01:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

PirateGuy

Guys don't forget that there are island-tier dudes all over the place in the New World as well, our favorite blind swordsman was just going around minding his own business before he got recruited into the Marines, and he was strong enough for them to shoot him straight up to Admiral. There's no shortage of baddies for the Straw Hats to take down outside of the ones we already know about, Oda just has to introduce them first.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

There's your reply, Khaine. I daresay if it moved faster, the impact would have been lost.
    Nope.. read though it once more, oppion is still the same.

It may not have been under ten, but it certainly wasn't much. The only effective hit Law got off was the Gamma Knife. All the fights in the New World have just been boring for me. Even this one, despite Luffy being in the condition he is in, doesn't feel like it was an actual challenge since most of Luffy's damage is self-inflicted. So far we've had Hody, who only fought Luffy by virtue of being the leader of his group, Ceasar, who basically got one shot when he couldn't sneak attack Luffy, and now Doflamingo.
    Not an actual challenge? To start with Flamingo were slicing a town into pieces while fighting Luffy, he had just taken what should have been a mortal hit from Law, and he would have killed Luffy straight up had several people not given their life to slow down Flamingo while he were recovering his Haki.
    And at the end Flamingo allowed his pride to rule his decisions, fighting Luffy head on instead of waiting for him to once more grow tired.

I will give you Hody though, he was a speed bumb to show how far Luffy had gone.

Guys don't forget that there are island-tier dudes all over the place in the New World as well, our favorite blind swordsman was just going around minding his own business before he got recruited into the Marines, and he was strong enough for them to shoot him straight up to Admiral. There's no shortage of baddies for the Straw Hats to take down outside of the ones we already know about, Oda just has to introduce them first.
    And we saw the individual power of Whitebeards crew, where the people under WB themselves were strong enough to go face to face with Admirals, i think its pretty certain both Big Mom and Kaido will have people under them thats going to be a challenge for Luffy on their own.

28. - Top - End - #148

DwarfFighterGuy

Not an actual challenge? To start with Flamingo were slicing a town into pieces while fighting Luffy, he had just taken what should have been a mortal hit from Law, and he would have killed Luffy straight up had several people not given their life to slow down Flamingo while he were recovering his Haki.
    And at the end Flamingo allowed his pride to rule his decisions, fighting Luffy head on instead of waiting for him to once more grow tired.

I will give you Hody though, he was a speed bumb to show how far Luffy had gone.
    I stand by it. The damage Doflamingo has been inflicting upon Dressrosa is irrelevant, imo, anyone can do a lot of collateral damage. As far as I can remember, almost all of Luffy's damage is self inflicted, from Gear Fourth. Doflamingo had no choice but to fight Luffy head on, Luffy has a major speed advantage.

And we saw the individual power of Whitebeards crew, where the people under WB themselves were strong enough to go face to face with Admirals, i think its pretty certain both Big Mom and Kaido will have people under them thats going to be a challenge for Luffy on their own.
    When did any of them fight the Admirals? I remember them fighting several Vice Admirals, but there were only three Admirals at the time(Kizaru, Akainu, and Aokiji). I guess if you count Ace fighting Aokiji.

29. - Top - End - #149

PirateGuy

Mr Phoenix himself went up against at least one of the Admirals solo if I recall, and at least one of the other ones went head to head with Aokiji, though I can't for the life of me remember which. Plus we can't forget that rose guy that didn't immediately get wasted by Mihawk, a rather unheard of feat from what we'd seen on-screen before then. Personally I'd rate most of Whitebeard's sub-captains at being able to take down an admiral if 2-3 of them worked together, with the strongest being able to fight an admiral to a standstill.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    Mr Phoenix himself went up against at least one of the Admirals solo if I recall, and at least one of the other ones went head to head with Aokiji, though I can't for the life of me remember which. Plus we can't forget that rose guy that didn't immediately get wasted by Mihawk, a rather unheard of feat from what we'd seen on-screen before then. Personally I'd rate most of Whitebeard's sub-captains at being able to take down an admiral if 2-3 of them worked together, with the strongest being able to fight an admiral to a standstill.
    Jozu tanked Crocodile and, more impressively, the strongest slash from the strongest swordsman, and he also stood his ground against Aokiji, even drew first blood, until distracted. Vista also held his ground against the aforementioned swordsman, although the Marco + Vista tag team didn't dent Akainu. Then again, this is the admiral who flesh sculptured Whitebeard, Ace, and Aokiji, and went on to become Fleet Admiral. Likewise, Kizaru and the aforementioned powerful Akainu, in separate circumstances, can't also do jack against an undistracted, uncuffed Marco. Marco's only "legit" hit was from Garp.

And it may not mean much, but speaking of Yonkou subordinates, we have 1. Beckmann, who apparently managed to stop Kizaru cold by issuing a threat, and 2. Shiryu, who was relatively unharmed after getting hit by Sengoku's attack and was claimed to be around Magellan's level.