New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Player Help: How do I use leadership to have my cohort make my magic items.

I am an 11th level sorcerer with Sage/Arcane bloodline. I have a 14 in Charisma and am able to take a cohort with leadership.

I want my Cohort to stay in a major city and run a shop. His whole job is to make me scrolls, rods, staffs, and wondrous items.

What skills, feats and spells should he take?

What protections and items should I buy for my cohort for his shop?

What could he do to make a reliable upkeep on his own to run the store and send me items after I send him gold?

If he takes leadership, what should his cohorts and followers be doing?

Assume he can get a 20 in whatever relevant stat he needs.
    I am BoutsofInsanity and my name isn't a metaphor.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Player Help: How do I use leadership to have my cohort make my magic items.

Ok, first of all, how comes you're a sorcerer with only 14 in Cha, especially at level 11?
    Does your bloodline allows you to cast with another stat?

Concerning you question, can you use only PF materials, or 3.5 too? Because it seems to me that the best way to fill you need would be to take an Artificer as your Cohort. An Arty would be perfect to craft items, run the shop and do what you describe.
    His build should be a classical Archerficer or Hordificer. Highest stat in Int, Improve Homunculi and Etch Schema as feat, maybe Craft Construct and / or Craft Contingency.

Concerning the protection, anything you can think of, but something against teleportation for sure, magical locks at least, a few magical traps, and maybe a guardian golem.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2015-04-20 at 03:55 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Player Help: How do I use leadership to have my cohort make my magic items.

Sage bloodline allows for casting with Intelligence. Pathfinder only.

No gunpowder, "Asian" based classes or Advanced Class Guide.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Pathfinder doesn't have the Artificer, but it also makes creating items very easy. All you need is the relevant feats and a good bonus to Spellcraft.

For class, I'd say either Wizard (high Int -> high Spellcraft, gets bonus feats), or Cleric (gets all spells on list for free, provides options you might not have). If you make it a Cleric with the Flotsam domain, they can pull out low-level scrolls for free, which is kind of cool.

If you're using Psionics, and Psionic/Magic transparency is in effect, then Psion is another option. High Int and bonus feats, like a Wizard, and at 7th level, they could get Psychic Reformation, which would allow you to switch your known spells around.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2015-04-20 at 05:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

If they have Craft Magic Arms and Armor, picking up Craft (Weapons) and Craft (Armor) might be good. Basically, so you have the EXACT item you want, material-wise. Gloves of Elvenkind give a nice bump to Spellcraft, might consider those. Arcanist or Wizard would probably be your best bet. Also, Fabricate is something that you would want to complement those crafting skills.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Honest question: Would the DM allow it?
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-04-20 at 07:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BoutsofInsanity View Post
    Generally Leadership stacking is greatly frowned upon.
    But then again, Leadership at all tends to be frowned upon.

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    For class, I'd say either Wizard (high Int -> high Spellcraft, gets bonus feats), or Cleric (gets all spells on list for free, provides options you might not have). If you make it a Cleric with the Flotsam domain, they can pull out low-level scrolls for free, which is kind of cool.
    Throwing out some useful archetypes:
    Wizard can take "Arcane Discoveries" instead of Feats. The most beneficial here would be Arcane builder. It speeds crafting one type of item by 25%, and gives you a bonus on any Spellcraft checks to make that type of item. It can be taken multiple times.

Forgemaster Cleric, gets Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a Bonus Feat at 3rd level, and at 5th gets reduced costs/time for items made of Metal.

Soul Forger Magus gets half their level as a bonus on any Craft checks to make Weapon/Shield/Armor, at 7th level gets a time reduction for Crafting Weapon/Shield/Armor.

Impossible Bloodline Sorcerer gets Craft Wondrous Item Feat at 3rd, and when crafting can ignore 1 spell pre-req for DC purposes.

Forgepriest Warpriest gets a +1/2 level bonus to Craft on Metal items and Weapons/Armor. Can also choose Crafting Feats with their Bonus Feats.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

And I would like to point out that the Valet Familiar archetype has cooperative crafting, which allows you to double the gp progress of crafting in a day.

So a forgemaster cleric with a valet familiar can craft metal magic items in one quarter of the normal time.

If said cleric can beat the DC by 5 without a problem, the crafting time goes down to one eighth.

The best way to get a Forgemaster Cleric a valet familiar is probably dipping a level of wizard (since able assistant replaces alertness) but if you want to single class, then you can get a familiar for three feats: Iron Will, Familiar Bond, and Improved Familiar bond.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baroncognito View Post
    And I would like to point out that the Valet Familiar archetype has cooperative crafting, which allows you to double the gp progress of crafting in a day.
    Hmm... That archetype would go great with my blacksmith Eldritch Guardian Fighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Awesome guys thanks so much for the replies. That certainly gives me some options.

The DM has actively encouraged leadership. I don't think Ill be using it in the way he expects but that's ok.

Is there a pathfinder crafting guide somewhere?

I think an Elf Wizard level 9 who is the characters son. Or half-elf if I want to make it more interesting. And a dwarf smith at level 5. The other followers are those who run the shop and upkeep and such.

Now I just need an item that will allow the son to when he finishes crafting to be able to transport the item directly to my character. Like a box or something.

11. - Top - End - #11

MonkGuy

If you really want to pimp out crafting, use the downtime business rules to build a magic academy in order to produce magic capital, then use magic capital to craft items. If you can produce enough Magic capital to cover all your crafting needs, you'll be making items at 25% of the buy price.

Use your follower slots to give your cohort some level 1-3 wizard apprentices, and consider retraining them to take cooperative crafting and if they're level 3, Craft Wondrous Item.

The easiest way to handle item delivery is probably an outsider via lesser planar binding. A hound archon for example has greater teleport at will.

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

I will say this for crafting: remember, it's entirely possible to stack item abilities by crafting them into each other, just costs an additional 25%, I believe.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    I will say this for crafting: remember, it's entirely possible to stack item abilities by crafting them into each other, just costs an additional 25%, I believe.
    50% increase.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BoutsofInsanity View Post
    I am an 11th level sorcerer with Sage/Arcane bloodline. I have a 14 in Charisma and am able to take a cohort with leadership.

I want my Cohort to stay in a major city and run a shop. His whole job is to make me scrolls, rods, staffs, and wondrous items.

What skills, feats and spells should he take?

What protections and items should I buy for my cohort for his shop?

What could he do to make a reliable upkeep on his own to run the store and send me items after I send him gold?

Assume he can get a 20 in whatever relevant stat he needs.
    Might I point out the book specifically says not to allow stuff like this, a crafting cohort is literally the in-book example of what not to allow
    Last edited by Hazrond; 2015-04-21 at 11:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Hazrond View Post
    Might I point out the book specifically says not to allow stuff like this, a crafting cohort is literally the in-book example of what not to allow
    Odd - IME, a crafting cohort is one of the less problematic ones. Now cohorts that come to the battle with you - those can be a problem. But a crafter just means some extra items (limited by time, at that). Use slightly tougher enemies and you're good to go.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2015-04-21 at 12:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Odd - IME, a crafting cohort is one of the less problematic ones. Now cohorts that come to the battle with you - those can be a problem. But a crafter just means some extra items (limited by time, at that). Use slightly tougher enemies and you're good to go.
    Maybe so, but that's a very good point by Hazrond, and more than enough for the DM to veto the plan in spite of encouraging leadership usage.

Besides, this plan may end up back firing anyway: if I were a DM and I were encouraging this, it's because I plan to throw stuff at them where they WILL need the extra attack/healing/tanking/whatevering, and they will get slaughtered if they instead have a few slightly better magic items by trying to be clever. furthermore, I would not pull any punches since they brought it on themselves. I bet that +6 int instead of +4 is totally going to save you when facing the horde of beholders..

17. - Top - End - #17

MonkGuy

Wealth by level effectively goes out the window if you're running a cohort crafter unless you're on a truly extremely busy adventuring schedule.

18. - Top - End - #18

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Ah yes. When crafting, it amounts to 75% of market price to add abilities when crafting.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

As an aside, Ultimate Campaign has specific rules that pertain to owning and running a business, even for managing from afar while you're out adventuring. I'd suggest taking a look at them for your cohort's shop.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Let me explain the rules of Wealth By Level and what the DM has encouraged just so you guys can get the gist of the situation.

Also Preface this with I don't hate the DM. I am a little frustrated with some of his restrictions he has put on us. Especially because the point of being high level is the ability to have baller gear. But I am excited to play and don't dislike him for it.

Our characters for wealth by level loot is randomly generated. So I don't have my 80000 gold to spend on items I normally want. He is allowing us to also grab wealth off of the NPC chart of level 14. However, this doesn't even come close to allowing my to optimize a Sorcerer or any class really in terms of gear for that level.

I didn't off the random loot get any worthwhile rods, staffs, or protection items. I got a robe of useful items and a **** ton of wands. I have a limited number of gold to spend on the catagory's for NPC loot so I can't really go all out at level 11 and get my cloak of resistance +3, staff of anythings, rings, Pearls of Power, or whatever.

The DM has allowed and even said that I should take leadership. We already have a Paladin who has two cleric cohorts who follow him around as healers and buffers.

I simply want to use my leadership to explore crafting, having a base of operations, and have the ability to get the specific items that sorcerers don't have like Wizards for specific situations.
    • Flesh to Stone Scrolls
    • Remove Curse Scrolls
    • Divination Staffs, spells and scrolls
    • Protection from X wands
    • Metamagic Rods
    • Potions

Rather then have my character slow down the game while I craft, and have him waste his feats on item creation, he can have someone do it off screen and give it to my character. If I need to scry someone, I pop in to the shop with teleport and do it there.

He has specifically said this isn't a magical marketplace world so I can't expect to sell or buy gear. I figure as a business student, I can have a good place to be first in market. :D

I am basically looking to create a stronghold/store that I can have people supporting me for my adventures as a true hero. "We are all good aligned heroes who do the good stuff because someone has too." I love some of the rules already given to me.

If there is any guide to crafting in pathfinder that would also help. Just so I can get a grasp on how to do it and such.
    Last edited by BoutsofInsanity; 2015-04-21 at 07:22 PM.