New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: El Goonish Shive III - Totally Adorkable!

Update.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's pretty much exactly what I expected Ashley to do after getting the griffin's attention. As for the griffin's reaction, she might be suspicious but I expect she'll at least hear Ashley out.

Nice to see Mr. "you're incapable of helping" be surprised. I'm guessing he slipped up by completely missing the investigation Ellen and company were doing. Probably didn't think Elliot's texts were worth bothering to read, too.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Update.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's pretty much exactly what I expected Ashley to do after getting the griffin's attention. As for the griffin's reaction, she might be suspicious but I expect she'll at least hear Ashley out.

Nice to see Mr. "you're incapable of helping" be surprised. I'm guessing he slipped up by completely missing the investigation Ellen and company were doing. Probably didn't think Elliot's texts were worth bothering to read, too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I found the fourth panel extremely satisfying. To quote Durkon (though I might not remember it right) "I don't know what's going on, but I know a thwarted villain when I see one."

Also, I am fairly certain that's David Tennant's the Doctor in the third panel.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-09-21 at 05:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Who said the pawn of Chaos isn't the griffin?

Eliott might be an intended sacrifice to take her down, but killing an innocent would stuff a paladin I think, so maybe it's the griffin who's the target?

Depending on the relationship between knight and paladin in the other world of course, but there's at least potential for it.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In case anyone is interested, according to some sources the proper title for a female knight is "Dame."

Which kind of makes the word's modern, somewhat offensive usage a bit ironic.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm not aware of the word dame having any negative connotations, except that there might be a sense of being old or snooty. The Urban Dictionary doesn't give any negative definitions.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm not so certain Dame Griffin's agressiveness is due to her relationship with her wife. It depends a lot on what the Chesire Immortal told her, but I got the impression she simply made the mistake of believing her source of information to be honest and forthright, and her aggression is due to a combination of deceptive statements suggesting malevolent intent on Elliot's part and simple concern that she hasn't been able to find her spouse.

As for why the Griffin Elliot gave directions to hasn't been found... Well, that's the weird part. Given that Dame Griffin is the one asking questions, that implies the other cloaked figure is the griffen Elliot gave directions to- the one who isn't making as much effort to remain unseen. The fact that Dame Griffin hasn't found her wife yet suggest to me that something more is at work here. Or that Ellen is wrong and this is all the same Griffen, but that seems unlikely based on the amount of attention given to the Meddling Teenagers and co.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Who said the pawn of Chaos isn't the griffin?

Eliott might be an intended sacrifice to take her down, but killing an innocent would stuff a paladin I think, so maybe it's the griffin who's the target?

Depending on the relationship between knight and paladin in the other world of course, but there's at least potential for it.
    Um...yea it isn't really all that hard to imagine the main cast as unwitting pawns of Chaos. Where it is hard to imagine that the Chesire Immortal thought that Elliot was going to win that fight.

Also who said the Chesire Immortal was a paladin, or even paladin-like? I think he may be Knight Templar (of the tropes variety), but they kill innocents all the time (whether its because they have come up with some flimsy excuse to reject their innocence or they do so "for the greater good." And in this case I am guessing it to be the former).
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-09-21 at 02:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Um...yea it isn't really all that hard to imagine the main cast as unwitting pawns of Chaos. Where it is hard to imagine that the Chesire Immortal thought that Elliot was going to win that fight.

Also who said the Chesire Immortal was a paladin, or even paladin-like? I think he may be Knight Templar (of the tropes variety), but they kill innocents all the time (whether its because they have come up with some flimsy excuse to reject their innocence or they do so "for the greater good." And in this case I am guessing it to be the former).
    I wasn't saying the Cheshire Immortal was a paladin.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I wasn't saying the Cheshire Immortal was a paladin.
    Oh. You are suggesting the griffin is. The griffin that is very clearly trying to kill Elliot regardless of what the Chesire Immortal is planning? (She launched an attack that tore through solid stone at him, and I doubt she intended to miss.)

Mind you she might not think of Elliot as an innocent, but regardless few real world knights in med-evil times lived up to the ideal.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-09-21 at 09:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Oh. You are suggesting the griffin is. The griffin that is very clearly trying to kill Elliot regardless of what the Chesire Immortal is planning? (She launched an attack that tore through solid stone at him, and I doubt she intended to miss.)

Mind you she might not think of Elliot as an innocent, but regardless few real world knights in med-evil times lived up to the ideal.
    Paladin is a bit, but she does seem to be drawing on Arthurian myth, which suggests "normally a good guy" is likely. And, like I said, I suspect Cheshire Immortal has been carefully manipulating her to get this violent of a reaction.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Barbarian in the Playground

I honestly have to say that I'm starting to hate the Chesire immortal, on an in universe level. Deep and profoundly hate. Anymore I'll start quoting the words of AM at him. .
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    I honestly have to say that I'm starting to hate the Chesire immortal, on an in universe level. Deep and profoundly hate. Anymore I'll start quoting the words of AM at him. .
    Where is Pandora?

This hasn't been a quiet afternoon and this is her patch, she may be mutually unaware of the Cheshire Immortal, but she'll have noticed the noise.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Where is Pandora?

This hasn't been a quiet afternoon and this is her patch, she may be mutually unaware of the Cheshire Immortal, but she'll have noticed the noise.
    Why couldn't Chesire be Pandora?

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Why couldn't Chesire be Pandora?

GW
    I assumed they were probably the same.

15. - Top - End - #315

Considering his "you can't save the pawn of chaos" line, I'm almost certain that Cheshire not only is not Pandora, but is actively trying to oppose Pandora. Which is an admirable goal, really, but his choice of methods is abominable. Pandora may be a jerk, but at least she's not actively trying to kill people.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Considering his "you can't save the pawn of chaos" line, I'm almost certain that Cheshire not only is not Pandora, but is actively trying to oppose Pandora. Which is an admirable goal, really, but his choice of methods is abominable. Pandora may be a jerk, but at least she's not actively trying to kill people.
    He could be worse than that. Old immortals are insane, this guy may be older than Pandora, and if he calls her Chaos, that makes him Law. In the Elric universe Law was about order at any cost, and life was too disorderly for the lands of Law, this guy could be like that, talks law, kills by preference.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dan on tumblr
    Sidenote: Pandora isn’t at the mall. This storyline takes place on the same day as EGS:NP’s Question Mark.
    So Chesire isn't Pandora.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

He could be worse than that. Old immortals are insane, this guy may be older than Pandora, and if he calls her Chaos, that makes him Law. In the Elric universe Law was about order at any cost, and life was too disorderly for the lands of Law, this guy could be like that, talks law, kills by preference.
    Ya I don't really think Good and Evil are really applicable to the older and more insane immortals, blue and orange are much better

Still I wonder at this point how the immortal is going to interfere. He clearly is going to do SOMETHING to make the Griffon attack again. "Creatively reinterpret" the situation so that the Griffon thinks Elliot did something to her wife? Not sure right now, it doesn't help that the whole "Immortals don't interfere" is really ill defined
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

if he calls her Chaos, that makes him Law.
    Er, what? Calling her "Chaos" make him nothing. Her name his "Pandora Chaos Raven", but those are just 3 of the names she's knows under. He probably just know her under the "Chaos" name. It doesn't make him law anymore than calling her Pandora makes other people a box, or calling her Raven makes them a fox or something.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Er, what? Calling her "Chaos" make him nothing.
    Technically that's true, but if he's opposed to her and calls her chaos, the chances are that he thinks of himself as law.

I'm mainly saying that Law can be misguided, mad or "evil", even outside the rules of D&D.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Pandora may be a jerk, but at least she's not actively trying to kill people.
    Well there was the time she tried to get Abraham the Wizard killed for purely emotional reasons. Sure she knew it wouldn't work, but she still really wanted it to work and threw a fit when it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Ya I don't really think Good and Evil are really applicable to the older and more insane immortals, blue and orange are much better

Still I wonder at this point how the immortal is going to interfere. He clearly is going to do SOMETHING to make the Griffon attack again. "Creatively reinterpret" the situation so that the Griffon thinks Elliot did something to her wife? Not sure right now, it doesn't help that the whole "Immortals don't interfere" is really ill defined
    Honestly, I'm hoping he will try but his efforts will blow up in his face. (Kind of like Tom.) Bonus points if they blow up because the griffin asks him a straight forward question like "Will I find my wife if I don't kill either of these people?"
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-09-23 at 10:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322

Update.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, I'm hoping he will try but his efforts will blow up in his face. (Kind of like Tom.) Bonus points if they blow up because the griffin asks him a straight forward question like "Will I find my wife if I don't kill either of these people?"
    Step 1: Complete.

Now to see if Tara, Elliot, and Ashley are up to accomplishing step 2. Much may depend on how quickly Elliot and Ashley can figure out the manner of deception. Strictly speaking, nothing he said was a lie - he said that Ashley's word cannot be trusted, and that could mean merely that she sometimes lies, or even just that she is sometimes mistaken. He did not say that Ashley is currently lying. Exactly the sort of nitpicking that someone seeking loopholes in a rule might do.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

It really depends if the fighting starts up again or not. If not I mean I would assume the first thing Elliot would do is just say "Ya I can now bring you to my friends who apparently know where your wife is" it's not like Elliot can't figure out Ellen is the one who knows where the wife is... The immortal already said that Elliot knows where Dame Tara's wife is... so not sure how this will go. It still seems like the immortal needs to push again to start up combat.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Uh, for the new EGS:NP could someone explain to me why Sarah is shocked/afraid that Ellen is showing up? It's kinda flying over my head right now.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Uh, for the new EGS:NP could someone explain to me why Sarah is shocked/afraid that Ellen is showing up? It's kinda flying over my head right now.
    She's the female duplicate of her ex-boyfriend?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So testing on her would result in a sexy Elliot.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Colossus in the Playground

Ellen might have issues related to being morphed into a male, due to technically being a male morphed female.

Same reason why they didn't morph her at Grace's Bday Party(though the official reason was to keep the numbers even and the aforementioned technicality)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

To add to what has been said, remember some of the early things Ellen said. Yes, some of that was her trying to figure out her own identity, but that doesn't mean Sarah has forgotten those things. And for that matter, now that Ellen has come to terms with her identity, she might be a tad more willing to explore parts of it.

That being said, It occurs to me that a key person is missing here- Justin really ought to have a say in designing this form.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm mildly sad that Dan decided to go with "they can lie in this world", I really like literal truth speakers and how one can twist the truth so far that outrights lies would be less misleading. For example, in the currently most recent comic, the one from monday: Technically speaking Elliot is lying about never hearing anyone say that Ancients can't lie, if not intentionally and not in a manner that it would change the meaning of what was said. To be precise, since immortals and ancients are one and the same, just how they are called in different worlds and Dame Tara did say that they can't lie (if in the sense that in her world the others of their kind gang up on any of theirs who lie), he did in fact hear at least once that they can't lie. That it was Dame Tara herself who said it about two minutes ago doesn't change that.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Thing is, you can have that anyway without making it a requirement - I'm pretty sure Pandora has been doing it just for fun, for example. Allowing lies doesn't actually prevent the existence of people who decide to sick to technical truth for other reasons, but it does prevent things like this moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew