New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive III - Totally Adorkable!

I don't know why but Ellen's facial reactions in the last story comic amuse me greatly

Also ya that plan doesn't sound like it will be very durable. I suppose we shall see
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Y'know, I'd be willing to bet that what actually happens with name affinities is that the affinities CAUSE THE NAME.

Because that makes way more sense.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hector212121 View Post
    Y'know, I'd be willing to bet that what actually happens with name affinities is that the affinities CAUSE THE NAME.

Because that makes way more sense.
    Tell Shive that - it just might become canon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

It's only been three days since the card tournament?

Holy Jesus
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post

Holy Jesus
    Well, more like two and a half days. Be glad we got this far! Sunday was actually quicker than I feared.

Saturday lasted one year and four months (Feb 2015 to June 2016 - when the Q&A occurred). Grace's dream (Saturday night) through now (Monday morning) only took about half a year.

We're really rolling now!

(EGS:NP is still only one day later, BTW.)
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-27 at 08:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Colossus in the Playground

So... Is Tedd trying to decide which gender is closest to the real him/her... or is s/he thinking about confronting his dad about it.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post

Holy Jesus
    Dan has... not gotten better at pacing.
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So... Is Tedd trying to decide which gender is closest to the real him/her... or is s/he thinking about confronting his dad about it.
    I think the choice is "if magic changes so I can't freely change gender any more, what gender do I want to be stuck in?"
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I think the choice is "if magic changes so I can't freely change gender any more, what gender do I want to be stuck in?"
    Using the comic's terminology, I think it would be, "if magic changes so I can't freely change sex any more, what sex do I want to be stuck in [as a default]?" The comic has redefined sex as being a strictly physical thing and gender as being a strictly mental thing. Ted's gender is fluid. That's why he isn't sure what sex he would choose if he needed to make the choice permanent.

The reason for striking out "any more" and adding "as a default" is because Ted could still use his TF gun even after magic reset. It's really just the abilities from the new spell, which can change his "default" state (what sex he is with no enchantments applied) that could be lost. IIRC, he hasn't actually used the spell that way yet. (IIRC, the spell also lets him more or less duplicate the TF gun's functions without actually using the TF gun, but I don't think that's what he's concerned about.)

Although I think that's the mostly likely explanation, another choice would be: "Do I choose a default sex and stick with it for now or do not worry about it and risk becoming stuck with whichever default sex happened to be in effect at the moment magic reset?" I think he already jumped past that and decided that he needed choose a default sex and stay with it, at least until the risk passed (but permanently if magic did change).

One thing that's a bit ironic is that Ted is the person who's the most upset about the possibility of magic changing, yet other people would be affected much more. He only recently was marked and he hasn't made much use of that yet; he'll still be able to tinker with magic devices; and the new spell he could potentially loose pretty much duplicates what his devices already do anyway.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-28 at 10:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Using the comic's terminology, I think it would be, "if magic changes so I can't freely change sex any more, what sex do I want to be stuck in [as a default]?" The comic has redefined sex as being a strictly physical thing and gender as being a strictly mental thing. Ted's gender is fluid. That's why he isn't sure what sex he would choose if he needed to make the choice permanent.

The reason for striking out "any more" and adding "as a default" is because Ted could still use his TF gun even after magic reset. It's really just the abilities from the new spell, which can change his "default" state (what sex he is with no enchantments applied) that could be lost. IIRC, he hasn't actually used the spell that way yet. (IIRC, the spell also lets him more or less duplicate the TF gun's functions without actually using the TF gun, but I don't think that's what he's concerned about.)

Although I think that's the mostly likely explanation, another choice would be: "Do I choose a default sex and stick with it for now or do not worry about it and risk becoming stuck with whichever default sex happened to be in effect at the moment magic reset?" I think he already jumped past that and decided that he needed choose a default sex and stay with it, at least until the risk passed (but permanently if magic did change).

One thing that's a bit ironic is that Ted is the person who's the most upset about the possibility of magic changing, yet other people would be affected much more. He only recently was marked and he hasn't made much use of that yet; he'll still be able to tinker with magic devices; and the new spell he could potentially loose pretty much duplicates what his devices already do anyway.
    Do we have any indication that if magic changed Ted's devices would still work? I would assume that devices depend on the current way magic works, but I don't remember any evidence.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #1241

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Do we have any indication that if magic changed Ted's devices would still work? I would assume that devices depend on the current way magic works, but I don't remember any evidence.
    IT's spell magic that would change, but Tedd's devices run on/imitate Uryuom magic, and the Emissary of Magic said that the inherant magic of species that had it, like the Uryuoms and their shape changing, would remain the same.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

13. - Top - End - #1243

I would note, however, that Tedd does have reason to be upset at the idea that he could have cost everyone magic... Even though the Emissary himself said, back in the Squirrel Prophet arc, that nothing Tedd was doing would affect Magic.

Tedd's mother abandoned him because he, apparently, had no magical powers. It's quite apparent that this has screwed Tedd up--he was practically mute for a while, had no friends until Elliot, getting the TF gun was the first time he'd spoken in a while, apparently, and he was crying from the outburst when we next saw him. Even after character development and confidence boosting, in his imagination sequence of "perfect" men that Grace was ignoring in favor of himself, one of them declared that "our mother's love us." Later, when Elliot and Sarah break up, Tedd briefly goes into a panic and mentions people going to Europe and never visiting because "it's too expensive, even if it is Christmas."

It's entirely possible that that his lack of magical powers is a big freaking deal for him and, consciously or not, is a contributing factor to his desire to give magic to everyone. Upon finding out that... Yeah, here come some aggravated issues.

Not to mention that Tedd does not know that his mage sight wouldn't be taken away and he literally just got a magic mark--he finally has something special about himself. Magic all of his own, to himself that doesn't come from something else, something that might make his Mom love him... and he could lose it. Even if he doesn't consciously realize it...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

That's true. If you remember Tedd's backstory, it makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

15. - Top - End - #1245

Yeah, Tedd is a woobie. You must take this into account when reading his reactions to bad news as woobism breeds woobism.

I honestly hope that something good happens to him soon. I'm personally hoping that Edward is going to find out about Tedd being gender-fluid and, after taking a moment to confirm, suddenly being incredibly relived because he thought Tedd's gender bending was for perverted reasons instead of gender identity reasons.

I mean, this guy's secretary is a shapeshifting extra-terrestrial without biological sex and he deals with magic and aliens on a daily basis. Transgender stuff isn't really that weird by comparison.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

New comic

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    Dan has... not gotten better at pacing.
    Are you sure about that?

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Firbolg in the Playground

Are you sure about that?
    Well, he now even has a spell in the comic that has characters wonder off without time passing...
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shive
    Back when I was first figuring out Sister 3 and how the heck everything was going to fit together, I considered a scene like this for re-introducing Sarah's spell.
    Honestly, this quote from the new comic commentary really shows how bad the pacing is and the reasons it's so bad.

It was so long since the spell was last shown that it needed to be re-introduced.

But the scene itself is long and drags out.

Increasing the time between concepts being visited.

Meaning those concepts will have to be re-introduced.

It's been a three days since the card tournament.

The card tournament ended in 2014.
    Last edited by Professor Gnoll; 2017-02-03 at 09:17 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Well, he now even has a spell in the comic that has characters wonder off without time passing...
    Yeah, I know! I didn't want to whine about Dan's slow pace, but this page in particular just seemed so static in so many ways that I thought it was funny.

I think we can imagine why Dan would think a character would think this spell was so great. He enjoys stopping time and exploring the feelings and motivations of this character and the feelings and motivations of that character and the nuances of this spell and the nuances of that spell and the interactions between characters and so on. He can stop time and explore things as much as he wants since he's the author of the comic. It would be easy for him to assume that his characters would want to do stop time and explore things for themselves. It even goes beyond that. As the author, he gets to manipulate the characters. Sarah can also manipulate characters with the spell to some extent.

Time hasn't completely stopped, btw. A few seconds are passing in Sarah's real world while Sarah is wandering around inside her simulation. What are the odds that the car in front of her has slammed on the brakes in the meantime?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-02-03 at 10:53 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tell me Sarah's not stupid enough to cast this spell while she's driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Tell me Sarah's not stupid enough to cast this spell while she's driving.
    It's a spell that stops time, or at least slows it down enough that it may as well be stopped. It isn't going to hurt her.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    It's a spell that stops time, or at least slows it down enough that it may as well be stopped. It isn't going to hurt her.
    It doesn't stop time. Her time perception is accelerated while casting the spell (i.e. she might feel like she has been in the spell for an hour, but it's actually been just a minute), but time does continue to move while she is in her trance.

Hopefully she's the passenger. Because even if she had come to a complete stop before casting the spell, that's going to annoy anyone behind her when the traffic moves/light turns green, and she's just sitting there in a stopped car.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I really, really, doubt Sarah's stupid enough to use this spell while driving. I expect she's a passenger, whether in a friend's car or on a school bus.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ettin in the Playground

... it effectively stops time.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

It effectively stops the comic, yeah.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Titan in the Playground

It really doesn't. It takes a snapshot of the surrounding area, then puts Sarah into an accelerated-awareness trance where she can interact with a simulation of the snapshot.

Time keeps moving while Sarah's in that trance, even if her perceptions are sped up. So it would be really stupid to use it while driving, considering at highway speeds a car can move upwards of ten yards every third of a second.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

From the previous comic's commentary:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shive
    Wait a moment. Sarah, you're not simulating stopped time while driving, are you? I mean, you wouldn't, obviously, that would be absurd. Ha ha

Seriously, though, you're not, right?

Remember, kids: Don't magically simulate stopping time while driving.
    Three takeaways from that: Yes, it would be dangerous; My thought wasn't as original as I thought it was; Apparently Dan isn't sure how much common sense Sarah has.

Obviously, I just assumed that Sarah cast the spell while driving. Yes, that would be pretty stupid, but teen drivers sometimes do stupid things and I don't get the impression that Sarah has much going on upstairs. Having her wander around for pages doing little more than saying. "Wow!" isn't helping helping matters much.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-02-04 at 09:10 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

Having her wander around for pages doing little more than saying. "Wow!" isn't helping helping matters much.
    Dan's tendency to have characters exposit everything they're thinking can get a bit stupid when there's nothing to exposit.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

...I don't get the impression that Sarah has much going on upstairs...
    That was overstating things a bit, actually. I could easily be forgetting things, but I think that until recently (well, recently in-comic) Dan just didn't do much with Sarah. She was the normal person surrounded by OP people, so there just didn't seem to be anything much to her. That doesn't mean she is particularly stupid, though. More recently, she was fine Friday night.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know what I think would be cool? A series focused on Nanase and Ellen, working as mystery detectives. Ted could be a nice scientific referent/Q (from 007). It would be a nice NP. It would also give some insight into how Nanase and Ellen are seen/see themselves now.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).