New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive III - Totally Adorkable!

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Man I know the pace for this date seems to be going decently slow (Or at least it seems that way to me) but I just love the Ashley/Elliot interactions. Awkwardness for all
    They are adorable. Just adorable. So awkward. So cute. The more Elliot stays with Ashley the more I can find him tolerable. Which is a big plus.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

.....and with monday's comic I just realized:

there are technically as of this moment four different lesbian couples in El Goonish Shive:
    fem-Elliot and Ashley
    fem-Tedd and Grace
    Ellen and Nanase
    Rhoda and Catalina

now you may argue, that Elliot is straight, but at the moment she seems to not have much of a problem with kissing Ashley while in female form, and Tedd is gender-fluid. this comic is already the gay singularity that Homestuck wishes it was.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Before today's update, I would have agreed with previous poster that the date, while cute, didnt have great momentum.

At this point, however, I find it hilarious.

Even if the most recent developments are sure to stir all kinds of things up, I'll admit that it was a while ago we had something like the dramatic climax of the battle with not-Tengu or Susan's confrontation with Tom. I realise that it can't be like that all the time, but right now it feels exceedingly mellow.

I mean, except for RIGHT NOW right now. How about that, huh?
    This whole chapter is great for me. I am fine with not getting epicness out of everything, if the things we get are good. I wasn't fine with the MtG tournament arc going nowhere for about half a year, but it wrapped up nicely at the end (I'd still have cut like half of that stuff, especially Larry).

This arc, however, is comedy gold. It's awkward, cute, funny and ridiculous. And I'm ok with that
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually loved the MTG arc and I'm not really interested in either of the stories going on right now (or any of the 3 stories, really, if you include current Newspaper comics. I enjoyed the Sarah arc while it was running though).

I'm waiting for the current stories to pay off or be over, whichever comes first, and for the strip to get back to stuff I'm more interested in :P I guess we have opposite tastes.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

And that's okay.

Personally, I'd like to see a bit more of Sam, see where that goes.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    And that's okay.

Personally, I'd like to see a bit more of Sam, see where that goes.
    Now I'm thinking about his date with Sarah, and the fact that Sarah now has a power... How is she going to use it during their date?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Now I'm thinking about his date with Sarah, and the fact that Sarah now has a power... How is she going to use it during their date?
    Oh wow thats temptation, might be hard to use though without getting up to use the restroom or something like that. Otherwise Sam will be seeing Sarah just closing her eyes concentrating on something for like a minute or so
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    .....and with monday's comic I just realized:

there are technically as of this moment four different lesbian couples in El Goonish Shive:
    fem-Elliot and Ashley
    fem-Tedd and Grace
    Ellen and Nanase
    Rhoda and Catalina

now you may argue, that Elliot is straight, but at the moment she seems to not have much of a problem with kissing Ashley while in female form, and Tedd is gender-fluid. this comic is already the gay singularity that Homestuck wishes it was.
    What does gay singularity mean.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    What does gay singularity mean.
    I dunno, thats just something Hussie said.

Quoth Hussie:
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhussie on twitter
    homestuck will eventually reach a gay singularity. mark it down. it will make korra look like republican propaganda.
    he has a long way to go before he even reaches El Goonish Shive levels- he has only one gay relationship going (RosexKanaya), he just broke up the second (MeenahxVriska) so he is now down to 1/4 the levels of lesbian that EGS has.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Sidesaddle? sidesaddle?

Sidesaddle is about protecting the hymen from accidental breakage. I'm not saying that Sarah isn't a virgin, but even so, is the physical object that important to her?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Sidesaddle? sidesaddle?

Sidesaddle is about protecting the hymen from accidental breakage. I'm not saying that Sarah isn't a virgin, but even so, is the physical object that important to her?
    I suspect that a broom or pole would be exceedingly uncomfortable when ridden in the "traditional" position (on a horse, you have a saddle. Even on a bike you get a bit of a wide area to rest your weight on, insufficient as that area usually turns out to be). IIRC, Harry Potter actors did not enjoy filming Quidditch green screen. Side saddle might be a less uncomfortable way to sit on one of those, regardless of any other considerations.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #162
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not sure that's a Forum appropriate topic.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I suspect that a broom or pole would be exceedingly uncomfortable when ridden in the "traditional" position (on a horse, you have a saddle. Even on a bike you get a bit of a wide area to rest your weight on, insufficient as that area usually turns out to be). IIRC, Harry Potter actors did not enjoy filming Quidditch green screen. Side saddle might be a less uncomfortable way to sit on one of those, regardless of any other considerations.

Grey Wolf
    Yeah, except you could grip with your legs if you were rolling off, which it seems to me is an idea which deserves some consideration even when flying straight and level. Some sort of saddle might well be good, and wouldn't be difficult to devise, bicycle saddles should be adjustable to fit for example.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2015-07-14 at 05:48 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Occam's Razor regarding the pose: as stated in the description, based off of this image

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

I figured it was based on the image but had the same though. For balance reasons, I would sit the normal way on this, no sideways. And that has nothing to do with hymens, as far as I know. This way of riding was developed when women wore long dresses/skirts, which means they had to lift them and reveal their legs if they rode the normal way. Since showing one's legs was indecent, this way of riding was developed. When it became obvious that it led to many more accidents due to lack of balance, women were allowed to wear pants but only for horse-riding in many places. Those laws are sometimes still in place although not enforced.

Since the character is already showing her legs, this way of riding makes no sense except for aesthetic reasons, i.e. it's considered sexier.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Hold on, maybe I am being stupid here but why is Elliot freaked out that Tensaided is calling him? He already showed him that he "knows" Cheerledra. I don't see any reason why he would be calling now.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Hold on, maybe I am being stupid here but why is Elliot freaked out that Tensaided is calling him? He already showed him that he "knows" Cheerleadra . I don't see any reason why he would be calling now.
    I think the implication is that the Cheerleadra moment has not yet happened at the time of this date with Ashley (all those silent stills happened "at some point during the summer" not necessarily concurrent with the storyline). If so, he's freaked out because he can't answer with a girly voice, and because he's just been reminded he still needs to go through with the (implied) promise to have Cheerleadra and Tensaided meet.

Edit: yeah, thinking about it, that doesn't quite work - this has to be happening after school is back in session, so either he forgot to do the Cheerleadra thing before start of school (and therefore, it is still pending, and the still moment didn't happen during the summer, despite its title), or he did do the Cheerleadra thing, and Tensaided is calling because he needs Superhero help, and the last panel of today's comic is a misdirection. Maybe. Or of course other possibilities I'm missing.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-07-24 at 12:31 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

I think the implication is that the Cheerledra moment has not yet happened at the time of this date with Ashley (all those silent stills happened "at some point during the summer" not necessarily concurrent with the storyline). If so, he's freaked out because he can't answer with a girly voice, and because he's just been reminded he still needs to go through with the (implied) promise to have Cheerledra and Tensaided meet.

Grey Wolf
    What? No, the Cheerledra meeting moment happened during the summer in the "Previous summer moment" section. It is winter already. The Cheerledra moment definitely happened already unless I am totally misremembering what happened and when.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

What? No, the Cheerledra meeting moment happened during the summer in the "Previous summer moment" section. It is winter already. The Cheerledra moment definitely happened already unless I am totally misremembering what happened and when.
    Yes, sorry, I realised that after I posted (see edit above). I've tried finding an up-to-date timeline, but the wiki I've seen stops short of the summer.

GW

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't think you're misremembering. It's clearly winter (all the pre-date commentary on coats vs dresses), and that event was established as happening during the summer.

It is very likely that we're about to see more of that event now, and that Tensaided's perception is better than we give him credit for - enough that if Elliot answers with a female voice it will be proof enough to completely convince him that they're the same person.

I gotta say, as adorkable as Elliot/Ashley may be, Dan is going to some effort to show a very strong chemistry in play.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Are those people in the background of panel 4 running? If they are, and they are running away from/towards some big event near Tensaided's video rental store, it might reinforce the "Tensaided needs superhero help" hypothesis of mine. I still don't see how that meshes with the double "oh-crap" face moment, though.

GW

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Are those people in the background of panel 4 running? If they are, and they are running away from/towards some big event near Tensaided's video rental store, it might reinforce the "Tensaided needs superhero help" hypothesis of mine. I still don't see how that meshes with the double "oh-crap" face moment, though.

GW
    If you're reading it right, the double oh-crap seems well deserved if you look at it.

* He can't answer the phone with a female voice or Tensaided will know for sure.
    * He can't jump to help because Ashley doesn't know about him being Cheerleadra yet.
    * He can't get Ashley to screen his call because, again, she doesn't know about it.

Elliot is in a very tight position if something is going down at the video store. He can't leave Tensaided hanging, he can't leave Ashley wondering what happened, he can't get back to male form out in the open, and he can't rely on Ashley because she doesn't know about it all.

Of course, the point of this would be to force Elliot to tell Ashley about Cheerleadra, placing him in a position where the only way out is revealing the secret. I doubt he has much to worry about, though. Given Ashley's easy adaption to Elliot being a gender shifting, slime igniting, internet celebrity, super martial artist, I don't see how she'd take Elliot being a superhero as well as being anything but another "so cool" aspect to him.

Wow. I just said that. This comic is weird.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Sidenote: Elliot still has the phone, but does it originaly have a heart on it?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    If you're reading it right, the double oh-crap seems well deserved if you look at it.

• He can't answer the phone with a female voice or Tensaided will know for sure.
    • He can't jump to help because Ashley doesn't know about him being Cheerleadra yet.
    • He can't get Ashley to screen his call because, again, she doesn't know about it.
    All that justifies the current "oh crap" face (although I'm unsure if he has had time to think through the whole scenario - Ashley has looked back at where those people are running to, but Elliot is looking at his phone the whole time). However, I still don't see how that connects to the last panel "oh crap" face. That one is definitely a "Elliot has forgotten he still needs to do something difficult", with "forgotten" seemingly the key component due to the "What are you" bit. I'm not sure how that connects to the current situation - what is he suddenly realising he has forgotten to do, just from a phone call from Tensaided?

Grey Wolf

25. - Top - End - #175
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post

* He can't answer the phone with a female voice or Tensaided will know for sure.
    * He can't jump to help because Ashley doesn't know about him being Cheerleadra yet.
    * He can't get Ashley to screen his call because, again, she doesn't know about it.

Elliot is in a very tight position if something is going down at the video store. He can't leave Tensaided hanging, he can't leave Ashley wondering what happened, he can't get back to male form out in the open, and he can't rely on Ashley because she doesn't know about it all.
    He totally could. Just because you've got your phone, doesn't mean you're in a position to answer it. Some situations include driving, swimming, noisy environment, can't get through layers of winter clothes, etc.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    He totally could. Just because you've got your phone, doesn't mean you're in a position to answer it. Some situations include driving, swimming, noisy environment, can't get through layers of winter clothes, etc.
    ...Playing "Doctors" with your date in a changing stall...
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-07-24 at 12:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

All that justifies the current "oh crap" face (although I'm unsure if he has had time to think through the whole scenario - Ashley has looked back at where those people are running to, but Elliot is looking at his phone the whole time). However, I still don't see how that connects to the last panel "oh crap" face. That one is definitely a "Elliot has forgotten he still needs to do something difficult", with "forgotten" seemingly the key component due to the "What are you" bit. I'm not sure how that connects to the current situation - what is he suddenly realising he has forgotten to do, just from a phone call from Tensaided?

Grey Wolf
    The flashback "oh crap" is to tell us that the Cheerleadra event hadn't happened at that point, and that it's likely to happen soon. Elliot forgot about it and suddenly realized he really should do something about that ASAP. We're going to see Tensaided and Cheerleadra meet, and Tensaided's going to say or do something that makes Elliot very cautious around him.

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    He could, yes, but then he wouldn't be Elliot. Elliot is a very responsible and empathetic young man. This isn't about how Elliot looks to others, it's about how he sees himself. The idea of knowingly leaving Tensaided in a state like he would be in (in this crisis hypothesis), it would tear the guy up. Jumping into action would be an acceptable alternative, but that would require abandoning Ashley in the middle of a very successful first date with no explanation. That's not cool, either. So he's in a pinch created by his own personal morals - hurt Ashley, leave Tensaided unanswered, or reveal something to Ashley much earlier than he'd otherwise feel comfortable doing so.

The crisis could quite probably be tied to the cloak monsters the gang are researching now, turning into a tag team between friends who are officially unaffiliated against a magical foe. This would explain why the two events are happening concurrently.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Ya with the people running in the background (I didn't notice them at first) I am betting for Tensaided needing heroing assistance. More than likely dealing with the cloaked things wandering around. Cue Ellen and crew getting a text and arriving on scene fairly quickly

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I believe that sufficiently explains the "Oh crap" reaction as well as framing it like he forgot something important.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Well there goes all pretense of secrecy. I think Elliot prefers that anyway.

Also, one hell of a first date.

Ashley's reaction to this will be very interesting. On the one hand, Elliot is literally an embodiment of a fantasy she's had since she was a child, and also a superhero. On the other, is that kind of inequality really good for a relationship? Compare with Susan, who found herself not ready to be involved with Elliot even knowing of his powers. I wonder if Dan will address this, or if it'll just be "best boyfriend ever!"
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!