New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive III - Totally Adorkable!

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm. Can't get a handle on its thought process. It seems to recognize "German dark" as referring to a last name, where I personally would have read it first as beer and second as ethnicity, but it doesn't get that it only fits as a name of translated.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

If the cloaked figure is indeed looking for the Griffin, perhaps it is a Manticore? It does fit the scorpion-like tail.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Continuing the above line of discussion
    Show
    I took that to be the cloak, wrapped around a long lion tail? The bifurcation need not be part of the tail itself, I mean. But I might be doing that thing where I go 'oh, hey the beak says it's a griffon, which totally fits with what others have said' and then looked at the tail and found a way to make that fit.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Spoiler: Continuing the above line of discussion
    Show
    I took that to be the cloak, wrapped around a long lion tail? The bifurcation need not be part of the tail itself, I mean. But I might be doing that thing where I go 'oh, hey the beak says it's a griffon, which totally fits with what others have said' and then looked at the tail and found a way to make that fit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yeah, picturing a griffin under it, I can totally see that. The beak is open, the eye placement is correct, and I can see the head feathers and the wings... Could be a lion's tail then I guess but on the other hand the position of the tail seems pretty weird to me, and the bifurcation is sharp. Still, looks more like a griffin than a manticore

EDIT: EGS NP

Well, someone got restyled. With that make-up on and the face being smoother, he looks way more like a girl, and... way less like himself. I didn't recognize him right away, and wasn't sure until I read the commentary.
    Last edited by Lissou; 2015-08-21 at 04:51 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Griffons are sometimes depicted with a snake for a tail.

Maybe in EGS, it's a case of Sexual Dimorphism.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Griffons are sometimes depicted with a snake for a tail.

Maybe in EGS, it's a case of Sexual Dimorphism.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought that was chimeras.

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought that was chimeras.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Traits are not mutually exclusive. Just because one thing has a thing, that doen'st mean other things can't have the same thing.

Also, mythologically speaking, a Chimera is a fire breathing creature with the head and forequarters of a lion, the hindquarters(and sometimes horns) of a goat, and the tail of a serpent. Not a snake tail.

It's only modern fictionalized depictions of Chimera that depict them with multiple heads and snake for a tail(and having dragon parts instead of or in addition to the snake parts)

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Traits are not mutually exclusive. Just because one thing has a thing, that doen'st mean other things can't have the same thing.

Also, mythologically speaking, a Chimera is a fire breathing creature with the head and forequarters of a lion, the hindquarters(and sometimes horns) of a goat, and the tail of a serpent. Not a snake tail.

It's only modern fictionalized depictions of Chimera that depict them with multiple heads and snake for a tail(and having dragon parts instead of or in addition to the snake parts)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fair enough, though I had also heard that the origin of the griffin was noble houses combining the two animals that best symbolize nobility (the eagle and the lion) and use it as their own banner.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Um, that's totally wrong.
    This is from 400 BC. You can also just image search "ancient greek art chimera" to find a whole lot of stuff that looks like that and very little that doesn't.
    The ancient greek poem Theogony also describes it thus: "[Echidna] was the mother of Chimaera...who had three heads, one of a grim-eyed lion; in her hinderpart, a dragon; and in her middle, a goat, breathing forth a fearful blast of blazing fire." The Bibliotheca says the same.

It's worth noting that the Greek word for dragon also means snake, which may explain that part of the interpretation.
    Last edited by Hytheter; 2015-08-22 at 09:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    Um, that's totally wrong.
    This is from 400 BC. You can also just image search "ancient greek art chimera" to find a whole lot of stuff that looks like that and very little that doesn't.
    The ancient greek poem Theogony also describes it thus: "[Echidna] was the mother of Chimaera...who had three heads, one of a grim-eyed lion; in her hinderpart, a dragon; and in her middle, a goat, breathing forth a fearful blast of blazing fire." The Bibliotheca says the same.
    Do you have the entire quote? Because the way it looks now, it looks like the stuff after the ellipses is referring to Echidna, rather than the Chimera.

I'd like to have the entire relevant part of a quote before responding to it.

Regardless, my initial education about the mythology used the "one headed" variant, and as that is a statue, not a myth...(and as stories and depictions change over time...)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

You can read the whole thing here. The part I ellipsed out was just more description of Chimera but that wasn't relevant to my point.

It's not describing Echidna because Echidna is described in the previous passage as a half nymph half snake creature.

Like you said, myths can vary over time and from place to place. But your initial comment was stated as an absolute, when in fact a good deal of available material contradicts it.

edit: "and as that is a statue, not a myth..." is a pretty poor argument, by the way; clearly the statues and artworks depicting chimera are inspired and based upon the myths and stories that tell of it. And in turn they probably inspired retellings of the stories. You can't just divorce the images from the text and say that only the latter matters.
    Last edited by Hytheter; 2015-08-22 at 10:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222

There are however plenty of cases where the images are based on the artists interpretation of the text, and sometimes the artist may misunderstand.(I have seen illustrations on books or films based on books where the description is nothing like the image.)

But yes, I assumed that how I had been educated was the absolute truth.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    You can read the whole thing here. The part I ellipsed out was just more description of Chimera but that wasn't relevant to my point.
    I'd say that description doesn't actually tell you anything about the body or tail at all. It describes the heads, a lion, goat and dragon, arranged front to back, nothing at all about the body they are somehow mounted on. You might be able to read it as the dragon head faces backwards (i.e. replaces the tail), but that's about it.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
    I'd say that description doesn't actually tell you anything about the body or tail at all. It describes the heads, a lion, goat and dragon, arranged front to back, nothing at all about the body they are somehow mounted on. You might be able to read it as the dragon head faces backwards (i.e. replaces the tail), but that's about it.
    My point was that it does indeed have multiple heads, whereas rater claimed that it had only one.

Besides, as I stated already, a significant amount of period artwork does in fact depict it with head replacing the tail.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Barbarian in the Playground

I totally want a cookie now.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Huh, it has a non-lion cat tail. Lots of people called it being a griffin, but did anyone call that?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Considering that Dan wanted to make it clear that this was a different griffin entirely, the tiger body was probably the clearest that he could do to make the point that this was a different griffin.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, we can't see the end of the tail, so there might still be a tuft of fur there (I actually assumed there was until your comment). I took the tiger thing to be a pattern but yeah, come to think of it, could be a tiger's tail too I guess.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Well, we can't see the end of the tail, so there might still be a tuft of fur there (I actually assumed there was until your comment). I took the tiger thing to be a pattern but yeah, come to think of it, could be a tiger's tail too I guess.
    Regardless of whether or not it is fluffier at the end of the tail than the rest of it, what is shown is still not a lion tail.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Regardless of whether or not it is fluffier at the end of the tail than the rest of it, what is shown is still not a lion tail.
    True, it's a griffin tail.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    True, it's a griffin tail.
    Heh.

But, you know what I mean, right?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh.

But, you know what I mean, right?
    Yeah, I do :P. If it has the shape of a lion's tail and the marking of a tiger's tail, it's really neither. But it could also be considered both. What I meant was that we're not entirely sure of the shape of the tail, since we didn't see the end of it. When she was cloaked, her tail seemed bigger towards the end, so I'm waiting to see if that's the case or if it was just the way the cloak wrapped around her tail or something.

Not that this is terribly relevant, but the shape of the tail did cause some speculation at the time, as it looked a bit scorpion-like, so I'm curious what the tip of it looks like.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    .....and with monday's comic I just realized:

there are technically as of this moment four different lesbian couples in El Goonish Shive:
    fem-Elliot and Ashley
    fem-Tedd and Grace
    Ellen and Nanase
    Rhoda and Catalina

now you may argue, that Elliot is straight, but at the moment she seems to not have much of a problem with kissing Ashley while in female form, and Tedd is gender-fluid. this comic is already the gay singularity that Homestuck wishes it was.
    And counting.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Another Thing. After the reveal of Elliots Gender...somethingness the most important white male Cis-Hetero Moperville Student in the Story is... Noah.
    Last edited by AGD; 2015-08-30 at 01:35 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

I think this is mostly because there's a slight imbalance towards female students as secondary characters for whatever reason.

EGS still has plenty of white cis-male heterosexual characters. They're just not students.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I think this is mostly because there's a slight imbalance towards female students as secondary characters for whatever reason.

EGS still has plenty of white cis-male heterosexual characters. They're just not students.
    Glancing over the minor characters list, there may be as many male students as female ones who have gotten on panel names - Noah, Tony, Ronin, Matt Cohen, Cecil, both Toms, Erik, Gary, Gerald, Victor, Matt and Rat - though none of them have had a lot of lines, which makes orientations a little hard to assign.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Good Tom has a girlfriend and bad Tom was a manipulative skirt-chaser (or how should I call it), so in their case we can at least say, they are attracted to women. Where they exactly fall on scale is up in the air though. The awful duo from the comic book store are supposedly interested in women as well even if all women around wished they weren't (see latest card tournament).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, Dan.

Oh, Susan.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Girl Genius XVIII: Invisible Hand of the Legendary Smoke Knights

Y'know I can't help but wonder if Tiger Griffin is an abusive spouse that Other Griffin is trying to escape from. Other Griffin seemed to be rather polite, but this one is all set to dispel and kill rather than just explaining the situation and asking for help.

Though I suppose the other possibility is that Tiger Griffin thinks Eliot kidnapped Other Griffin. That would also explain the reaction while not being quite as dark.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-09-02 at 06:05 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XVIII: Invisible Hand of the Legendary Smoke Knights

Y'know I can't help but wonder if Tiger Griffin is an abusive spouse that Other Griffin is trying to escape from. Other Griffin seemed to be rather polite, but this one is all set to dispel and kill rather than just explaining the situation and asking for help.
    This was my first thought upon hearing that she was looking for her wife. If someone could do that storyline while maintaining a light tone it's probably EGS, so here's hoping.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades