New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures VIII: H8ers Gonna H8

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Yeah there's something up with the site. If you refresh a couple dozen times it comes back.
    ^My experience
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I needed to refresh this Potato a dozen times each page, but it was worth it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glad that Hussie figured out how to write these pages without massive WALLS OF TEXT eventually. That was by far my greatest annoyance with early-to-mid Homestuck.

But this stuff is all pretty excellent
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the updates for 4/29 and 4/30 keep, like, disappearing? Half the time I go back to the site, and 4/28 is the latest, with no ==> command after John goes "d'aww".
    Thank you for mentioning this. I thought it hadn't actually updated at all.

The only page I could see them from was the archive : /
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

So, I gotta say.

No matter what the stakes get ramped up to,

No matter what epic battles take place,

No matter what cool lore we learn,

Moments like these are the things I look forward to most in Homestuck. Just a bunch of friends finally getting together to enjoy each other's company.

Throughout the entire story, the kids are usually isolated from one another. Heck, they apparently talked with each other over the internet for years, never meeting face-to-face until after Sburb began. Sometimes two people will come tantalizingly close to meeting, like when John visited Rose while she was asleep on LOLAR, or Roxy's attempts to meet her mother. The whole thing with the way paradox space keeps certain people from coming together in dream bubbles sort of brings this theme to the foreground, but it's always there, a nagging desire to just see these kids all be in the same place at the same time, with no life-threatening circumstances to prevent them from enjoying it. The stated goal is the liberation of all of paradox space, but when you get right down to it, this is a story about long-distance relationships, making good friends over the internet without ever meeting them, and how special it is to meet a good friend in person for the first time.

It's just such a beautiful thing, this human emotion called friendship.
    You can always rely on the kindness of strangeness.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

(resists urge to shout "FRIENDSHIP IS NOT AN EMOTION YOU [randomswearing]")

6. - Top - End - #36

PirateGuy

A new update coming with one of those "Choose your conversation" dealios. Only the top left is "filled in" though.

Spoiler
    Show
    WELL we're just jumpin right in aren't we? Conversation with John, Dave, and Karkat goes over Dave's new... views? on relationships and how they really work and all that. Super philosophical in ways that I, personally, find unsatisfying. Then we jump into black romance and how it actually works in an interpersonal level, ending up with they Dave and John's views on the whole "alpha kids" thing. Lots of stuff to dig into, can't wait to see how everyone else sees things.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    A new update coming with one of those "Choose your conversation" dealios. Only the top left is "filled in" though.

Spoiler
    Show
    WELL we're just jumpin right in aren't we? Conversation with John, Dave, and Karkat goes over Dave's new... views? on relationships and how they really work and all that. Super philosophical in ways that I, personally, find unsatisfying. Then we jump into black romance and how it actually works in an interpersonal level, ending up with they Dave and John's views on the whole "alpha kids" thing. Lots of stuff to dig into, can't wait to see how everyone else sees things.
    Apparently Walls of Text aren't a thing that ever stopped happening
    Spoiler
    Show
    That said, there are some real gems in this Potato.
    • Karkat definitely falls into my "I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say" bucket.
    • I could listen to Troll Romance Talk all day. Which is good, because that is how Hussie rolls.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Truly, the clockwork of friendship turns ceaselessly, operating the swing-lever dealies of harassment in perpetuity.

Spoiler: My favourite bit was
    Show

This entire update was magnificent, but my favourite bit was Karkat telling John that what he felt towards Terezi was black romance, and the way it just completely shook his worldview.

I also liked the contrast between John and Dave's ideas on sexuality. John never really had any opportunities to expand his own views, while Dave spent the last three years being the only heterosexual person around, so it completely makes sense for him to have spent a long time thinking about it.
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I'm glad that I haven't had any trouble getting updates to show up. Although the "LATEST PAGES" section of the page has been quite inaccurate for a while, and thus has pretty much ceased to function as an indicator of how much recent content there is. A relatively minor nuisance, though I can't help but wonder what the deal there is. Now it even lists a 4/30/15 update as 5/1/15. Screwy. The "Adventure Log" page appears to be perfectly fine, which is fortunate, but the weirdness going on here seems even weirder in light of that. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    I'm glad that Hussie figured out how to write these pages without massive WALLS OF TEXT eventually. That was by far my greatest annoyance with early-to-mid Homestuck.
    What the heck are you talking about. The long, rambling conversations between friends freaking make Homestuck.

Also, SPOKE TOO SOON, SUCKER!

Also also, it looks like we will have many, many such conversations to look forward to in the near future.

It is going to be so, so beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Hussie basically confirmed that the entire rest of the comic (until the big endgame) is going to consist of big rambling blocks of teenagers arguing with each other.

11. - Top - End - #41

I am mildly amused about the way in which the alpha and beta kid's family tree thing is convoluted and absurd like say the Egyptian Pantheon, and will get more ridiculous as romances develop.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Hussie basically confirmed that the entire rest of the comic (until the big endgame) is going to consist of big rambling blocks of teenagers arguing with each other.
    Come for the plot, stay for the teenage squabbling? also shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    I am mildly amused about the way in which the alpha and beta kid's family tree thing is convoluted and absurd like say the Egyptian Pantheon, and will get more ridiculous as romances develop.
    THE family tree isn't all that messed up actually. Jane, Roxy, Jake, and Dirk are each their own singuler parent, Jane and Jake are the parents of John and Jade, Roxy and Dirk are the parents of Dave and Rose, pretty simple actually.

it's the romances that can get a little twisted up yes, pretty sure that's what you ment anyways
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

That means the Alpha kids are technically their children's half siblings, though.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

ummm... How?

Rose, Jake, Dirk, and Jane are litterally their own singuler genetic parent. there are no half siblings in this family.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    ummm... How?
    By being their own parents.

Code:
       Roxy   Dirk         Jane   Jake      
       |  |   |  |         |  |   |  |      
    Roxy  +---+  Dirk   Jane  +---+  Jake   
            |                   |           
            |                   |           
          +---+               +---+         
          |   |               |   |         
       Rose   Dave         Jade   John

[Edit]Hmm, maybe this one is clearer:

Code:
       Roxy          Dirk            Jane          Jake
       |  |          |  |            |  |          |  |     
       |  +----------+  |            |  +----------+  |
       |       |        |            |       |        |     
       |     +---+      |            |     +---+      |
       |     |   |      |            |     |   |      |         
    Roxy  Rose   Dave   Dirk      Jane  Jade   John   Jake
    [/Edit]

Of course, that's even assuming that characters "are" their pre-Scratch counterparts, which itself is dubious.

[Edit]Actually, maybe distinguishing between the two helps to make the point here, so:

Code:
    Rose's Mom    Dave's Bro    John's Nanna    Jade's Grandpa
       |  |          |  |            |  |          |  |    
       |  +----------+  |            |  +----------+  |
       |       |        |            |       |        |    
       |     +---+      |            |     +---+      |
       |     |   |      |            |     |   |      |        
    Roxy  Rose   Dave   Dirk      Jane  Jade   John   Jake
    [/Edit]
    Last edited by Devils_Advocate; 2015-05-01 at 07:49 PM.
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Genetically speaking, Roxy and Rose's mom are the exact same person etc, ergo Roxy is effectively her own genetic mother, as is the case with the other alpha kids.

and that... that thing you're doing there where you're putting Roxy next to Rose... that's completely unnecessary, and... not really how it works? Rose's mom (roxy) is still Roxy's (biological) mom as well, she is literally her own mother, and her DNA combines to create Rose. shifting her to be beside Rose on the tree doesn't make her half-sisters, it just makes a crooked tree.

They could have been odd STEP sisters if Rose's mom (Roxy) had hooked up with Roxy's mom (Rose) but that never happened so... You're really just over-complicating a very simple family line here.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Rose's mom (roxy) is still Roxy's (biological) mom as well
    Yeah, that's the point here. ROSE AND ROXY HAVE THE SAME MOM, BUT NOT THE SAME DAD (what with Roxy not even having a dad), THUS MAKING THEM HALF-SISTERS.

I don't see why you seem to be having a hard time seeing how Squark's statement is true.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    Yeah, that's the point here. ROSE AND ROXY HAVE THE SAME MOM, BUT NOT THE SAME DAD (what with Roxy not even having a dad), THUS MAKING THEM HALF-SISTERS.

I don't see why you seem to be having a hard time seeing how Squark's statement is true.
    Easy, there. Not that big a deal.

Anyway, it ultimately comes down to what the kids decide themselves. Siblings just happens to be one of the options that requires the least adjustment- After all, Rose already learned she had a brother, why not a sister as well.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Easy, there. Not that big a deal.
    But it's fun getting worked up about things that don't matter.

I mean, come on. Implying that putting all of someone's offspring in one row is somehow twisting things to make it falsely look like said offspring are all siblings and/or half-siblings? Saying that it's "completely unnecessary" to make a diagram illustrating my point, as though he didn't just do exactly the same thing? This obviously demands a response, even if it's actually entirely unimportant, and the entire exercise is little more than an absurd ROLE-PLAYING SCENARIO. It's still fun, though. ;)

Anyway, it ultimately comes down to what the kids decide themselves. Siblings just happens to be one of the options that requires the least adjustment- After all, Rose already learned she had a brother, why not a sister as well.
    TT: I didn't actually need the ectobiological verification that she was like a mother and a sister at the same time. I always understood that somehow.
    - http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005538

21. - Top - End - #51

Well the actual family tree isn't particularly tangled the way the people inside it perceive each other is. Rose and Roxy both see the other as a mom who is also the same age her, Dave also sees Roxy as the mother he never had while John sees her as a romantic partner. It's already slightly giving me a headache without even mentioning that there are 4 other people, one of whose stique is being fractured into various versions of himself. The only way their potential relationship web couldn't be more tangled is if it didn't include the trolls.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

I find it funny how everyone is "No, it isn't really complex. This dude is his own dad and he's the genetic but not really physical dad of this guy while this girl is her own mom and - etc.", which, to me, screams complex.

This summarizes pretty much my entire experience with homestuck, though. I still understand **** about it, and all the other fans saying "noooo it's pretty simple" only make that more entertaining.

It's got something, though, something I find hugely entertaining for a reason I don't know yet, so I'm in 'till the end.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Fair enough. I made note that it is "the most recent" drama, unless someone has a more recent drama that needs to be added? After all, Homestuck does produce "dramas" on a regular basis so I think noting that fact is relevant to anyone chancing upon this thread.
    Honestly it might be time someone went to the effort of writing a new OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

24. - Top - End - #54

PirateGuy

Well THIS update isn't going to re-ignite the Vriska wars or anything, no siree.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Honestly it might be time someone went to the effort of writing a new OP.
    > Gez: Write a new OP

Re: Potato
    Spoiler
    Show
    And that's the Vriska we all know and loathe love

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    She's back.
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Poor Jape.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Christ I hate Vriska so much.
    Like, with Caliborn and Gamzee, while I know that they are technically terrible or whatever, they have an inherent level of absurdity that makes them more tolerable. Like, a split-personality juggalo mass murderer? That's inherently absurd and kind of funny.
    But Vriska is at her most terrible when she's doing stuff like this- bullying people to make herself feel better. Like, yes, she threw Tavros off a cliff and that's pretty absurd, but most of her terrible things are just being a petty bully.

Vriska is worse than almost all the other characters (except one, in my opinion) because I can full expect to meet people like her in real life. Much less likely to do so with Caliborn and Gamzee.

The other terrible character is Cronus, because we've all met that douchebag...
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

29. - Top - End - #59

NecromancerGuy

My fondness for ladies who wear glasses can only go so far . . . I must now align myself with the Vriska haters.

Which is actually quite the feat. I've never particularly cared for Jake, but you don't go ****ting all over Tavros' commendable efforts to make the guy actually feel good about himself while he's in this funk.

At least it's still possible to express a fondness for Aranea.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah there was literally no reason for her to do that. Morally ambiguous actions for a possibly greater good is one thing, this is another. If someone else on the team doesn't call her out I'll be annoyed.