New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Crash & Burn IC

1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Crash & Burn IC

Godsdam it Autumn. Any other time and your appearance would be a blessing. The beggar limps his way over to the tiger-masked shifter. It takes him a second to limp over to her Must keep up appearances. Upon finally hobbling his way over to her, he says in a hushed tone, "May the Flame smile upon you today m'lady for aiding this old war veteran in his travels, the ruffians behind me have disturbed the peace of this night quite a bit. The kindness in your heart has carried me thus far, would it take me further, away from such a noisy place?" despite how jovial the beggars face appears, there is a slightly dangerous edge to his voice.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I'm going to try and make the DC15 bluff check to tell Autumn that we should leave the area. The underlined part is what he's saying in order to convey that they should leave.

Bluff check: (1d20+14)[24]

Last edited by n0ble; 2015-05-20 at 02:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

There is a brief second of silent tension in which it is unclear whether or not the message got through... Then the shifter scoffs. "Bah! Beggars. I'll carry you further, old man, but I don't have all night." Then she turns with a flourish of her cloak and walks away, half-pushing the 'old man' next to her.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Autumn, Calandras

Together, the two of you make it out of the market unhindered. You can still hear the chaos behind you as the guard presence closes in on the rest of the crowd. Cries of outrage and protest are met with the iron swords and shields of the law as the Flamekeep officials begin to shut everything down, asking for identification papers and interrogating everyone. Indeed, as you walk you can see a guard peering after you. He seems to think about reporting you... but ultimately chooses not to, turning to head back into the fray of angry shopkeepers and the city's policing force. Nobody else appears to be following you, and you disappear from the scene.

The further you walk away, the more isolated the streets become, until only the two of you stand alone on a street corner. Many of the everbright lanterns that round each corner still burn - living up to their name - but there doesn't seem to be anyone else awake to appreciate them. Night markets like the one you just left must be one of the only attractions that Flamekeep has to offer at this hour, unless one were looking for... less savory activities, and even then the Lower City and its docks would be more likely to house it. Here, on the middling tier, there is only darkness and a deafening silence, leaving you to talk.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-05-20 at 03:30 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Joresh cursed as Autumn moved out. We shouldn't have any more people running off by themselves, especially since the Conspiracy knows we're in town. He manifested Mindlink on Ignatius again, and adopted a quick disguise before following Autumn on the hunt. I'll keep an eye on her.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Take 10 on Disguise check for 16 total, goal is to disguise as human.

He followed Autumn's lead, content to leave a large gap between the two. It's not as if she was hard to spot, and the less he was visibly associated with her, the better. Between his Mark and the Shifter's fierce appearance, the two of them would stand out like sore thumbs. He followed Autumn to the square where he was able to catch up with her. <Autumn, what are you doing? That can't be Calandras..> he stopped talking as Hero confirmed that this stranger had the same mental profile as their group member. Well.. that''s a thing. <Let's get out of here.>

OOC: Joresh's response to Ignatius is coming soon (tm)
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2015-05-20 at 06:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Calandras let the silence hang awkwardly in the air. His thoughts turn immediately to the two figures flanking him as he squats down into a half sitting position, legs bent. He stares off into the darkness in contemplation Doubtful that the Blood would send a shifter as an agent. No. There is a simplicity to her. A sort of purity not even the Thranes can replicate. Genuineness even. His thoughts turn to the Kalashtaar, taking a slightly darker bent He didn't want to talk on the train. Anyone sent to screen me would have been more talkative, prodding for more anything they could see as information. Even so, there is some kind of darkness in him. He and I are the same in that regard I suppose. Calandras recalls the Shifter's words about not being afraid of showing the Thranes her true nature. An odd, reassuring wave of feeling washes over him as the thought crosses his mind. He sighes, letting the air escape his body. Time to prove your more than what the Thranes make you out to be Joresh.

He opens his mouth and his voice comes out smoothly at a slow pace. Despite evenness and monotone in his speech, his speaks as if talking to the two wisest individuals in all of Eberron, "I suppose your looking for answers. I can give them to you on two conditions. One, how were you able to find me? Two, I'll tell you my story, thereby explaining this" he holds up the beggars fleshy stump ",provided you both promise it stays between the three of us. Please do not lie to me when you make this promise. I will almost certainly know, and I'd like to think I can trust both of you." He continues to stare off blankly into the darkness, waiting for an answer.

Show

rolling sense motive, using an action point and a point of inspiration for a total of +22 before the action point is spent (1d20+22)[35]
    Action points: (1d6)[5] & (1d6)[2]
    For a grand total of 40

Last edited by n0ble; 2015-05-20 at 09:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276

Zombie

"I promise," Autumn says straight-away - there is no hesitation, no time to ponder his words. Her eyes - as seen through the tiger mask - are fixated on Calandras with a tranquil intensity, a disturbing honesty. This is a woman who knows no doubts. She takes off the mask - the strange liveliness of the features fading and leaving only rigid wood in a disturbing bestial grin - and she shakes off her hood, letting her hair run down her shoulders.

"Some agent of our mysterious opponent, known as James Worth, stayed at our inn and enquired about us. With the use of my shifter senses honed by this mask, I followed his scent to the market place. I'll tell the whole group about where he went through later, it might prove useful - but anyway, before I could follow any further I sensed your smell under this beggar's guise, and since the whole market went into chaos with the guards searching for someone, I couldn't follow the trail anymore. So I decide to enquire as to what you were doing."

Suddenly she frowns. "Wait, they were looking for you, weren't they? I'm stupid. What happened back there?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Esara

Esara takes a moment to review what has been written on the wall thus far. "Let's see," she says quietly, stepping over to the leftmost column. "If the last two attacks are any indication, we can expect the bomber to be plainly unsettled by his situation. Not that it will be a simple task to discern his unease amidst a crowded social or religious gathering, but we should be on the lookout nonetheless." Taking a piece of chalk, she writes irregular behavior under Step 1.

"If we're in agreement about the geas -- and it sounds like we are -- then we need to account for the presence of the trigger man as well." She adds an 's' to the end of Find Target. "A simple command word is all he'll need to arm the vest, but by the same coin, a spell of silence would be enough to prevent him from doing so. He may very well be relying on a teleportation spell to escape the blast, but as a contingency, I wouldn't be surprised if he was also invisible or warded against fire." She writes silence under Step 2 and see invisibility or arcane sight under Step 1.

She steps to the right, looking over columns three and four. "Should we fail to prevent the attack, I'm fairly certain the blast could be contained within a sphere of force. I've never cast the spell myself, but how hard could it be? Acquiring the scroll shouldn't be too much of a problem in a city this large." Finally, she writes resilient sphere under Step 4.
    Last edited by rypt; 2015-05-20 at 10:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

What a Tangled Web we Weave.

As they walked to the dockside, he noticed that there were no witnesses. If something happened here, there wouldn't be a soul that would know about it. The Conspiracy knew they were in town. He had to prepare for an ambush. He manifested a handful of powers as he walked, making sure to suppress all visual displays.

Spoiler: Buffing Time:
    Show

Share Pain on Hero: 3 ppts
    Vigor: 8ppts
    Inertial Armor: 7ppts (invisible)

with the benefit of the torc, costs 15 ppts total.

As he listened to Calandras, he was thinking quickly. He admitted it wasn't a form of magical disguise after all. There were very few possibilities left...

Then it struck him. The Conspiracy had at least one Changeling on their roster. Why would Calandras had been determined to hide his nature from them all? The hackles on his back began to rise as he recalled the events of the past few days. Ethan and Calandras had shown up together and were previously associated with each other. Calandras had mentioned in Wroat that he and Ethan were working together, and that he needed to report to their superiors. The two of them were working together, and Joresh broke into a cold sweat as he realized that he never had the slightest hint that Ethan had lied to him.

Joresh frowned and looked up at Autumn as she agreed to Calandras's request. He folded his arms and walked away a good 20 feet from the both of them before he turned around and began to speak.<No.> he said simply <You want me to make a promise about information I don't know about? Even if you've been acting to undermine this mission? With the fate of the continent at risk? I can't possibly do that. You've been hiding something big from all of us. Even if I did make that promise, there's no way I could be sure if your telling the truth. Your a good liar, I know your better at it then me. So why don't we have this conversation back with everyone else? Then you can explain what you and the good Major have been up to the whole time.>

Joresh shifted his stance, and it was obvious that even the slightest threat would set him off.

OOC: Prepared Action
    Spoiler
    Show

If Calandras attempts a hostile action, manifest Energy Stun targeting him.
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2015-05-20 at 10:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Calandras slows his breathing. "Ah. Well I suppose theres not much i can do except talk before you hit me with your best shot. Shame really. If you really want to know about me, then allow me to talk and scan my mind afterwards." he very calmly raises his hands and slowly takes off his ring of mind shielding and hands it to Autumn. "My real name..." he pauses, "Is Shimmris Scheppen. I never new my real parents." As he says the alien words, the beggars form disappears, replaced instead by a lithe body, possessed of chalk white skin, a vestigial nose. He is smaller, much smaller than Autumn or Joresh. Naked but for the skin tight Karnnathi uniform her wears. "The gnomes that ran my orphanage, Orryn and Lorilla, are who I take my last name from. They were decent, kind folk. But kindness cannot keep an orphanage supplied or running. But a job in the military could. So I did what I could, signing up during the war and giving my proceeds to the orphanage. My superiors put my intellect to work as a supply officer. I was good at it. Very good.

"Wasn't long before they realized I had a knack for social situations as well. They "promoted" me. To an interrogator. I had-have- one of their best success rates, nearly unblemished. The people I interrogated though, they were... monsters." he makes a point of looking up from the ground and locking eyes with Joresh, as if he has found some sort of inner strength in reliving past confrontations. "I once interrogated a man who had been discharged early due to mental instability. He had skinned two Breland couples. Alive and in front of each other. I quit the military soon after. But the war, the war never really does end does it? When I got home, the Scheppens and orphans were dead and missing. Killed by the Blood of Vol"

"I've spent the last ten years of my life trying to destroy them for what they've done" his eyes start to well up at the memories, while his hands curl into fists, knuckles starting to whiten as they do. It takes all his strength to keep from yelling, "The Major-Ethan- was a close friend of mine in the military. The Blood couldn't resist the chance to send good old Caladras back to catch up with the Major, especially when word came down that he was to be part of some sort of task force. He knows who I am, why I'm here. He can vet me if you so desire. Or Boranel himself, I'm sure he knows. What I don't know is if I'm the only person the Blood sent to keep an eye on Ethan. Go ahead read my mind Kalashtaar, it's all there."

Time to see if he really does have that darkness in him I suppose. With that thought he recalls memories of what he just described. Piggybacking on Orryn as a young changeling, pale white for all the world to see.Orryn didn't care who he was, just that he was there. Oryn's hair as it shone golden in the sun. The horror of the Smiler, as if he thought he was doing his country a service by killing the Brelands. The sound prisoners made when he beat them. The rage he felt upon coming home. The rage he feels towards Aborghast. The vampires face, leering and predatory. And buried underneath all of it, a cold uncaring desire for vengeance interlocked with compassion. And hope.

Show

If Joresh does read he mind with detect thoughts, I'm electing to fail on purpose. He'll see what I've described in the last paragraph, though in much more detail and in a manner that corroborates Shimmris' story.

Last edited by n0ble; 2015-05-20 at 11:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rypt View Post
    Esara takes a moment to review what has been written on the wall thus far. "Let's see," she says quietly, stepping over to the leftmost column. "If the last two attacks are any indication, we can expect the bomber to be plainly unsettled by his situation. Not that it will be a simple task to discern his unease amidst a crowded social or religious gathering, but we should be on the lookout nonetheless." Taking a piece of chalk, she writes irregular behavior under Step 1.
    "That will only give us a few moments of warning. I'd rather try to blanket the area with protections against teleportation. There are spells that can delay teleportation and tell us its destination - that would give us an almost infallible way of identifying the target. For mundane methods, we might need to bring on additional help. The more pairs of eyes we bring on board, the more likely we are to find things. I might be able to get my house to loan us some locals."

"If we're in agreement about the geas -- and it sounds like we are -- then we need to account for the presence of the trigger man as well." She adds an 's' to the end of Find Target. "A simple command word is all he'll need to arm the vest, but by the same coin, a spell of silence would be enough to prevent him from doing so. He may very well be relying on a teleportation spell to escape the blast, but as a contingency, I wouldn't be surprised if he was also invisible or warded against fire." She writes silence under Step 2 and see invisibility or arcane sight under Step 1.
    "If there is a geas, we should have someone looking over the crowd and searching for magical auras. The geas will show up."

She steps to the right, looking over columns three and four. "Should we fail to prevent the attack, I'm fairly certain the blast could be contained within a sphere of force. I've never cast the spell myself, but how hard could it be? Acquiring the scroll shouldn't be too much of a problem in a city this large." Finally, she writes resilient sphere under Step 4.
    "I can scribe such a scroll. It'll be cheaper than buying it, and it'll only take a day. I'll set my quill to work on it now."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Joresh was surprised when Calandras took off the ring, but he quickly began to peer into his mind. He stood there and listened quietly as Calandras shared his story. There was a part of him that felt guilty about exposing some of the man's most personal moments in his life, but he still dissected the memories with a dispassionate mind. This was necessary, he could not tolerate any potential threats to the mission.

I.. believe you. He sighed. So the Blood of Vol is involved in this too... This just keeps getting better and better. If everyone else finds out your working with them, the Blood will likely catch on, which will compromise your position with them. Here's what I think: as long as you don't let your secrecy interfere with our primary mission, I honestly could care less about what your doing on the side. Handle this as you will, but if you want my two coppers, you should talk to Ethan about this. He trusts you, and I would like to believe this is a world where trust like that is never misplaced.

He turned to move out. Let's go, we have a continent to save.

As they walked, he reached out to Shimris telepathically. Joresh figured that if he had wanted to share it with Autumn, he would have mentioned it out loud. <When you decide its time for the vampire to go back in the ground where he belongs, look me up.>

~~~

Talk with Ignatius
    OOC: So, Its taking too long to write up what I want to say, so I'm just going to leave this part here for now. You can respond to it, or if you wait I will add another post continuing what he is saying.

Joresh frowned at Ignatius's request and got up to leave. Before he could do so, Hero scuttled out from beneath his shirt. He spoke to the two of them, all traces of his usual levity lost. <You should talk to him.> The ten year old voice said quietly. <You shouldn't be alone anymore.>

Joresh sighed and sat back down. He waited for a good thirty seconds, before he spoke up again. He considered lying to the gnome, but he recalled what had happened with Shimris earlier that day. Secrecy would only undermine everything at this point. Very well. you may cast your spell.

Once Igantius was finished, Joresh began to speak. I've been thinking about it ever since the border crossing. I understand why I am evil.

Joresh looked him straight in the eye.

I could tell you a sob-story about how losing my brother at a young age started my on a dark path, and how cruel misfortune warped me into what I am today. But that would be dishonest. As a person I am more then the aggregate of all the events that have happened in my life. It is my choices that have led me to this point, and I take responsibility for that. In my life and all of the lives shared by the spirit I am bonded to, I have yet to experience someone who has not been touched by tragedy in some manner. Living through a tragedy doesn't make you special. It is the Weak that get consumed by their past and use it an excuse to justify why they're unable to look to the future. People are motivated by different things. Some are driven by loyalty to their countries, others by loyalty to their families, or their Faith. Some people can go through their entire lives without ever contemplating why they do what they do.

As for who a I am... it is a common cliche, but its true that people are like snowflakes. In all that time I've spent inside strangers' minds, I've discovered that everyone is perfectly and gorgeously unique. They exist for only once in a brief moment, all of their loves and dreams only occur once across all of the vastness of space and time. Just like snowflakes, when you take even the smallest step back they become completely and utterly indistinguishable. There is nothing more common then uniqueness, or more dull then the whirling, feverish self-absorbed narrative of every isolated person in this world. How could we ever believe that a life is inherently sacred? It's more of a convenient way to justify our own importance, a mutually assured delusion at best.

He sighed Despite all of it, I have found nothing more precious in this world then the potential offered by one mortal life, nor is there a cause more worthy then safeguarding it With that perspective, I learned that all of us mortals are more alike then we would care to admit. I never understood how people can use artificial labels like race, gender or nationality to divide each other. When it comes down to it, we all want a chance to live out happy loves, to be loved by others and be loved in return. What I want; what I truly want. is a safe world where ordinary things can be done by ordinary people. Unfortunately, that is impossible to achieve. The collective pettiness of the mortal races undermine any hope for lasting peace. Furthermore... there are dark powers, nightmarish forces which threaten the existence of all mortal life on Eberron.

He stood up and began to pace around the room.

I do not doubt that you know of some of them already. The Firstborn of Khyber; the Overlords. On Sarlona there is land known as Syrkarn. Even the Riedran Empire treads lightly there, for fear of the Ancient powers sealed in that desolate land. They have been sealed away by powers beyond our comprehension, but they are still a risk. There are other forces too, the Daelkyr of Xoriat, the Demons of Shavarath... If these powers succeeded, it wouldn't mean that one civilization would supersede another, it would mean the end of mortal life as we know it. The potential offered by all the mortal races would annihilated. The idea of this happening disturbs me greatly. Add on top of that the destruction that is caused by regular wars, and there are a lot of things screwed up in this world.

Unfortunately, there is not a damn thing that ordinary people can do about it. But I have options, my psionic gifts give me Power. I have the chance to be more then a passive bystander. Is that ambitious, if not outright arrogant? Yes, yes it is. The odds are stacked agianst me, but until I try to change things I will never know if its possible or not. I never accepted limits just because someone else says they exist. But if the sum of my actions can reduce the chance of Annihilation occurring by even a fraction of a percentage, then it will be worth it.

He sat down, and began to concentrate on the block of iron in the middle of the room. The surface of it rippled, as if it was a liquid.

I'm assuming that you are old enough to have lived through the entirety of the Last War? Then you understand how much constant conflict warps a society. You know the type of damage that occurs to an entire culture when generations grow up fighting their parents wars, and pass that same mentality down to their children. The reason I'm reminding you of this is that I want you to appreciate the implication of the fact that the Kalashtar in Adar have been at war for fifteen centuries. I fought in that war. I found it to be an exercise in futility. That fact and a personal event drove me to go to Khorvaire. It was either that or stay in the Mountains and meditate for the rest of my life. That would be considered a virtuous, righteous life by most conventional moral standards, including those of the Path of Light and I presume The Sovereign Host. But I would have not found that fulfilling. It would have been a commitment to ignore what goes on in the world.

The forms of several swords began to emerge from the liquid metal.

If I want to enact change, then I need Power. Not just to develop my own psionic abilities. I need resources, influence, contacts. Immortality is also on the list, or all that I accumulated will be lost, and that will be the end of what I can contribute to the world. I hope to find a less destructive method then Vampirism, but I will take what I can get. Money and influence are not enough to usher in charge on such a large scale. Sometimes it requires Force. What if were possible to make it impossible to consort with Demons by enacting a ward binding Shavarath as has been done with Xoriat by the Gatekeepers or Dal Quor by the Giants? Or what if it were possible to eliminate the concept of discrimination from the collective consciousness of every mortal in Eberron? Neither are actionable right now, but they do sound more feasible if you've taken over the World.

I don't believe it is possible for one moral code to perfectly explain how one should respond to any given situation. Life is inherently far too convoluted for that. I was not taught about the Sovereign Host in Adar, instead we followed the Path of Light. I grew up in a society where we were taught in terms of absolute truths, but I it is incredibly arrogant for any one group, creed, or religion to claim a monopoly on Wisdom.

He chuckled
    I have heard of the concept of Atonement among Paladins. Despite their bravado and grandiose claims, they seem to implicitly acknowledge that there are some circumstances where applying their Code is not the right decision. Ironic, that they build in an escape clause to their entire belief system. So I decided that I would play things by ear, I try to find a system that lets me come up with the best outcomes for any possible situation. If something comes along that challenges my beliefs, I accept that change and move on.

The swords separated from each other, and Joresh examined them for blemishes.

What I believe right now is that Force is a necessary tool to enact change, and thus killing people is justified if it achieves the appropriate result. It is impossible to calculate the moral worth of a person's life, it is precious beyond all measure. Therefore, my only choice is to evaluate each person as being of equal moral value. A King is the same in my sight as a convicted murderer. So if I can kill one to save ten, or ten to save a hundred, I will do it without hesitation. I have that obligation because of my power. If I didn't make that choice, it would be saying that my clean consciousness is more important then the lives that can be saved. That would be selfish beyond all measure.

I suspect my mentality when I kill another person is why the Paladins interpreted me as being evil. When I kill someone, I acknowledge that person as being my moral equal, but I still make the decision to kill them anyways. I sincerely believe that my life is more valuable because it has more to offer to the world then them, because of my power and my ambition. That is an inherently selfish act. When other people kill, they abstract away their opponent to make them something less then themselves. Most people know that killing people is evil, and they killed a person. Therefore, what they killed could not obviously be a person, because that would mean they are evil. It was a 'heretic' or 'a monster' or the most popular delusion used in the Last War, 'the enemy'. Therefore, killing them is morally acceptable. My mental powers make it impossible for to adopt that perspective, ironically enough they give me perfect empathy. I have seen the world through the eyes of so many different people. I cannot ever believe that a person doesn't have the right to their own existence. I never bought into the delusions used by others to justify killing another sentient being. When I kill someone, the decision to kill was mine alone. I made the decision to destroy something beyond all value. That is why I am evil.

His eyes became cold. There are some people that would claim that certain methods of killing are 'good' and others are 'evil', as if there was some morality to the battlefield. They are wrong. That is an illusion perpetuated by so-called Heroes throughout history, that makes it easier for countless young people to kill each other for 'honor' and 'glory'. The battlefield contains nothing but unspeakable despair; it results in only a crime we call victory, which we obtain through the pain of the defeated. In spite of all the wonders of Artifice and Civilization, we have accomplished nothing. Our true nature has not advanced at all since The Age of Monsters. I want to end this cycle. I will do so using the most appropriate methods at my disposal. Even if that means staining my hands with every evil in the world, I don't care. If that's what it takes to change the world, I will do it gladly.

Righteousness cannot save the world... I care nothing for it.
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2015-05-22 at 04:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282

Zombie

As the shapechanger reveals his true appearance, Autumn takes a step back, surprised and confused - she remains quiet as he speaks, listening to his story. It strikes a chord with her, certainly. Though this is in part because of Shimris' real appearance - changelings have always looked so frail and meek to her, so vulnerable and in need of protection. It feels strange, bizarre, to hear one talking about such harsh things, of death, conspiracies and revenge. It makes the world seem a bit colder and harsher. She stares at the ring in her palm - such a small yet powerful symbol. Shielding one's mind to hide one's secrets. She shivers.

"Hey," she says as Joresh turns, and tosses the ring to the changeling. "Don't forget this. And Joresh? I still have a trail to follow. We're getting back to the inn, but we'll need to gather everyone and get back here as soon as we can. It's a trail we can't afford to lose, but I don't want to follow an enemy of unknown power without back-up."
    Last edited by Mechanix; 2015-05-21 at 12:28 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Autumn, Joresh, Shimmris

Maneuvering through the dark streets on your own, you begin to feel the silence wrapped around you. There are moments, walking, when the shadows seem longer. As though they're being pulled apart by the demons in your head. Perhaps that's a bit too dramatic, and yet the quiet is still foreboding. Fear is funny like that - you can point out its shortcomings, and it manages to frighten you nonetheless. It's not a specific feeling that dogs your heels, more of a sensation that proceeds a feeling. Or follows one, you're not quite sure.

By the time you arrive at the threshold of the Silverman's Shanty once more, the twelve moons of Eberron are nearing the middle of their reign. Like the rest of the establishments by the water - and decidedly not like the vast majority of the rest of the city - the doors are still unlocked and one of them has been left ajar. Inside, you are assaulted with the same smell of fish, and yet the wood-burning fires lends a kind of warmth to the atmosphere that wasn't there before. Or perhaps it's just that each of you has had an incredibly long day. Between unwanted marks in the morning, undesired stares in the afternoon, and unearthed secrets in the evening, none of you have escaped the 21st of Nymm. Olyvara is still standing behind the bar, polishing glasses and chatting with several patrons and other servers as they begin to clean up as their shift ends for the night. She smiles and waves at each of you as you enter, either oblivious to the looks on your faces or otherwise pretending to be ignorant. "It's last call, but if you want one drink, I'm sure I can get something fixed up for you. On the house."

When you get upstairs, you find the four figures of your companions still talking amongst themselves. Beren is hunched over a desk, working on tasking a quill to do... something. Esara and Ignatius stand near the written chalk, and you can see some new terms on the board underneath the four main plans of your team, including the names of spells that may prove helpful. It likely explains what the artificer has been doing with his quill. And Ethan sits near the corner of the room, still brooding over a knife point. The major's mood seems black, although the others don't seem to share his sentiment.

Show
    This concludes most of the action of the 'first day' in Flamekeep, albeit a short one. I've given everyone 1000 xp for their progress so far. Sorry for splitting up the party, hopefully now you guys can consolidate a bit more what's been going on before deciding on your next move. I'm assuming that people will be resting until the next in-game morning. I will leave the revealing - or not revealing - of secrets entirely up to you.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-05-21 at 01:09 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Esara

"Oh, I'm sure you can," Esara smiles at Beren, "and I thank you for the offer. I'm afraid, however, that the language of artifice is not a language I speak. If I am to learn the spell for myself, it will need to be scribed in the language of the arcane."

When Autumn and Joresh return from their excursion, she is glad to see that they've brought Calandras with them. "Get lost, did ya?" she teases the squire. Turning to Autumn, she rubs chalk dust from her hands. "What'd we learn about our friend in 119?" She stretches her back, her expression a mixture of grin and grimace. "Anything that can't wait until morning?"

The Lyrandar heir climbs into bed that night feeling as though the day has been a productive one. It is a feeling of contentment, and as tired as she is already, it should have made falling asleep all that much easier. Unforunately, Esara finds herself lying in silence, staring into the darkness, her thoughts drifting back to the bombing in Stormhome. In light of all that she's learned of the subsequent attacks, the first attack -- the attack on her home and on her house -- seems more anomalous now than it ever did before. The bombs themselves are so advanced, the mechanisms of their delivery so carefully orchestrated, it is difficult to believe that these people could have made a mistake. Might the Stormhome blast have been an accident, a premature detonation resulting from an imperfect binding or a flawed dragonshard? Or could it have been a trial run, a proof of concept of sorts? Could they have had a specific target then, or a motive different from the one they have now? Esara has answers to none of these questions, and the void in her mind where those answers would reside is beginning to fill with doubt. For the moment, it is only a slow trickle -- one drop after another -- but for the first time in over two months, she is less than certain that the bombing in Stormhome is linked with those in Fairhaven, Korth and Wroat.
    Last edited by rypt; 2015-05-21 at 04:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lets hope he can keep a secret. Shimmris thinks as they make their way back to the Shanty, slipping his ring back on as he does. In a lot of ways telling the two of them felt liberating in a way. To be so secretive for so long was... draining. The time would come to tell the others, assuming the psion didn't say anything. Eventually, when the time is right. If Joresh can't keep quiet then there will be much more explaining to do tonight. By the time they reach the dockyard he is back in the fat squires awkward form.

At Esara's comment he smiles faintly. Any sort of awkwardness or discomfort is momentarily lost as he rattles off what he has discovered "Something like that. I was... accosted... by a guard captain. The very same one who stopped us on the bridge as we made our way here earlier today. Autumn said she had tracked your man to my location in a marketplace. Given how we know those behind the bombings have a changeling with them, it wouldn't surprise me if this man from room 119 and the captain are one and the same. Or at least connected in some way" He moves to where the chalk writing is, taking in all that has been written. It's been a busy four hours for all of us it would seem.

"I've discovered two pieces of information, both equally alarming. The first is that the Thranes are in the middle of mustering their navy, led by the Red Sails, for advance strikes against Karrnath. Sercyl Ghastor, a known pirate has been granted full annesty by the Council of Cardinals, and they plan to put his naval expertise to use by appointing him as their newest admiral to lead the attacks. Kaius is reportedly building new bone barges as a response, to carry his dread marshals across the Sound. There are whispers that Flamekeep is on Karnnaths' list of targets. If anything this illustrates just how precarious a position everything is in. We stand on the edge of another war.

The second thing I've discovered is a gathering to Celebrate Queen Diani's birthday. A great party is being held in Thalingrad on the twenty-fourth. Both the Speaker, Jaela, High Cardinal Krozien and the majority of the Diet will all be there. This would serve as the target of the bomber I'd imagine. Or a suitable distraction so that he could attack somewhere else while all eyes were on Thalingrad. The outside of the palace is guarded by a platoon of warforged mercs. They're good at spotting things."

The awkwardness returns, suddenly as it left,<If we're to infiltrate Thalingrad I'll need a new face in case our dear captain is there, any suggestions? .> he thinks to Joresh
    Last edited by n0ble; 2015-05-22 at 01:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

Zombie

Autumn listens intently to what Calandras has to say - now that she knows his true nature, his ability to discover this information makes much more sense. There are certainly advantages to being able to change faces at will... She gives him an odd look as he finishes, an undefinable emotion in her eyes. It could be worrysome, except the shifter seems to have trouble not looking worrysome even when her designs are perfectly innocuous. She clears her throat.

"I haven't discovered much myself. I followed Worth's tracks out in the streets - he's been crossing the lower districts, stopping in front of at least a dozen inns, but for some reason never actually going in - except here, of course. When I tracked him further I found that he had been in the Middle District of the city, and I was about to go as far as the Upper District before I was... interrupted by a search of an open market. I had to dodge suspicion. Tomorrow I will pursue my tracking; if I may, I would like to request that any who can come with me, as if I am met with success I may find myself confronting an agent of our opponent... And I have no idea what my odds would be against him."

"As for interpreting the trail, that's harder. I have a dim suspicion that he may have been looking for one specific inn to stay in, which would be this one; and given that it's also the inn in which we are staying, and that Worth left as soon as we arrived, it would be a stretch to assume this to be a coincidence. Could he perhaps have been expecting us, perhaps using some sort of divination on each tavern he encountered unless he found the one in which we'd stay?"

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Esara

"And you...escaped?" Esara hesitates slightly, her expression seeming to ask forgiveness. She does not wish to be insensitive, but Calandras is not exactly the finest physical specimen. That he could outrun a veteran guardsman is, well, challenging to the imagination.

She turns to Autumn. "Find anything down in 119 that might have belonged to our man? Anything that Beren could use to confirm his identity as a changeling?"

As she listens to the squire describe Thrane's military plans, Esara's shoulders slump and her head falls despondently to one side. "I guess the Keeper or her cardinals thought two years was long enough. Damned zealots." She looks out the window and sighs. "If you were able to learn all this in a matter of hours, Kol Korran's wager that the Royal Eyes are aware of their plans as well. I'd have to imagine that a conflict between Aundair's neighbors would present Aurala and her brother with quite the opportunity." Silently, she wonders what such a conflict would mean for Stormhome.

"Well, nothing says 'prelude to war' quite like a birthday party," she says, rolling her eyes. "With a guest list like that, I can't imagine a more enticing target, but nor can I imagine there being a more heavily guarded area anywhere in the city." Her eyes grow distant for a moment, as though deep in thought, before refocusing above the slightest hint of a smile. "Having said that, I still might be able to get us inside." If anyone asks how, she answers, "With invitations, of course!"
    Last edited by rypt; 2015-05-22 at 09:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

At some point during all the chaos and confusion, with people running around and avoiding guards, Orlov manages to find a few quiet minutes to study the scarf, turning his gloves of object reading on them and seeking more information about this mysterious Mr. Worth.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Strategy Meeting

"The twenty-fourth, you said?" Ignatius asks Calandras. "The twenty-fourth of Nymm, why does that ring a bell...?" He squints and looks off to the side for a bit, thinking to himself, then nods. "Ah, that would be First Dawn. That can't be a coincidence."

He pauses and looks around expectantly, then realizes that this probably doesn't mean anything to anyone else present. "The First Dawn," he explains, "was the date that Thrane officially became a theocracy, roughly eighty years ago. It is one of the thirteen most sacred holy days of the Flamite calendar and is marked every year by public celebrations. If a major religious holiday and a royal birthday are to be celebrated on the same day, I'd bet my beard that our bomber would find that far too tempting an opportunity to pass up. That's practically guaranteed to be the day of the next attack." The gnome makes a note to that effect on the wall, takes a step back to look at the whole thing, then says, "It's getting late, but we've made excellent progress tonight, everyone. I'll copy this down for later--and I'll erase the evidence, Major, don't worry," he adds with a smile, directing that at Ethan. "Let's all continue thinking our plans over and we can reconvene tomorrow evening after we investigate this Mr. Worth further."

He suits actions to words, pulling out paper and writing implements and copying down all the notes, prestidigitating each note away as he goes until the wall is spotless. "I can accompany you if it would make you more comfortable," he tells Autumn when he's done, in reference to her earlier request, "though as I said, I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with you, tracking a potentially slippery fugitive through this city. I'll do my best, though; I think I'll ask Aureon for some divinations tomorrow and do what I can to assist you."

------------------------

Conversation with Joresh

Ignatius thanks Joresh for his agreement and casts his zone of truth around the room, then motions for Joresh to speak. Many points in the kalashtar's talk really resonate with Ignatius, and he finds himself absorbed in the long explanation and nodding along almost unconsciously at parts. He seems both pleased and a little worried when not a single word out of Joresh's mouth is accompanied by the telltale mental quaver in his spell indicating a lie. When the monologue concludes, he sits silently for a time, then stands and turns away, clasping his hands behind his back in contemplation.

"You know, I've always found the Silver Flame's extremist approach to morality fascinating," he begins finally. "That of its inquisitors and more extremist members, anyway; the majority of its practitioners possess more moderate beliefs, as is the case with most faiths. The inquisitors believe that a person can be almost entirely good, almost entirely altruistic, righteous, benevolent, all the positive traits you could name, and yet the slightest taint of evil within a person corrupts them irredeemably." He looks over his shoulder with a sardonic smile. "Ironic, isn't it, that a faith that worships an incarnation of supposed pure goodness and light with a hidden taint of evil at its heart would be so quick to condemn those who are generally and outwardly good with a touch of darkness in their souls?" He turns away again. "I'd guess that it comes from the high proportion of paladins in their ranks; if you can read someone's soul as easily as seeing their expression, it becomes easy to make snap judgments about what evil means and does, and resentment on the accused's part and confirmation bias on the inquisitor's will do the rest. We of the Host have comparatively few paladins in our ranks, and I prefer it that way. I'd like to sit down with you and ask you about this Path of Light's view on that and on religion in Adar in general, as I haven't come across too much information on that in my studies, but of course that will have to wait for another time.

"I mention this, because their worldview seems remarkably similar to your own situation. Your words paint a picture of one who has much good in him and who knows himself and the world. Wishing to open the eyes of those who live uncontemplated lives, holding life in the highest regard, attempting to change the world despite the seemingly hopeless odds, seeing the truth and falsehood in the teachings of every religion including your own, wishing to do the greatest good for the greatest number...these are beliefs that I share, and I believe that much of what you say would have some of my old seminarian brothers and sisters hold you in high esteem. That is the bright Flame burning in you--or, more precisely, the aspects of Boldrei, Dol Arrah, and Olladra in you, but for the purposes of this metaphor it is the Flame--and it burns brightly.

"But there is a Shadow in your Flame, so to speak."
    Ignatius finally turns to face Joresh, and his expression is one of sympathy and understanding, but not condescension. "You seek to prolong your life to extend the years in which you may do good, but are willing to take on a form that preys on the living--usually the innocent living--to do so. You are willing to abrogate the free will of millions of sapient beings, Aureon's and Kol Korran's gift to us, in order to ensure by force what could be achieved by education and empathy. You say that it is impossible to calculate the moral worth of a life, then in the same breath say that you are willing to sacrifice the one for the many, which is an honorable choice if made by the one but a morally-questionable choice at best if forced upon the one by the many--and furthermore claim that your life is more valuable due to your power, right after which you claim that you have no delusions about killing others? Can you not see the contradictions?"

Ignatius spreads his hands in a look-at-me gesture. "Putting all false modesty aside for the moment, I am a man of incredible power by the standards of most citizens of Khorvaire. I am a very high-ranking member of my church, with the friendship and loyalty of many other high-ranking members of my church; I am a member of a Dragonmarked House, with ties to dozens of family members possessing great magical, political, and financial power; I have forged strong bonds with many former members of the Cyran military, who would drop everything to help me, no questions asked, just as I would do the same for them; thanks to my position on multiple ruling councils of my faith, I have met with many political leaders and high-ranking officials, who consider me an ally if not a friend, including Prince Oargev himself; I am personally strong enough in my faith that the nine beings who inhabit and control the very world around us have invested me with their power, and my church has ordained me to be one of the few who can claim to speak for these Sovereigns. If anyone had cause to consider himself worth more than others in Khorvaire, surely I would qualify as one of them."

He lowers his hands and shakes his head. "And yet...I do not. Certainly, I contribute much more to ensuring Khorvaire's safety than does a lay member of my faith, and I have more sway with the movers and shakers than the average citizen of a given nation, but worth more? No. Never. If laying down my life will save a single soul--or lay a single soul to rest, as with the spirit we fought in the museum--then I would do so, and gladly. I would not do so lightly, of course, considering the evils that might result if I sacrifice myself frivolously, but I would not hesitate to sacrifice myself on the basis that another's life is less worthy to continue than mine.

"You are right that there is no distinction between good killing and bad killing; there is merely killing that is more or less honorable, more or less justified, more or less necessary. But if you truly care about every mortal life, you cannot claim not to care about using those means to change the world. I killed too many people in the Last War. Not 'many' by the standards of some, a handful at most, but even that loss of life is too much. Some were to advance the cause of Cyre, most were to save my life and the lives of my fellow soldiers, but I mourned for every one of them. The ends do not, and cannot, justify the means; that way lies the cold utilitarian moral calculus that I despise and that you claim to as well. The 'greater' in Greater Good is not a mathematical function, where as long as the left side of the balance sheet contains more 'Good' than the right, then all is well in the world.

"The Sovereigns we now call the Dark Six were cast out of the Host because they, too, were willing to do anything in pursuit of their goals, and took good and admirable traits too far until they became foul and despicable. The Devourer turned from the calm of the deep ocean and beauty and complexity of marine life to destructive maelstroms and merciless predators. The Fury turned from persistence, constant dedication, and passion to obsession, mindless devotion, and insanity. The Keeper turned from the pursuit of appreciating things of value and helping the less fortunate souls to coveting everything with any value and desiring to hold power over the less fortunate souls. The Mockery turned from the appreciation of tactics and efficiency to the pursuit of victory at any cost, including--and especially--one's former allies. The Shadow turned from the study of the arcane arts to the acquisition of as much dark power as he could muster. The Traveler turned from purposeful subtlety and performance to endless deception and impersonation.

"Their names were lost to them because they let their ends blind themselves to their means until their methods came to define them. To turn to a pale false life and consume the lives of others to save lives is the Mockery's path; to erase prejudice and hate and leave the people of the world mere imitations of their former selves is the Shadow's path. The best of intentions can be twisted to unseen ends by their influence, all of their influences, of which I sense hints of all six in you, and if you are willing to walk any path to reach your goals you will find yourself walking down darker and darker paths until you find yourself in a the world of utter blackness and you know not how you arrived there.

"I understand now why the inquisitors saw evil in you. I can sympathize with your motivations and can agree wholeheartedly with your aims, but the lengths to which you are willing to go to achieve them...that, I cannot condone. To listen to someone who has such a clear understanding of their psyche and their philosophy and sees fully the evil in their ways, and yet is unwilling to change, is greatly saddening to me. I can and do respect you for opening up to me and being forthright, and have now proved to my own satisfaction that I can trust you, as long as we do not find ourselves in a situation where such drastic sacrifices as you are willing to make are necessary, which would most likely be purely hypothetical for years to come..."
    Ignatius takes a deep breath before continuing, "But I'm afraid that I will never be able to agree with you, when our worldviews are so fundamentally opposed."

He offers Joresh his hand to shake, and by way of reconciliation he quips, "If you begin practicing your maniacal laughter I'll have to intervene, but until then I believe we can work together and put our philosophical differences aside. We can inform the others in the morning how our discussion went, and focus fully on our mission once more."
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

The next dawn brings with it great cloud heads, threatening Flamekeep's sunlight, and a still quivering razor-blade quality to the air. Summer is working through the heat. It's still early; plenty of time to begin your day. Downstairs, through the floorboards, you can hear voices. No doubt the first of the Shanty's patrons and suppliers have arrived with the daily catch. If you listen closely, you can hear Olyvara's telltale singsong tones welcoming them. For some of you, this day begins too brightly, the sun in your windows. For others, the darkness of the storm clouds are foreboding as anything. It's too soon to tell what the weather will be.

Several minutes after the seven of you emerge from your rooms, the familiar hostess arrives with several trays of steaming food. You can see cakes from the Aundairian heartland, and game from Thrane's wilds, as well as what looks like a local barley oatmeal and a pitcher of fresh milk. "Just got it from the men downstairs, I figured my best clients could use some breakfast." She flashes her winning - if toothless - smile at Orlov, and leaves before you get the chance to pay her.

With a meal like this, nobody could fault you for thinking all was right in the world. But the Queen's party is only two days away, and you still have no solid leads in this city except for the scent of a man that leads deeper into Flamekeep...

Orlov

As you examine the scarf and eventually use the power of the gloves for the second time, you are met with a realization. The most recent owner of the scarf - presumably James Worth - is a changeling, 26 years old, with a disturbing tendency towards amorality and disorder. He took the scarf from the body of its previous owner, another man in his late twenties who had bought the scarf from a merchant. The likelihood of Worth being your trigger man has just become incredibly high, to the point of it being a fact. You have found your suspect, and given what you heard from Autumn and Calandras, it's likely that he has also found at least a few members of your group.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-05-24 at 08:33 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #291

Zombie

Though Autumn is openly grateful for the meal and thanks the hostess before gulping down a little more than her fair share of oatmeal and milk, she frowns once the door is closed. "Someone should run a check on the hostess, I think. Too friendly," she says as she puts down her bowl. She shakes her hair and hops to her feet, stretching for a few minutes. Finally, she puts on her coat and takes out the tiger mask, her face grim and resolute.

"All right. I'm going to the upper city. Anyone who wants to come with me is welcome. I'll slow down for you if I need to - I'm not confident going into this alone."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The meal doesnt sit particularly well with Shimmris. It could be the apprehension he faces at conducting another mission into the city. Or it could just be that he's still not entirely comfortable with the idea of Autumn and Joresh knowing who he really is. Inevitably, the fear he feels about being outed wins out over any misgivings he might have about the captain finding him again. She did promise. Even so, can't be too careful..."I shall accompany you, I didn't get to see nearly as much of the city as I wanted to yesterday. You mentioned that you tracked him to several inns, which ones were they? I can make enquiries at them about anyone who looked like they were from out of town. The market might be a good place to start..."
    Last edited by n0ble; 2015-05-24 at 09:04 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Orlov is quick to share his knowledge with the others. "Our mister Worth is almost certainly who we want. He's a changeling, male, and seems to be the perfect bomb-throwing anarchist. Can any of you perform scrying rituals? If he's smart, he's protected himself against them, but we would be derelict in our duty not to try. Since we know who we're looking for, we should try to grab him now, before he strikes, and rely on our plans to protect the party only as a fallback." He nods to Autumn. "Keep that mask handy. He might not have thought to cloak his smell, and we might use that to find him even if he disguises himself. I'm not without a few tricks in that area myself."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Esara

Changeling? Check. Male? Check. Lawless and amoral? Check and check. "Let me guess -- he's 26 years old?" She waits for the artificers's confirmation before laughing a humorless laugh. "Unbelievable... Without a doubt, this is our trigger man. He's a perfect match to the final owner of the vest we recovered in Wroat. Seems an almost impossible coincidence that we would all end up at the same inn."

When Beren inquires about the possibility of a scrying, the Lyrandar shakes her head. "Can't help ya there. Not without a full day of study at the very least." As a storm sentry, Esara is accustomed to her enemies coming to her. A lot less ground to cover in an airship than in one of Khorvaire's most populous cities.

When Autumn stands to leave, so too does Esara. "I missed all the fun last night," she smiles. "I don't plan to miss it today."
    Last edited by rypt; 2015-05-25 at 02:59 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Ethan

Going to bed in a foul mood, Ethan awakens much refreshed and ready to do anything. When the changeling James Worth, or whoever he really is, is revealed to be their target, Ethan smiles, his mood improving considerably.

"Finally, something to get at that isn't a bunch of smoke and conjecture. Count me in on this hunt. If he tries getting away I'll give him a limp and a blood trail for us to follow if miss Autumn gets tired of the smells of the city." He holds up a hand to forestall any protest, "Don't worry, I know my business well enough not to kill the bastard. At least, not until we have had the chance to have a nice long conversation with him." He looks over at Cal at this last remark, but quickly looks to readying himself by eating and checking the extra dimensional pocket in his crossbow to make sure it is ready to fire at a moments notice.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

When he finishes his morning prayers, Ignatius quietly makes the rounds to the others and gives them the short version of his talk with Joresh--that his concerns about the kalashtar's trustworthiness have been put to rest and that the questions raised by the inquisitors' statement are now behind them. He's not really one for dramatic announcements to start with, and making one in this case would give the impression that his concerns (and their subsequent resolution) were a much greater issue than they actually were.

He waits to hear the others' plans for the day to determine whether he should join Autumn's hunt, and upon hearing that basically everyone has decided to join her, he decides to do the same. "I suppose that makes all of us," he says as he buckles on his sword belt. "No sense in splitting up when we don't have any other leads to pursue at the moment. Unfortunately I have no actual training in scrying, an oversight I should probably rectify soon if we have some time for that, but I have prepared some other divinations to be used once we get closer to our target."
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

27. - Top - End - #297

Zombie

The shifter nods seriously.

"Thank you all. Hopefully we can, if not solve this situation, at least learn more about who it is we're fighting. Knowing that Worth is a changeling will be helpful; I have..." She pauses, and refrains herself just in time from looking at a certain someone, "discovered in the past that a changeling's ability to disguise does not mask their scent; unless he took special precautions, we might be able to approach him while he is not aware that he has been identified. And now..."

Autumn sighs, and raises the mask to her head; the wood flexes slightly, the grin widening, and the eyes take on the aspect of life; without further ado she turns and, and leaves for the market, where she will pick up the trail again.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Joresh stood quietly as Ignatius began to speak, extending to him the same courtesy that Ignatius offered him. When Ignatius is finished, Joresh considers responding to what he said. There were a few places where he thought Ignatius had misrepresented him, and he was tempted to deconstruct several of the moral viewpoints that Ignatius had asserted. There was not much to be gained from doing so, the important thing was that Ignatius was willing to work with him. Joresh suspects that the two of them would be more then capable of spending the whole night discussing the merits of their respective viewpoints. They needed to be well rested for tomorrow, so Joresh opted to end the conversation instead.

Kalashtar were tall even by human standards, so Joresh sat down so that the two of them were at eye level. He accepted Ignatius's handshake Duly noted he says dryly. I hope I never have to betray his trust

~~~~

Joresh listens as the group prepares to move out.

Now, can we deal with this?. Joresh waves his branded hand.
    This is a liability, anywhere I go people are going to take notice. Joresh looks at Ignatius.
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2015-05-25 at 08:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm definitely in for finding mister Worth. He was asking about us - think we can use that to lure him in? We could make ourselves look vulnerable and try to goad him into making a move."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

As each of you follow the shifter's nose, you begin to truly feel the cracks in the visage of Flamekeep. It's almost imperceptible at first. The slouching of the shoulders in those walking across from you, their eyes shifting every which way. The vendors are meaner, harsher. Nobody meets your gaze.

By the time you pass through the same market, you can see that many of the stalls and stores have been shut down. There is a heavy guard presence on here, liberally stopping passers-by for their identification and to ask them questions. Those of you close enough can hear them asking questions about a rotund man, and the more snippets you overhear, the more certain you are that they are asking about Calandras. Thankfully, you manage to pass the lines and crowds without too much difficulty. Autumn picks up the scent - what seems like Worth, but stronger somehow - heading up past Middle Flamekeep and into the highest levels of the city itself. After a few blocks, the changeling's becomes increasingly clear: you can make out the battlements of Thalingard just around the corner. Many of the party decorations are already in place, streamers and banners all around the grounds in preparation for the grand celebration. But when you get closer, you can see that not all of the measures here are ornamental.

A low gilded fence is being put in place while a small battalion of knights and warforged stand by. At their head is one of the captains of the guard... who you immediately recognize as the man on the bridge. Tall, dark, and handsome, he is the epitome of a man in uniform, straight from his iron jaw to his perfectly trimmed haircut and steely eyes. He looks like something out of a storybook. Even his armor positively gleams in the morning light. As you watch, a squire pulls up a magnificent destrier and he slides up into the saddle. The horse lets out a low, pleasant whinny as it is no doubt reunited with its master. He makes a few sweeps of the immediate streets for threats, and tells his men to be on alert.

However, the shifter notices that Worth's smell has turned. It heads away from the palace, back towards the market, and as you follow it, you eventually find yourselves moving in a wide circle through Flamekeep's mid-tier streets. The grand Cathedral of the Silver Flame is a beacon, the central point in the turning of the clock and you are about to strike midnight at due north. The trail of the changeling continues, even as you approach the northernmost edges of the city. The bridge is near, and you can see Thrane's hilly country beyond. Although it doesn't make much sense, the evidence of Autumn's nose is quite clear.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 18
    Show
    The captain in question is none other than Malik Otherro himself, one of the famed Knights of Thrane. He took on his vows at the age of fourteen, and has rarely, if ever strayed from his faith. One of Flamekeep's more famous paladins, he is known for his piety and skill with a blade. In particular, Captain Otherro took an oath to defend the royal family and the citizens of Thrane. As Shadukar burned, he led a large force of knights into the ruins to locate survivors and dispatch the Karrnathi looters. When Thrane’s populace vilified Diani for failing to prevent the catastrophe, Captain Otherro stood by her side. Court insiders suspect that the handsome paladin’s unswerving loyalty hides some behind-the-scenes romance, although those rumors are largely unsubstantiated.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 20
    Show
    The lands north of Flamekeep are fairly uninhabited. The road to Daskaran is the only major feature around the lands, besides the various fortresses that dot the land. As one nears the border to Aundair, one finds more and more Thranish fortifications. Some, like Auxylgard and Silvercliff Castle, remain intact, but quite a few lie forgotten. There is one fortress in particular - the Monastery of the Unyielding Shield - that is nearby. It was known as the foremost bastion of the Sovereign Host near Flamekeep, not twenty miles up the road. It would take nearly 6.5 hours to walk there, and if you want to find out more about any of the sites, Knowledge (Religion) and/or Knowledge (History) checks would be appropriate.

Show
    I just assumed you were all going after Worth, given the way the posts are headed. I think I've telegraphed the obvious encounter coming up? I want to get things moving, and this seemed the best way.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-05-25 at 09:05 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.