New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1384
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG XIV: To Heir is Human - To Faith 10, Divine

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    This was a tech that happened last round; but doesn't look like it was commented upon. As Drac and I talked about this tech before it was created, I certainly don't have a problem with it. Based on lack of comments, is this tech all right?
    I don't mind it. It's a little silly, because underwater is much more limited than land anyway, but I'm fine with it.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    This was a tech that happened last round; but doesn't look like it was commented upon. As Drac and I talked about this tech before it was created, I certainly don't have a problem with it. Based on lack of comments, is this tech all right?
    It seems to make sense, but there should be a caveat about moving through non-aquatic regions territorial waters. It should not apply there. So no moving through canals, or the straights of Shengdi or that other one between Selyra and Maos. Also, if tactical maneuvering pulls them into territoral waters, it should count as an extra region.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    It seems to make sense, but there should be a caveat about moving through non-aquatic regions territorial waters. It should not apply there. So no moving through canals, or the straights of Shengdi or that other one between Selyra and Maos. Also, if tactical maneuvering pulls them into territoral waters, it should count as an extra region.
    Straight of Ethelos, which separates the Lyrian Sea from the Dappled Sea.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    I'm uncertain about the tactical maneuvering; not because I object to your caveat, but because I have not had experience with the topic, so am uncertain whether or not that is adding complexity where none is needed.

I've created an image based on how I personally understand the tech.

Spoiler
    Show

IMO, it works in all purely aquatic regions with no difficulties (other then permission from the region owner). It works in island based territories and coastal territories (such as "A" and "B") only with permission from region owners (ie, blockades work as normal). The Red "X" are areas that it doesn't work (ie, land based regions and yes, canals). Murgen [and others] is that what you are thinking?
    Last edited by Gengy; 2015-07-16 at 06:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

5. - Top - End - #995
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dawn to Dusk thread is up. Only invitees can post but any can read. Hoping to give it some more TLC after this week ends but thought I should get it up for people.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

I heard something about new rules changes to ruler scores in Skype. Was that spitballing, or something that actually happened?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I heard something about new rules changes to ruler scores in Skype. Was that spitballing, or something that actually happened?
    I suspect that may have referred to the changes for the Tellurian Games this round, which have changed slightly. The vast majority of players are unaffected, though, and their Games bonuses will remain the same. As far as I'm aware there are no changes to ruler scores planned in the near future. I'm not in the main Empire Skype chat though so I don't know what has been suggested there.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you might be catching us spitballing for Space Empire, which probably won't happen until after the Future Telluris Empire QB has planned.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I suspect that may have referred to the changes for the Tellurian Games this round, which have changed slightly. The vast majority of players are unaffected, though, and their Games bonuses will remain the same. As far as I'm aware there are no changes to ruler scores planned in the near future. I'm not in the main Empire Skype chat though so I don't know what has been suggested there.
    Aha. I was in a slight panic, as I just got to 10/10/10 this round (ignoring Faith, as Celero does) and I was hoping my gains hadn't been effectively nullfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    I think you might be catching us spitballing for Space Empire, which probably won't happen until after the Future Telluris Empire QB has planned.
    I was only barely following the Skype, as I had been offline of it for a while, and was skimming it to catch up.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Troll in the Playground

Aha. I was in a slight panic, as I just got to 10/10/10 this round (ignoring Faith, as Celero does) and I was hoping my gains hadn't been effectively nullfied.

I was only barely following the Skype, as I had been offline of it for a while, and was skimming it to catch up.
    You needn't worry about what's discussed in the Skype chat. I'm not a member of it and I am the one who ultimately will be making any decisions related to rules or the future of the game.

I think this does exemplify one of the issues that I had/have with the Skype chat that OOC discussion of the game takes place there where those not part of it miss things and the forum and game suffers for it. I would encourage people to move away from the rapid back and forth of the massive Skype chat and into thoughtful discussions relating to the game here in the OOC.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    I think this does exemplify one of the issues that I had/have with the Skype chat that OOC discussion of the game takes place there where those not part of it miss things and the forum and game suffers for it. I would encourage people to move away from the rapid back and forth of the massive Skype chat and into thoughtful discussions relating to the game here in the OOC.
    I mean, I take your point, but in this instance the conversation was explicitly not about this game, so I don't think any harm was done.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkdm View Post
    i think you might be catching us spitballing for space empire, which probably won't happen until after the future telluris empire qb has planned.

i think you might be catching us spitballing for space empire

space empire
    this is relevant
    to my interests o_o
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

You needn't worry about what's discussed in the Skype chat. I'm not a member of it and I am the one who ultimately will be making any decisions related to rules or the future of the game.

I don't feel it was anything too terribly negative. There was a statement I only had time to skim, and I asked for clarification. I feel it was no more than a friendly "check the rules changes" which could have come from anyone, about anything. It just so happened the rules changes being referenced were for the Telluran games, not Empire itself.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Troll in the Playground

It wasn't specific to that point necessarily, it was simply a segue into a general statement about the Skype thread.

There will be no space empire in the foreseeable future due to wanting to make the rules more streamlined in the context of what we've done so far before upending the implied basis of the game's setting and revised rules in development.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ogre in the Playground

It wasn't specific to that point necessarily, it was simply a segue into a general statement about the Skype thread.

There will be no space empire in the foreseeable future due to wanting to make the rules more streamlined in the context of what we've done so far before upending the implied basis of the game's setting and revised rules in development.
    Speaking of which, I really need to spitball with you on Empire 2... When we both happen to be on Skype, methinks.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

Apropos of Nothing, I continue to be very busy for the next couple of weeks. (Good busy!) Apologies if this is interfering with any RP or plans other than my own. Please feel free to PM me if something pressing is occurring that you feel needs my attention.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yo all,

I'm back from vacation and thus avialable for any Prowess related matters one might have. I'll post in the Telluris thread and the shadowy stuff thread hopefully today.

Cheerio,

Way
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Philote View Post
    That is neat, can you do Caramel?
    To be honest, I stopped when I did for two reasons: firstly that as in real life it is unlikely that every country would have its own specific deck unless they all appeared autochthonously (which is unlikely) and hence traced things via some of the bigger or (in game terms) older trading countries that were most likely to have spread their cultural influence around. The second reason is that I largely ran out of inspiration, or at least didn't want to push it too far. So feel free to add to things yourself, as Murgen and Morph have above,

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    Darn straight. We don't want none of them Salterri likin' us!
    Given Guilder's behaviour over the years, that has become apparent

People may be aware I've always been a Skype sceptic, at least as far as the large Empire chat went. I left it for vague and complicated reasons which were only partly to do with the content of the chat itself and have been considering rejoining in the last few days, but I feel it works far better as a social club than as a venue for game discussion, and it's the non-Empire social side of things I miss, for the most part.

My main concerns with it from a gamey perspective are twofold: firstly that it creates a two-tier OOC environment between people who are members of the Skype chat and those who aren't. While the Skype chat is open to everyone in theory, not everyone has the time or indeed the software to spend much time on it, and while not all players read the OOC thread either, the thread is at least automatically accessible to anyone playing the game if they feel the need to check out what's going on or investigate the context for a rumour. I think at times there has also been a tendency for important news to spread on the Skype thread and have some players left out of the loop altogether (it took a long time for the Kazul to become common knowledge here, for instance, while they've been common knowledge there for months).

Secondly is when it comes to the impermanence of the record. While few people do go trawling through the old OOC threads they are all available and searchable via the forum so if some discussion of something actually interesting comes up it remains here in perpetuity and is relatively easy to find. On Skype things get buried very quickly and I'm sure there have been things discussed on there that would be of interest to the game at large (along the lines of, say, the card decks above, or previous discussions on funerary practices or music) which unless someone has the presence of mind to copy over at the time either here or to the wiki, effectively gets lost forever.

On a purely personal note (and one of the reasons I left) I started to find the immediacy of it rather stressful too: not so much in general social chat but if someone would see me active in the group and bring up a ruling query or indeed even a question as to why I was taking certain IC actions, etc. There were times when I found the apparent expectation of a timely response quite difficult to deal with, especially in situations where I was taken as a voice of authority in an area where actually it wasn't my decision (I have final say over very little in this game!). That's not something anyone should feel guilty about as it's my problem more than anyone else's, but it does kind of underline the general gist which is that in many respects I think it's better for things like that to be dealt with here rather than on the Skype chat. Of course now I'm not in it it's not really a problem for me but it is something worth bearing in mind for the future I think (and also one of the worries that stops me rejoining).
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Some of the first known card decks were produced in Bordeux, from where they spread to Ashenia, Crima and the Sulvan Primarchy. The Bordeusi set however failed to spread extensively beyond the borders of the UN, as the national character of Ashenia, the region's main centre for printing the cards, prevented the gambling with which the cards were generally associated from becoming popular.
    Gambling is a thing in Ashenia, they just prefer to bet on horse races and tile games, not cards (they're too easily marked). Even so, card decks are still pretty popular to own, especially if they're really nice ones.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

20. - Top - End - #1010

Quote Originally Posted by Alot of people
    Skype-Stuff
    I personally haven't got too much of a problem with Skype, as I tend to discuss important stuff mostly 1 on 1 with somebody to discuss it with, through text or verbally. It makes it easier to retrieve and/or recall, that at least is my experience. However, I can understand the issues people have with the Skype chat (It is rather inactive of late though). We can't just delete it though, if people find it fun to use. But, at the least, if people have new ideas pertaining directly to EMPIRE's mechanics/progression (Techs, Rulechanges, and so on), they should at least post it here at the same time as posting it on Skype.

Which brings me to my next point:

Quinton told me the Titans make more sense as a F10 then a C10, so I'm brainstorming about a different capstone to my Spirit Tech tree. I came up with the following 3 concepts and would like to have some good ol' community imput on them. I know, lets put a voting system in. Please award them 1 to 3 points based on what would fit the Techtree best / has the best rule of cool. I'll come up with relevant mechanics later on, so balance-wise, nothing is decided yet. If you don't have time or like to rate, that's fine too . These are the ideas I had:

• 1. Resonance Knights: Instead of binding a Soul to only 1 item, it is instead bound to both a weapon and an armor. When donned, it partly binds to it's wielder, creating a symbiotic bond between the two. (For those who know of it, this is based on the anime/manga Soul Eater) (Base Techs: Spirit Channeling, Special Metal)
    • 2. Wrathstrom Cannon: Based on cannon tech, solar towers tech and spiritchanneling, this tech is basically an energy cannon that is mounted on a large vessel (The Marius Pride in my case). The inside of the cannon is laced with magical Gossamer, Tanedhan feathers and other supernatural materials. Flames of the Cataclysm are inserted in the end of the barrel. Using Spirit Channeling, the latent power of the souls inside the Flames is unleashed and subsequently focused by the mirrors. When build up enough, it's shot out of the cannon in a ray-like projectile. The laser only destroys the the connection between body and soul when it hits something living. In other words it will kill any living thing it manages to hit, but leaves any non-living object perfectly intact. (Base Techs: Cannons, Solar Tower, Spirit Channeling, Ancient Alchemy)
    • 3. Nexus Dreadnaught: Also a tech which uses the Marius Pride, this instead temporarily binds the souls of Huroshan soldiers to a central Nexus on the ship, creating a sort of hivemind and perserving the soul of the soldiers inside the nexus if they die in the battle. Note that this may or may not result in actual troops being preserved. (Base Techs: Spirit Channeling, Mind Conference)

If none of these strikes your fancy or you have another idea, feel free to crack down on these and suggest your own.

I don't really have an exact preference for any of these, so that's why I posted this :P.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2015-07-20 at 07:26 AM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ogre in the Playground

I like 'Nexus Dreadnaught' the most out of the three. Fluffing a base of operations sounds really good and it reminds me a little of Cylons on Battlestar Galactica.
    Spoiler: STORY SPOILER!
    Show
    You know, how there's the Cylon ship where spare Cylons are stored so that when one dies their data is uploaded into the new one so they're good to go.

It seems awesome, though how would the preservation mechanic work? Would there be pristine bodies there for them? Maybe golems? Do they end up sharing a body with someone else? Do they end up possessing the base?

'Resonance Knights' are cool, though it interests me a little less as a concept.

I don't like guns, so like cannons least. EDIT - And due to this anything I say is likely to be biased. I don't really have much experience with them in games roleplaying or otherwise, so no help there.
    They seem fluff-wise the most straightforward in my eyes which isn't a bad thing but interests me the least.
    I think it'll potentially have the most trade offers, as I hear some people really like their death lasers.
    /looks sideways at Elemental
    /also Kitsanth
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2015-07-20 at 07:00 AM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

22. - Top - End - #1012

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    I like 'Nexus Dreadnaught' the most out of the three. Fluffing a base of operations sounds really good and it reminds me a little of Cylons on Battlestar Galactica.
    Spoiler: STORY SPOILER!
    Show
    You know, how there's the Cylon ship where spare Cylons are stored so that when one dies their data is uploaded into the new one so they're good to go.

It seems awesome, though how would the preservation mechanic work? Would there be pristine bodies there for them? Maybe golems? Do they end up sharing a body with someone else? Do they end up possessing the base?

'Resonance Knights' are cool, though it interests me a little less as a concept.

I don't like guns, so like cannons least. They're also fluff-wise the most straightforward in my eyes which isn't a bad thing but interests me the least.
    I think it'll potentially have the most trade offers, as I hear some people really like their death lasers.
    /also Kitsanth
    Maybe a small percentage of the troops killed in battle return as Spectral Units? I need to talk with Quinton about what is possible. It would also be a fun plothook for EMPIRE II, when the wreckage or something of the Pride is found and a ghost army steps out to defend it.
    As for trade offers, the sheer amount of resources and techs involved makes trading any of these fairly difficult.

Tech Vote Points
    Resonance Knights 2
    Wrathstrom Cannon 1
    Nexus Dreadnaught 3
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2015-07-20 at 05:00 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

23. - Top - End - #1013

As I just heard from people on Skype, there are some who are worried to the scope of my proposed ideas. Please note that the scale can be lessened (A massive laser/ray can be make a "decently sized" laser/ray, for example). It's the concept that I would like to have feedback on.

Edit: Edited tech descriptions, removed words related to power or size of the relevant techs.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2015-07-20 at 07:27 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    as I hear some people really like their death lasers.
    /also Kitsanth
    Lasers? Me? Never, such talk is clearly slanderous.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I believe when looking at a southern region, all you need to do is flip a coin. On heads - it belongs to the Salterri Imperium. On tails - it will SOON belong to the Imperium.

31 regions...sheesh.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ogre in the Playground

So any comments on the territory update I posted? So awesome I should retroactively get into the game 3 turns ago and just take all those actions now?

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mabn View Post
    So any comments on the territory update I posted? So awesome I should retroactively get into the game 3 turns ago and just take all those actions now?
    Well, no one gets retroactive actions (so far, at least.) However, new players do get 5 bonus actions to begin the game with, to show that they had an established nation prior to their discovery.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mabn View Post
    I read through it and had no particular issues. Essentially, there was a period of upheaval and some new folks took over.

edit- if you do post actions this round, please include a 2D6+Faith roll to resist the minority of Kina attempt in Alydaxis. It is not an action to make a resistance roll, but you should note it in your posts. Alternatively (and in an effort to be transparent), I rolled <10 which is the normal default roll, so you don't really have to make your own roll and let the 10 stand as your roll.
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2015-07-20 at 02:31 PM.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    1. Resonance Knights: Instead of binding a Soul to only 1 item, it is instead bound to both a weapon and an armor. When donned, it partly binds to it's wielder, creating a symbiotic bond between the two. (For those who know of it, this is based on the anime/manga Soul Eater) (Base Techs: Spirit Channeling, Special Metal)
    If you want to go for style points, throw in some Garb into your Resonance Knights tech.
    The Caramel Kingdom! Empire 1!

High Order of the Pran-El! Empire 2!

Superpower List + Forum

Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

Correction: penultimately.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    *Crazy ideas*
    I like 1, 3 is alright, 2 I'm not a fan of.

Mabn have you been in contact with Lord_Burch?

Spoiler
    Show