New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Simple Q&A by RAW for Pathfinder 4

Q 167

Is there any place where I can check which templates affect a creature's type? Specifically, which turn them undead.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A166 Magical Knack does nothing for Alchemists (and Investigators). Neither is classified as a "caster" and therefore does not have a "caster" level.
    Also, Bombs are not dependent on Caster level anyway, so even if they were casters it wouldn't work.

As for anything to boost Bombs...I'm not aware of anything.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

3. - Top - End - #333
    Spamalot in the Playground

A166: While Magical Knack won't affect bombs, your GM could rule that it affects extracts:

The alchemist uses his level as the caster level to determine any effect based on caster level.
    "any effect" is sufficiently broad that your GM could treat it as an effective caster level for most purposes.

A167: Clever google searching of the d20pfsrd site may help you compile such a list. use the "site:d20pfsrd.com" switch along with trying out a variety of search terms like +template +undead.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #334
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q168 when using a double weapon how does one add their strength modifier for each attack?

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A168
    "Double Weapons: A character can fight with both ends of a double weapon as if fighting with two weapons, but he incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. The character can also choose to use a double weapon two-handed, attacking with only one end of it."

You choose which end is the "main hand" and which is the "off-hand".
    "Main End" gets +STR, "Off-End" gets +1/2 STR
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Q 169
    Is there a feat that allows you to spread the effect of weapon-specific feats to those in the same group?

I could have sworn somewhere there was a combination of Feral Combat Training+ some other feat that, taken together, applied the benefits of Feral Unarmed Combat to all natural weapons (in turn, allowing all effects that augment UAS to augment all your natural weapons).

7. - Top - End - #337

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Q 169
    Is there a feat that allows you to spread the effect of weapon-specific feats to those in the same group?

I could have sworn somewhere there was a combination of Feral Combat Training+ some other feat that, taken together, applied the benefits of Feral Unarmed Combat to all natural weapons (in turn, allowing all effects that augment UAS to augment all your natural weapons).
    A169: You're looking for Martial Versatility and Martial Mastery.

8. - Top - End - #338

A169 addendum: Note that it isn't quite all effects anymore. Specific effects are capable of overriding these feats and only working with unarmed strikes, e.g. post-errata Pummeling Style.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

QI70. what happens if you have a touch spell charged and you make a maneuver; e.g. you have chill touch active and you make a grab?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q171: This is a stupid question that's been asked a thousand times, I'm sure, but can monks use bracers of armor without penalty?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

11. - Top - End - #341

A170: The touch spell will discharge, taking effect on whoever you touched. This includes if you grab an ally.

A171: Monks can wear this with no problems, as can arcane spellcasters.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #342

A172: Higher ground gives a +1 bonus to melee attack rolls.

EDIT: Vanishing question! Sorcery! Sorcery!
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-08-05 at 11:49 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A172: Higher ground gives a +1 bonus to melee attack rolls.

EDIT: Vanishing question! Sorcery! Sorcery!
    Yeah, I finally found my answer in the SRD ("higher ground" rather than "high ground") so I thought I'd spare the thread from incrementing the question count. Didn't work.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

14. - Top - End - #344

PaladinGuy

Q173 (or 172, if the last one doesn't count anymore ): If you apply an acquired template to a creature, does it lose its original racial traits? If this depends on the nature of a given template, how can I tell? (I realize this probably has an obvious answer, but I can't find it directly addressed anywhere and I feel it's prudent to ask.)
    Last edited by Totema; 2015-08-05 at 03:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345

A173: It does depend on the template, as well as what those racial traits are. Templates that change these will do so by changing your creature type, or say you lose special attacks/qualities of the base creature or similar language. The ones that don't will only add things to you rather than taking anything away.

For example, the Skeleton template will remove many racial traits. However, if one of your racial traits was a pair of claws (e.g. you're a lizardfolk), the skeleton will keep those. So you have to basically compare the template to the racial traits and make the determination that way. Was there a specific combination/conversion you had in mind?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #346

PaladinGuy

A173: Was there a specific combination/conversion you had in mind?
    I was considering applying the vampire template to an elf NPC in one of my games. My confusion arose when I noticed that the creature's type changes to undead in this circumstance.

Based on your answer, my understanding would now be that, despite the NPC changing to a different type, any racial traits that aren't explicitly overwritten by the new template would remain as they are. Is that correct?
    Last edited by Totema; 2015-08-05 at 04:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

A170: The touch spell will discharge, taking effect on whoever you touched. This includes if you grab an ally.
    QI74 Ok. And if I'm a Magus holding a touch spell (who after all can cast that through his weapon) and I use my weapon to trip someone?

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Totema View Post
    I was considering applying the vampire template to an elf NPC in one of my games. My confusion arose when I noticed that the creature's type changes to undead in this circumstance.
    Vampires only gain special attacks and special qualities rather than losing any, and all elven racial traits fall under the latter. (Of course, some elf racials will become irrelevant for undead, e.g. sleep immunity.)

Quote Originally Posted by Totema View Post
    Based on your answer, my understanding would now be that, despite the NPC changing to a different type, any racial traits that aren't explicitly overwritten by the new template would remain as they are. Is that correct?
    Yes. As an example, there is a Vishkanya vampire in Monster Codex that still retains the Viskanya's low-light vision and ability to spit poison onto its weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    QI74 Ok. And if I'm a Magus holding a touch spell (who after all can cast that through his weapon) and I use my weapon to trip someone?
    A174: You can only deliver spells through manufactured weapons via your Spellstrike ability, which is voluntary. You will never inadvertently do this.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-08-05 at 05:19 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #349

Q175
    Is the core Monk still completely rules legal or has unchained or errata overridden it or parts of it at least? Bad will saves, aren't a fan.

20. - Top - End - #350

A175: Both the unchained and non-unchained classes still exist. In fact, the most recent book, Occult Adventures, only contained an archetype for the "chained" monk (i.e. the old one.)

I would encourage you to reconsider though as the unchained monk is pretty awesome, even with that drawback. (Personally I would have preferred, if they absolutely had to nerf one save, that it be fort instead, and let the unchained monk keep its various immunities with the ability to obtain more i.e. negative energy, fatigue and the like.)

Note: in PFS, only the unchained summoner is legal.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-08-05 at 05:49 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #351

Q176 follow up, ate all past monk and barbarian archtypes legal with the unchained versions?

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

A174: You can only deliver spells through manufactured weapons via your Spellstrike ability, which is voluntary. You will never inadvertently do this.
    What if I want to deliver the touch spell via a trip attack? Is this possible or does some rule prevent it?

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A176 I do believe all "old" archetypes are legal with the Unchained classes, with the exception of Monk.
    Unchained Monk can NOT use old-Monk archetypes.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

24. - Top - End - #354

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    A176 I do believe all "old" archetypes are legal with the Unchained classes, with the exception of Monk.
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    What if I want to deliver the touch spell via a trip attack? Is this possible or does some rule prevent it?
    Sure - just do the following:

1) Spellstrike as normal. This gives you a free melee attack with your weapon in place of the free touch attack to deliver the touch spell.
    2) In place of the free attack from (1), perform a trip attempt.
    3) Trip attempts = CMB checks, and CMB checks = attacks. Therefore, the "if your attack is successful" clause of Spellstrike will still trigger.
    4) Target gets tripped and suffers the effects of the spell. (They won't take damage from your weapon however, just the spell.)

You can also do this on a non-magus by simply tripping with a natural weapon or unarmed strike; making contact with a non-manufactured weapon will discharge the spell.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #355

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    A176a: Archetypes are only legal if they replace class features that the unchained version of the class also possesses (I'm not aware of any example where this is an issue, but may be relevant).

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by Firest Kathon View Post
    A176a: Archetypes are only legal if they replace class features that the unchained version of the class also possesses (I'm not aware of any example where this is an issue, but may be relevant).
    It's not - all the unchained classes have everything that the old class did and then some, with monk again being the only exception. (The unchained monk was altered too fundamentally for many of the old archetypes to work.)

The unchained rogue did lose trap sense in favor of an ability called danger sense - but danger sense explicitly says it can be replaced and advanced by all the things that replaced and advanced trap sense instead, so you're golden.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #357
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q177:
    Is it still the case that stacked fear sums the level and applies it for the longer duration? (e.g. if a monster is shaken for 1 minute and then is affected by a different effect that frightens it for a round, it ends up panicked for a minute.)

28. - Top - End - #358
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q178:
    As a Soulknife, if you use the Emulate Melee Weapon blade skill to form your mindblade into a double weapon, is it treated as forming two weapons (i.e., reducing your enhancement bonus and/or benefiting from Additional Configuration's separate off-hand enhancement), or as forming a single weapon?
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show
    The Sphere Tactician, a Tactician archetype for Spheres of Power.
    The Bullet Witch, a Gunslinger archetype also for Spheres of Power

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Q179: Could a level 3 Thug rogue forego 1d6 sneak attack damage to sicken his target, then forego the rest of the sneak attack damage to use Sneaky Maneuver?

30. - Top - End - #360
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q180

When building an animated objeCT must one pay for CP one does not spend? As in the case Of an object with no CP abilities