New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4294445464748495051525354
Results 1,591 to 1,608 of 1608
  1. - Top - End - #1591
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Simple Q&A by RAW for Pathfinder 4

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The problem here is that the spell doesn't say "supernatural darkness." Perhaps it meant to, but it doesn't, and so by RAW darkvision will penetrate it.
    It's from Blood of Shadows, which in four other instances uses "magical darkness" as a clear synonym of "supernatural darkness," including distinguishing it as a more severe status than just "darkness." I wish they'd be more consistent with their editing, but it's pretty clear that magical darkness (in these instances) = supernatural darkness and shuts down darkvision.
    Last edited by Slithery D; 2016-11-03 at 02:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1592
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slithery D View Post
    It's from Blood of Shadows, which in four other instances uses "magical darkness" as a clear synonym of "supernatural darkness," including distinguishing it as a more severe status than just "darkness." I wish they'd be more consistent with their editing, but it's pretty clear that magical darkness (in these instances) = supernatural darkness and shuts down darkvision.
    Indeed, and that's how I'd rule it. Just pointing out that they screwed up a bit here, and that PF darkvision defeats magical darkness normally (in case anyone read that splat and got confused about the base rules.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #1593
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A424: It says "up to" 36. This means that if you have less than 36, it will create a lesser amount of food such that each person has enough for that day. You can't, for instance, have one person use the cauldron once for a month's supply of food.
    That doesn't address my question. If you wanted to say it only works once a day, please just state so directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #1594

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    That doesn't address my question. If you wanted to say it only works once a day, please just state so directly.
    ...What? This attitude really isn't necessary I thought you were asking if there was a way to get more than a day's benefit from it.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #1595
    Titan in the Playground

Q425 Is there something that gives a bonus to melee damage if the damage is not a damage roll (i.e. static damage)?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #1596
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

...What? This attitude really isn't necessary I thought you were asking if there was a way to get more than a day's benefit from it.
    I'm trying to figure out if it caps at 36 people fed in one day's use or if it's 36 people maximum that can be fed per use but you can use it as many times as you like in a day.

It has both "per day" and "on command" in there, and I honestly couldn't tell which was supposed to take precedence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #1597
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 427: Say I'm building a character with the Two Weapon Fighting feat, dual wielding hand crossbows, revolvers or other one handed fire arms, or any other one handed ranged weapon (throwing weapons etc). Without noting the obvious problem of reloading without a free hand, is the weapon in the off hand considered light or one-handed for the purposes of calculating attack modifiers? Does it vary depending on the specific weapon? Does TWF even apply to ranged weapons?
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2016-11-04 at 11:59 AM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

8. - Top - End - #1598

A425: The terms are generally used interchangeably even if you're not physically rolling dice. I can't find any other instances of anyone interpreting this differently though so I don't have anything more concrete for you.

A426: They count as 1H unless something specifically says they only take light penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm trying to figure out if it caps at 36 people fed in one day's use or if it's 36 people maximum that can be fed per use but you can use it as many times as you like in a day.

It has both "per day" and "on command" in there, and I honestly couldn't tell which was supposed to take precedence.
    It is once per day (or per week for the magical feast usage.) The "on command" refers to the method of activating it, not the frequency.

There are a number of other items that use "on command once per day" style wording, e.g. Mwangi Spirit Shield, Dawnflower Sash, Scepter of Heaven, Titantic Armor, etc.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #1599
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Apologies for the impatience, but I'll just go ahead and bump this to the next page to avoid getting missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geigan View Post
    Q422: How does the Diving Thunderbolt Stance (PoW:E, Piercing Thunder Stance lvl6), interact with the pounce special ability? Assuming you trigger the "In addition, if you attack your opponent from a higher elevation (including after jumping towards them as a move action), you are considered to be charging that opponent for the purposes of feats and abilities you possess that would provide a beneficial effect." that is. Assume you gained pounce from something like Psionic Lion's Charge or Greater Beast Totem, if that matters. Same question for the Martial Charge feat.
    This stance both intrigues and perturbs me, because of all the things I did not expect Battle Jump/Roof Jumper to get a retread in Pathfinder and reading it made me immediately curious as to the appropriate reading that doesn't leave room for exploits. I can't think of a similar effect in Pathfinder, and the aforementioned comparisons don't quite fit the exact RAW either. I'll give it one more chance for a potentially clear answer here before I throw it over to the Path of War thread for discussion.

10. - Top - End - #1600
    Ogre in the Playground

A 425: My research has found no case where melee damage is inflicted without a damage roll, but maybe you know where something I don't. This is probably because it would be confusing when interacting with critical hits.

Regardless the feat Hammer the Gap, while not exclusively a boost to melee damage, would provide a bonus to your static melee damage, provided said attack hit more than once as part of a full attack action.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

11. - Top - End - #1601
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q 428

I'm making a 15th level Elf Arcanist to join a new game with a 30 INT at character creation (18 start, +2 racial, +6 item, +3 level up, +1 age). I've put one check into linguistics. How many languages do I know by RAW?

EDIT: To clarify, I've seen the number range from eight to thirteen, with the item, age, and level bonuses being debated as to start with 5 bonus languages (of a 20 INT without them) or 10 bonus languages (from the 30 INT with them).
    Last edited by Odessa333; 2016-11-04 at 10:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1602
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamilarRaven View Post
    A 425: My research has found no case where melee damage is inflicted without a damage roll, but maybe you know where something I don't. This is probably because it would be confusing when interacting with critical hits.

Regardless the feat Hammer the Gap, while not exclusively a boost to melee damage, would provide a bonus to your static melee damage, provided said attack hit more than once as part of a full attack action.
    A small enough character inflicts a flat 1 damage. Because after 1d2, it goes to 1d1, aka 1 damage.

13. - Top - End - #1603
    Ogre in the Playground

Q: 429 Can you place armor enchantments (+1, +2 whatever) on robes and common vestments? I'm thinking about Monks and getting a good AC, so this is important. Also, if you can enchant robes with enhancement bonuses, would they stack with Bracers of Armor?

Q: 430 Are there any official rules for making magic items in alternative slots? Mostly wondering because it would be cheaper to split up Ability Score Enhancement items over multiple pieces. (Question also occurred to me before I discovered that Monk's Belt was Monk's Robe in Pathfinder).

14. - Top - End - #1604

Quote Originally Posted by Geigan View Post
    Apologies for the impatience, but I'll just go ahead and bump this to the next page to avoid getting missed.

This stance both intrigues and perturbs me, because of all the things I did not expect Battle Jump/Roof Jumper to get a retread in Pathfinder and reading it made me immediately curious as to the appropriate reading that doesn't leave room for exploits. I can't think of a similar effect in Pathfinder, and the aforementioned comparisons don't quite fit the exact RAW either. I'll give it one more chance for a potentially clear answer here before I throw it over to the Path of War thread for discussion.
    Don't want you to think you're being ignored but I think the PoW thread is indeed your best bet.

A428: To start a game after 1st-level, you begin with a 1st-level character and then level them up to 15th, following each of the level up steps in order. So you'd get the starting score, racial bonus, and age bonus to your Int, but the other stuff (magic item and leveling bonuses) would take place after your bonus languages are distributed. Therefore you'd have 7 bonus languages after your 1 rank is added in.

A429: No, those only count as armor for the purposes of the Magic Vestment spell; they cannot be enchanted like normal armor. The main way for Monks to get an Armor bonus to AC is via Bracers of Armor.

A430: Only the custom item guidelines, which are not actually rules, just sort of "you can homebrew this if you want."
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #1605
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q431: Is there a way for a elf to count as a orc for racial purposes?(or for taking a archetype?) I wanted to eke out all bonuses to my witch slumber DC which i need to a elf for dreamspeaker. Preferably available at level one, though higher is fine
    Last edited by Coretron03; 2016-11-07 at 11:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1606
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A431: Oddly enough, yes, but it really only works to become Orc (and I'm not sure it will be all that helpful in the long run).
    1 level of Sorcerer Orc Bloodline will get you the Orc Subtype.
    Do note that Eldritch Heritage feat will NOT work, as the Orc-type is granted through the Arcana, which Eldritch Heritage does not give. (there's probably another class/archetype/something that will let you get an Arcana, but I'm not sure off-hand).

If you weren't locked into (full)Elf, then a Half-Elf taking Racial Heritage feat could work as well.
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2016-11-08 at 12:50 AM.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

17. - Top - End - #1607

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    A431: Oddly enough, yes, but it really only works to become Orc (and I'm not sure it will be all that helpful in the long run).
    1 level of Sorcerer Orc Bloodline will get you the Orc Subtype.
    Do note that Eldritch Heritage feat will NOT work, as the Orc-type is granted through the Arcana, which Eldritch Heritage does not give. (there's probably another class/archetype/something that will let you get an Arcana, but I'm not sure off-hand).

If you weren't locked into (full)Elf, then a Half-Elf taking Racial Heritage feat could work as well.
    Sweet, that works, Build is for a duel on an odd level, meaning my hex does not lose DC and spell progession does not matter that much as i hope to end the fight with 2 DC 26 save or dies, with a -2 penalty each
    Thanks for that.
    Btw, being a orc was for the witch doctor archetype formthe increased effective Int
    Last edited by Coretron03; 2016-11-08 at 03:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1608

A430 Addendum: If you are willing to consider 3rd party, then you can check out Steelforge, which has a chapter on combatting the christmas tree effect. If you want things more radical, Spheres of Power totally revamped item creation. Instead "function follows form", the feats take care of the basic effect and it doesn't matter, if you enchant a pan instead a sword to hit better or allow it to shoot fireballs. Some of these crafting feats are aimed specifically at SoP though, which means that for core magic those feats need some houseruling.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"