New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Fit To Be Tied...

Good day, Playgrounders! I come to you seeking assistance regarding optimizing the use of a non-lethal weapon... the lasso. I had in mind a character based on Wonder Woman from Justice League: Doom. The wields a sword in one hand, and uses her lasso in the other. Seeing that made me all happy inside.

My thought was to use swordsage and Setting Sun throws; but I'm not sure that's legal. I'm allowed to use anything I can show the DM. We are using 32 point buy. All the DM asks is that we don't break the campaign. All assistance is GREATLY appreciated. Heiwa to niwatori no gurisu!
    "Bender knows love, and love doesn't share itself with the world. Love is suspicious, love is needy. Love is fearful, love is greedy. My friends, there is no great love without great jealousy!"- Bender Bending Rodriguez

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fit To Be Tied...

If you're willing to do some refluffing or Aptitude Weapon use, Net and Trident Style is a decent feat for the concept - when you charge, you can throw your net during the charge and then attack with the trident. Switching that to "you can lasso and then attack with the sword" seems pretty much the same, especially since I'm not sure stats for a lasso actually exist in 3.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The silly thing is in Book of Exalted Deeds. I'll look into the aptitude thing though.
    "Bender knows love, and love doesn't share itself with the world. Love is suspicious, love is needy. Love is fearful, love is greedy. My friends, there is no great love without great jealousy!"- Bender Bending Rodriguez

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xaotiq1 View Post
    The silly thing is in Book of Exalted Deeds. I'll look into the aptitude thing though.
    Seeing as you're going to be weielding a nonlethal weapon, I think it might be a good idea to look into options that make non-lethal combat more powerful. I knows there's at least a few feats like that in BoED, and it might even be worth aiming for Apostle of Peace (maybe...); there's at least one, and probably more, weapon enchantments that give your weapon either a damage bonus or a higher base damage if you're dealing non-lethal with it. Regardless of which one it is, since it's untyped damage, it's only blocked by DR X/- or DR X/epic (I'd mention DR X/magic, but that's basically worthless in a D&D world).

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Seeing as you're going to be weielding a nonlethal weapon, I think it might be a good idea to look into options that make non-lethal combat more powerful. I knows there's at least a few feats like that in BoED, and it might even be worth aiming for Apostle of Peace (maybe...); there's at least one, and probably more, weapon enchantments that give your weapon either a damage bonus or a higher base damage if you're dealing non-lethal with it. Regardless of which one it is, since it's untyped damage, it's only blocked by DR X/- or DR X/epic (I'd mention DR X/magic, but that's basically worthless in a D&D world).
    I see where you're coming from. I will keep that in mind, most definitely. I do plan, though on coupling a non-lethal weapon (lasso) with a lethal weapon (probably a longsword). I'm looking for the best way to use them in tandem. Essentially, the character would lasso their prey and then smash them into a wall or another enemy a few times, and then finish the job with the other weapon. Think of a mash-up of Scorpion from Mortal Kombat and Wonder Woman of DC comics."GET OVER HERE, in the name of Themyscira!!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Anybody out there?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

i have used a lasso as a ranger my combo was tie one end of the lasso to my mount so i lasso them but the mount with it's high strength and size mod makes the trip check letting me drag them past the melee brutes for that juicy prone attack of opportunity.

I suppose you could do it while not sitting on the mount so you are the one who gets the attack of opportunity otherwise i don't think there are rules for swinging a character into a wall with a lasso.

The rules were not designed with superhero strength in mind, not to mention i suspect physics would make this impractical in the real world no matter the strength
    Last edited by awa; 2015-05-22 at 05:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Maybe you could run it like a whip with some kind of grapple ability?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Blister oil (at low levels) or a contact poison can turn a lasso into a really nasty vector for pain and suffering.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Blister oil, huh. I'll take a peek. Question, do you think being able to make the touch attack to initiate a Setting Sun throw from 30ft away would be too OP? The optimization level of the other players tends to fall between low tier2 to high tier 4.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

By RAW, I don't think it works. Lassos use ranged attack rolls. I don't have ToB handy right now, but if I remember correctly, in all of ToB, only a small number of maneuvers, all of them tiger claw, can be used in conjunction with a ranged attack. Setting sun throws rely on melee touch rolls. The only way to hit from 30 ft away would be to optimize the character for increased reach, which can be done.

That said, if you can talk a DM into houseruling it in, go for it and have fun.