New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Five: Polymath

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I call that the 'Downtown Paradox'. Because trying to reach a point in Downtown Orlando is much like your feeling with art. I see the location, but roads don't always go in two directions and many storefronts have no parking lot around them, requiring I go someplace else for proper parking.

That being said, I think your coloring of Spitfire is pretty good. You some nice soft-to-mid-hard shading there and preserving the thick lineart gives it a neat 'decal' look.
    It's frustrating being complimented on that because A) You're right B) That's the result of me literally throwing my hands up and applying the blur brush pretty much randomly.

It's good but it's not what I was trying to do, and that's annoying. Oh well may as well finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Artman77 View Post
    I think a lot of that style of art has to do with understanding subject/object volume as much as it does light and shadow. Studying a lot of other people's art and just copying what you see will help you get started. Another way you could do it is to shade your artwork like you normally do, and then (if you're using photoshop) go to Filter > Artistic > Cutout. From there you can select how many colors/levels you want. The program takes the average and muddle up the color somewhat, so you'll have to re-color the 'cutouts' to maintain the brightness, but it's a quick and easy solution to the two-tone style roadblock you're up against right now.
    I don't have Photoshop but that sounds like a neat trick that I should remember for when I do. I'm planning to upgrade to PS at the same time as I update my rig, get a new tablet, etc - which is looking like one year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Not sure how comparable this is, but sometimes you have the learning and you just have to do it and fail a bunch until your hands and your head stop getting in the way of what you're attempting.

My comparison as a musician is memorizing a piece of music. I used to do this all the time when I was in school, like for competitions and stuff. And there were three phases:
    1) learning and memorizing. I'd finish this and think I totally had it.
    2) repeatedly screwing it up and getting incredibly frustrated because I had done it right before but would constantly make new mistakes, forget parts, or just not execute on the piece right.
    3) Actually getting it, where you no longer have to think about what you're doing and therefore do not screw up.
    I'd describe this as having a good handle on metal and trying to break into jazz, but I keep playing myself into corners I can only get out of by being metal.

But all in all, I think that maybe my overriding problem is that I'm trying to be too specific right now. My most fun in drawing comes when I treat it like play, not when I try and force a specific result. I should be more flexible and open. Especially if I'm trying to learn a new thing I'm not going to get there with accepted methods, I need to open my brain and see what comes in.

Day 1534: Valley And Water

Playing around with maps. I like maps.

Links

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey- So you're having trouble. So... Maybe trying something similar, but distinctly different?

A small request: In the Paper Mario style, I want you to try your hand at drawing three things:
    • A samurai, Longspear using Goomba
    • Peach drop kicking a Koopa
    • A very canadian looking bom-omb.

In case that might provide some sort of help. You can freely ignore this, if you like.

GNU Terry Pratchett

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
    Hey- So you're having trouble. So... Maybe trying something similar, but distinctly different?

A small request: In the Paper Mario style, I want you to try your hand at drawing three things:
    • A samurai, Longspear using Goomba
    • Peach drop kicking a Koopa
    • A very canadian looking bom-omb.

In case that might provide some sort of help. You can freely ignore this, if you like.
    That sounds fun. I've toyed around with trying to do a paper style a few times but, in part, it's reliant on texture effects which I don't have good access to in SAI. I'll give it another look though, see if I can figure it out.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's frustrating being complimented on that because A) You're right B) That's the result of me literally throwing my hands up and applying the blur brush pretty much randomly.

It's good but it's not what I was trying to do, and that's annoying. Oh well may as well finish it.
    Ah, I feel like I should feel bad.

It does happen to all of us I'm sure - You have an idea and what you end up with is different, but not in a bad way. Just different.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #95

Ah, I feel like I should feel bad.

It does happen to all of us I'm sure - You have an idea and what you end up with is different, but not in a bad way. Just different.
    Naw dude, you gave an honest compliment and were correct, I'm just doing the tortured artist thing.

Day 1535: Firehoers

Done. Maybe will tweak later and upload to DA.

Links

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I met someone I dared to call friend, he knew not my name nor I his but we met on a long winding road up the mountain where the greats would rest. Hands smudged with ink and lead I knew his struggles of time and I called out to him in hopes of finding someone to walk the path with "Challenge?"
    This is horrifying beyond anything Lovecraft ever wrote or Giger ever drew.

MCulpa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVopG...el_video_title
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192558

(Screw the point)-Doomboy911

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Doomboy911 View Post
    I met someone I dared to call friend, he knew not my name nor I his but we met on a long winding road up the mountain where the greats would rest. Hands smudged with ink and lead I knew his struggles of time and I called out to him in hopes of finding someone to walk the path with "Challenge?"
    Bring it.

Day 1537: Saxony

welp today went down the Eu4 hole.

Links

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So allow me to step outside of my slippery prose that drips upon the ear like honey upon some flapjacks and tell you who I am.

I found it odd that you and I have been on similar paths. I'm working my way through my fifth year with art. Some time self taught others with teachers and although I've looked upon my kingdom of "art" and called it garbage people have noted "improvement" as there was little way for me to get worst. I've been doing my best to draw every day some doodles some step by steps to larger products but I feel some competition or someone to work with along the way.

As the challenger it's only appropriate that I allow you to name the challenge, whether it be drawing a prompt, something that we both have difficulty with or a speed test.

9. - Top - End - #99

So allow me to step outside of my slippery prose that drips upon the ear like honey upon some flapjacks and tell you who I am.

I found it odd that you and I have been on similar paths. I'm working my way through my fifth year with art. Some time self taught others with teachers and although I've looked upon my kingdom of "art" and called it garbage people have noted "improvement" as there was little way for me to get worst. I've been doing my best to draw every day some doodles some step by steps to larger products but I feel some competition or someone to work with along the way.

As the challenger it's only appropriate that I allow you to name the challenge, whether it be drawing a prompt, something that we both have difficulty with or a speed test.
    Do you have a drawthread? I can't see it. If it's linked in your signature it's broken.

Anyway, draw the ugliest person you can. Show me what you got.

Day 1538: Sinnerman

ROBOTS

Links

10. - Top - End - #100

Day 1539: Unthink

I just needed to lie down for a couple of hours and think stuff through. Nothing specific, I'd just accumulated too many ideas, plans and opinions in my head and needed to spend a bunch of time doing nothing but processing my way through 'em.

Links

Music: Six Blade Knife

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Afraid I lack a scanner for the next week or two but I'll work on this ugly challenge, it's hard to see people as ugly for me.

12. - Top - End - #102

Afraid I lack a scanner for the next week or two but I'll work on this ugly challenge, it's hard to see people as ugly for me.
    Mm, maybe. I think people get too accustomed to drawing pretty people.

Day 1541: Shouldered

Draft design for Earthquake, a tiny pony who drives very fast tiny pony cars.

Links
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-08-12 at 07:05 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Is that a prosthetic limb or a mechanical glove?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #104

Is that a prosthetic limb or a mechanical glove?
    Just a big ol' metal boot.

Day 1542: Death Threat

A shot at a colour scheme. I tried doing a fady pen detailing for the face and I'm not sure if it works; used a more traditional hard brush on the jacket. I think I want to go without external lines and minimal internal ones, see how clean I can get it.

Oh and I'm giving everyone notice - when Stellaris comes out I'm probably going to die. When I do Balmas gets my unlabelled boxes of vitamins.

Links
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-08-13 at 07:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

when Stellaris comes out I'm probably going to die.
    So, it's the same game as the game you play constantly, but in SPACE. Hmm, yeah I'm not sure if you're writing hyperbole or not.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    So, it's the same game as the game you play constantly, but in SPACE. Hmm, yeah I'm not sure if you're writing hyperbole or not.
    It's not. I'm already stockpiling leave from work and there's no release date even announced.

Day 1544: Everything I'm Not

Paranatural is a great webcomic. Couple of sketches from it and other stuff.

Something I've been floating around for a while was doing more stylised faces. I'm making that a bigger priority in days ahead.

Links

17. - Top - End - #107

Day 1545: Boneclaws

I think I made a mental breakthrough with my understanding of hands while looking at an anatomy book. Fingers have four joints! One of those passes all the way through the palm and ends on the wrist.

Didn't do too much more. I'm over-brained today.

Links

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Mm, maybe. I think people get too accustomed to drawing pretty people.
    Came across this today, and thought of you. I was disappointed that it didn't have more when I clicked it, like an interview with the photographer or something, even just some more pictures, but maybe you're motivated enough to hunt down the source or a better report.

Day 1541: Shouldered

Links
    Reminds me of Lightning Dust. Must be the mane and the smug look, I think

Oh, and Hi, I think this is the first time I post in your art thread. Been following it from the shadows for a while though

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Came across this today, and thought of you. I was disappointed that it didn't have more when I clicked it, like an interview with the photographer or something, even just some more pictures, but maybe you're motivated enough to hunt down the source or a better report.
    Yeah, thanks! Ugly faces are interesting. They're not formulatic, you can't just draw an invisible nose and two big eyes and call it a day. You gotta consider the angles and asymmetries. And I've yet to have someone take me up on my challenge of 'draw ugly people!"

Oh, and Hi, I think this is the first time I post in your art thread. Been following it from the shadows for a while though
    Hey, welcome! Glad you like her, she could well be Lightning Dust in a past life.

Day 1546: Hammer and Fever

This is turning out way better than I was expecting. I think this is the right balance of line/lineless.

Links

Music: Earth Rocker

20. - Top - End - #110

Came across this today, and thought of you.
    I had just saw that this morning and I too was thinking about what Thanqol had said.

Yeah, that made does look familiar. Though the resemblance falls apart now that I look at the newer colored version.

This is turning out way better than I was expecting. I think this is the right balance of line/lineless.
    Yes, I agree.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #111

Day 1548: Predation

The natural predator of the art time is the dog cuddle. The dog cuddle can expand to consume all available time of all kinds.

Links

22. - Top - End - #112

Day 1549: But I Like It

Worked off this video. It feels like a really profound breakthrough, it was exactly what I needed.

Links

23. - Top - End - #113

Day 1550: Waugh

It's friday, it's impressive enough that I'm conscious.

Links

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Dude, just wanted to tell you that you're awesome for keeping on doing this for so long.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

25. - Top - End - #115

Links
    Yeah, been a long week for me too. I like the last sketch on the latest image. Got some good movement to it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Ain't that the truth.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks for posting a link to that video. It had some good suggestions and wasn't overly long. (I find it frustrating to watch a 40 min video for only one or two helpful tips)

In response to the "No one accepts my challenge" statement:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Ante: UGLY ACTOR

...I was going to type 'round one', but I realized we didn't set any ground rules. Real ugly people, or ugliness from the imagination? What constitute ugliness? Someone I might find ugly you might find attractive, or vice versa.
    Last edited by Artman77; 2015-08-21 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Typos. It's late and brain is shutting down.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Dude, just wanted to tell you that you're awesome for keeping on doing this for so long.
    Thanks! It's amazing where spite can get you.

Yeah, been a long week for me too. I like the last sketch on the latest image. Got some good movement to it.
    Thanks, that method is really surprisingly fun and gives good volume and motion so I hope to make it my default.

Quote Originally Posted by Artman77 View Post
    Thanks for posting a link to that video. It had some good suggestions and wasn't overly long. (I find it frustrating to watch a 40 min video for only one or two helpful tips)

In response to the "No one accepts my challenge" statement:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Ante: UGLY ACTOR

...I was going to type 'round one', but I realized we didn't set any ground rules. Real ugly people, or ugliness from the imagination? What constitute ugliness? Someone I might find ugly you might find attractive, or vice versa.
    Awright! You're on!

As far as the definition of ugliness: It's actually a flippant definition and challenge to artists who get caught up in drawing a very narrow type of Hollywood or anime style generic prettiness. I'm generally interested in people with unusual, craggy and unmistakable features - not necessarily ugly but definitely unusual. Minorities that don't fit in the smooth-skinned, clean cut action hero image. Africans, old people, and fat people often have really interesting faces that I think are under-represented artistically. I prefer looking at them to young, smooth skinned generics. This guy, or this guy, or this guy.

If I had to re-flippant it, it'd be 'someone with a nose that couldn't be drawn as a simple triangle'.

Day 1551: What Time Is It?

Finished this. Lighting is all over the shop but that is a challenge for another day.

Links

Music: It's Muffin Time
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-08-22 at 04:38 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

It'd be cool if you made the video, but I suspect your link is misleading.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

30. - Top - End - #120

Thanks! It's amazing where spite can get you.
    For reals. Like how thanks to spite, I've been thrown to the dog house for a crime I didn't commit.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    It'd be cool if you made the video, but I suspect your link is misleading.
    Heh, I was thinking the same thing.
    Digo Dragon - Artist