New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Blood Bowl ITP III: Where You Either Win or Blame Nuffle... Sometimes Both

A quick question - who are the Commissioners for the Open League?

Quick Open League match report:

Bordeleaux Brawlers 1 : The 8 Handed Slayers 1

A much better showing by the Khornates this game, although mostly in part to a decimated Human team missing their ogre. Lots and lots of brawling (at least three times, the entirety of both teams ended up squeezed into a 5x5 area), with the humans and their Block getting the edge over the Khornates who were forced to be more cautious due to Frenzy.

Some spots of bad luck (failing a GFI on a blitz to stop the human td) and some good (a pickup chain getting the ball into Khornate hands, letting them score the following turn), so I'm very happy with the dice this game.

Picked up some tips for using a Bloodthirster via LCP's minotaur experience and earned some SPP for the cost of a dead pit fighter, a quite reasonable bargain in my opinion.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Blood Bowl ITP III: Where You Either Win or Blame Nuffle... Sometimes Both

Well i know shishnarfne is one. I don't know if there are others...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hi Gnoman

Still not heard from you, can you let me know when would be a good time for our league game? Will probably be around Saturday morning and Sunday night now (BST), maybe late friday too and will be around tonight.

Would like to get it in before next week as will be back at work (no late nights) and will probably be away on the weekend.

Wraith said you were on the west coast? I am willing to get up early my time to play the game if that'd help providing we've agreed a time.

Thanks!
    Managing the Wymbildon Warpstoners in Gitp Rookie League - Mutations for EVERYONE!

Head Necromancer of The BlackHearse Boneheads in Gitp Main league - Come on lads, it's not like they can kill you twice!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

Match report from last night: Euphonic Cadence 4-1 Leapers of Loren.
    Not as entirely one-sided as the scoreline makes it appear. My third touchdown came after the ball got surrounded by tackle zones, bounced off the pitch, run halfway through Maethirion's half, retrieved and sent back most of the way to my end zone and then all the way back again for the score. And touchdown number 4 came from an interception but still could've gone wrong after the curse of the elves hit Mercury as he tried to dodge out with the ball. The dice went pretty crazy in both directions at different points tbh.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Mm. Last night's game was certainly an interesting one. I realise now that I have never played a team before that's actually capable of making those long pass plays, and I really have no idea how to deal with it aside from put some high AG people in the way and hope for an interception. Any advice from the playground?

The game itself was fun, if frustrating. Highlights for me include a quick turn two touchdown, followed by a fantastic pitch invasion for me, and a missed pass from Euphonic Cadence, giving me a chance for a turn 4 second touchdown.... only for my AG5 linesman to fail his 2+ roll to pick up the ball. Twice. This was very bad luck on both of our parts to get there, but it was frustrating nonetheless. Thufir is right about the dice being all over the place. I rolled snake eyes for dodges at least three times, and Thufir's two or three dice blocks against my wardancers just didn't seem to want to send them down.

All in all, I had a lot of fun, and learned a lot about putting pressure on ball carriers while trying to remain safe enough to do so. And my Treeman levelled up, which is really nice.

Thanks for the game Thufir.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
    Hi Gnoman

Still not heard from you, can you let me know when would be a good time for our league game? Will probably be around Saturday morning and Sunday night now (BST), maybe late friday too and will be around tonight.

Would like to get it in before next week as will be back at work (no late nights) and will probably be away on the weekend.

Wraith said you were on the west coast? I am willing to get up early my time to play the game if that'd help providing we've agreed a time.

Thanks!
    East coast. It's 19:00 right now here. I won't be available until next week - I start work soon.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maethirion View Post
    Mm. Last night's game was certainly an interesting one. I realise now that I have never played a team before that's actually capable of making those long pass plays, and I really have no idea how to deal with it aside from put some high AG people in the way and hope for an interception. Any advice from the playground?
    The basic rule is never to expect to stop a developed elven team from executing a passing play. Especially pro elves. (Though wood elves should also be pretty good at long passing, and if you aren't, it might be part of the problem.)

Put them under pressure and hope for the best. Do set up interceptions; they're frequently more likely to succeed (even with Safe Throw) than an AGI4 player with Dodge, Catch and Nerves of Steel is likely to fail at whatever he's doing. Just try to keep up with your own scoring. Matches between equally passing-minded elven teams frequently devolve into elf-offs, where one side scores and the other scores back, and the final result depends on who manages to cram more touchdowns in, be it by way of being the last team to score in each half (stalling a score until turn 8 exactly remaining an important strategic objective) or by way of defensive touchdowns. Double skulls (including failed 2+ rolls) frequently cause the latter.

You can also try to play a 2-1 grind, if you think of your elf team as sufficiently superior in the bashing game, such as when playing Dark Elves. It can backfire, though, since you need a good cage to hold the ball for long against other elves, and elves don't often make for good cage corners. (Need at least 2 elves with Guard to provide guaranteed assists against a Leaper, to start with.)
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    The basic rule is never to expect to stop a developed elven team from executing a passing play. Especially pro elves. (Though wood elves should also be pretty good at long passing, and if you aren't, it might be part of the problem.)

Put them under pressure and hope for the best. Do set up interceptions; they're frequently more likely to succeed (even with Safe Throw) than an AGI4 player with Dodge, Catch and Nerves of Steel is likely to fail at whatever he's doing. Just try to keep up with your own scoring. Matches between equally passing-minded elven teams frequently devolve into elf-offs, where one side scores and the other scores back, and the final result depends on who manages to cram more touchdowns in, be it by way of being the last team to score in each half (stalling a score until turn 8 exactly remaining an important strategic objective) or by way of defensive touchdowns. Double skulls (including failed 2+ rolls) frequently cause the latter.

You can also try to play a 2-1 grind, if you think of your elf team as sufficiently superior in the bashing game, such as when playing Dark Elves. It can backfire, though, since you need a good cage to hold the ball for long against other elves, and elves don't often make for good cage corners. (Need at least 2 elves with Guard to provide guaranteed assists against a Leaper, to start with.)
    Thank you for the advice. As the Wood Elves, I can long pass, although if I can get it shorter, of course I do.
    That was pretty much what I had figured. Trying to keep the scoring as level as possible while I have the ball. Bit of a shame that didn't work out, but I guess that's the way it goes.

9. - Top - End - #159

Griffon

If anyone has nothing much to do this evening, I'm available for 'friendly' matches to play. I have newbie High Elves in the Open League and 1100TV Humans in Naggaroth that I'd like to work on
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

California Skulls 1 - Wheeeeeeee! 0

What a grind of a game. I recieved in the first half and tried to form a cage, but Qwertystop's fanatic and loony tore through me like paper. I gave as good as I got though, and though a skilled application of force stopped me from scoring, after halftime the goblins had four players on the field, including a troll, and the Skulls almost at full strength, save for a trio of Tomb Guardians. Despite that, the goblins managed to slow me down immensely, and so many pickups and dodges were failed that I don't think a single turn didn't end in a turnover, with the numbers of the Skulls slowly working out to force the ball down the field, until I was able to score in the very final turn of the game.

11. - Top - End - #161

Griffon

I was watching the game - the only word to describe a game in which two Tomb Guardians and a Troll have all been Badly Injured by game turn 3 is 'carnage'..... Though it was very entertaining all the same!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

It's an important thing to consider for any lurkers that might still be hanging about the place - if you wouldn't mind filling in for a coach who has to drop out (or goes MIA), make yourselves known so we know who to turn to!
    Did somebody say lurkers? I would be happy to fill in if you need an additional coach.
    Gunblade is love, Gunblade is life.

13. - Top - End - #163

Griffon

Well, that might not be a terrible idea. I've seen Clarkson online in the last couple of days, he's not answered me when I've left a message and has gone so far as changing his Steam name to boot.

If he's not in touch when I get home tomorrow, it'll be very hard to see how he's not just deliberately ignoring me. I'll keep you will appraised, but frankly I'm feeling beyond the point where it's unfortunate timing problems and more like wilful ignorance, draw or forfeit.
    I'll chat with Silfir when I next get chance, as one commissioner to another to make sure that I'm not overstepping myself, but without further input I will consider replacing Bear's Children if you're willing to make an formal application, careen soda. :smallsmile^

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Well, that might not be a terrible idea. I've seen Clarkson online in the last couple of days, he's not answered me when I've left a message and has gone so far as changing his Steam name to boot.

If he's not in touch when I get home tomorrow, it'll be very hard to see how he's not just deliberately ignoring me. I'll keep you will appraised, but frankly I'm feeling beyond the point where it's unfortunate timing problems and more like wilful ignorance, draw or forfeit.
    I'll chat with Silfir when I next get chance, as one commissioner to another to make sure that I'm not overstepping myself, but without further input I will consider replacing Bear's Children if you're willing to make an formal application, careen soda. :smallsmile^

I would love to, but i'm not sure what you mean by formal application.

15. - Top - End - #165

Griffon

As In, create a team and enrol it to the GitP Rookie League. The information to do so, is in the first post of this thread.

Of course, I'm not yet ruling out Clarkson altogether, but I'm glad to know that someone else is interested in our little coterie of teams.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    As In, create a team and enrol it to the GitP Rookie League. The information to do so, is in the first post of this thread.

Of course, I'm not yet ruling out Clarkson altogether, but I'm glad to know that someone else is interested in our little coterie of teams.
    Ah gotcha. Is it possible for me to do while the league is full? I can make a team, but I'm not sure I can apply until Clarkson is removed, if he is.

17. - Top - End - #167

Griffon

I honestly have no idea. If you would be so kind as to give it a try, I'll do my very best to find out for sure (I was only made aware 2 days ago that teams could be swapped out ar all...)

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

(Wraith, I don't see you on Steam - if you join me on there we can chat directly :) )

The correct procedure would be to drop the team to be replaced first, then accept the application of the new team. I'd say careem soda should make the application as soon as he's decided on his final roster. I think he should be able to apply to the Rookie League even while it's full; if not, you should make sure to be in communication through Steam so you can both go through the necessary step in a pretty short time. It should always be possible to consult the live chat on The bbtactics forum for help on the exact specifics; I've never done it but the guys there have.

Clarkson did accept my friend request on Steam, though I haven't tried to message him so far (we were never concurrently online). I think the most likely explanation for his lack of communication are either IRL issues that prevent him from paying less than full attention to his weighty responsibilities as a Blood Bowl coach on an online forum, or a lack of motivation similar to what firedaemon33 had last season. In either of those two cases, I can't see how he'd mind getting replaced. Sometimes you just have other things to worry about, sometimes there's a technical failure of some kind, and sometimes it's hard to admit outright you dropped the ball on something... I like to assume the best in people.

Be that as it may, since we have a replacement coach ready and willing who was willing to cease his lurking in the shadows to heed my call, but we also have reason to believe at this point that Clarkson doesn't enjoy Blood Bowl quite as much as we'd like him to, I think it's fair to go ahead with replacing him if he doesn't post at all within something like the next twenty-four hours. It would be especially awesome if you can actually play with careem soda on this match day (on Sunday afternoon or evening, perhaps), thereby avoiding another forfeit match.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2015-06-27 at 02:32 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

... but we also have reason to believe at this point that Clarkson doesn't enjoy Blood Bowl quite as much as we'd like him to...
    I know that feeling.

Nuffle, thou are a fickle and heartless [redacted].
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2015-06-27 at 05:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I have applied, a Communist Party is ready for action!

21. - Top - End - #171

Griffon

So I'm back from my little AFK excursion and I still haven't heard from Clarkson, who Steam says was online yesterday evening. I'm going ahead with the plan to remove Clarkson from the League and install careem soda as his replacement.

Careem, is this your Steam profile? If so, I've sent you a friend request as the game has automagically paired you and I up for the remaining match. Forgive the suddenly fast pace of everything, but I'm probably going to be around for most of the everyone and the majority of tomorrow, so perhaps we can play?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Blood Bowl ITP III: Where You Either Win or Blame Nuffle... Sometimes Both

That is indeed me! I have added you. I should be available to play in about 2.5 hours (1:30PM CDT).

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Welp, played the first game against Wraith, cost me a Ghoul (-1 armor sucks ) but we got a leveled werewolf and tied 1-1, and got enough money to guarantee i can get another ghoul after one more game. I'd say that's a good result.

24. - Top - End - #174

Griffon

Ladies, Gentlemen and Gobins of all ages, a standing ovation please for Careem Soda who stepped into Clarkson's shoes and took up his place in the League at very short notice.

The process isn't entirely mastered - for all intents and purposes, A Communist Party has supplanted Bear's Children in every way; they have the same number of matches played, against the same opponents, with the same results, so as not to make the game have to reassign a bunch of wins/losses/draws and thus entirely rewrite the rankings. Although I've been wrong before about this sort of thing, this time I'm fairly certain that this can't be changed. No matter - we have a full Rookie League again.

As for the game, it was frustrating in all of the most fun ways Both teams continually rolls a slew of 1's, allowing the other to gain an advantage before being 1'd back down again. The Scaretoon Network failed to pick up the ball 3 turns in a row, and then failed a 2+ catch in turn 8 that would have put them 1-0 ahead. The Party then failed a handful of Dodges and GFI's that would have prevented the Dark Elves' touchdown, only to immediately cage up, dodge out of a Tackle Zone and then watch in hilarity as the only Blitzer that could offer even token resistance to the impending retaliation touchdown failed a dodge on yet another 1.

I think a draw was well deserved. The Halfling Chef did all the work in the world, he lost a Ghoul to -1AV, I lost a Wrestle Lineman to -1ST and we were both 'diced' equally as often. Thank you again, Careem Soda!

Anyways.... Day's over! Have another day!

Calender for Day 8:
    Wheeeeeeeeee! (Qwertstop) vs. Black Ribbons (Luzahn)
    The Scaretoon Network (Wraith) vs. Kleptoquarterbacks (Froish)
    Grimnir's Grudgebringers (Pippington) vs. A Communist Party (Careem Soda)
    Spartans of Khorne (Brother Oni) vs. Ms. Dot's Nurse Academy (Manticoran)
    Something Ratten in Den. (Neon Knight) vs. Champions of Dread (Devmaar)
    Okami Ye Faithful (Silfir) vs. Papa N's Storytime Crew (Ivellius)
    Throwaways and Throwers (Shishnarfne) vs. Wymbildon Warpstoners (Unpronounceable)
    California Skulls (LeSwordfish) vs. Smashers of Sotek (Maethirion)

Games to be completed by: Monday 13th July
    Last edited by Wraith; 2015-06-28 at 03:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Maithrion, it looks like you're... almost exactly on the other side of the world to me! I think a 10pm game for me would be 9am your time - does that work for a weekday? Alternatively I could go for a 5am game before work, though that would have to wait until next week - once again, i'm away over the weekend.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Careem, I have no idea what timezone you're in but I'm on BST and free for most of thus week - let me know when you're available. And welcome to the league!
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

27. - Top - End - #177
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yo Brother Oni. I'm free for the rest of today, and then from about 2100 to 0100 GMT on weekdays, and then free on weekends. Although I'll be free most of Friday because it's a holiday.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Careem, I have no idea what timezone you're in but I'm on BST and free for most of thus week - let me know when you're available. And welcome to the league!
    Hey LCP, I'm in CDT (should be GMT -5 unless i'm crazy) I'm free from 23:00 GMT to 05:00 GMT on weekdays, and almost all of the weekend, and thanks for the welcome!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Maithrion, it looks like you're... almost exactly on the other side of the world to me! I think a 10pm game for me would be 9am your time - does that work for a weekday? Alternatively I could go for a 5am game before work, though that would have to wait until next week - once again, i'm away over the weekend.
    I know, I'm in one of those tricky time zones that doesn't really work with anyone else
    9am my time works just fine for me. I'm not going to be free tomorrow morning, but any other morning should be fine, just let me know which one works best for you

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Devmaar, what's the word? I should be relatively open to play any day this week, and I'm on CDT.