New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default What did 3.0 do better?

So what 3.0 features are worth backporting into 3.5?

I can think of maybe:

Missile and Weapon enchantment stacking

Multiclass at 1st level

I recall something about large being split into "long" and "tall"

What would you consider house ruling from 3.0 into a 3.5 game?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What did 3.0 do better?

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    So what 3.0 features are worth backporting into 3.5?

I can think of maybe:

Multiclass at 1st level

I recall something about large being split into "long" and "tall"

What would you consider house ruling from 3.0 into a 3.5 game?
    It was easier and better to buff your muggles longer.

Haste was better.

Items were cheaper. Especially flight.

Items were better. Especially Vorpal.

Crit stacking.

And that bolded one, 1st level Multiclass.

EDIT: oh, and got could I forget... What was I saying? Oh, right - XP rules. There was actually a reason for higher and lower level characters to adventure together.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2019-03-20 at 07:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

A very similar thread surfaced recently, check it out.
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    It was easier and better to buff your muggles longer.

Haste was better.
    I think we might want to distinguish between "better" = more powerful and "better" = "made a better game"

3.0 haste was too good

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I think there's a 3.0 rule somewhere that range increments go up with size. I like that one--it prevents the whole "is in melee attack range but outside throwing range" problem.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #6

I think we might want to distinguish between "better" = more powerful and "better" = "made a better game"

3.0 haste was too good
    "Free pounce" is something most muggles crave; Haste gave that. Haste also gave +4 AC - something muggles really need.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboEmperor View Post
    Nothing. Everything in 3.0 is one of the most OP things in 3.5

Phylactery of Change
    Golem's Magic Immunity which blocks all spells and su abilities regardless of whether it's SR:YES or not.
    Warbeast Template
    Runic Guardian compared to its 3.5 counterpart Grisgol

and many more.
    Just because 3.5 hit muggles with the nerf bat does not mean that the nerf bat is in the right.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2019-03-20 at 08:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's a small thing, but i really like how 3.0 did shurikens. You couldn't apply your Str mod to damage, but you could throw them 3 at a time. It made them interesting, and especially useful for throwing builds that relied on precision damage.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

For the actual question, I loved DR/+x instead of DR/Magic. DR/Magic becomes 90% irrelevant after level 5 and 100% irrelevant after lv 7 when even your secondary weapon is gonna be magical.

This means that Great Wyrms with 30 points of DR have effectively DR 0 against anyone who's actually a threat to them.

Yea yea, DR/+x is bad mundanes, and there are a dozen of better ways to handle DR. Still, I wish they somehow had kept it.

"Free pounce" is something most muggles crave; Haste gave that. Haste also gave +4 AC - something muggles really need.
    It's only good for mundanes, it was absolutely overpowered for casters.

A better nerf would've been granting a move action instead of the 3.0 version which granted a partial (standard) action
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2019-03-20 at 08:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

How did level 1 multiclassing work?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, but it also gave an extra partial action

Which is another spell for the mages...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    I can't find it in the 3.0 SRD and I am AFB from my 3.0 DMB

But basically you got to pick two classes and only got some of the features of 1st level from each

On reaching 2nd level you become full X1/Y1

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't find it in the 3.0 SRD and I am AFB from my 3.0 DMB

But basically you got to pick two classes and only got some of the features of 1st level from each

On reaching 2nd level you become full X1/Y1
    Huh. That is an interesting idea. It probably wouldn't be too broken to have that if done carefully. I wonder why they took it out. Maybe it just added one more complication for first level characters where many people would be starting the game? Or maybe they were worried that it would be too difficult to break down for every single base class as they added more base classes? I'd be really curious what the exact rule was and why they decided to take it out.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

13. - Top - End - #13

You get all the skills, proficiencies, and abilities of both classes at 1st level, and then chose one of the two to determine HP and the number of skill points at 1st level. At second level you got the HP and and skill points of the other class.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

the reincarnation table, monk attacks and rakshasas

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    It's only good for mundanes, it was absolutely overpowered for casters.

A better nerf would've been granting a move action instead of the 3.0 version which granted a partial (standard) action
    Probably.

Yes, but it also gave an extra partial action

Which is another spell for the mages...
    So they run out of spells faster? It was a stealth nerf for casters.

Huh. That is an interesting idea. It probably wouldn't be too broken to have that if done carefully. I wonder why they took it out. Maybe it just added one more complication for first level characters where many people would be starting the game? Or maybe they were worried that it would be too difficult to break down for every single base class as they added more base classes? I'd be really curious what the exact rule was and why they decided to take it out.
    Well, keeping it in would have meant requiring all new classes to detail their "level 1/2"...

Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    You get all the skills, proficiencies, and abilities of both classes at 1st level, and then chose one of the two to determine HP and the number of skill points at 1st level. At second level you got the HP and and skill points of the other class.
    It wasn't quite that good. It was more like "stunted level 1 abilities of both", iirc.

16. - Top - End - #16

BarbarianGuy

All-in-all, 3.0 did a much better job of emulating the magic you read about in myths and folklore. They nerfed a lot of stuff like Polymorph real hard for being "too powerful."

When I ran a Norse-themed game, I specifically ported 3.0 versions of several spells, because I wanted them to be like the magic described in the Sagas, etc.

Building on wilphe's comment above mine, the important distinction on 1st-level multiclassing was that the HD and the skill points were tied together. You couldn't be a 1st-level multiclassed Barbarian/Rogue and get a d12 for your first HD, and (8+Int)*4 skill points at first level. If you wanted the Rogue skill points, you had to take the Rogue HD, and vice versa. You also, IIRC, never started 1st level as such a character with a BAB of +1; it was always +0. You would also get +1 in each "good save" from each class. So the Barb/Rogue would start with a +1 base Fort save, and a +1 base Ref save.

I actually like the 3.0 Cover and Concealment rules, and my group recently voted to used them in our new campaign (that started ~6 months ago).

In previous 3.5 campaigns I have treated all DR/Magic as DR/+X, utilizing the 3.0 versions of monsters' DR for the requisite enhancement bonus to overcome it. Because like others I think it is stupid to give a CR 17 dragon DR 20/Magic.

17. - Top - End - #17

The biggest problem with 3.0 haste was that it allowed you to cast 3 spells per round when paired with Quicken Spell. This was obnoxiously more powerful than any benefits it conferred onto melee characters and the main reason why it was nerfed.

There's not a whole lot in 3.0 that wasn't greatly improved by 3.5, but if I had to single a few things out:

-While I think the speed granted by the fly spell deserved to be nerfed, the additional hit to duration was unnecessary.

-Flame arrow was turned from an unusual (if niche) ammunition buff + an okay (if slightly redundant) blasting spell, into a completely useless waste that no spellcaster should ever bother taking. The blasting component was separated into an entirely different spell (scorching ray).

-There are several other spell level changes make very little sense, such as lowering earthquake to 9th-level from 8th, and raising mass heal from 8th-level to 9th.

-Power Attack. Unpopular opinion, but I was not a fan of the change that allowed you to double the attack roll penalty when you wield the weapon with two hands. It was the various subsequent materials that built upon this change that were largely responsible for sword-and-board style melee characters being relegated to the waste bin in optimized combat.
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Awkward View Post
    -Power Attack. Unpopular opinion, but I was not a fan of the change that allowed you to double the attack roll penalty when you wield the weapon with two hands. It was the various subsequent materials that built upon this change that were largely responsible for sword-and-board style melee characters being relegated to the waste bin in optimized combat.
    I think this is more of a fault in regards to charge feats (Shocktrooper and Leap Attack) which were clearly meant to be used with a single attack, but then came the Lion Totem Barbarian.

At least Initiators somewhat fixed Sword an Board, since a bigger chunk of their damage comes from maneuvers and not PA.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

This is a minor niche thing, but some of the skill rules had more depth. Like the +20 to DC for "almost impossible" tasks as a general rule, as well as some other instances of skill DC tables being more detailed.

The skill system did improve on the whole by them trimming stuff down, but some of the nuance was lost here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a small thing, but i really like how 3.0 did shurikens. You couldn't apply your Str mod to damage, but you could throw them 3 at a time. It made them interesting, and especially useful for throwing builds that relied on precision damage.
    This.

These shuriken rules were the best for rain of thrown objects.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Elemental Savant - in 3.0 it was a decent prestige class without being too powerful, in 3.5 it is pretty much unplayable (as in bad).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Part of it is probably personal taste, but I was a fan of the longer lasting buffs that 3.0 had. A lot of the basics like bulls strength lasted for hours rather than minutes. It saved a lot of headache, as far as I'm concerned, ify ou could just have a buff list that everyone applied in the morning and then assumed was active near always.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Phew....it was so long ago that I palyed 3.0 that I probably forgot a lot, but from the Top of my head:

Crit Range Stacking (instead of completely removing it it should ahve been streamlined into say 3 different Types of Crit Improvement that could stack, say Weapon make, Enchantment, and Skill or somesuch if one really wanted toa void Beheader Mosnters).

DR/Magic. Entirely useless. Modding DR/+x into a DR +X Or one Material would have been enough toa void mundanes suffering too much from it and kept the DR of high DR Mosnters relevant.

Some Race Changes.

Size Modifiers and Power Attack. Not that the new one was specifically WORSE; it just was a change that didnt really fix" anything.

Some needless Spell Changes (yes, Polimorph needed to be chenged in a setting where its so easy to get, but not everything needed a "erven more precise and anrrow, so that only Wizards take it" hit^^).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    DR/+x
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Crit Range Stacking
    large being split into "long" and "tall"
    I was originally going to just throw some snark with "it certainly wasn't editing!" but these things here are all solid. The idea that some things were longer or taller rather than just being a 3x3 cube made sense. DR/Magic is flat out stupid and pointless beyond being immune to commoners. And generally, I loved the idiotic crit builds, balance be damned!

25. - Top - End - #25

I actually have started backporting DR/+X. In fact, I might even make slight adjustments to it, where having partial enchantment partially negates the DR. For example, DR 10/+2 might be DR 5 against a +1. Or, to put this in alternative terms, it would be overlapping DR 10/+1 and 5/+2. Food for thought, anyway.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

3.0 golems were better. Magic immunity was a real issue and a legitimate counterpart to the "immune to mundane attacks" style monsters.

Haste was better, with the note that it shouldn't have allowed for additional spell casting.

DR was better in that there was generally less stuff like "cold iron and chaotic" or other "annoying material + random alignment", which is an enchantment set up I've seen exactly zero times in play since 3e came out.

As I recall in 3.0 power attack and combat expert were mirrors of each other. You could take -bab, up to -5, to hit for a benefit and both had a greater version that lifted the cap. In 3.5 PA went right to the no-cap version and the greater combat expert got stuck in a splat book. I won't opine as to which of the cap/no cap was a better way, but the mismatch introduced in 3.5 always annoyed me.

In 3.0 the stat buff spells were useful. Having the roll was interesting and allowed for metamagic, odd stats could be useful, and they lasted long enough that people would use them. In 3.5 they got relegated to the rubbish bin unless you were doing some sort of persisting metamagic with mass level reducers.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

This means that Great Wyrms with 30 points of DR have effectively DR 0 against anyone who's actually a threat to them.
    This was true in 3.0 as well. If a 3.0 great wyrm did not have effectively DR 0 versus a character (who cared about weapon damage), then that character was not actually a threat to the wyrm. 3.0 DR was all-or-none, scaling high enough that it rarely made sense to try to batter through it. It was an arbitrary gate for fighter-types: you must have a +X weapon to participate.

3.5 DR is less binary because the numbers are lower. You can still fight an enemy even if you can't pierce its DR, it's just harder. Also, because +1 weapons no longer bypass other types of DR, you're more likely to actually run into DR that applies to you.

I do like The Kool's suggestion.

28. - Top - End - #28

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    As I recall in 3.0 power attack and combat expert were mirrors of each other. You could take -bab, up to -5, to hit for a benefit and both had a greater version that lifted the cap. In 3.5 PA went right to the no-cap version and the greater combat expert got stuck in a splat book. I won't opine as to which of the cap/no cap was a better way, but the mismatch introduced in 3.5 always annoyed me.
    This is incorrect. 3.0 Power Attack had no cap (other than the +20 non-epic cap). The only functional difference between 3.0 PA and 3.5 PA is that in 3.0 it was always a -1:+1 ratio, and you could power attack with light weapons. In 3.5 you can't PA with light weapons at all, and it's -1:+2 if the weapon is two-handed.

I think removing the ability to power attack with light weapons is dumb. Every used a hatchet or a tomahawk (AKA a Throwing Axe)?

There was a feat in a splat book that took the cap off Expertise, though I forget what it was. Well, with a search it appears to have been Superior Expertise. It was published in 3 books: Deities & Demigods, Faiths & Pantheons, and Oriental Adventures.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

What does this refer to?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

30. - Top - End - #30

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    What does this refer to?
    If you were an Archer with a Strength of 10, and had a +5 Longbow and a +5 Arrow, and shot that arrow from that bow, your damage was 1d8+10.

But, your arrows had to be magic to overcome Damage Reduction. Fire a mundane arrow from a +5 Longbow? It did not defeat the monster's DR.

I actually liked that set up.