New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    Given that the book states "if are[sic] pinned or grappled, most of your maneuvers simply will not work until you are able to move freely." and that the PoW Errata that recently came out didn't change this, the RAW in the book and the RAI stated in the link are very much at odds, as if grappling prevent initiating was a mistake the errata would have been the time to address it. Was this an oversight?

2. - Top - End - #932
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can you counter an attack you don't see coming, such as when you've been feinted and are denied your dex? I've always assumed that attacks like this worked because you can't see the incoming attack therefore you can't dodge it.

It's probably safe to assume someone could counter on your behalf, but not for yourself.
    Last edited by Zsaber0; 2017-07-19 at 05:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zsaber0 View Post
    Can you counter an attack you don't see coming, such as when you've been feinted and are denied your dex? I've always assumed that attacks like this worked because you can't see the incoming attack therefore you can't dodge it.

It's probably safe to assume someone could counter on your behalf, but not for yourself.
    IIRC, you can counter any attack that isn't a natural 20 so long as you can use your immediate action (which is usually because you are flatfooted, unconscious outer stun/dazed.)

Note that flat footed denies you dex to AC, but being denied dex is not the same as flatfooted.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can you counter an attack from an invisible attacker?

5. - Top - End - #935

DwarfClericGuy

Strictly speaking yes, so long as you've acted in initiative, I think so, but as a GM, I'd probably say not unless you have blindfighting or something similar.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

6. - Top - End - #936

Quote Originally Posted by Zsaber0 View Post
    Can you counter an attack from an invisible attacker?
    Not for most counters, because the attack happens before you have the capability to counter it. If they are undetectable to you, you can't do anything about them.

But some work as reaction to taking damage, or give counterattacks after you've been hit, which would work because they don't require being used against a specific attack.
    Last edited by exelsisxax; 2017-07-20 at 08:01 AM.

7. - Top - End - #937

Psionics Augmented: Occult

How does the Shattered Mind Occultist archetype interact with the expanded rules for psicrystals in Psicrystals Expanded?

It seems like all the shattered mind implements each become a psicrystal. Is it possible to use all the different psicrystal archetypes with the shattered minds implements?

Addendum: Exactly how do the psicrystal implements function with regards to psicrystal personalities? Does each psicrystal implement confer its bonus to the shattered mind? Does he only gain the bonus from the implements he has invested in for the day? Does he only gain the bonus from one of his implements?
    Last edited by EisenKreutzer; 2017-07-22 at 03:39 PM.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

8. - Top - End - #938
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Path of War

I have a question regarding Discipline Weapons, DCs, and non-weapon Maneuvers.

Now, the rules state that when you use a Discipline Weapon for a maneuver, you gain a +2 Competence bonus to DCs. How does this interact with Maneuvers that don't involve weapons, such as Black Seraph's Abyssal Lance or Riven Hourglass's Temporal Wave?

Essentially, if you are carrying an axe and fire off an Abyssal Lance at someone, does it get a +2 to the DC, or no? RAW would seem to suggest no (you're not making a weapon attack), but that strikes me as a somewhat odd and probably unintended 'stealth nerf' to non-weapon Maneuvers.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

For Silver Crane maneuvers with abilities specific to "Undead or Evil Outsiders", are these intended to pierce undead's normal immunity to Fort saves?

For example, Exorcism Strike against an undead: Are they intended to have to make the save vs Daze? RAW it seems undead would be auto-immune and only Evil Outsiders would need to make the same.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quick Question

The Steel Serpent Discipline is affected by poison resistance/inmunities?

Thansk for the reply
    who would told that Wemus Fletcher, the son of a Frenzied Berseker and a Warpriest, became a Sorcerer and cant use aweapon even if his life depend on it?

11. - Top - End - #941
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wermus View Post
    Quick Question

The Steel Serpent Discipline is affected by poison resistance/inmunities?

Thansk for the reply
    From a quick skim, it seems like even the closest thing to poison (Prana maneuvers) is distinct from poison by the logic of maneuvers that benefit from, or benefit, both (Poisoner's Stance/Spitting Cobra Stance, Iron/Steel/Adamantine Fang, Virulence). Pranas are described as ki manipulation, from the look of it.
    The future is bright.

12. - Top - End - #942

Flumph

Path of War

Scarlet Throne question. Can Scarlet's Eye Perception be used with Rising Zenith strike and similar strikes that replace an attack roll with a skill check? I wasn't sure if the internal logic of the strikes specifically calling out a skill check against armor class forbade modification by something like the boost.
    Last edited by Geigan; 2017-07-26 at 03:27 AM.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Orc in the Playground

Is there any reason you couldn't manifest Metaconcert while you're currently in one, using the higher manifester level to include even more targets into the next Metaconcert, further increasing the total manifester level increase? It seems like this is doable, spending extravagant amounts of PP to chain Metaconcerts building up to an intense crescendo.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geigan View Post
    Path of War

Scarlet Throne question. Can Scarlet's Eye Perception be used with Rising Zenith strike and similar strikes that replace an attack roll with a skill check? I wasn't sure if the internal logic of the strikes specifically calling out a skill check against armor class forbade modification by something like the boost.
    They are intended to be stackable, I don't have my book with me to check the RAW and things may be changing with the errata but that was the initial intent.

15. - Top - End - #945

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    They are intended to be stackable, I don't have my book with me to check the RAW and things may be changing with the errata but that was the initial intent.
    That's good, I was concerned for a bit since as far as I know the RAW for a lot of the other boosts from the same discipline didn't seem to work very well with those strikes already.

Boosts like Regal Blade (and similar) wouldn't apply their attack bonus to Rising Zenith strike (and similar) and explicitly wouldn't have their additional damage multiplied by the strike since the clarifiying errata, correct?

16. - Top - End - #946
    Pixie in the Playground

Reposting my question from the old DSP discussion thread.

I have a question about the Gunsmoke Mystic and the Dervish Defender Warder' interaction.

For DD Warder's Two-Weapon Defense, does it works with GS Mystic's Gun-fu- which lets him treat a 2-handed musket as a light melee weapon- if he also wields a gauntlet?

17. - Top - End - #947

Quote Originally Posted by RioMav View Post
    Reposting my question from the old DSP discussion thread.

I have a question about the Gunsmoke Mystic and the Dervish Defender Warder' interaction.

For DD Warder's Two-Weapon Defense, does it works with GS Mystic's Gun-fu- which lets him treat a 2-handed musket as a light melee weapon- if he also wields a gauntlet?
    No, because it isn't a real light melee weapon. You aren't wielding a weapon in each hand or a double weapon. You are either wielding a weapon 2-handed that you may make melee attacks with as if it were light, OR you have a gun you can't use in one hand and can punch people with the gauntlet on the other. Neither of these situations qualify for two-weapon defense.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by exelsisxax View Post
    No, because it isn't a real light melee weapon. You aren't wielding a weapon in each hand or a double weapon. You are either wielding a weapon 2-handed that you may make melee attacks with as if it were light, OR you have a gun you can't use in one hand and can punch people with the gauntlet on the other. Neither of these situations qualify for two-weapon defense.
    I thought the same thing but a fellow player showed me that you can hold a 2-handed firearm in one hand same as a bow, you just need two hands to shoot them. And since you can switch grip as a free action, a musket can be readied for melee easily.

Really though, the part "as a light melee weapon"is the main cause of dispute as light melee weapon can be used in 1 hand and thus TWF.
    Last edited by RioMav; 2017-08-01 at 10:43 AM.

19. - Top - End - #949

Quote Originally Posted by RioMav View Post
    I thought the same thing but a fellow player showed me that you can hold a 2-handed firearm in one hand same as a bow, you just need two hands to shoot them. And since you can switch grip as a free action, a musket can be readied for melee easily.

Really though, the part "as a light melee weapon"is the main cause of dispute as light melee weapon can be used in 1 hand and thus TWF.
    Yes, you can hold a musket of bow in one hand. You can hold a large greatsword in one hand too, but hold is not wield. per RAW you can use free action grab/releases to make attacks with the gauntlet and musket on the same turn during a full attack, but this is NOT TWF, and can't be done outside your turn anyway.

This cannot work because you must be wielding the musket, and muskets are 2-handed weapons. gun-fu doesn't get around that, it just lets you use other features keyed off of weapon type(primarily finesse) without a hassle.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by exelsisxax View Post
    Yes, you can hold a musket of bow in one hand. You can hold a large greatsword in one hand too, but hold is not wield. per RAW you can use free action grab/releases to make attacks with the gauntlet and musket on the same turn during a full attack, but this is NOT TWF, and can't be done outside your turn anyway.

This cannot work because you must be wielding the musket, and muskets are 2-handed weapons. gun-fu doesn't get around that, it just lets you use other features keyed off of weapon type(primarily finesse) without a hassle.
    Alright, thank you. That seems like fair logic. I wish the wording would have been similar to the elven curve blade if that is indeed the case.

Edit:Okay in any case my DM has decided to vet using Gun-fu with DD Warder. He pointed to a similar exception the case of the Flambard.
    Last edited by RioMav; 2017-08-01 at 02:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #951

Why does the Steelfist commando get so much extra power for essentially free? Losing proficiency with medium armor and shields doesn't seem like much of a loss since this sort of character probably wasn't going to use them anyway so the dodge bonus feels pretty much free, both the feats they lose get traded out for more than they lost, and commando prowess is a straight up improvement on battle prowess. I'd accept that they deserve some amount of power for focusing on an otherwise sub optimal combat style, but broken blade is already a crazy powerful discipline for the exact same reason. All in all it seems like too much and in the finally released errata all this extra power is completely untouched. Am I over estimating how much they get for so little or is this archetype just a touch overpowered?

22. - Top - End - #952
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Da Beast View Post
    Why does the Steelfist commando get so much extra power for essentially free? Losing proficiency with medium armor and shields doesn't seem like much of a loss since this sort of character probably wasn't going to use them anyway so the dodge bonus feels pretty much free, both the feats they lose get traded out for more than they lost, and commando prowess is a straight up improvement on battle prowess. I'd accept that they deserve some amount of power for focusing on an otherwise sub optimal combat style, but broken blade is already a crazy powerful discipline for the exact same reason. All in all it seems like too much and in the finally released errata all this extra power is completely untouched. Am I over estimating how much they get for so little or is this archetype just a touch overpowered?
    Broken Blade's power has nothing to do with being thematically unarmed. You've always been able to use high-damage weapons like sansetsukons and tri-point double-edged swords with Broken Blade. And now, with the errata, you can use greatswords with it. Broken Blade's power has to do with its strikes and boosts being ludicrously overtuned. Also, you used to get +2 damage per hit with it, but that was removed with errata. Once errata for PoW's maneuvers comes out, I fully expect it to be heavily nerfed.

Anyway, there are plenty of reasons to be a regular warlord over a Steelfist Commando.
    • An amulet of mighty fists is twice as expensive to enhance as a magic weapon, and takes up the same slot as an amulet of natural armor.
    • People with medium armor proficiency can use Celestial Plate Armor, which is better than a chain shirt or mithral breastplate.
    • You lose your 1st level bonus feat to make your unarmed strikes equivalent to a heavy mace. A bonus feat is worth a lot at 1st level.

At lower levels, a Steelfist Commando doesn't really have any advantages over a regular warlord. It does scale better than a regular warlord, though. If you get 8 Steelfist Commando levels or so, then yeah, Steelfist Commando will wind up being better, especially if you dip a class with medium or heavy armor proficiency. But honestly, I don't think the power difference is horribly tremendous. Also consider that dipping and prestige classing is actually good in Path of War, so there are great builds you can make with a full Warlord IL that only have a small number of actual Warlord levels.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Dwarf in the Playground

Path of War

Question 1:

If I'm an initiator archetype for a non-initiator class that has access to three disciplines (disciplines A, B, and C) and I enter a prestige class that offers maneuvers from two disciplines (disciplines A and B) and then two disciplines that were previously available to me, do I add a fourth discipline that I get access to, or am I still stuck with just three?

Question 2:

I'm assuming if I am an initiator archetype for a non-initiator class (6th level maneuver progression) and I prestige, getting full maneuver progression, if I go back into my original 6th level maneuver class, I'm bound by that maneuver level restriction again despite having higher level maneuvers from my prestige class. Is my understanding correct?
    If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it.

Homebrew
    [WIP] Scaled Tyrant - Path of War Dragon based discipline.

Campaigns I am in:
    We Be Best Goblins! as Ragnok the Titleless
    Land of the Endless Sky as Azrael (previously Nualia)

24. - Top - End - #954

Quote Originally Posted by CGNefarious View Post
    If I'm an initiator archetype for a non-initiator class that has access to three disciplines (disciplines A, B, and C) and I enter a prestige class that offers maneuvers from two disciplines (disciplines A and B) and then two disciplines that were previously available to me, do I add a fourth discipline that I get access to, or am I still stuck with just three?
    RAW, you're still stuck with discipline A, B and C. Entering the PrC doesn't grant you access to discipline D, regardless of whether you at one point potentially could have chosen D as one of the disciplines of the maneuver-granting option you used to qualify for the PrC, and regardless of which kind of maneuver-granting option that happens to be (initiator class, initiator archetype of non-initiator class, Martial Training feats, whatever). This would've been true even had the PrC said you could gain maneuvers from A, B and all other disciplines previously available to you through your qualifying maneuver-granting option.

IOW, for the PrC to grant you maneuvers of disciplines A, B, C and D, you'd need to retrain your initiator archetype's Maneuvers feature, choosing discipline D instead of A or B.

I don't see how the RAW allows for any other interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by CGNefarious View Post
    I'm assuming if I am an initiator archetype for a non-initiator class (6th level maneuver progression) and I prestige, getting full maneuver progression, if I go back into my original 6th level maneuver class, I'm bound by that maneuver level restriction again despite having higher level maneuvers from my prestige class. Is my understanding correct?
    RAW, yes. (I seem to remember this question was also answered by a PoW writer here on GitP pretty recently, but my quick search didn't turn up anything.)

25. - Top - End - #955
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. So, is Mixed Blood a FEAT or a TRAIT?

26. - Top - End - #956

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Q. So, is Mixed Blood a FEAT or a TRAIT?
    The Mixed Blood trait is intended to allow characters to access heritage feats and some other abilities. In the first printing of Bloodforge, this trait was originally a feat, but extensive feedback and testing after the book's release led us to tweak and rebalance it to function as a trait instead. When the original feat appears in other Dreamscarred Press books, one should defer to Bloodforge for its function.
    Last edited by Kaidinah; 2017-08-09 at 02:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut View Post
    Akashic Mysteries

The Horselord's Greaves veil lists the Daevic and Vizier as having access to it, but the Veil List shows Daevic and Guru. I know full descriptions usually trump table entries, but does anyone know if Daevic/Vizier is correct?
    Daevic/Vizier is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    Q: Does a Dread taking the Swarm Master archetype from Akashic Mysteries still keep their power points even though they can't manifest anymore?
    Yes. They use these for their terrors.

Follow-up Q: Is the Swarm Master's Swam Form ability at-will? It doesn't list a per day limit unlike the Shadow Twin class feature it replaces.
    It can be used a total number of minutes per day equal to his class level. These minutes do not need to be consecutive.

28. - Top - End - #958

RangerGuy

Path of War

Acrobatic Gambit: The warlord makes an Acrobatics check to move through a creature’s threatened area without provoking attacks of opportunity.

What if the creature doesn't has a threatened area? Be it a Tiny creature or an unarmed character. Does the Warlord gets the gambit’s rake?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

29. - Top - End - #959

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Path of War

Acrobatic Gambit: The warlord makes an Acrobatics check to move through a creature’s threatened area without provoking attacks of opportunity.

What if the creature doesn't has a threatened area? Be it a Tiny creature or an unarmed character. Does the Warlord gets the gambit’s rake?
    You wasted your swift action. The gambit only has effects if it is triggered, if you don't move through a threatened area you aren't making the check, and if you don't make a check you can't benefit or suffer a rake from the gambit.

30. - Top - End - #960

Would love to see an archetype for that Vampire hunter class in the World of Vampire Hunter D supplement. One that gets native access to Unquiet Grave and lots of vampire goodness. It's almost that time of year anyways.