New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Default The Clash of the Titans

The revelation that there are no children in Erfworld got me going on a train of thought. First off, if there are no children in Erfworld, then there is absolutely no need for mammary glands(breasts). Of course one could argue that breasts are dual pupose, one of the functions happen to involve sexual attraction which would be useful in this world. However, the signal of sexual attraction relating to breasts is in itself a indicator of ability to rear children, which has already been pointed out not to exist. So basically breasts should have absolutely no function in this world and shouldn't exist.

So from this we can induce that the titans or some other similar creator would have had to create creatures with breasts to emulate a feature on their own planet or plane of existence. Yet why would any creator make a world that wasn't internal consistant with itself? My guess is so that things would still seem safe and familar to either the titans or someone else from outside when they involve themselves in the world as it's creation. They didn't build a world to emulate an entire reality, but only that parts of it which the titans or outside users would find interesting. In other words, they didn't build erfworld as a simulation, but as a game.

So now we know that the references to strategy games wasn't just stuff that evolved by coincidence but rather clues to the nature of this universe, we have to ask ourselves who is this a game for? If it's for the titans themselves, then where are they? Are the overlords not who they appear to be, but actually titans taking on roles in the world they created, and they only pretend to be ignorant of the true nature of the universe they live in? Perhaps the overlords really are ignorant of the world in which they live, but don't have the free will which they are under the illusion of having. Perhaps the titans take on the role of the Arkentools, who are manipulating their possessors to persue certain courses of action. Maybe even the Arkenpliers are really manipulating Lord Ansom even though they aren't even attuned to him.

The other possibilty is that the Titans didn't build the universe for themselves but for some other group. Parson could be one of them, but the world doesn't seem specifically tailored to him personally. Perhaps the intended users of the game haven't shown up yet, and the game will evolve a while before the players take their spot. It's may be a persistant world game that exists whether the players are there or not. Maybe the game is still undergoing beta testing and reality will change without anyone but Parson taking notice of such changes.

Anyone hava an other ideas as to the true nature of Erfworld reality?
    Last edited by Glome; 2007-04-24 at 03:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: The Clash of the Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Glome View Post
    The revelation that there are no children in Erfworld got me going on a train of thought. First off, if there are no children in Erfworld, then there is absolutely no need for mammary glands(breasts). Of course one could argue that breasts are dual pupose, one of the functions happen to involve sexual attraction which would be useful in this world. However, the signal of sexual attraction relating to breasts is in itself a indicator of ability to rear children, which has already been pointed out not to exist. So basically breasts should have absolutely no function in this world and shouldn't exist.

So from this we can induce that the titans or some other similar creator would have had to create creatures with breasts to emulate a feature on their own planet or plane of existence. Yet why would any creator make a world that wasn't internal consistant with itself? My guess is so that things would still seem safe and familar to either the titans or someone else from outside when they involve themselves in the world as it's creation. They didn't build a world to emulate an entire reality, but only that parts of it which the titans or outside users would find interesting. In other words, they didn't build erfworld as a simulation, but as a game.

So now we know that the references to strategy games wasn't just stuff that evolved by coincidence but rather clues to the nature of this universe, we have to ask ourselves who is this a game for? If it's for the titans themselves, then where are they? Are the overlords not who they appear to be, but actually titans taking on roles in the world they created, and they only pretend to be ignorant of the true nature of the universe they live in? Perhaps the overlords really are ignorant of the world in which they live, but don't have the free will which they are under the illusion of having. Perhaps the titans take on the role of the Arkentools, who are manipulating their possessors to persue certain courses of action. Maybe even the Arkenpliers are really manipulating Lord Ansom even though they aren't even attuned to him.

The other possibilty is that the Titans didn't build the universe for themselves but for some other group. Parson could be one of them, but the world doesn't seem specifically tailored to him personally. Perhaps the intended users of the game haven't shown up yet, and the game will evolve a while before the players take their spot. It's may be a persistant world game that exists whether the players are there or not. Maybe the game is still undergoing beta testing and reality will change without anyone but Parson taking notice of such changes.

Anyone hava an other ideas as to the true nature of Erfworld reality?
    I am going out on a limb now, but i think you have thought about this a little to much. Maybe the girls on this comic have boobs so yoyu know their girls and thats it. Oh and just cause you cant make babies doesnt mean you dont want sex. Their is probly no deep explanation as to why the girls have boobs

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have to admire anybody who can make an entire running commentary on the presence of boobs in a webcomic.

Glome, I salute you.

(The titan stuff was interesting, too!)
    Noble Axeman of the Roy fanclub. Why?

Look at this face. That's why. That is one awesome face!

" MAMA'S BOY!"- Kefka cosplayer to Sephiroth cosplayer.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Divine boredom may be responsible for a great deal of reality...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

even if they're just spawned they're still women.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You read way too much into this stuff.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would guess that the females in the story have breasts, but don't have nipples. Just like a Barbie doll.

Erfworld is full of teddy-bears, and other childrens toys... I think it might be safe to guess that the population's sexual anatomy is no more detailed than a child's toy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Check the sig.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." - Freud
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    I think it might be safe to guess that the population's sexual anatomy is no more detailed than a child's toy.
    If so, then which part of Mung was "standing at attention" before the rest of him? (IIRC, Glome noted that on another thread.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Parson: "No children? Then what do you need boobs for?"

Wanda: "Boobs?"

Parson: "Breasts. The floaty things on your chest."

Wanda: "Oh! Those. That's an odd thing to ask about. We... we don't talk about that much."

Later in Parson's Klog:
    "Wanda ducked question about her origin."
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    If so, then which part of Mung was "standing at attention" before the rest of him? (IIRC, Glome noted that on another thread.)
    Well that pokes a hole in my theory