New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Core Component: New Terms

Night 3 Over

Whoops. Sorry about the long night folks. I just completely forgot.

- - - Updated - - -

Advent 4th Week

Those with pollen allergies really had a hard time this week as a great many things you'd never been exposed to were blooming. For everyone else it was very pretty and colorful if you bothered to go outside.
    Oh were you expecting something relating to you guys yourselves? Well too bad, nobody did much of anything as far as you're aware. Though one of you does wind up missing a cupcake everyone else got with Molkim's dinner. You know who you are. Apparently someone or something else does too.

Blood Magic

Edred stands at the front of the classroom, sharping a knife. The tables, desks and chairs that normally fill the room are gone. In their place are a number of small tables in a circle around the outside of the room, with knives similar to Edred's. When the students have all entered, he slips the knife into the belt of his robes and addresses the students.

"Today we are going to work on our knifesmanship. If you ever find yourself in a pinch, it's useful to know how to take enough blood from yourself without taking too much or hurting yourself unnecessarily. Over the next few days we'll shift to more aggressive skills. Taking blood from an enemy is generally preferable to taking it from yourself, after all. Some of you may also appreciate the other uses for the skills you'll be learning: a knife in the dark is a useful way of getting rid of someone without using magic that could be noticed."

"Towards the end of the week we will move away from physical knives and begin working on magical alternatives. The knowledge of where and how to cut and stab is the same whether you are using an actual knife or magically cutting your victim. Overall, the idea is now that you know the basics of how to use blood, you need to learn the best ways to get it."

"Fair warning: this week is likely to be pretty bloody. I can heal most of what you're likely to do to yourselves and each other, plus I have more healers on standby in case someone overdoes it. But this is not going to be a class for the faint of heart."

Spell: Blood Drain

Witchcraft

A spiderling glides down from a branch to rest on Zien Ashar's head. He doesn't seem to notice as he stirs a strange, thick blue liquid which simmered and glowed. Noticing the students and the time, he gently passes a hand in front of the spiderling and coaxes the creature onto it with his other hand.

"Poisons are useful for a multitude of things, yet before one even begins to consider the applications one should first learn what to do when something goes awry." Zien watches the spiderling intently as it crawls over his hand. "Most times, one will not find oneself poisoned by creatures as long as one knows how to handle them, but..." Zien gently places the spider on a nearby bush and fixes the classroom with a stern gaze. "Even the most careful of witches have at some point or other required an antidote for any number of reasons. Fools in particular often seem to need an antidote, and if they have something you need..." He grins knowingly at the students.

Zien waves a hand at a large snake coiled peacefully in the corner of the room. "For weak or diluted poisons you can cure with magic alone. Kara's poison is quite potent but I have prepared some vials of diluted venom enchanted to make it obvious when the poison has been successfully nullified." Zien lifts a vial of cloudy green liquid, "This is what the poisonous vials look like. When they are as clear as water, they're safe." Zien folds his fan and sweeps his arm in an arch, sending identical vials floating gently toward the students.

Spell: Antidote

Class President: BasketOfPuppies

Ok nobody answered last time so from now on I'm just assuming you all know you get two (2) research points at the start of each day phase.

Teachers

Player Character Class
    Aventine Edred Blood Magic
    Rain Dragon Zien Ashar Witchcraft
    BourgeoisJerry Hollie Stainthorpe Hydromancy
    ThePhantom Maxfield Tenou Aeromancy

Students

Player Character Status When?
    Duck999 Bob Attending
    C'nor Hunter Martell Attending
    cardrian Leon Kuruth Attending
    Lex-Kat Calissa de Monte Attending
    Elenna Julia Bailey Attending
    Bladescape Faelyn of House Caldar Attending
    Xihirli Xihirli the Malevolence Attending
    Haruki-kun Parry Hotter Attending
    Deathslayer7 Robert Hammerstone Attending
    IamL Adlai Attending
    BasketOfPuppies Tiny, Spot, Rex, & Bongo Attending
    Penguinator Godric McDane Attending
    Flaming Eagle Sweeney Snowstomper Attending
    Sprig Kira McDiarmid Attending
    Helgraf Rengraf Helfield Attending
    Queen of Thorns Queen Attending

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Chart
    Show
    Because I like charts....
    Character Player Aeromancy Blood Magic Hydromancy Witchcraft Other Missed
    Adlai IamL X4
    Bob Duck999 H2 W X
    Calissa de Monte Lex-Kat H2 W2
    Faelyn of House Caldar bladescape A B2 Dark Culinary
    Godric McDane Penguinator H2 W2
    Hunter Martell C'Nor B H W X
    Julia Bailey Elenna H2 W2
    Kira McDiarmid Sprig A B2 Dark Culinary
    Leon Kuruth cardrian A B2 Dark Culinary
    Parry Hotter Haruki-Kun B X3
    Queen Queen of Thorns B2 H X
    Rengraf Helfield Helgraf H2 W2
    Robert Hammerstone Deathslayer7 A B2 Dark Culinary
    Sweeney Snowstomper Flaming Eagle B2 W Dark Culinary
    Tiny, Spot, Rex, & Bongo BasketofPuppies B2 H W
    Xihirli the Malevolence Xihirli B2 H W

Calissa de Monte stands outside of Zien Ashar's Witchcraft class, back against the wall. She is pale and shivering, her eyes closed as she waits.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2015-07-28 at 11:35 PM.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Godric had been the first in the Witchcraft classroom that day. Having hunted with his tribe, he was used to seeing poisons and their effects. The magic that the professor used seemed a lot more potent than the herbal solution that his shaman had sworn by.

(Attending Witchcraft)

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Halfling in the Playground

The pups had managed the long and arduous task of coaxing Bongo out of their basket and into Blood Magic, a class he seemed to thoroughly enjoy. He still walks with his head held low, but he is improving. They walk into Blood Magic together and sit at their desk for Edred's introduction. Afterwards Tiny approaches:

Excuse me, Edred, does the manner of blood gathering matter? I only ask since we pups don't seem to have thumbs, so no knives, but we do have teeth and claws.

Attending Blood Magic.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hollie enters Maxfield's office to discuss matters with him, "Good afternoon, Mr. Tenou. In case you haven't heard, there was a bit of an... issue... with the class president last week. Well, a quarter of the class president. Apparently they somehow got their paws on a spider potion. Do you have any idea how that could have happened?"

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

{Attending Blood Magic.}

Sweeney walks into the class. She's aware that this class will be very useful for her purposes, but her reason being here is also as a way to keep an eye on the pups.

She goes to sit by the pups and maybe let Bongo sit on her lap if he so desired when the question on claws comes up. She immediately sits down and pays attention, smiling a bit to herself. Very useful, indeed. She's beginning to agree with the ol' geezer who sent her here.

7. - Top - End - #367

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    {Attending Blood Magic.}

Sweeney walks into the class. She's aware that this class will be very useful for her purposes, but her reason being here is also as a way to keep an eye on the pups.

She goes to sit by the pups and maybe let Bongo sit on her lap if he so desired when the question on claws comes up. She immediately sits down and pays attention, smiling a bit to herself. Very useful, indeed. She's beginning to agree with the ol' geezer who sent her here.
    Bongo immediately seizes the opportunity, crawling into her lap, hoping for pets and ear scritches.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

Bongo gets his wish! The dwarven girl of the wilds makes sure to pamper Bongo with pets and ear scritches throughout the class. "How're ya holdin' up?"

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Upon seeing the classes for the week, Julia turns to Hunter with a question. Why do we keep having Blood Magic and Dark classes here? Isn't that evil?

((Because it's totally the kind of thing a peasant girl with pretty much no knowledge of the rest of the world would say. The opening narration stated that the acceptance of witches and blood magic was relatively recent.))

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    Calissa de Monte stands outside of Zen Ashar's Witchcraft class, back against the wall. She is pale and shivering, her eyes closed as she waits.
    Julia is about to enter the Witchcraft classroom when she sees Calissa. Are you okay? What happened?. She gives Calissa a hug, if the other girl is okay with it.

((EDIT: I certainly never said it was Hydromancy. Nope. You saw nothing. ))
    Last edited by Elenna; 2015-07-24 at 01:13 PM.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

10. - Top - End - #370

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    Bongo gets his wish! The dwarven girl of the wilds makes sure to pamper Bongo with pets and ear scritches throughout the class. "How're ya holdin' up?"
    Ok, I guess. I just.. Need some time to get over last week. Are you good?

Extended Sig

Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BourgeoisJerry View Post
    Hollie enters Maxfield's office to discuss matters with him, "Good afternoon, Mr. Tenou. In case you haven't heard, there was a bit of an... issue... with the class president last week. Well, a quarter of the class president. Apparently they somehow got their paws on a spider potion. Do you have any idea how that could have happened?"
    Maxfield looks up from the scroll he was going though as Hollie comes in.

"Well, given that Zien Ashar is the expert on potions in this school, my guess is that he decided to give a little gift out. Seems straight forward enough, if a bit unkind to give out a potion without labeling it more clearly. He might have been wanting to see what would happen, that happens with him sometimes."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

"Yea... as long as you lads are. Godric's in witchcraft class, maybe he'll learn somethin' to prevent another occurrence."

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

((Attending Blood Magic.))

Xihirli's eyes were almost totally healed at this point, only bleeding about two fluid ounces a day. He found the teacher and smiled.
    "Hey, I used your spell and at first everything seemed to be going wrong, but then I got a whole bunch of extra blood that the Nurse said I'd lost. She let me keep it in a bag!"
    So saying, he found a seat and stared forward, at the edge of his seat and eager to learn how to keep casting Blood Magic.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Julia is about to enter the Hydromancy Witchcraft(?) classroom when she sees Calissa. Are you okay? What happened? She gives Calissa a hug, if the other girl is okay with it.
    Calissa is hugged, as she never refuses those. "Th-there's a sp-spider in the classroom. I-it's the teacher's, I think."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Sprig
    Guest in the Playground

"Knife work! Now you're talking!" Kira uncliped the knives that were attached to her breastplate nipples and spun them around in her hands with a mastery that was somewhat surprising due to her lack of tidiness and diligence! "You have my attention Master Edred, who do I need to dual? Don't put me up against one of the pups, that would be unfair!"

(Attending Blood Magic)
    Last edited by Sprig; 2015-07-23 at 09:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Maxfield looks up from the scroll he was going though as Hollie comes in.

"Well, given that Zien Ashar is the expert on potions in this school, my guess is that he decided to give a little gift out. Seems straight forward enough, if a bit unkind to give out a potion without labeling it more clearly. He might have been wanting to see what would happen, that happens with him sometimes."
    "I have considered Ashar, but he is far from the only option. I understand that Stanton's sister is also an expert in that field. I've also heard that she visited the academy not long ago, and thought perhaps you might know something about that. She certainly had some reason for being here aside from spending time with her brother, otherwise she would have stayed longer."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Calissa de Monte stands outside of Zien Ashar's Witchcraft class, back against the wall. She is pale and shivering, her eyes closed as she waits.
    Julia is about to enter the classroom when she sees Calissa. Are you okay? What happened?. She gives Calissa a hug, if the other girl is okay with it.
    Calissa is hugged, as she never refuses those. "Th-there's a sp-spider in the classroom. I-it's the teacher's, I think."
    --OOC--
    ((Curious, did Calissa pop into the classroom briefly then leave? Or pop her head around the corner a little after class started and disappeared? I don't want to assume, but was thinking about RPing a response. ^^))
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

((Calissa walked into the classroom, following a certain boy she had had a crush on, then saw something crawling on the instructors hand. Immediately freaking out, she swiftly ducked back out of the room.

Should have put all that into my first post of the day. Sorry.))
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2015-07-23 at 09:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

((Calissa walked into the classroom, following a certain boy she had had a crush on, then saw something crawling on the instructors hand. Immediately freaking out, she swiftly ducked back out of the room.

Should have put all that into my first post of the day. Sorry.))
    ((OOC - All is well!))

Zien Ashar ensured the other students were settled before heading to the doorway while fanning himself with his folding fan. One could easily imagine him grumbling about the heat again though in truth he was more curious about a certain student's speedy exit. In full knowledge some find certain aspects of Witchcraft less pleasant, he'd left any arachnids, snakes, potion ingredients and such on the floor next to his hammock. In the doorway, he kept one eye on the class as he looked around to see whether Calissa was still around. He didn't feel he could leave the classroom quite yet, especially being the first class for the week.

((OOC - Prof. Ashar can of course arrive after Julia and Calissa discuss things. (Time bubbles, anyone?) Or during. Up to you. ))

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Oh! That's... not good. At least it's not a giant spider... right? Inside, Julia is quite angry at the teacher for bringing spiders in right after Calissa was so scared last week, but she tries to keep her voice soothing and humorous.
    She hesitates briefly. Uh...do you want to go to the other class?

((Julia's mostly used to ordinary spiders - it's just pup-sized ones she has problems with. I'm not sure how big Bongo is, but I'm sure he's bigger than the average spider. However, she will probably be going to whichever class Calissa ends up going to.

I'm assuming Hunter mostly convinced Julia that Blood Magic is not actually evil, but old beliefs are hard to change.))

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    ((OOC - Prof. Ashar can of course arrive after Julia and Calissa discuss things. (Time bubbles, anyone?) Or during. Up to you. ))
    ((Time bubbles are fun! If Julia does end up going to Witchcraft, I'm just going to assume she somehow heard the lecture through some kind of magic time-stretching. ))
    Last edited by Elenna; 2015-07-23 at 10:54 PM.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

((Time bubbles are fun! If Julia does end up going to Witchcraft, I'm just going to assume she somehow heard the lecture through some kind of magic time-stretching. ))
    ((OOC - I meant labeling RP that happens at different time but is OOC RP'd at the same time. If they do end up going to Witchcraft the whole thing lasts a week and I assume this is just the first class of it, so it shouldn't require magic to play catchup!))

22. - Top - End - #382
    Pixie in the Playground

Queen enters the Blood Magic classroom and walks over to the pups, hoping to build a better relation with them.

She speaks to the ones who aren't sitting in someone's lap.
    "It's nice to see you."

((Attending Blood Magic))
    Last edited by Queen of Thorns; 2015-07-24 at 06:41 AM.
    Queen Buttercup avatar by the ever-generous Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #383

I'm not sure how big Bongo is, but I'm sure he's bigger than the average spider.
    Bongo is about 1.5 feet long. Rex and Spot are about a foot long each, while Tiny is only half a foot long.

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #384
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    The pups had managed the long and arduous task of coaxing Bongo out of their basket and into Blood Magic, a class he seemed to thoroughly enjoy. He still walks with his head held low, but he is improving. They walk into Blood Magic together and sit at their desk for Edred's introduction. Afterwards Tiny approaches:

Excuse me, Edred, does the manner of blood gathering matter? I only ask since we pups don't seem to have thumbs, so no knives, but we do have teeth and claws.

Attending Blood Magic.
    "Teeth and claws will do nicely, though there's not much I can teach you there. Really, the knives themselves are rather unimportant. What matters is knowing how to draw blood, and learning to be comfortable doing it. Some of the students here know how to handle a weapon..." (He looks over at Kira) "...but there are others who are rather more innocent. Anyone who's not comfortable with violence and causing pain will not find my classes very enjoyable. Even at its most benign, or even benevolent, blood magic tends towards pain and unpleasantness. My job is to desensitize my students to that, and teach a few useful practical tricks in the process."

"As for you pups, I'm guessing you already know a thing or two about that from hunting and are ready to get started early on the magic that I will be introducing more formally later in the week."

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    ((Attending Blood Magic.))

Xihirli's eyes were almost totally healed at this point, only bleeding about two fluid ounces a day. He found the teacher and smiled.
    "Hey, I used your spell and at first everything seemed to be going wrong, but then I got a whole bunch of extra blood that the Nurse said I'd lost. She let me keep it in a bag!"
    So saying, he found a seat and stared forward, at the edge of his seat and eager to learn how to keep casting Blood Magic.
    "So, what you're saying is that at first everything went wrong, but then it continued to go wrong? Sounds about right. Remember people, if you don't know what you are doing you are likely to end up with large quantities of blood streaming out of your eyes. If that doesn't sound appealing, then make sure you have someone who does know what they are doing supervising you."

"Ah, who am I kidding, you guys are going to be doing lots of unsupervised practicing. Just try not to kill yourselves."

Quote Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
    "Knife work! Now you're talking!" Kira uncliped the knives that were attached to her breastplate nipples and spun them around in her hands with a mastery that was somewhat surprising due to her lack of tidiness and diligence! "You have my attention Master Edred, who do I need to dual? Don't put me up against one of the pups, that would be unfair!"
    "Well, Xihirli seems to enjoy losing blood. Try not to make too much of a mess for me."

"On a more serious note, I should probably add you to the list of people to get started on the magic early. I'll also get you in touch with one of the dueling clubs if you want. Most prefer to focus on magical dueling, but a few use blades."

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Godric was working on his vial, trying to dispel the poison. It wasn't as murky, but it had started to turn orange. Oh, well. He had all week to figure it out. There was one thing that bothered him, though. "Professor, I'm curious. Ye said that magic alone could cure weak poisons. What do ye do in addition fer a strong poison?" He thought that perhaps there was a stronger spell that could cure more potent poisons, but figured that it was beyond his level of experience. With that in mind, it couldn't hurt to have more knowledge.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Penguinator
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    Godric was working on his vial, trying to dispel the poison. It wasn't as murky, but it had started to turn orange. Oh, well. He had all week to figure it out. There was one thing that bothered him, though. "Professor, I'm curious. Ye said that magic alone could cure weak poisons. What do ye do in addition fer a strong poison?" He thought that perhaps there was a stronger spell that could cure more potent poisons, but figured that it was beyond his level of experience. With that in mind, it couldn't hurt to have more knowledge.

Zien closed the hefty tome he'd been reading with a flick of his fan. Godric seemed sharp, though Zien hadn't expected to see an orange vial before him. Still, there was plenty of time left and potentially orange was a good start. It was certainly better than some of the other attempts, as evidenced by the green smoke which oozed out of one student's vial. "Typically a potion. Later this class, perhaps tomorrow, we shall cover the basics of potion brewing and an antidote recipe which requires this spell to work. Most antidotes use the same spell, though some need much stronger variants of this spell." Zien replies. A quick spell later and some replacement vials floated toward students who needed them.

Zien noted, "A lot of antidote recipes may seem surprising, when we get to them. An important part of antidotes is the poisoned one's own energies. This is another reason why selecting the right poison is very important lest one attempt to create one that is beyond their limits if something were to go awry."
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2015-07-24 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Some parts were incoherent. Oops.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Orc in the Playground

Sweeney begrudgingly lets Queen pat Bongo, assuming he wants to be petted by her, though.

"Nice t' see you too." She says through gritted teeth. At least this Queen came to attempt to mend fences. It'd take more than that, but at least she tried.

Then the teacher speaks and she listens as she keeps petting and fussing over Bongo with one hand, the other hand taking notes. "I have t' say, mistah, I love this class already." She can't resist saying, a grin on her face. She'll need to perfect learning to draw blood with a knife, but she has a lot of experience with claws.

She used to hate the idea of causing pain. Her first few transformations and a few months in the wild got rid of that hatred and replaced it with a knowing of the fact that it needs to be done sometimes. Best to know how to do it efficiently, in case that Kira decides to try something again.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

{Day 1 of Week 3}

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Zien Ashar ensured the other students were settled before heading to the doorway while fanning himself with his folding fan. One could easily imagine him grumbling about the heat again though in truth he was more curious about a certain student's speedy exit. In full knowledge some find certain aspects of Witchcraft less pleasant, he'd left any arachnids, snakes, potion ingredients and such on the floor next to his hammock. In the doorway, he kept one eye on the class as he looked around to see whether Calissa was still around. He didn't feel he could leave the classroom quite yet, especially being the first class for the week.
    ((I'm thinking during.))

Oh! That's... not good. At least it's not a giant spider... right? Inside, Julia is quite angry at the teacher for bringing spiders in right after Calissa was so scared last week, but she tries to keep her voice soothing and humorous.

She hesitates briefly. Uh...do you want to go to the other class?
    Calissa visibly relaxes as Julia speaks to her. "I do, but momma says to stay away from Blood Magic. She said I'll become even more...." at his point, Calissa touches a fingertip to one of her horns. "Horny. Besides, it looked like we'd be studying potions this week. Maybe something good will come of it." she looks to the door. "Do you think the spider's gone?"

29. - Top - End - #389

Bongo allowed the Queen to pet him. As he does that, Tiny, Rex, and Spot pore over the notes, attempting to substitute knives for claws and teeth.

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Robert sits down near the pups. He doesn't touch the knife though. He already knew how to draw blood without killing himself. His arms and hands were proof of that. But it never hurt to learn how to make it more efficient. He knew the motions well enough, but sometimes you just needed more, and sometimes you just needed less. He never really knew there was an art to it. He makes some mental notes for himself before looking over to the pups.

You know, claws and teeth don't make it easy to draw blood. Perhaps one of you should invest in a spiked collar. he suggests. At that point, you only need to scratch yourself while the other one holds still.

Attending Blood Magic, Lynch Penguinator
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2015-07-24 at 09:58 AM.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.