New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Dark Matter scyfy series

Spoiler
    Show
    Liked some of those theories but if they're clones where are the originals?

Shouldn't they be able to tell the difference?

The theory regarding Five is interesting, but what caused the distress call and who is this Cyrus fellow?

Any word if this series might have a second season or are we looking at another Firefly?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

No word yet either way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a thought but what if the Raza is a convict ship its prisoners used as host bodies or operatives working off their sentence by doing work for their warden?

Not likely but unless that's the ship Six stole who was that distress call being sent to and why?

Cyrus again?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

We're learning more about the characters. Still to learn about is Two and Android (why attack the group when first activated). We only know partials about Three and Five. Once we know everything about them or at least just enough and in theory who wiped their memories, why, and they get them back, would the show still be interesting to watch for those of us who are interested?

Not that my record of theories is any good , but what's left? The crew chooses to Right their Wrongs. They help Four gain the throne. They help Six get the General. Three is proven innocent, and they help One get the true murderer. All of this and the others' back stories would be the plots of season 2. Is it enough after The Mystery is resolved? Is The Mystery strong enough not to be resolved this season?
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

It could be all the mysteries will be wrapped up in season 1, and maybe season 2 will have a different hook (presuming there is a season 2, of course).

I don't think the loss of the mystery would kill the show for me, though. I like stories that are character driven and these are interesting characters so far.

As far as episode nine, though, my thoughts are:

Four is a scary guy.

Android needs a hug.

Spoiler
    Show
    Three crying while reading Charlotte's Web was pretty funny.

And it ends with a cliffhanger. Guess we're about to see what their ship can do, combat-wise.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Three crying while reading Charlotte's Web was pretty funny.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a common trope for the tough guy to have a scene crying over something mushy. It's done for laughs. When they're serious about showing the tough guy having emotions and empathy, you get the previous episode of him falling in love and caring about a woman with a fatal disease and get upset when she dies even after losing his memory of her.
    Last edited by Pex; 2015-08-09 at 11:13 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Man, another cliffhanger!

Spoiler: Episode 10
    Show
    Always great to see Tori Higginson again.

Three's confidence in Five's abilities is actually pretty cute. Also, Five got to prove her worth to the team.

Three gave up the password? Is he going soft or does he have a plan?

I'm guessing Two will survive the decompression, because of her healing factor.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler
    Show
    Remembering the axiom "no honour among thieves" could have saved some trouble here.

That's going to have to be a damn strong healing factor. I don't know if Wolverine could even survive the vacuum of space.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-08-15 at 05:15 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, another cliffhanger!
    I wasn't looking at the very end, thought it stopped early and was annoyed.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Typical Three had to be the one to cave and give up the password. In one sense it's nice that he's showing affection and friendship for his crew mates, but it's also part of the continuing pattern of the need to humiliate him and it's really starting to tick me off. I was really hoping for this instance they would go against trope and no one gave up the password. It was obvious the Bad Guy was going to put Two out the airlock anyway. If anyone would give up the password One or Five were the stereotypical choices to do so, but even they ultimately remained silent. They had to go with emasculating Three. Again.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Typical Three had to be the one to cave and give up the password. In one sense it's nice that he's showing affection and friendship for his crew mates, but it's also part of the continuing pattern of the need to humiliate him and it's really starting to tick me off. I was really hoping for this instance they would go against trope and no one gave up the password. It was obvious the Bad Guy was going to put Two out the airlock anyway. If anyone would give up the password One or Five were the stereotypical choices to do so, but even they ultimately remained silent. They had to go with emasculating Three. Again.
    You say it like showing he's not an uncaring jerk like he makes himself out to be is a bad thing. Seriously, I'm liking Three more and more now, whereas he really just irritated me early on. Being a macho jerk = being an inferior human being. Lately, he's become more genuinely attached to the crew and is showing that he does, in fact, have a heart. That can only be a good thing. I disagree that he's being emasculated.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, I do not get that at all. Him giving up the password was a good thing. It shows that they're all growing closer.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

It's not the act of giving up the password. It's that combined with all the other humiliations and getting the crap beat out of him. As I mentioned, he's Worf. To show the bad-assery of the villain of the week, Three has to get beaten up, humiliated, or otherwise knocked off his pedestal. He's not The Jerk to bring conflict but instead to be the butt of the joke. His Jerkitude looks foolish now precisely because you can't take him seriously. He never wins.

I'd rather there was no Jerk character at all from the beginning. Let Three be the tough guy but cooperative. Too late for that, but now they're getting close to too far. The humbleness regarding his sick girlfriend was great. That was story. A nice opportunity to show empathy under the tough guy image. Now, I'm almost wishing he really is guilty of killing One's wife and One fails.

Also, there's nothing wrong with being macho. Machismo has nothing to do with being a Jerk.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Three is Worf? I thought the Android was Worf/Data, and Three was Jayne.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-08-18 at 12:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Android is just a perfunctory obstacle to be overcome to take over the ship.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Now if someone is going to correct someone calling an android a robot, it just seems to me they should also specify "gynoid" for gynoids. I know I would.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm, so my guess was right - Two is an artificial life form.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I heard some speculation that she was made immortal by the virus, but I knew that was wrong.

But she's not an android. She's more like a bioengineered life form, with an additional healing factor supplied by nanites.

Also, that device was ... pretty scary. I wonder what the repurcussions will be.

I guess the first season wraps up with a two-hour finale this week. Looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-08-22 at 11:44 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 11
    Show
    Wow, I was right about Two surviving being spaced. Then she went ahead and took out half a dozen soldiers in full body armor. <3

The only thing I don't get is, when Two had the virus and she was scanned, why didn't it pick up that she was bioengineered? Is that something you have to scan for specifically?

Anyway, theories on what that device was? I'm guessing a dark matter bomb...which would explain the series' name, at least.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: Episode 11
    Show
    Wow, I was right about Two surviving being spaced. Then she went ahead and took out half a dozen soldiers in full body armor. <3

The only thing I don't get is, when Two had the virus and she was scanned, why didn't it pick up that she was bioengineered? Is that something you have to scan for specifically?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, she is still "human" - she posseses a heart, lung, kidneys and the rest. Unless all her organs came with a manufacturer's label, it's probably not something that would be immediately evident via a cursory scan.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-08-22 at 07:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thinking back to the scan was how I knew that my initial thought, which was "super advanced android" (which came to me in a dream, literally), was wrong. That's when I decided "artificial life form" was my guess. I knew she had to be biological rather than machine. And essentially, she's an artificially created and enhanced (by nanites and possibly other things) human.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    The Android suspected.
    The real question is wouldn't those nanites restore her memories?
    Maybe she did cause the amnesia because she wanted to forget her past, but didn't expect it to effect the others?
    Given what we've found out the rest of the crew are trustworthy maybe she didn't expect Five's presence and that's why they were all effected?
    Five hasn't mentioned seeing any of Two's memories so perhaps she still has them but hasn't reached the point they reemerge?

Regarding the device
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was some kind of black hole bomb?
    Need to find out where it came from if this was done using the Traveller rpg I'd go Ancients tech which would explain Two unless you tried the Hivers who're genetic engineering mad scientists!
    Did their patron suspect one of her two merc recruits would double cross her?
    That part seemed odd...

So has this been renewed yet?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2015-08-23 at 04:02 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, she is still "human" - she posseses a heart, lung, kidneys and the rest. Unless all her organs came with a manufacturer's label, it's probably not something that would be immediately evident via a cursory scan.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Specifically, though, I was wondering why the scan wouldn't pick up the nanites.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless
    So has this been renewed yet?
    No word yet, still.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I heard some speculation that she was made immortal by the virus, but I knew that was wrong.

But she's not an android. She's more like a bioengineered life form, with an additional healing factor supplied by nanites.

Also, that device was ... pretty scary. I wonder what the repurcussions will be.

I guess the first season wraps up with a two-hour finale this week. Looking forward to it.
    Same here. Thinking about it, this is easily the first new series they've come up with for several years that I've really wanted to see continue. Helix did itself in with the second season.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Secrets View Post
    Same here. Thinking about it, this is easily the first new series they've come up with for several years that I've really wanted to see continue.
    Yeah, SyFy's just airing it. They didn't come up with it.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

And yet they still have the brass to bill it as a Syfy original. Go figure.

Anyway, one day while sleep deprived I suddenly had a belated realization about the blindingly obvious reason that their ship is named the Raza.

Tada!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I assumed it was because Raza sounds cool.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-08-24 at 10:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    So is it the ship Six stole?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Specifically, though, I was wondering why the scan wouldn't pick up the nanites.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Android says that the scanner only scans for what's in the medical database. I imagine that nobody thought corrector nanites would be in a human body, so they left them out along with everything else that isn't some kind of disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So is it the ship Six stole?
    Spoiler: finale
    Show
    It is the one he betrayed and turned in.