New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Which is cooler? Ninja or samurai?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ninjas

115 53.99%
  • Samurais

98 46.01%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ninjas or samurai?

Wasn't Vader's armor created with samurai armor as an inspiration or something? If so, samurai win due to the awesomeness of the dark side.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Wasn't Vader's armor created with samurai armor as an inspiration or something? If so, samurai win due to the awesomeness of the dark side.

Join the Dark Side. We have cookies.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    ^^Yeah, Samurais don't have magic.

And to all you Narutards (read: Moon Called) it's all about Shikamaru
    Shikimaru, and shino. They are the cool, smart ones.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Blade of the Immortal>Naruto.

Samurai win.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

5. - Top - End - #65

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    No. Darth Vader was a ninja.

Actually, the same people could be samurai by day and ninja by night.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Ninja ftw!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCHfjrKA1CI

Youtube is law!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
    I agree. Who wants a dumb, powerful ninja when they can have an inhumanly smart ninja?

Uhh...I can't decide. I continue to think which anime has better fighters: Naruto or Rurouni Kenshin?
    Well considering how stupied all the Narutu characters all, i give it to Kenshin. Smart main character vs. fuking dumb one
    from,
    EE

8. - Top - End - #68

EvilClericGuy

Why does everyone bring up Naruto? He's not a ninja. Why? Let's review:

Ninja wear black and cover their faces. Naruto wears orange and lacks a mask.

Ninja are silent and invisible. Naruto is loud and impossible to overlook.

Ninja kill dozens of people before their first birthday. Naruto, as far as I know, hasn't killed anyone.

Naruto is like Squirrel Girl, he wins because of massive plot protection. He's more like a wizard than a ninja. Albeit, a dumb wizard with plot protection. He is possibly the least ninjalike character in existence.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

9. - Top - End - #69

A ninja is nothing more then a Samarai who has no honor.

Go Samurai!

Honestly, the only way to solve this is Seppeku. You go first.
    I'm usually late to the party, but it's a great time when I get there....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

10. - Top - End - #70

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Woot Spitum View Post
    Ninja are silent and invisible. Naruto is loud and impossible to overlook.
    Funny thing about that "art of invisibility". Japan is, like, the LAND of invisibility. Check it out: The Samurai is standing guard, and the mist comes up to his chest. So, the Ninja kneels. Now he's invisible. He throws shurikens at the samurai, which actually don't do much damage. If the Ninja knows his business, the shurikens slash the Samurai's flesh and glance off into the darkness and mist. But the Samurai can't see what's going on, so he gets freaked out by the "invisible swordsmen". The real damage done is to the Samurai's morale.
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    Funny thing about that "art of invisibility". Japan is, like, the LAND of invisibility. Check it out: The Samurai is standing guard, and the mist comes up to his chest. So, the Ninja kneels. Now he's invisible. He throws shurikens at the samurai, which actually don't do much damage. If the Ninja knows his business, the shurikens slash the Samurai's flesh and glance off into the darkness and mist. But the Samurai can't see what's going on, so he gets freaked out by the "invisible swordsmen". The real damage done is to the Samurai's morale.
    And that is why Ninja's have no honor. They are cowards, hiding behind clouds of smoke and mist. Not that it's not cool, being stealthy, but in that manner anyone with a sniper rifle hidden in the trees has the same advantage as the ninja. Courage is standing up to your opponent, face to face, so they know it's you attacking and you know it's them.

Plus, you assume that the Samarai would get freaked out. That they wouldn't expect something like this from Ninja's. I just don't see that happening, but then that's my assumption. And you know what they say about assumptions....

Put any Ninja against any Samarai in a swordfight, and I guarantee you the Samarai is the one walking away. Why? Because the time a Ninja would spend practicing being sneaky is the time a Samarai would hone the skills of a warrior.

In a way, you could equate the Samarai to the Spartan's in 300.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Summary:

12. - Top - End - #72

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    And that is why Ninja's have no honor. They are cowards, hiding behind clouds of smoke and mist. Not that it's not cool, being stealthy, but in that manner anyone with a sniper rifle hidden in the trees has the same advantage as the ninja. Courage is standing up to your opponent, face to face, so they know it's you attacking and you know it's them.

Plus, you assume that the Samarai would get freaked out. That they wouldn't expect something like this from Ninja's. I just don't see that happening, but then that's my assumption. And you know what they say about assumptions....

Put any Ninja against any Samarai in a swordfight, and I guarantee you the Samarai is the one walking away. Why? Because the time a Ninja would spend practicing being sneaky is the time a Samarai would hone the skills of a warrior.

In a way, you could equate the Samarai to the Spartan's in 300.
    Well, maybe "freaked out" was a bit of an exaggeration. "Unnerved" would probably be better.

Setting aside the historical inaccuracies of The Last Samurai, I did like one line that Algren had (quoting from memory, so I don't know if it's word for word): "From dawn until dusk these people dedicate themselves to the perfection of whatever they do."
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, what is true for pirates is probably also true for samurai.

When you are a samurai, and you are great at that job, you become famous. Even people who live centuries after you died remember your name.

When you are a ninja, no one knows you and no one remembers you, even when you are the greatest ninja that ever lived. Oh, look! I'm a ninja, I totally kick ass - and no one actually cares! People in a few years will actually even doubt that I ever existed! Wheee!

Seriously, when I would be really, really good at something I actually devoted my *entire life* to, then I want at least get some credit for that.

And I also prefer being honorful to being a coward, but maybe that's just me.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

Who cares about honor? When you shake the samurai in his little booties making him think "Jesus, that could be my kid who gets cut with shuriken!" and he knows you're just sociopathic enough to do it just to prove a point.

We ninja feed on your pain and tears.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

cool Re: Ninjas or samurai?

Well, as my name might suggest, I am a samurai nut , and from my point of view, Woot Spitum and Supagoof are the only ones who are making any sense. Those who don't care about honor or what is right or wrong are truely condemning themselves inside. That kind of selfish lack of consideration for others will eat away at anyone from the inside and will hurt anyone who comes in contact with them. But even these were not the views of the ninjas. Ninjas were normally used for secret attacks and assassinations. They often used a wide varriety of other varrious deadly weapons instead of devoting themselves to mastering any one skill, like samurai. Ninjas had no code of honor, which was the main courner stone of a samurai's life, and were one of the things that made them so reviered and respected. However the samurai code of honor was the aspect that held them back from modernizing, and eventually lead to their own dimise.

As far is ninjas, I DON'T KNOW WHY EVERYONE BASES ALL OF THEIR KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THEM ON NARUTO!!!!!! I mean honestly, it's a cartoon. There is no way in the world that any of that could be true! If you're gonna make an arguement, put a little effort into your knowledge about the subject first. (FYI I got nothing against Naruto, except the main character. MAN THAT GUY IS ANNOYING!!!)
    Last edited by Samurai Iesu; 2007-05-06 at 01:28 PM. Reason: PS

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    Well, maybe "freaked out" was a bit of an exaggeration. "Unnerved" would probably be better.

Setting aside the historical inaccuracies of The Last Samurai, I did like one line that Algren had (quoting from memory, so I don't know if it's word for word): "From dawn until dusk these people dedicate themselves to the perfection of whatever they do."

By historically inaccurate im sure you mean:

hey this is a cool story

yeah lets set it in a completely different country!

samurai = badass!

blegh

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

I have no idea what you are talking about by inaccuracies. It may not have actually happened like that, but the movie was actually based on the samurai rebellion back in the day. As far as the general story goes it didn't happen that way, but everything else is for the most part completely historically accurate.
    Darkness, it is all consuming nothingness, the absence of all light, keeping people from seeing the truth, and leaving them blind to the future. But in times of darkness, the smallest light can spread, and bring life to all of its surroundings. And though this light may be immersed in darkness, one day, it will break through. And though sometimes, the line between the two may be almost nonexistent, light will always prevail.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Iesu View Post
    Well, as my name might suggest, I am a samurai nut , and from my point of view, Woot Spitum and Supagoof are the only ones who are making any sense. Those who don't care about honor or what is right or wrong are truely condemning themselves inside. That kind of selfish lack of consideration for others will eat away at anyone from the inside and will hurt anyone who comes in contact with them. But even these were not the views of the ninjas. Ninjas were normally used for secret attacks and assassinations. They often used a wide varriety of other varrious deadly weapons instead of devoting themselves to mastering any one skill, like samurai. Ninjas had no code of honor, which was the main courner stone of a samurai's life, and were one of the things that made them so reviered and respected. However the samurai code of honor was the aspect that held them back from modernizing, and eventually lead to their own dimise.

As far is ninjas, I DON'T KNOW WHY EVERYONE BASES ALL OF THEIR KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THEM ON NARUTO!!!!!! I mean honestly, it's a cartoon. There is no way in the world that any of that could be true! If you're gonna make an arguement, put a little effort into your knowledge about the subject first. (FYI I got nothing against Naruto, except the main character. MAN THAT GUY IS ANNOYING!!!)
    My point exactly.
    I have no friends; I make my Mind my Friend.
    I have no enemy; I make Incautiousness my Enemy.
    I have no castle; I make Immovable Mind my Castle.
    I have no principles; I make Adaptability to all circumstances my Principle.
    I have no laws; I make Self-Protection my Laws.
    I have no sword; I make No Mind my Sword.

-The Samurai Creed

Even in the darkest places you will find a friend.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

Awesome!!! Another samurai guy! XD I'm glad you agree with me dude.
    Darkness, it is all consuming nothingness, the absence of all light, keeping people from seeing the truth, and leaving them blind to the future. But in times of darkness, the smallest light can spread, and bring life to all of its surroundings. And though this light may be immersed in darkness, one day, it will break through. And though sometimes, the line between the two may be almost nonexistent, light will always prevail.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Halfling in the Playground

We must bring back feudal Japan!
    I have no friends; I make my Mind my Friend.
    I have no enemy; I make Incautiousness my Enemy.
    I have no castle; I make Immovable Mind my Castle.
    I have no principles; I make Adaptability to all circumstances my Principle.
    I have no laws; I make Self-Protection my Laws.
    I have no sword; I make No Mind my Sword.

-The Samurai Creed

Even in the darkest places you will find a friend.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Banned

Isn't this bassicaly the pinnacle of samurai in fiction?

And if it is The Koga will join the samurai side, Judge Dredd is friggin badass. A judge is trained for fifteen years of sheer toture to become more of a machine then a man. Not all judges think alike, but they are created via geneitic engineering to best optimize thier body and minds by mixing and matching differant dna compounds. Almost like..

"DNA structure X mixed with Y isn't so good, but if we put X in with B we get an awesome dredd!"
    Last edited by Koga; 2007-05-08 at 12:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

I have no idea how to make links.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=khS4zlinxk0
    The ninja will tell you what happens to those who think samurai are better.
    Hint: He thinks you're stupid.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rigel- "You have, like, eight threads open! You're like a binge-reader or something!"
    Me- "Ten. Shush, I Just found a cool thread!"
    Rigel- "Do you even ever post?"
    Me- "No. Ooh, 'Bad times to roll a natural 20'? Greatest Jedi ever poll? Cool!"
    Rigel- "Binge-lurker, I say!"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

I have gotten a mother's day card for my mom on the lines of this topic. On the cover there is a small boy saying that there are nunjas coming ot get him. His mother is saying that it is a good thing they invited the samurai over for dinner.

I was reminded of this, so I had to post.

Because I assume Hallmark is the undisputed authority on all things martial arts, I have to vote samurai, otherwise why would they invite one over to dinner?
    Last edited by Call_me_Fate; 2007-05-08 at 09:32 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Serpentine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    ...you can bug Roland.

24. - Top - End - #84

*Ponders where he can get that card since Mother's day is coming up...*

While we're at it, why not point out the fact that the ninja name is also tainted by adolescent shell wearing mutants living in the sewers of New York who received their training from a rat.

Though thinking about that premise for a bit, are the TMNT more Ninja or more Samurai?

They fight with honor,
    They specialize in a certain weapon each,
    Not terribly well hidden like ninja are supposed to be,
    If Samarai, wouldn't that make the foot more representative of the ninjai?

Hmmm, adds this to pondering.

Oh, Samarai Champloo > Naruto in the whole basing upon cartoon created figures.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Summary:

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so on the Ninja side, we have Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes, All four Ninja Turtles, a decent Rogue replacement class, and Ryu Hyabusa. For Samurai, we have Samurai Jack, the worst D&D class in existence, and a totally lame superhero wearing a green bikini. Despite Samurai Jack's awesomeness, I have to go with Ninja.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Banned

What about Zorro? It's become clear to The Koga that the definition of pirate and ninja are more then just what people expect, samurai ultimately become pirates in the end. (As they were the first opposing enemy of the ninja, or rather ninja were the first opposing enemy of the samurai)

Maniac who can wield three swords at one time?!

And this guy has done some impressive crap, he's beaten meta-humans before that were built like human sharks, he's even "cut through steel".

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, samurai people. You bring up some interesting points. However, you are ignoring all sorts of crap.

1. Samurai are bound to a lord. That's a serious restriction that ninjas will never have. Ninjas are free to go where they want and do what they want. eat that.

2. Ninjas aren't only trained with shuriken and stealth, they are taught swordplay as well. And, they use ancient techniques tht help with precognition to make it easier for them to dodge.

3. Batman is definitely a ninja and he whoops more butt then anyone. Zorro is also [I]kind of[I] a ninja, but not overwhelmingly so. Taki is just a chick in tight spandex and mitsurugi is ronin, so he don't count.

4. Ninjas do have honor. Not a lot, but some. For instance, once they take a contract, they won't accept bribes from the poor sap.

5. I am a ninja.

Therefore, ninjas win
    Last edited by blademaster42; 2007-05-11 at 07:17 AM. Reason: forgot something and typos.
    Townies
    Townies: Iko,by wojiz (my avvie),Sheezu, and Carl.

My avatars are gone. May look into getting new ones, maybe not.

Currently converting the original Things I'm No Longer Allowed to do While Gaming thread into a word document. PM me for a copy when I'm done!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Ninja,
    Obviously
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by blademaster42 View Post
    Okay, samurai people. You bring up some interesting points. However, you are ignoring all sorts of crap.

1. Samurai are bound to a lord. That's a serious restriction that ninjas will never have. Ninjas are free to go where they want and do what they want. eat that.
    The lords also are samurai

Ninja arn't free to go anywhere or do anything unless the lord.. (read: a samurai) pays them too.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blademaster42 View Post
    A Lord has it's ups and downs. True undieng loyalty can be a burden, but in the end you have civil diplomacy that cannot be rivaled. Being a soldier to The Emperor pretty much garantees you free stays at the holiday inn, slashed prices on goods and services, and the cooperation and trust of everyone in the land. A ninja could not publicaly kill you without causing a riot, not is he or she entitled to any of your bennefits.

And a ninja still has to respect his clients. Ninja are assassins. Therefore if they want to get payed they do have to show atleast a neutral amount of repsect for those that hire them...

2. Ninjas aren't only trained with shuriken and stealth, they are taught swordplay as well. And, they use ancient techniques tht help with precognition to make it easier for them to dodge.
    Samurai aren't just Japanease knights y'know.. they were taught many weapons..

Swordplay
    Archery
    Mounted Combat
    Even some biological warfare, they invented the first nerve gas by using hotbell peppers and wrapping them in a bag like substance and shooting them like slingshots!

3. Batman is definitely a ninja and he whoops more butt then anyone. Zorro is also [I]kind of[I] a ninja, but not overwhelmingly so. Taki is just a chick in tight spandex and mitsurugi is ronin, so he don't count.
    Batman may be ninja but Batman also gets the power of jobbing. (Wolverine lives off of it) Jobbing is the comicbook ability to beat someone way out of your league simply by plot device.

Zorro is a pirate through and through. A skirmish heavy, Spainsh pirate. Perhaps a bit more intelligent and stealthy then most pirates, but a pirate none the less.

4. Ninjas do have honor. Not a lot, but some. For instance, once they take a contract, they won't accept bribes from the poor sap.
    Because ninja are not stupid, they can't afford to lose the trust of thier clients or it could mean death (or starvation). Ninja follow the rule of what best serves them and them alone.

The Koga's not trying to say samurai are better then ninja, but there's alot more to the argument then simply "samurai are big dumb doody heads who follow strict codes of honor"

That's how people managed to ruin the totally awesome D&D class the paladin.