New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: So maybe V is in a same sex marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    The Supreme Court of the United States of America ruled today that same sex marriage is a right guaranteed by the United States Constitution, and thus that all states are required to allow and recognize it.

LGBT people and their supporters are ecstatic over the news.

Congratulations are in order for the people affected by it, but it's an issue rather tightly coupled to politics so be careful discussing anything more about it than that.
    So, since I will keep this statement as non-linked to politics as I can, I will just say YAY! and congratulations to all those couples who are affected by the ruling.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

There's a party in the LGBT thread for those who want to generally celebrate without tying it specifically to discussion of the comic.

As for V, until he objects to the pronoun "he" on screen I'll just use that (or they, or V) for convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Don't be ridiculous. V is divorced.
    Hooray! By implication, we now know some vague and banal details about the Elven Legal System.

If they have an equivalent to the waiting period between serving an absent spouse and the finalization of divorce that is akin to that frequently found in common-law jurisdictions, then either it must have some option analogous to a judicial waver or require a shorter time-frame than the period that has passed since comic #678.

In hindsight, that's not particularly surprising: for most jurisdictions I'm aware of IRL, the time-frame is around 30 days.

Still, I wonder if any of Tarquin's implied uxoricides have had to confront this as a kind of ticking clock...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hecuba View Post
    Still, I wonder if any of Tarquin's implied uxoricides have had to confront this as a kind of ticking clock...
    Don't be ridiculous, the law where Tarquin lives is whatever Tarquin says it is!
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #35

ClericGirl

Don't be ridiculous, the law where Tarquin lives is whatever Tarquin says it is!
    Yes, but if his erstwhile spouse managed to get to another jurisdiction, the process of making her his late wife before she became his ex-wife might have made an interesting (and blatantly evil) side-quest.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hecuba View Post
    If they have an equivalent to the waiting period between serving an absent spouse and the finalization of divorce that is akin to that frequently found in common-law jurisdictions, then either it must have some option analogous to a judicial waver or require a shorter time-frame than the period that has passed since comic #678.
    Could such a waiver be what Vaarsuvius was signing in 679?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #37

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Could such a waiver be what Vaarsuvius was signing in 679?
    Tarnations. I had forgotten that page. Not quite the same, but it's likely an instrument indicating consent or lack of contest: such a thing would make judicial waver unnecessary.

Drat.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    Perhaps because we can consider something to be important contrary to what a fictional character thinks is important?
    I was just trying to make a joke about how OOTS forums overanalyze every single tiny detail.

I think I need to work on my humor heuristics.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by theasl View Post
    I was just trying to make a joke about how OOTS forums overanalyze every single tiny detail.

I think I need to work on my humor heuristics.
    My apologies! Some people get too uptight about those things. And then I get uppity in response.

Does it count as a joke that I overanalyzed your joke about overanalysis?
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    My apologies! Some people get too uptight about those things. And then I get uppity in response.

Does it count as a joke that I overanalyzed your joke about overanalysis?
    Just proof that the joke is grounded in reality! No offense taken, it's always good to get a reminder occasionally not to joke around in potentially offensive topics.

Now, carry on everyone else...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

LGBT people and their supporters are ecstatic over the news.

Congratulations are in order for the people affected by it, but it's an issue rather tightly coupled to politics so be careful discussing anything more about it than that.
    There's no need to be happy. We all know that the OotS is racist and sexist.

(disclaimer: the link is to a very old thread made as an april's fool. The same spirit applies to my "no need to be happy". those news are really good)
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grandpheonix View Post
    Was this ever considered when trying to determine if V is a dude or a chick?
    Of course it was. A complete lack of information has never held this forum back from rampant speculation and examination of options, no matter how obvious or how farfetched, and that particular example is one of the obvious ones.

But in the end all the forum's speculation is up against one incontrovertible fact, namely that V's gender is perfectly described by a single word, and that word is: irrelevant.

Yes, shocking as it may seem, and quite refreshing if I may say so, V's gender is irrelevant to the story, allowing the reader to consider V's actions on their own merits without gender views colouring interpretations.

More importantly, perhaps, while it may have started out as a joke back in the day, it is nice to have at least one of the main characters not being obsessed with either gender or sex, but having other priorities.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Nah, what we saw of V with the family showed us V largely ignored them. They're better off without V.
    I beg to differ. V has been involved in missions that, far as he knows, are necessary for the world to keep existing. He was careless and dangerous for Kyrie and the children, true, but in circunstances that are not entirely his fault and that are unlikely to repeat themselves, at least once this gates/Xykon/Snarl matter is settled.

There are apologies to be offered and lessons to be learned, but what we saw of V shows that he cares a lot about his family and deserves a chance to sort things out when things get quieter.

But then, I'm not a hopeless romantic who's seen people stick with people "they love" that also mistreat them and are generally horrible.
    Fair enough. I still think you are being too harsh on poor V.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    I always got the impression from dialogue that V considered gender unimportant, so much that when it became a plot point s/he specifically mentioned "Normally I don't pay attention to pronouns."
    I'm drawing a blank. Where did that happen?

I have said this before: the coloring book that most or all of the Kickstarter supporters received pretty much makes a point of stating that V's gender and sexuality do not have to matter to anyone else. That is probably the reason why they are a continuing plot point.

That said, I think I will always think of V as a male. It probably does not matter and there is a big chance that it is wrong, but that is how it turns out to me.

For whatever reason, Inkie looks far more ambiguous to me than V.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
    i believe Darth Paul is referring to this strip Panel #6.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Are we going really back in time, aren't we?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Thanks. I fear however that this strip only tells us that Vaarsuvius is used to misconceptions about his or her gender, which we sort of knew already.

A clear indication of whether he feels it is a relevant matter or why is IMO lacking.
    Last edited by LuisDantas; 2015-06-29 at 07:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post

I have said this before: the coloring book that most or all of the Kickstarter supporters received pretty much makes a point of stating that V's gender and sexuality do not have to matter to anyone else. That is probably the reason why they are a continuing plot point.

That said, I think I will always think of V as a male. It probably does not matter and there is a big chance that it is wrong, but that is how it turns out to me.

For whatever reason, Inkie looks far more ambiguous to me than V.
    Inkie was designed to look ambiguous. The Giant wasn't planning on hiding V's gender until after he learned that no one could tell.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

After Pompeii was deemed a clear-gendered half-elf, I always assumed that implied that all of the 'regular' elves were some sort of androgynous blend, which was why V would get muddled on the details, having mostly lived in a genderless/androgynous society. And then if they mated with a different race/species and conceived a half-elf, the child would suddenly get a gender (from the other race/species DNA).

Maybe I over-thought that one?

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    After Pompeii was deemed a clear-gendered half-elf, I always assumed that implied that all of the 'regular' elves were some sort of androgynous blend, which was why V would get muddled on the details, having mostly lived in a genderless/androgynous society. And then if they mated with a different race/species and conceived a half-elf, the child would suddenly get a gender (from the other race/species DNA).

Maybe I over-thought that one?
    Well, Lirian is pretty clearly female and identifies as such. Rather than assuming all elves to be agendered or gender-fluid, I simply assumed that elven society is just more tolerant/elucidatory of the concept, and thus more individuals are comfortable identifying that way.

This would explain V's irritation with the non-elves in the party making it an issue. (Heck, even Durkon and Roy make less-tolerant comments on occasion.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-06-29 at 09:34 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #51

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well, Lirian is pretty clearly female and identifies as such. Rather than assuming all elves to be agendered or gender-fluid, I simply assumed that elven society is just more tolerant/elucidatory of the concept, and thus more individuals are comfortable identifying that way.

This would explain V's irritation with the non-elves in the party making it an issue. (Heck, even Durkon and Roy make less-tolerant comments on occasion.)
    We get to see several more elves when they join the Azure City resistance, and indeed, they too seem to have clear genders. It's still possible that any "female-looking" elf is really male (by self-identification and/or by birth), and vice versa... though of course the same theoretically applies to most other characters in the series.

Point is, taking those elves as a reference, Stickverse elves don't seem particularly different from any other race in the Stickverse in matters of gender. I guess it's just a running joke specifically regarding Vaarsuvius (and also encompassing Inkyrius, which is necessary for the purpose of keeping the running joke running).

Yeah, maybe elves are more open about "non-standard" gender identities... but, given a recent comic's insight on dwarven attitudes on sexual orientation, I wouldn't necessarily take that for granted.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Really? I'd say most of the elven commandos are meant to be just as ambiguous as V, the only exception being the captain.
    Last edited by hroţila; 2015-06-29 at 09:50 AM.
    ungelic is us

23. - Top - End - #53

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Chambers; 2015-07-01 at 06:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

{Scrubbed}
    You know, I really want to assume youre being sarcastic here, but ive seen enough people who weren't that I feel compelled to check.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2015-07-01 at 06:44 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #55

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Chambers; 2015-07-01 at 06:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    {Scrubbed}
    Thanks, I feel better now.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2015-07-01 at 06:46 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #57
    Colossus in the Playground

Hayley, whoever she is, may be overtly heterosexual, but Haley is bisexual--as of the beginning of this story arc, openly so.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Hayley, whoever she is, may be overtly heterosexual, but Haley is bisexual--as of the beginning of this story arc, openly so.
    Yay.

Now The Giant just needs to fix Roy, Elan and Belkar.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    We get to see several more elves when they join the Azure City resistance, and indeed, they too seem to have clear genders. It's still possible that any "female-looking" elf is really male (by self-identification and/or by birth), and vice versa... though of course the same theoretically applies to most other characters in the series.

Point is, taking those elves as a reference, Stickverse elves don't seem particularly different from any other race in the Stickverse in matters of gender. I guess it's just a running joke specifically regarding Vaarsuvius (and also encompassing Inkyrius, which is necessary for the purpose of keeping the running joke running).

Yeah, maybe elves are more open about "non-standard" gender identities... but, given a recent comic's insight on dwarven attitudes on sexual orientation, I wouldn't necessarily take that for granted.
    Gender identity and sexual orientation are very different things though. It's quite possible for a given society to be very well-versed in the latter but not the former, especially one whose secondary sexual characteristics (such as, say, beards) are very prominent in the adult population. So dwarven society can have slightly more traditional ideas (or at least assumptions) on gender as a result even if they're very tolerant of orientation.

Compare to elves, where these same characteristics are very muted. Elves tend to have long hair on the head, slender forms, little to no body or facial hair, they are commonly described as having light or clear voices, and in OoTS they are commonly drawn with loose or flowing clothing that would de-emphasize their body shape. For a society like that, where sexual differences are de-emphasized, I would expect gender differences to be similarly de-emphasized. And it would again fit with V's irritation at getting out into the world and learning that the other D&D races are seemingly obsessed with such a (to elves) relatively inconsequential facet of life.

The end result is you can have otherwise well-meaning folks like Roy using phrases like "both genders" (implying acknowledgement of only two), and Durkon telling Elan he "ne'er been quite sure" of V's gender in a moment of irritation. This doesn't diminish either character, it just sheds a little light on the kind of assumptions they are working with, and some of the fundamental differences between their cultures and elven culture as a result.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-06-29 at 11:17 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #60

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Gender identity and sexual orientation are very different things though. It's quite possible for a given society to be very well-versed in the latter but not the former, especially one whose secondary sexual characteristics (such as, say, beards) are very prominent in the adult population. So dwarven society can have slightly more traditional ideas (or at least assumptions) on gender as a result even if they're very tolerant of orientation.

Compare to elves, where these same characteristics are very muted. Elves tend to have long hair on the head, slender forms, little to no body or facial hair, they are commonly described as having light or clear voices, and in OoTS they are commonly drawn with loose or flowing clothing that would de-emphasize their body shape. For a society like that, where sexual differences are de-emphasized, I would expect gender differences to be similarly de-emphasized. And it would again fit with V's irritation at getting out into the world and learning that the other D&D races are seemingly obsessed with such a (to elves) relatively inconsequential facet of life.

The end result is you can have otherwise well-meaning folks like Roy using phrases like "both genders" (implying acknowledgement of only two), and Durkon telling Elan he "ne'er been quite sure" of V's gender in a moment of irritation. This doesn't diminish either character, it just sheds a little light on the kind of assumptions they are working with, and some of the fundamental differences between their cultures and elven culture as a result.
    That does make sense. Yes, elves are kinda androgynous to begin with, so if any given race is going to be more open-minded than the others about sexual identity, I guess it makes sense it would be them.

That said, I do think Vaarsuvius self-identifies as a single, definite gender (rather than "neither" or "both" or something like that). The joke is that, while that answer (V's gender) exists, nobody knows what it is, and V continues to keep it in the dark. The frustration of not knowing the answer to a question that does have a definitive answer is crucial to the joke, IMO. Aside from the fact that V never implies that answer is unclear, just that it's irrelevant, what makes me convinced there is an answer is
    Spoiler: On the Origin of PCs material
    Show
    V's application form. The ink-blot would be entirely unnecessary if it was filled with a "?" or something ambiguous like that. No, it looks like V did write either "F" or "M", and deemed it beneath veself to clarify the matter when it turned out unreadable.