New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The most resilient gender conventions in roleplaying games?

Satyrs. And Centaurs.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Orks.

Warforged.

Atrox.

That's one from mini wargaming, one from tabletop rpgs, and one from videogames off the top of my head.
    I don't know Atrox, but Da Orkz are a fungal lifeform; I don't think gender actually has a meaning for them. And Warforged are genderless constructs.

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Dwarves, orcs? The females are described as 'nonexistant' or 'very manly, like their male counterparts'. Or just plain ignored.
    For a long time I was amused by the idea of Dwarf women with lush beards, but popular media - including more recent TTRPGs - has depicted them as actually existing. Same with Orc females. So while the race is depicted as predominantly male, it's hardly exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Satyrs. And Centaurs.
    I'll give you those. But see: Dryads, Nymphs.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    And Centaurs.
    Dragonlance's 3.5e Setting Book actually has a female centaur as it's "iconic" centaur.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

4. - Top - End - #274

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I don't know Atrox, but Da Orkz are a fungal lifeform; I don't think gender actually has a meaning for them. And Warforged are genderless constructs.

For a long time I was amused by the idea of Dwarf women with lush beards, but popular media - including more recent TTRPGs - has depicted them as actually existing. Same with Orc females. So while the race is depicted as predominantly male, it's hardly exclusive.

I'll give you those. But see: Dryads, Nymphs.
    You did ask more if there WERE male-only races, not if they outnumbered the female ones or had distaff counterpart races.

Most of the time, I think the reason it's "obvious" that a single-sexed race is "presented as female" while the contrary is dismissed is that we're back to "men are generic; women are special." It's notable if a race is all-girl, because we see girls front-and-center where we may not have expected it. It might take a while to realize, "We've never seen a female [member of race]," and then to be told, indeed, "there are none."

I think a lot of the "girl-only" sexes tend to actually be sexless, as well, but have female morphology because the writers wanted to play with femanine tropes and, if they bothered with justification, because the womb and the child-feeding-glands are things that are needed to raise children (hypothetically for a humanoid race, anyway).

This brings up something else: Remove all sexual primary and secondary characteristics, and you generally wind up with a "male" androgynous form. Give both (for a hermaphrodite, for example), and you usually wind up with something that looks "female." This is, I think, because we identify women and men more by whether or not there are obvious breasts, and otherwise rely on what are really tertiary (i.e. culturally chosen) physical traits, like hair style and clothing.

Put genderless androgynous creature in a dress and give him long hair, and we'll think "that's a girl." Put him in a suit and cut his hair short, and we'll think "that's a boy." He might be a "wiry" or "stringy" or even "pretty" boy, but...

On the other hand, physically, men can have a harder time passing as women just because a lot of men have less consciously obvious but still pronounced secondary traits, in the jaw, the shoulder width, etc. (Body shape isn't always indicative; "round" can disguise a lot of traits, and being dangerously skinny can do likewise.)

Second tangent: Whenever a single character from a race that has a trait that enables them to choose their gender, usually at puberty, as a permanent choice (i.e., not a shapeshifter or the like), it will almost always have a male protagonist and use this "I'm not a girl!" thing to create the tension of "will they/won't they" despite the fact that it's obvious they're going to. The not-yet-chosen-to-be-a-girl toys with being a rival, best friend, etc., but ultimately it's always "chooses to be a girl."

There's never the straight-up gender-flipped version, where the neuter character is paired with a female protagonist and ultimately chooses "boy" to be with her. Certainly, there's not the "I'm not a boy!" declaration that's so pronounced as the "technical truth" used in the going-to-be-a-girl version.

I know there's at least one anime where they're all girls until they "earn" being a boy, which is at least a different take on it (though I can hear all sorts of unfortunate implications cries coming out of that; for the record, I thought the anime was rather squicky and didn't get past the first episode, though that wasn't the reason).

It could be interesting to construct a love triangle around such a character: there's a male and a female love interest from a human or human-like race which has defined sexes from birth, so the neuter character has to make his choice in love interest before he reaches his physical decision-point.

Though to be fair, even the gender-flipped version would be interesting to see. Just try it with UQ Holder by playing my favorite game and a lot of stereotypes we may not even consciously appreciate will turn up.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

And a related note, a hypothesis: When a race is presented as a single gender (not counting genderless races), that gender is almost exclusively female. I can't think of anything to disprove this, off the top of my head. Anybody?
    Hutts, perhaps?
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase blog/campaign journal

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by The Grue View Post
    Hutts, perhaps?
    I think Star Trek: TNG had a race of mono-gendered people... unfortunately the episode centered around Riker essentially teaching one to be a woman (identifying as one or the other was a massive cultural taboo).

I mean, the unfortunate implications didn't seem intentional (at least at the time), but look at it now and... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy
    Oooh, there's one! Has anyone ever seen a male Twi'Lek in a Star Wars tabletop RPG, other than Bib Fortuna?
    Did the two male Twi'leks that served in Rogue Squadron ever get statted up? Nawara Ven and... the one that only appeared in Bacta War and Krytos Trap to be a Proud Warrior Twi'lek?

Seems like Ven might've at least shown up in the old West End Games version in a sourcebook somewhere.
    Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2015-07-28 at 11:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    I think Star Trek: TNG had a race of mono-gendered people... unfortunately the episode centered around Riker essentially teaching one to be a woman (identifying as one or the other was a massive cultural taboo).

I mean, the unfortunate implications didn't seem intentional (at least at the time), but look at it now and... yeah.
    I recall well that episode; the character in question self-identified as female despite the cultural taboo and her own physiology.

I don't see the unfortunate implications you allude to. At worst it's a heavy-handed allegory.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase blog/campaign journal

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, Segev's got it right, more or less. We assume the default is male because of our societal expectations, even though the biologically default human body is "female".

Also worth noting: Gender is inherently separate from anatomy. Which, in the case of warforged, means there are only physically identified as masculine warforged while warforged of a variety of genders exist.

Atrox are part of Anarchy Online. Genegineered laborers and warriors. Big, strong, and not too bright.

Orks are biologically engineered warrior beings who do reproduce through spores. That doesn't make any member of the population anything but male, though.

I played Anarchy Online for about 2 weeks (not a great game) while Warhammer Online got about 2 hours before I got angry at the gender-locking of different races and classes. There are literally no female Ork characters: You can only make clearly identified male characters.

However I'll go ahead and point to the Smurfs. Gargamel -created- Smurfette as a construct. The other Smurfs are all invariably male. If you look around you'll see even more examples like these above, they just don't stick out as much...

Because they're the standard. The norm. It's female-specific races that stand out as different, unique, or odd enough to be remembered, specifically.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

However I'll go ahead and point to the Smurfs. Gargamel -created- Smurfette as a construct. The other Smurfs are all invariably male. If you look around you'll see even more examples like these above, they just don't stick out as much...

Because they're the standard. The norm. It's female-specific races that stand out as different, unique, or odd enough to be remembered, specifically.
    Once they introduced the kid-Smurfs, though, wasn't one of them female? Would that make her the only naturally-occurring female in the species? Also, how did the Smurfs reproduce prior to the introduction of Smurfette into their population? (Their toadstool homes suggest something akin to Da Orkz.) What does it mean to have a biological female in a race of creatures who, while biologically male, have had that physiology serve no function?

And why did James Cameron pick them as his model for science fiction?
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

10. - Top - End - #280

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Whenever I make an NPC I flip a coin to determine sex, so none of this is even a possibility of being an issue for my group.
    I do this, too. Patron is a Baroness, her guard captain is male, first dungeon boss was male, first important NPC they met was female.

I also use the PHB tables to determine height and weight of all NPCs and encouraged the players to use them for their players. As it turned out, my DMPC is a 6' tall female wood elf who weighs 126 pounds and has low charisma. I'm playing her as looking like a model but being so sullen and withdrawn as to be almost uncommunicative (as the DMPC shouldn't talk much). The aforementioned Baroness wound up 5'5", 165 pounds, and I describe her as athletic, not fat. The guard captain wound up perfectly normal - for a dragonborn.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

11. - Top - End - #281

I recall well that episode; the character in question self-identified as female despite the cultural taboo and her own physiology.

I don't see the unfortunate implications you allude to. At worst it's a heavy-handed allegory.
    I just think that her education basically consisting of a romantic relationship with Riker (in other words, her femininity is fully realized in response to someone else's masculinity) causing more than a few people to cry foul, is all. Other than that it's pretty standard for it's time.

But it's neither here nor there.

12. - Top - End - #282

Also worth noting: Gender is inherently separate from anatomy.
    This is an important point that is often lost in such discussions. If only for the sake of clarity we must be careful not to conflate "gender" with "sex"; gender is a matter of social convention, whereas sex is one of biology.

13. - Top - End - #283

This is an important point that is often lost in such discussions. If only for the sake of clarity we must be careful not to conflate "gender" with "sex"; gender is a matter of social convention, whereas sex is one of biology.
    I strongly suggest we shy away from this particular aspect of the topic, as it's one which can and likely will become...frought...if pursued. It is too much a sacred cow and otherwise uncomfortable subject for some people, to the point that it becomes impossible to discuss without offending somebody. Who is allowed to be offended and who is not varies from board to board, but it will inevitably lead to places we probably don't want to go.

Fortunately, the topic of the thread need not delve into that particular divide; "gender conventions" are about tropes rather than about how any particular person self-identifies or how they feel about it.

If we really want to discuss it, I propose as a "safe" area to discuss gender as projected onto physically sexless beings, such as warforged, and we shy away from it being separate from human(oid) phyical sex as a general topic.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

The aggressive disdain you show for the subject and anyone on the other side of it may have something to do with that.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

The aggressive disdain you show for the subject and anyone on the other side of it may have something to do with that.
    I'm not sure that's fair. Even if he does have some disdain/bias or another, I think he's right; if it has the potential to start rule-skirting arguments, it should probably be avoided or, at most, taken up over PM.
    Originally posted by Gnoman

I enjoy it, honestly. I consider D&D to be the best legal education money can't buy.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

No need to discuss at length, the distinction between 'gender' and 'sex' anyway, but I feel we shouldn't conflate them either. It helps for this discussion, such as the case of the neuter character. I won't argue this bit further.

I usually choose gender of my PCs based on how it relates to their personalities (I have a female barbarian and an effeminate male elf, their genders are part of their characterization), or if they're based off pre-existing characters (where I keep the genders because I see no reason to change it, and it keeps my pronouns in order).

For NPCs, it's either the pre-existing thing, or I look at how many genders are already in the game. For example, if there is 1 male PC and I'm throwing an NPC at him, the NPC will be female. Just so that male pronouns (he, his, him) refers exclusively to the PC, while the female pronouns (she, her, hers) refer to the NPC without ambiguity.

I ran a setting with a heterosexual couple. The female was described as young and innocent, while the male was described as burly and uncaring. I took my spin on them, by making the male abusive. The PCs got really angry at the male :D

Next time, I'll swap the roles and make the female abusive. I'll have to wait for the 'next time' though. Do you think I should change the male's and females's appearances to better fit their new personalities?
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-07-28 at 10:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LogosDragon View Post
    I'm not sure that's fair. Even if he does have some disdain/bias or another, I think he's right; if it has the potential to start rule-skirting arguments, it should probably be avoided or, at most, taken up over PM.
    It definitely does have that potential. I'm just saying that his disdain has been evident for a while. Specifically using loaded terms and phrases like orthodoxy, sacred cows, who is allowed to be offended, etc. It's all aggressively disdainful without being directly insulting to any specific poster. I'm surprised it didn't shut down the conversation several pages back. Very flamebaity.
    Last edited by Steampunkette; 2015-07-29 at 12:45 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288

NecromancerGuy

It definitely does have that potential. I'm just saying that his disdain has been evident for a while. Specifically using loaded terms and phrases like orthodoxy, sacred cows, who is allowed to be offended, etc. It's all aggressively disdainful without being directly insulting to any specific poster. I'm surprised it didn't shut down the conversation several pages back. Very flamebaity.
    I have had many offline discussions where 'gender' was considered a loaded term; I'm not sure that your belief that some of a particular poster's phrases are loaded terms should be the deciding vote for what is, or is not, 'aggressively disdainful.'
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Banned

Griffon

Da Orkz, while fungal, are completely masculine (Demonstrating overwhelming and exaggerated male secondary sexual characteristics: Broad shoulders, flat muscular chests, narrow waists and hips, square jawlines, facial hair and coarse facial features, very little excess fascia deposits, masculine muscle development, and deep voices). Even grotz, while pathetic, are still masculine.

I think most warforged tend to demonstrate masculine social traits (especially Expendability)

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Generally, when it comes to non-dimorphic and asexual species, we humans tend to think of them as being whatever gender their traits most resemble. Hence, my occasional answer to "where are all the female orcs/dwarves/whatever?" is "how'd you tell them apart in the first place?" We humans are used to sexual dimorphism and tend to exaggarate in our fiction.

Speaking of which, this has an interesting effect: quite often in case of sexually dimorphic fantasy creatures, the male creatures can be notably inhuman and ugly, yet the females are still designed to be attractive. Shades of this also appear every time "satyrs are all males" and "nymphs are all females" (etc.) gets explained by "the former is really the male of the species, and the latter is female". I'm hard-pressed to think of a single fantastic species where the male is conventionally attractive while the female is genuinely monstrous.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Next time I use a monstrous race, I'll say 'there's an equal mix of both males and female. Just that they look identical to the naked eye, and rely on sound/smell/etc to distinguish between the sexes'.

Like penguins, except penguins are really cute.

* Biological sexes, not genders.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A race based on a real world animal that is matriarchal in nature will be showcased as patriarchal in game.

I'm looking at you, Gnolls. While they could be based off stripped hyenas, I don't see stripes often. I may have made this point earlier.

Also, can I say that I don't like the concept of a love triangle simply because I don't see a triangle? B and C love A looks more like an arrow to me. A love triangle sounds more like A loves B, B loves C, and C loves A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    A race based on a real world animal that is matriarchal in nature will be showcased as patriarchal in game.
    I'll hazard a guess and say it's research failure, or 'just didn't care'.

Reinforced by the writers living in a patriarchal society.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Antman did this too. Ant workers are almost universally female, but the movie refers to them all as male.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

So this thread is both still going and still not about games in particular?

Drow?

I'm looking at you, Gnolls.
    Hyena social structures are far from well known to the majority of people, not sure I would make much of this.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralDerp View Post
    Hyena social structures are far from well known to the majority of people, not sure I would make much of this.
    As true as that may be, information is not as difficult to obtain as it once was (depending on the subject obviously, but hyena facts aren't very difficult).

It most likely is due to lack of research or little care to research. Which I get, there are times where I just don't bother to research things, sometimes because they're distracting from writing, not easy to type up (I'm ashamed how I have trouble describing what I mean through text sometimes) or I think I know enough.

Still kinda annoys me though.

I also have no idea what the Drow are based off of from real life if anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

I also have no idea what the Drow are based off of from real life if anything.
    It's likely that they were based in part on the Norse concept of Svartalfar, the Black Elves. The problem is that these were basically Dwarves, in that they were subterranean craftsmen.

Really, I think they just wanted some Evil Elves, and they figured everyone's scared of spiders, and slavery and murdering your family are all pretty Evil, and then they just threw it all into a pot one night after I assume they got super drunk...

... and the result was the Drow.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Antman did this too. Ant workers are almost universally female, but the movie refers to them all as male.
    Did they? I watched the movie. I know there's one fly/ant called Anthony, which is a gender neutral name IIRC.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

I confess I have not watched the movie, but they did a science review of it on public radio (Science Friday, I think), and the gender of the ants was something they specifically brought up.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's likely that they were based in part on the Norse concept of Svartalfar, the Black Elves. The problem is that these were basically Dwarves, in that they were subterranean craftsmen.

Really, I think they just wanted some Evil Elves, and they figured everyone's scared of spiders, and slavery and murdering your family are all pretty Evil, and then they just threw it all into a pot one night after I assume they got super drunk...

... and the result was the Drow.
    And they decided black because it's the color most associated with evil?

Have they ever been sued over this? Or called racist?
    Last edited by Ralanr; 2015-07-29 at 11:44 AM.