Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Peril and Fame (IC)

Spoiler: Previously
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    Valamir

Valamir squinted at Irčne as her cheeks colored. "I wouldn't want to take him away from from whatever very important work he is up to."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perhaps we should go see Royce first, to give Zabbarot time to do his stuff?

Irčne gave an embarassed glower. "You never know until you try."

Show
    That'd probably be best.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

When Alessandra rouses and heads down to the taproom she's met by a strange sight - although not perhaps so strange in Varisia. At one of the tables a small crowd has gathered, and she can easily see a clear space and cards being laid out on the dark wood. There is a young man sitting with his back to her, and through the crowd she can see a young Varisian woman laying down the cards. Here and there she pauses a moment, muttering a phrase to the raven on her shoulder as the message of the spread becomes fully apparent. It seems to be a good one, as there is a good deal of excited words and muttering from the group before they thank the woman and move back over to their table.

Clearing away her cards as the group leaves, the dark haired woman looks up at Alessandra.

"You look like you're looking for your fortune," she remarks, spinning the cards absently between her hands. "Care for a glimpse?"
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2015-09-01 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    Deadeye Lodge, Keystone

Irčne is greeted at the entrance to the lodge by an apologetic and slightly portly cleric of Erastil. "Oh, I'm very sorry, miss, but Royce rode out early this morning to see his mum and da. He does that most weekends. Good lad! In fact, all of our rangers are out on errands at the moment. However, we do keep a store of supplies for dealing with a variety of beasties, so please, take as many cold iron arrows as you like and put them in a good place! A prayer to Old Deadeye would be advised as well."

He invites you inside to pray at the wood carved shrine while he fetches for you 40 Cold Iron Arrows, a Cold Iron Dagger and two Cure Moderate Wounds potions, as well as his sincere thanks for helping to defend Magnimar.

4. - Top - End - #274

Thoroughly disappointed at Royce's absence, but nonetheless grateful for the priest's assistance, Irčne thanked him for the assistance. "Do tell him I stopped by when he returns."

Kneeling before the shrine of Erastil,
    Irčne tried to recall if she'd heard any traditional prayers or the like to Old Deadeye.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Knowledge (Religion) check to recall any ceremonies or proper ways to venerate Erastil, thus giving him proper obeisance. If she cannot recall one, she will simply make a generic prayer.

In any case, feel free to move the scene on with your next post; Irene will conduct her prayer retroactively.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Varsq
    Unnamed Alley
    Starday Morning

Varsq scratched the back of his head, rolling out of the pile of dirt and debris he had called a bed the previous night. He had no idea what time it was, just that the sun was out and it hurt his eyes. Patting himself down, Varsq began to bite his thumb as he collected his various equipment mixed liberally within the garbage. He vocalized his inventory softly to himself, his voice a lilting and harsh soprano, and stopped every once in a while to take a deep wheezing breathe. Tucking everything away into his backpack, Varsq lifted his Hat of Disguise and placed it snug on his head. Suddenly his portly and diminuitive hairy body transformed into that of a thin and taller Halfling with tan skin and dark black hair. He loathed having to perform under the false visage of a different race but it was necessary given the unreasonable racism directed towards his people. Looking himself over in a muddy pond, Varsq punctuated his disguise with a small charm and continued on his way.

Walking down to the Bazaar of Sails Varsq found an open spot on the outskirts of it for him to practice his art. Shaking himself slightly, he began to dance the first dance he had ever learned back from his homeland. It was a tangled network of spins, cartwheels, and mock bows that told the story of a Ratfolk trade prince worming his way to the top of the food chain. It was not his greatest performance but it wasn't bad either, drawing forth random passerby's who paid their respects or threw a silver piece or two his way. Many more walked by, uninterested in the disguised rat's performance and more concerned with whatever task was at hand. Some had lovers to escape with, exotic spices to import, and some even had to meet with the Princess of the Market. Varsq paid them no mind, he had all the time in the world to lure them in.

Show

Casting Tap Inner Beauty and then creating my disguise.
    Going to spend the day dancing and performing for pay, for:(3d10)[25] sp.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2015-09-01 at 09:09 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Alessandra
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

She had only barely risen this morning; recuperating from injuries will do that to a person, and she'd surely have a few more scars if she cared to check. Hopefully Vai would be back with her cut soon; it'd be inconvenient to have to end such a profitable partnership so early, and even more inconvenient to plot her revenge afterward. She sighed, sat up, and put on her glasses. All in all, the job hadn't gone bad. Aside from getting mauled by Hellhounds and having to be rescued (even if she did beat the hell out of it before going down), she'd done just fine. If only she'd been a little more focused, maybe she'd have come out of that fight still looking pretty, even if they still probably would have had to take a break after. And hey, she's alive. Isn't that the important part?

She slid her arms through the appropriate places on her vest, closing it over her clothes, and carefully buttoned the thing before donning her scarf. She was glad she'd sprung for the private room; here at least she had the relative quiet to compose her thoughts. She stood up and grabbed the ceramic cup on her nightstand, uncorked the bottle of Sweet Sorrow in her bag, and poured herself a glass before stoppering it once more. No reason to be completely sober right now. No reason to think any more about a brush with death, certainly not any more than the last few times.

She took a sip.

Alessandra came downstairs with her hair brushed very straight and a cup of wine in hand. Some fortune-teller wandered in overnight, apparently, and gathered a small crowd. The adventurer didn't worry about her too much, sluggishly shuffling toward the notice board and perusing the notes about Bandits and Goblins and Crabs (and accompanying bounties). It wasn't long before she was addressed. "You look like you're looking for your fortune," the fortune-teller said, with the practiced impression of a professional. "Care for a glimpse?" The Chelaxian cracked a smile, hidden behind a sip of wine. The pun was not lost on her.

"I'll bite." she said, stepping toward the table where the fortune-teller had set up, sitting down and placing a silver piece between them. "What do the cards tell you?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    Deadeye Lodge, Keystone

Irčne recalls the proper way to venerate Erastil and ask for his blessing. The chubby cleric looks impressed! The two feel emboldened as they set out from the shrine.

Spoiler: Valamir and Irčne
    Show
    Valamir and Irčne gain a +1 bonus to Perception and damage against goblinoids until sundown on Sunday (tomorrow).

8. - Top - End - #278
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: +1 crafting!
    Show
    Shimura bowed slightly and introduced himself, "Shimura Hachiro," it was probably safe to use his name. Minkai was a lifetime away now. He continued in Minkaian, "It's been so long since I've spoken to another from Minkai. Forgive me if I'm a bit out of practice." He shifted his blades as they walked and slid the cold iron one partially out of it's sheathe, "This one I made. The other I inherited." A small lie, but not really an important one. "I'm opening a shop in town."[/QUOTE]

"Are you, now?" Amaya's eyes sparked with interest, and a slow smile crossed her face. Hearing her native tongue was somewhat odd, but always refreshing, and she responded in kind. "Is that what brought you here, then? Opening a shop? Crafting fine Minkaian blades for cultural tourists?"

She gestured to her own blade, but didn't unsheathe it. "This is Arisu. I'd show you, but...he only comes out to play when I get serious." A pause, and the woman flicked an errant piece of hair out of her face.

"So, when did you arrive? How do you like Magnimar so far? I find it to be...very interesting."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Out for a stroll.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by hi-mi-tsu View Post
    "Are you, now?" Amaya's eyes sparked with interest, and a slow smile crossed her face. Hearing her native tongue was somewhat odd, but always refreshing, and she responded in kind. "Is that what brought you here, then? Opening a shop? Crafting fine Minkaian blades for cultural tourists?"

She gestured to her own blade, but didn't unsheathe it. "This is Arisu. I'd show you, but...he only comes out to play when I get serious." A pause, and the woman flicked an errant piece of hair out of her face.

"So, when did you arrive? How do you like Magnimar so far? I find it to be...very interesting."

Shimura shook his head in agreement, "Yes. This is the frontier in many ways. Everyone needs a good weapon." He looked around and took a deep breath of the nighttime air. "I've been working on a commission all day, so I'm out for a walk to relax. I was headed over to the plot I'm buying. Would you like to come along? Then when I open you can be my first customer." He winked.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    Derexhi Villa, Alabaster District

Show

Seeing as how the Derexhi Villa is much closer than Six's Tower, I'll assume you go there first.

Despite being most cordial and having a legitimately good cause. Randred, the patriarch of this noble family, refuses to see any petitioners. However, sympathetic to their plight, the butler alerts the quartermaster, who agrees to bring up a weapon to the foyer where they've been made to wait.

"Exceedingly popular weapon, despite its exotic origin. Good's good though. It's a superior design for anyone with the finesse to use it. So of course we have a few in stock." The mutton chop wearing quartermaster emerges after a short wait, carrying a long Elven blade. He unsheathes it and hands it over for Valamir's inspection. Behind him, a page holds a plain, but well made morning star. Both items are masterwork, but not enchanted.

"House Derexhi prides itself on preparedness. We meet all challenges."

And then the metaphorical other shoe dropped. House Derexhi wasn't running a charity for adventurers with good intentions. "The blade is eight hundred and fifty crowns. The morningstar: only seven hundred. Should you wish to return these items after your excursion, I would be happy to refund ninety percent of your purchase -- should they be returned in good condition."

Varsq and Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Starday Sunday Morning

The intrepid halfling had begun to receive a steady stream of copper and even silver for his excellent display. People in the Bazaar always had a bit of loose change for truly talented performers. A wine merchant takes a break from minding his wares and leaves his son in charge of his stall to go over and watch. "You're good, little man. Where did you learn to dance like that?" he asks in a refined Chelish accent.

Meanwhile, as Vai approached the scene on her way to encounter Sabriyya, she overhears two women in fashionable clothing speaking.

"First Carent's men butchered in the night. Now this murder at the Shucked Oyster. It's terrible!"

"Is it?" asks the second. "Thieves and lecherous sailors. Maybe someone is taking out the garbage in this town."

"Oh! But the poor man. Beheaded and with his heart torn out. What sort of monster could do something like that, even if he was a bad man?"

Unless she lingers to eavesdrop, Vai soon passes by the dancing halfling.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-09-02 at 07:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

"I'll give you 500 for the sword, and 375 for the mace," Valamir offers. "Your prices are too high, and I have other sources.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I don't have access to my sheet at the moment, as I am not home, so I don't remember my bluff/diplomacy modifiers. Either way, Valamir will buy both items if Irene doesn't have enough for the mace. He'll also pick up 20 cold iron arrows for himself if they have some. Forgot to buy them earlier.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Varsq and Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Starday Sunday Morning

The intrepid halfling had begun to receive a steady stream of copper and even silver for his excellent display. People in the Bazaar always had a bit of loose change for truly talented performers. A wine merchant takes a break from minding his wares and leaves his son in charge of his stall to go over and watch. "You're good, little man. Where did you learn to dance like that?" he asks in a refined Chelish accent.

Meanwhile, as Vai approached the scene on her way to encounter Sabriyya, she overhears two women in fashionable clothing speaking.

"First Carent's men butchered in the night. Now this murder at the Shucked Oyster. It's terrible!"

"Is it?" asks the second. "Thieves and lecherous sailors. Maybe someone is taking out the garbage in this town."

"Oh! But the poor man. Beheaded and with his heart torn out. What sort of monster could do something like that, even if he was a bad man?"

Unless she lingers to eavesdrop, Vai soon passes by the dancing halfling.

Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

Passing by a curiously skilled halfling, Vai noticed the wine seller from a few days before. Sidling up next to him to watch the performance, she leaned over to whisper.

"Your help proved quite valuable. Expect to hear from me again soon."

She didn't wait for a response before turning and continuing down the thoroughfare. She wanted to meet up with Alessandra as soon as possible, but before that she had to attend to a merchant princess.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    Derexhi Villa, Alabaster District
    Starday Evening

The quartermaster humphs and folds his arms, but acquiesces after a moment of silence. "Agreed. But only because you look like nice kids and I wouldn't want you to meet your demise too soon. Oh no, you don't get to die in the service of the City of Monument; you'll live to a ripe old age and your wrist will start hurting for no damned reason when it rains. Ha ha!"

He lets the weapons go for 500 and 350, and throws in a quiver of 20 cold iron arrows for free. Counting the arrows you got from the Lodge, that makes 60.

Show
    Valamir rolled a 30 on his Diplomacy.

Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

Finding Kalmeralm's permanent camp was easy. The small two-story palace, built in Qadiran style, stood off of Sail street, the main thoroughfare. The windows are narrow, tall and arched: defensible, though extremely ornate. Most of the building has been painted sky blue while the trim is in white and gold. The front entrance is a high double door made of rosewood beneath a blue canvas awning. Two sinewy Kelish men stand outside with their hands folded over the pommels of their scimitars.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-09-02 at 07:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

Vai approached the gate guards without fear, giving them a courtly bow .

"Good morning, gentlemen. I have business to discuss with the honorable Sabriyya Kalmeralm of a deeply personal nature. If you wouldn't mind getting the door?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy:
    (1d20+15)[29]

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

15. - Top - End - #285

Show
    Valamir and Irčne
    Deadeye Lodge, Keystone
    Starday Evening

The quartermaster humphs and folds his arms, but acquiesces after a moment of silence. "Agreed. But only because you look like nice kids and I wouldn't want you to meet your demise too soon. Oh no, you don't get to die in the service of the City of Monument; you'll live to a ripe old age and your wrist will start hurting for no damned reason when it rains. Ha ha!"

He lets the weapons go for 500 and 350, and throws in a quiver of 20 cold iron arrows for free. Counting the arrows you got from the Lodge, that makes 60.

Irčne inclined her head in gratitude as Valamir successfully managed to negotiate with the quartermaster, handing over 350 gold pieces. "Thank you, quartermaster."

As she and Valamir left, she turned to him.
    "Well, what do you think? Six's Tower?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

"Thank you, good Quartermaster. We leave in peace." With a gracious bow, Valamir turns and replies to Irene, "Yes, I think that should be our next destination." He draws his new blade and hefts it in one hand, eyeing the weapon. "This seems a good blade, though I am not a craftsman."
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-09-02 at 06:59 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    Six's Tower, Outside Magnimar
    Starday Evening

Valamir and Irčne arrive at the reported residence of one 'Six', a warlock who lives a mile out of town along the eastern road. Known to most people in Magnimar as an eccentric (and possible a deviant) the man rarely left the leaning tower he called home. Rumors (not particularly credible ones) said that Six had passed his two hundredth year. His supposed long life had been attributed to the Sun Orchid Elixir, achieving a state of arcane perfection, or making a deal with Asmodeus.

At the base of his tower a garish red door and a bell with a painted sign that reads: For important arcane matters: Ring. Otherwise, sod off! A raven Valamir had previously spotted circling overhead lights on the sign and looks at one, then the other. Just as he opens his mouth to speak, a Westcrown accent greets them from an open window above.

"No, don't do the thing, you silly bird! I'm expecting them! I have... foreseen it!"
    the wiry warlock waves his hands in an overly dramatic pseudo-mystical gesture. Valamir spots pink bubbles hanging in his messy dregs of wet hair. "Though I had hoped they'd wait until I was out of the bath! Can't have a post-shag bath in peace. That's always the way..."

If they wait, the door bursts open and the man from the window appears in a skimpy silk robe with his long black hair wrapped up in a towel. "Tea?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-09-02 at 08:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

As Six's voice, and the mention of shagging/a post shag bath, Irčne's face colored. "Erm, we can wait! We're in no hurry..." The blush redoubled itself as Six revealed himself, his choice of attire leaving very little to the imagination. "T-tea sounds lovely, thank you."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

It is all Valamir can do to stop from bursting into a laugh. Not wanting to offend their host, he leaves Irene to do the talking for now.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously
    Show
    Varsq and Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Starday Sunday Morning

Finally someone who fully appreciated his artistic talents! Sweating, his chest heaved as Varsq took in a few big breathes to recover from the performance. He had skill in spades, but his physical stamina wasn't the greatest quality he possessed. Standing up straight, the disguised Ratfllk tipped his hat in greeting and brought forth a winning smile.

"Why I taught myself, yes I did. Spent most of my childhood practicing and watching the other's hoop and holler in bar rooms. Thought to myself 'Ah, it can't be too hard.' Guess I was right!"

And with that Varsq began to laugh heartily as he collected the various coinage thrown his way, scooping it up and placing it within his bag for later use. He paused for a second as he watched a rather interesting women walk up to the wine merchant before quickly departing, and he thought on it for a moment before shrugging and collecting the last of his earnings.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2015-09-02 at 10:54 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

"Many things," the lady smiled mysteriously, "but you do not strike me as one who wishes for the traditional games. So a simple reading then, to suit your tastes." She spun the cards out again between her hands and laid them down on the table, so that they formed a full circle, then shuffled and offered Alessandra the choice of cutting before reforming it into a full deck.

"You are very unlike my normal custom, you know. But I am glad you accepted my offer, it seems fortuitous." She dealt out a card from the bottom of the deck. The cards were beautifully made, obviously a set well cared for. "You are worried," she said softly, nodding down at the card's image.

"You fear that your efforts might not be rewarded. That you will not be recognised for contributions given, and have no chance to celebrate what you have worked for." Another card drawn from the bottom of the deck, turned delicately to reveal another inverted image to the fortune teller, and she murmured something to the raven on her shoulder, nodding slowly. "There is a friendship, a collaboration you have made, that you cannot find it in yourself to trust." A look up at her client's face. "It is young, isn't it." She left no time for an answer, turning another card from the bottom of the deck, once again its image facing towards Alessandra.

"Yet you seek a new beginning, and I think you will find it. No closure for now, but..." A fourth card, again inverted, flipped onto the table, "you will find your way clear of distractions, but those you choose."

She laid down her last card, this one a happy scene of running between hidden paths, and finally facing the teller in its fullness.

"And in time, if you follow the advice you are given when sought, you will find a place where your voice is valued, and decisions made together." She paused for a long moment, eyes fixed on the reading before her, then her hand moved a final time, laying a single card above them.

"You have great power, but without discipline this future I have read cannot become real. Be true to who you are, and show persistence in the face of your enemies, and all before shall come to pass."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2015-09-03 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    Starday Evening

The first floor of Six's Tower is devoted to a cozy sitting room with mismatched but comfortable looking furniture. Books and assorted papers, fliers and scrolls are strewn about. One leather bound tome has been wedged under the couch cushions; the spine reads: The Lost Art of Reading Troll Entrails. Over the mantle, there's an enormous oil painting of a nude woman sprawling over a bear skin rug. A roaring, heat-less fire is in the hearth. On the ancient, well loved coffee table, there are three used and stained tea cups, now empty. A tattered looking Harrow deck lays one the table in a nine card spread.

Six retrieves a crystal vial from the counter before cleaning each of the teacups to a gleam with magic. Three cups of water are poured from the vial and briskly transformed into steaming black tea.

"Sit sit," he commands, gesturing towards the couch, before seizing up his cup before flopping backwards into his favorite chair. "You haven't brought any biscuits. I have foreseen it! No one ever brings me biscuits."

He pouts and stares thoughtfully off into the distance (or just at the wall) for an uncomfortable moment before asking, "Well? What do you want?"

Spoiler: Valamir
    Show
    Propped against Six's overstuffed chair is a stringed instrument that Valamir identifies as a zither. He can't identify the style or its origin, but it's magnificent and should fetch a price of 500 gold pieces.

Vai
    Bazaar of Sails, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

The first swordsman sneers, "I don't care if you're Queen Ileosa and her perky tits. Unless you've got an appointment, no one sees the Amirzade."

The second looks a bit more sympathetic, perhaps taken by Vai's good looks. "Tell me what you want. She may have time."

Varsq
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

The richly dressed merchant pauses thoughtfully before fishing out a gold coin from his purse and pressing it into Varsq's hand. "You draw quite a crowd. And I like halflings. Their ears are close to the ground," he smiles, knowingly. "If you hear any interesting gossip, you'll tell Guillaume, won't you? You can find my stall over there." He gestures to the burgundy colored tent and the stacks of wine casks..
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-09-03 at 06:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

Vai's sneer in response to the first swordsman was somehow still beautiful, though it curled into a smile as the second one spoke.

"Certainly. I simply thought your employer might like to take possession of her father's bones."

Vai hefted the sack, reaching inside to draw out the Pendant of the Souk. She dangled the golden hawk in front of the mercenaries almost like a hypnotist before balling it back into her fist.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-09-03 at 06:23 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

24. - Top - End - #294

Show
    Valamir and Irčne
    Starday Evening

The first floor of Six's Tower is devoted to a cozy sitting room with mismatched but comfortable looking furniture. Books and assorted papers, fliers and scrolls are strewn about. One leather bound tome has been wedged under the couch cushions; the spine reads: The Lost Art of Reading Troll Entrails. Over the mantle, there's an enormous oil painting of a nude woman sprawling over a bear skin rug. A roaring, heat-less fire is in the hearth. On the ancient, well loved coffee table, there are three used and stained tea cups, now empty. A tattered looking Harrow deck lays one the table in a nine card spread.

Six retrieves a crystal vial from the counter before cleaning each of the teacups to a gleam with magic. Three cups of water are poured from the vial and briskly transformed into steaming black tea.

"Sit sit," he commands, gesturing towards the couch, before seizing up his cup before flopping backwards into his favorite chair. "You haven't brought any biscuits. I have foreseen it! No one ever brings me biscuits."

He pouts and stares thoughtfully off into the distance (or just at the wall) for an uncomfortable moment before asking, "Well? What do you want?"

Taking a long sip of the tea, Irčne opened the conversation. "We recently heard that the goblin population in Magnimar's sewers is starting to grow out of control, and went down this morning to cut down their numbers. We ran into the advance guard, only to find that they've apparently been interbreeding with demons. We were told that you are an expert on evil outsiders, and were hoping that you might know something."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-09-03 at 06:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    Starday Evening

"Oh!" Six gasps, sloshing out a drip of tea. "Oh that's clever isn't it? Making half-breed demons with a race that breeds as quickly as goblins. Erm... not... not that I would engineer anything like that. Obviously. I'm not that evil! Or productive. Breeding a half demon army sounds like an awful lot of what-you'd-call 'work'. Bloody exhausting. Not to mention icky. All those little... goblin bits. Have to set up some manner of prenatal and pediatric goblin care..."

He clasps his hands together and does his best to look innocent. "So, no. No. Brand new information for Six. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 as far as evil schemes go. Strong end game, but logistically problematic. See me after class."

Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

The guards look at each other for a moment before nodding. "All right. Give over your weapons and I'll let someone know you're here," says the first before rapping his knuckles on the door. Shortly, a peep hole slides open and a set of dark eyes peer out. The guard speaks to the eyes in Kelish and the eyes reply.

The second guard nods at Vai's head. "He says you've disguised yourself. Your form is a glamer. What is it you're hiding?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-09-03 at 07:03 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

Vai sighed. Her mother had warned her that the illusions of the hat wouldn't fool the truly powerful, and while she suspected Six had known, this was the first test of how much the usurpers would accept. Still, better that it happen now than before someone less morally flexible.

"I will dismiss the glamer, but not here on the street. My true appearance might cause something of a stir, and exposing myself like that is more than I'm willing to risk. Allow me into the foyer though, away from prying eyes, and I shall reveal all."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

The voice behind the door speaks again. The second guard translates after taking Vai's sword. "Your belt and the headband as well." Clearly the Princess of the Market took every precaution and her security was quite thorough. "You may keep the rest."

Once robbed of her useful magic accouterments, Vai is show inside. Within is a small foyer with not overmuch in the way of decoration. A beautiful Qadiran rug dominates the room. Two enchanted torches burn with blue light within their shallow alcoves on the far wall. A doorway leads forward and on the right hand side of the room, there is a stairway up.

The robed man who had spied on Vai from behind the slit in the door was tall and lean, wiry and muscular for an apparent arcanist. His dreadfully thin face ended in a long black goatee that had been thoroughly waxed to maintain its upwards curl. "Now, girl, your disguise!" he demands in a dark but lyrical Qadiran accent.

Before Vai can consider how to proceed, a woman appears at the top of the stairway. "Leave her alone, Mahdi. So rude. Would you ask her to rub off her eye liner and rouge as well? Women... we must keep some secrets."

The woman is obviously Qadiran, judging by her complexion. She was still a beauty though close to her fiftieth year. Her crimson cloak jingled as she descended the steps, bells were sewn into the hem. On the ground, she draws back her hood, revealing a short businesslike haircut with a stark white streak on the right side.

"Show me," she commands.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Vai
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

Vai's hand had inched towards one of the golden wasp's in her hair before the woman had appeared at the top of the stair, her commanding mien leaving little doubt that she was Sabriyya Kalmeralm. Vai curtsied in the showy manner of her people, before opening her hand to reveal the pendant in her palm, stretched out for the Merchant Princess to take and examine.

"Thank you for your hospitality, mistress."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    "Many things," the lady smiled mysteriously, "but you do not strike me as one who wishes for the traditional games. So a simple reading then, to suit your tastes." She spun the cards out again between her hands and laid them down on the table, so that they formed a full circle, then shuffled and offered Alessandra the choice of cutting before reforming it into a full deck.

"You are very unlike my normal custom, you know. But I am glad you accepted my offer, it seems fortuitous." She dealt out a card from the bottom of the deck. The cards were beautifully made, obviously a set well cared for. "You are worried," she said softly, nodding down at the card's image.

"You fear that your efforts might not be rewarded. That you will not be recognised for contributions given, and have no chance to celebrate what you have worked for." Another card drawn from the bottom of the deck, turned delicately to reveal another inverted image to the fortune teller, and she murmured something to the raven on her shoulder, nodding slowly. "There is a friendship, a collaboration you have made, that you cannot find it in yourself to trust." A look up at her client's face. "It is young, isn't it." She left no time for an answer, turning another card from the bottom of the deck, once again its image facing towards Alessandra.

"Yet you seek a new beginning, and I think you will find it. No closure for now, but..." A fourth card, again inverted, flipped onto the table, "you will find your way clear of distractions, but those you choose."

She laid down her last card, this one a happy scene of running between hidden paths, and finally facing the teller in its fullness.

"And in time, if you follow the advice you are given when sought, you will find a place where your voice is valued, and decisions made together." She paused for a long moment, eyes fixed on the reading before her, then her hand moved a final time, laying a single card above them.

"You have great power, but without discipline this future I have read cannot become real. Be true to who you are, and show persistence in the face of your enemies, and all before shall come to pass."

Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

"...Ooh, you're good.", Alessandra says after a long moment, mild surprise evident. Either a lucky guess or an impressive cold read. Or perhaps a sign of no mere fortune teller, but a true diviner. Hard to say; Alessandra's senses, no matter how sharp, had never quite gotten to the level needed to spot real magic like an arcanist could. Lips curling into an ever-so-slight smile, she placed another silver on the table as a tip. "I'm impressed. Really. Where did you learn to read like that, if I might ask?", she said, carefully maintaining her place in the gap between skepticism and wonder.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

valamir

"Sir, that is an exquisite zither you have there!" Valamir stared at the instrument for a moment before remembering the occasion of their visit, "My apologies, my sister is a musician, and a bit of interest rubbed off on me. We aren't accusing you, my good sir, but merely wondering if you have any insight as to their origin, and perhaps advice on addressing the problem of their presence in the sewer system. We represent several unnamed interests who would have the sewers safer."

Spoiler
    Show
    rolling diplomacy with (I think) a +14 modifier.

(1d20+14)[17]