New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Peril and Fame (IC)

"There she is! After her!" yell the two Hellknights in near unison. Irène has just enough time to shove the ajar manhole cover away and start down the ladder before the knights come charging over. One manages to lay a hand on the hood of her cloak as she descends with all possible haste. While he succeeds in yanking the clasp against her throat, she pulls away to slide down the outer rails of the ladder! She lands on her feet.

Spoiler: Irène
    Show
    Irene and her cloak have made it into the sewer. Luckily, she's much faster than the heavily armored knights. She gains 1500 xp for her daring escape!

Meanwhile, in the Old Fang's common room...

The front door again flies open, nearly torn off its hinges. A Hellknight enters and tears his helmet off to scream at their commander, "Sir! She's escaped into the sewers!"

"Incompetent wretch! You: there's an access point a block east of here. You two: downstairs and with me!"

Varsq
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

During the day, Varsq's keen ears overhear the following juicy tidbits (well, perhaps a shrewd and scheming mind is responsible, rather than just his hearing):

• A sailor was found murdered last night at the Shucked Oyster, a nearby brothel. His heart was torn out and his head is still missing. The city watch has given the case over to the Hellknights, owning to the truly foul nature of the crime. That and whatever monster was capable of ripping someone's ribs apart was clearly something above the Watch's collective pay grade. The man sailed aboard the Minkaian Minx. Rumor is, a jaded girlfriend did it. But he couldn't have had a girlfriend, jaded or otherwise, as he only recently arrived in town. And what girl could have left such a mess?
    • Scandal! A young lady of the noble House Nirodin is rumored to be pregnant out of wedlock. "Oh," supposes the gossipy middle aged aristocrat as she passes, "Well, the Nirodins are certainly rich enough to have that sort of thing taken care of, aren't they? But the damage is already done!" Varsq does not catch the name of noble girl.
    • This evening at the Serpent's Run hippodrome, there will be an event the locals call "Hydrabaiting". Like bullfighting, contestants try to put on a show for a cheering crowd while methodically robbing a hydra of its heads (and all without the aid of magic). The contestants for the event? A Shoanti warrior and an elven blademaster! Should be a great show. A young man (who discusses this with his uninterested father) is aghast and wishes they'd stick to horse races instead of hurting the poor hydras.

Vai
    Kalmeralm House, Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Morning

All of the pomp left Sabriyya as she knelt and ran her fingers over her father's armor with reverence. Twenty eight years dead, only a few scraps of mummified sinew and skin held the skeleton together, but she knew his armor like he'd only gone missing yesterday. She discovers the telltale sign of a break in the middle metacarpus of his right hand and sighs softly, "When my mother died, he beat his hands bloody against the wall. As if it would bring her back. Foolish man broke his hand and couldn't hold a sword properly for two seasons."

At length she stands and bows her head to Vai. "I apologize for my rudeness. I did... I did not think there were good people in this city. You even left his purse. How can I thank you for bringing me back my bâbâ?
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-09-05 at 08:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Vai
    Sunday Morning

All of the pomp left Sabriyya as she knelt and ran her fingers over her father's armor with reverence. Twenty eight years dead, only a few scraps of mummified sinew and skin held the skeleton together, but she knew his armor like he'd only gone missing yesterday. She discovers the telltale sign of a break in the middle metacarpus of his right hand and sighs softly, "When my mother died, he beat his hands bloody against the wall. As if it would bring her back. Foolish man broke his hand and couldn't hold a sword properly for two seasons."

At length she stands and bows her head to Vai. "I apologize for my rudeness. I did... I did not think there were good people in this city. You even left his purse. How can I thank you for bringing me back my bâbâ?

Vai
    Sunday Morning

Vai bowed her head in return.

"No apologies are necessary. I can only imagine the charlatans you must endure on a daily basis. But I am a newcomer to this city, a stranger to its ways - I would appreciate whatever gratitude you saw fit to offer. He sounds like a man who loved his family dearly."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show
    "There she is! After her!" yell the two Hellknights in near unison. Irène has just enough time to shove the ajar manhole cover away and start down the ladder before the knights come charging over. One manages to lay a hand on the hood of her cloak as she descends with all possible haste. While he succeeds in yanking the clasp against her throat, she pulls away to slide down the outer rails of the ladder! She lands on her feet.

Irène barely had time to make sure everything was about her. Barely time to ensure that Stjerne was still flapping down along after her. Barely time enough to think.

Why are they after me?! I didn't do anything! Desna, why is this happening to me?!

The gears in her mind churning rapidly, Irène ran like the wind down the sewer.

And now I can't even stop to try and conceal my presence, because if I do they'll catch me!

Coming to the first intersection, Irène made her way past the dragon's cave, the beginnings of an absolutely insane plot take hold in her mind as she fumbled to grab her brand new cold iron morningstar.

Goblin territory's my only choice. Hell Knights probably wouldn't be insane enough to go in there. Hopefully I can find a way back up before I realize just how crazy this plan is...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Irene will move at the fastest possible speed to, say, X46 before stopping to see if she's being pursued. If by some luck the Hell Knights aren't following her down, she'll switch back into stealth mode and keep crawling down and to the LEFT on the map until she sees signs of enemies - or an exit.

Familiar bonuses to perception are now in effect.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-09-05 at 10:50 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

As the two flanking Knights hurried up the stairs to check the rooms, Alessandra turned to Valamir.

"Don't be a fool, these are Knights of the Order of the Nail, headquartered here in Varisia. No doubt asked to investigate by the guard because anyone capable of such a murder is well above their paygrade. I'm glad they've finally decided to just check the rooms rather than wasting time interrogating tavern patrons, however. She's either here or she isn't."

Valamir looked at Alessandra with a grin on his face, "But my dear, I am a fool." He then spun on his heel and raced upstairs. Carefully pushing open the door to Irène's room, he reclaimed his item, and headed back downstairs. Following the "incompetent wretch" outside, Valamir ducked into a nearby alley, and adjusted the his hat. Exiting the alley was a rather more human-looking person (with blonde hair and blue eyes) than who entered it. Drawing his cloak about himself, Valamir took off after the hell knight heading east, doing his best to keep up without drawing attention to himself.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi

Iréne? A murderer?

Zuberi only slept two hours a night. Unless she had exited the inn during the brief period he was truly asleep, or she snuck out a window or something similar, he probably would have seen her leave. As far as he knew, she had been at the inn...

Something struck him as fishy, but before he could think on it further, Iréne had already apparently made an escape of some sort, and Valamir was not far behind her. The situation had escalated beyond his hands. Iréne's fleeing did little to improve any appearance of innocence...

Spoiler
    Show

Are there any Hellknights left in the inn? Or did they all leave in pursuit?

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir, Alessandra, Aethra, Zuberi
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

The two knights quickly file down the steps and hustle out the door on the orders of the captain (known as a Maralictor). Before leaving, the leader points an armored finger at the assembled inn patrons in warning. "It would be prudent to not leave the city while the investigation is underway."

Perhaps he would have stayed to try and intimidate information out of them if Irène wasn't on the run. If he had the men to spare, he may have even detained everyone here on the mere suspicion of interfering.

Ol' Mam, the proprietor sets her elbows on the counter and cradles her head in her hands, unsure of what to believe. Valamir follows the Hellknights out after taking care of something upstairs.
    Spoiler: Zuberi
    Show

From what Zuberi recalls of the previous night, Irène retired to her room by 9 and didn't come down. He hasn't seen her since she returned to the inn last evening with her new cold iron morning star.

Irène
    Sewers, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

"Irene!" is the muffled, echoing yell down the long sewer tunnels behind her. "Innocent people don't run. If you have nothing to hide, submit!"

Irène had gained a precious few seconds as the Hellknights, all human, had to activate the ioun torches from their supplies to chase after her in the pitch black. She hears the clanking of their armor grow more distant as she rounds the corner and sprints down towards Goblin Town. She passes the site of their battle the day before and finds the corpses of the three goblins propped up against the central pillar. They've been maimed posthumously; they bare claw marks and look like they've had their throats torn out. Their intestines lay on the ground in front of them. A dozen rats gnaw at the remains, but scatter at Irène's approach. Taking a right turn at the next T-intersection, it's only a hundred feet until she arrives at four way junction. In the middle of the paths, someone has baited a bear trap with a dead dire rat. On the left-hand wall, there is a crude image of a grinning goblin scraped into the masonry.

Valamir
    Dockway

Soon after Valamir catches up with the trio of Hellknights, their captain gestures for one to break off north and the other south. Continuing after the captain for a ways, he soon hears the telltale sound of clambering plate armor down the north alley way... and then again not far behind. The clever bastards moved to double back on him! The captain ahead turns back and raises his sword. "You've been following us since the inn. If you're in any way responsible for abetting the fugitive, the consequences will be dire. Arrest that man!"

Clearly, the captain is just angry because he has to spend a hot Sunday running through the streets in full plate.

Ahead, two by-standing dockworkers begin to retreat through the open warehouse door. This isn't any of their business.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Valamir has won initiative.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-09-06 at 02:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Blast! Valamir thought to himself. I should've brought two elixirs. He halted where he was, and (in as high-pitched a voice as he could manage), shouted out, "Not today!" Before waggling his fingers theatrically and casting a spell upon himself. In a blink, he had vanished, and left the Hell Knights seemingly alone in the street.

Show
    Casting Vanish
    Moving to AZ 26.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Varsq
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Afternoon

There were always plenty of opportunity wherever a crisis lurked, and Varsq was always ready to leverage such a crisis to the best of his abilities. The Wine Merchant offered payment in exchange for information, and though Varsq had not collected a large breezy of information, what he did have at his disposal was quite juicy indeed. Rubbing his brow from a long day's work performing on the streets, Varsq shuffled his short and pudgy form over to the stand he was pointed to earlier, a large fake smile fitting his fake face.

"I've heard some interesting things, yes I have, and I couldn't think of anyone better to share it with.... If you've got the time."
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Shimura, Sunday Morning

Shimura awoke to find a pretty girl still in his bed. "Oh wow... What am I getting myself into?" He got up quietly to try and let her sleep, and left a short note on the bedside table in Minkaian.

Have to work, I'll be at the forge. See you tonight.

That seemed good enough. With that he got dressed and headed to work. He felt energized and the work went quickly. Before he knew it he was polishing the blade, and choosing materials for the grip, sharkskin of course. In a fit of inspiration he carved menuki shaped like nine fox tails in a wheel in honor of Daikitsu. It was subtle and added to the grip. With that finished the wrapped the handle and began working on the sheathe. Since Lord Derexhi had such a wide array of materials and had requested a mithral blade, Shimura chose darkwood for the sheath. An couple hours with varying files and some stain and it was glossy black wood grain.

The work was done surprisingly quickly and the forge was still hot, so Shimura indulged himself a little and gathered up some scrap steel. With a bit of effort he forged a throwing star. In it's center he etched Daikitsu's holy symbol and said a quiet prayer. He set it on a table in the corner as an impromptu shrine and offering. It had been a while since he had prayed, but recently he had been having surprisingly good luck. He shook his head as last night came to mind. Surprisingly good.

With that done he cleaned up a bit and brought the sword to Lord Derexhi's office.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Vai
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

Vai left the mansion of the Amirzade with a fat pouch of platinum and a smile on her face. The money was nice, but what pleased her most was the clear gratitude of one of Magnimar's luminaries. No doubt it would be useful in the future. Collecting her things from the guards, she made her way towards the Old Fang, where she assumed Alessandra had chosen to stay. After all, it was the only inn of repute in Dockside.

She arrived shortly after some kind of scuffle, to judge by the people still tentatively filtering back onto the street and the way the doors hang listlessly on battered hinges. It was a curious sight, but before she cared to ponder it further she sighted Alessandra sitting across from some woman facing away from the door. Taking the pouch containing Alessandra's cut in hand, Vai began twirling it around.

"Alessandra!"

She strode forwards, taking no notice of the put-upon inkeeper, and let the pouch fly onto the table as she collapsed in one of the chairs, flinging one leg over the chair arm. The draw string gave way slightly, allowing a few platinum crowns to spill out and revealing the rest of the 780 coins remaining in the bag.

"Not bad for one day's work, eh? So, what's going on around here? It looks like everyone within a block of the inn just saw a ghost..."

She finally turned her head to look at the person sitting across from Alessandra, and her eyes went wide.

"Aethra?"

It was an impressive sight, seeing Vai leverage her leg around the arm of the chair to launch herself into a standing position to tackle the Varisian fortune teller with a hug. The chair she'd been on went skidding away, while the one Aethra was sitting in tipped over to deposit the two Varisians on the floor.

"Aethy! What are you doing in Magnimar!?"

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi

He could stand by no longer. Zuberi stood, and went out into the street. There were a few Hellknights nearby. He approached them, palms faced out in a nonthreatening manner.
    "Sers, I may have information relating to Iréne. If you could direct me to your headquarters, or spare an escort, I would willingly assist in your investigation."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

Aethra had still been considering what to do when Vai entered the inn, she had recognised her voice the instant she called out Alessandra's name. She's always been good with voices. Yet residual concern over the Hellknights still held her for several moments, long enough for the purse full of platinum to go flying by. Then Vai threw herself down in the chair opposite her, looking tired, but satisfied. There was a story in that look, there always was. Yet she continued to stay quiet, although this time for rather different reasons. Just a few more moments...

"Aethra?"

There we go.

"Oof!" She'd had a greeting in mind, but she never managed to speak it as Vai, displaying her customary hallmarks of manual dexterity and considerable strength, half-pounced, half-flew across the table and bowled her entirely out of her chair. She couldn't help but smile.

"It seems it was more than simple chance that had me look up to greet you, Alessandra." She called, voice slightly muffled by Vai's body as she reached up to pat her friend on the cheek.

"Please, not the scarf again. I got it fixed up all sharp for coming here, and I'd hate for you to cut yourself." She winked, pushing herself up with one hand whilst she used the other to pull her friend into a hug. "You didn't think you'd be able to leave me back home did you?" She chuckled, breath hot against Vai's ear for a moment as she whispered. "Even a wolf needs packmates."

Moving carefully so not to disentangle herself from Vai, but also so as to not damage her clothing - no mean feat, but one she accomplished with the air of one who had had long practice in that particular if eclectic art, she slowly brought both herself and Vai to their feet, and then spared another glance at the pouch of coin she'd flung to Alessandra.

"Not doing so badly for yourself so far though, I see. Although given your taste for danger, I'm not sure I want to know the story of how you got it." She'd missed this, the teasing, more than she'd realised. "Then again, you'll tell me anyway, won't you?"
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Zuberi
    Outside the Old Fang, Dockway

Zuberi catches up to the Hellknight captain before they turn down the road east. His great helmet nods, pleased. "Your cooperation will be rewarded. Wise decision. Seek the Bastion of the Nail in Naos." He gestures south. "Speak with Paralictor Darean Haist."

Varsq
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Afternoon

Guillaume the wine merchant listens to what Varsq has learned from the market over the day.

"Oh yes, I've already heard about the murder at the Shucked Oyster. Nasty business. Nothing we can do about it unless you just so happen to know who did it."

"Ha! Now that's juicy. But the Nerodins have three daughters of marrying age, and that's just the greater house. There are another five cousins. Find out who the little slut is and we'll both make a tidy sum."

"Everyone knows about the Hydrabaiting. Half the city will be there in the cheap seats! I want to know who will win. See if you can find out anything interesting about the competitors. The elf is the favorite, but there are two competitors yet that I haven't heard about. I'd like to put some money on one of the under dogs... but which one?"

Valamir
    Dockway
    Late Morning

The brutal murder is all the gossip of the Dockway. Unfortunately, by the time the details of the event have passed from a second, third or even fourth pair of lips, they're not as helpful as the plain explanation that the maralictor gave. The only additional information Valamir uncovers is that Anders Boone had procured the services of a girl named Lacy at the Shucked Oyster and a girl fitting Irène's description had been to the barroom at the brothel and had asked about him. He was found murdered in Lacy's room. Lacy says that she had left the bedroom to wash up. She was only gone fifteen minutes when she discovered the body. Anders was one of several of the Minx's sailors in the establishment last night.

Amaya
    Derexhi Villa (Guest House), Alabaster District
    Mid Morning

Around ten in the morning, Amaya is awoken by the sound of a disproving housemaid clucking her tongue at the naked girl in Shimura's bed.

"Can I get you anything, dear? Your clothes, perhaps?"

Shimura
    Derexhi Villa, Alabaster District
    Sunday Afternoon

In his office, Lord Randred Derexhi examines the finished katana with an expert (and slightly perplexed eye). "Only two days? You... you didn't happen to have a mithral katana in your bag that you're trying to pass off as original work? I don't mean that as an insult Hachiro-san; it's just that this is remarkable work for only two days. I'm very impressed and I am very pleased. Ontor, my youngest, is turning twenty one in a few weeks. I think it will make a nice gift for him."

He stands and goes to the wall safe which he unlocks with a key from his belt. "As for you," he hefts a two pound sack of coins in his hand before tossing it to the desk between them, "One hundred platinum crowns should do it. Not bad for two days work. You'll sell work like this for four times that much when you get your shop up and running. Let me know how much you need to open your business and I'll arrange for the loan."

Spoiler: Quest Complete
    Show
    Shimura earns 600 XP for finishing the blade and pleasing Randred.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-09-07 at 12:01 AM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Varsq
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Afternoon

Varsq licked his lips, which in his original form would have been a far more disgusting and cringe inducing action given his revolting form, but in his halfling disguise comes off more as a plucky sense of greed.

"Oh I know some names alright, with the murder, quite a bit actually. But it'll cost you extra."

A small grin grew across his face as he thought of leveraging the wine merchant for every coin he could.

Show

Diplomacy for haggling:(1d20+14)[16]
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

His rogue senses tingling, Valamir decided to head toward the docks and the Captain's Club, however tempting it would be to begin his inquiries at the Shucked Oyster. Upon reaching the Club (unless waylaid somehow), he knocked politely on the door (or addresses someone if there is a man outside), asking if Captain Thalin of the Minkaian Minx is there, and stating that he wishes to speak with him, or any of the Minx's sailors.

Show
    Valamir is back to his normal appearance now, by the way, having reverted out of sight in some handy alleyway.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-09-06 at 10:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

"He's going to die.", deadpanned Alessandra as Valamir rushed out the door after the Hellknights, shortly after proudly proclaiming his foolishness.

A long moment of silence stretched out, broken only by a newcomer's arrival. "Vai, glad you're finally here!", Alessandra said, catching the pouch on the table and adding it to her own coinpurse. What happened next, of course, defied all probability. As the two were reunited, she simply stared in confusion and wonder as she put the pieces together.

"Well, I was going to offer to introduce you, but clearly that isn't necessary. So, uh, Vai, how'd your shopping go?"

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Vai, Aethra, Alessandra
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

Letting herself get pulled to her feet with an excited sigh, Vai stayed wrapped up in her friend as Alessandra asked her question. Her laugh was her first response, but she moved to disentangle herself from Aethra and retrieve her chair.

"Aethra's a friend of mine from back home. My best friend, probably. Aethy, let me introduce Alessandra! She gave me some much-appreciated help when our ship docked here. What are the chances that you two would meet each other without me?"

She raised her hand and snapped towards the innkeeper.

"Excuse me, ma'am!? Some drinks please, so we can toast to fickle fortune."

That done, she returned her attention to the two women at the table.

"So, are you going to tell me what went on in here?"

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Cluck your tongue louder, the neighbors can't hear you
    Show
    Amaya
    Derexhi Villa (Guest House), Alabaster District
    Mid Morning

Around ten in the morning, Amaya is awoken by the sound of a disproving housemaid clucking her tongue at the naked girl in Shimura's bed.

"Can I get you anything, dear? Your clothes, perhaps?"

"Mmm...?" Amaya poked her head out from under the blankets, then sat up, stretching languorously. She was alone, but that wasn't such a surprise - after all, her erstwhile companion had made some mention of making a sword...

A quick glance around brought the note on the bedside table to her attention; reaching over and scooping it up, she read it slowly, smiling. How precious. Well, it wasn't wrong - she would see him tonight. The show still sounded interesting.

"Oh, no, dear." Amaya's voice was perfectly pleasant, but her eyes were steely. "I'm perfectly capable of gathering my own clothes, and even putting them on myself. Isn't that just lovely?"

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

Vai, Aethra, Alessandra
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

"Hellknights happened." Aethra replied softly before the innkeeper could reach them. "A bunch busted in, yelling about someone guilty of a ritual murder. She went running down into the sewers and they left to try and catch her. Irene...Irene Levesque, that was it. Was she on the same ship as you?

"It would apparently," she paused, then continued in a quite passable mimcry of the voice of the Hellknight's leader. "be prudent to not leave the city while the investigation is underway." She shrugged, chuckling. "We'll see."
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi

Zuberi went south in search of the Hellknight headquarters. Being new to the city, this was not as easy a task as it appeared. Nevertheless, he asked directions from passersby until he found the place. There, he told the guards on duty that he sought an audience with Paralictor Haist.

21. - Top - End - #351

Show
    Irène
    Sewers, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

"Irene!" is the muffled, echoing yell down the long sewer tunnels behind her. "Innocent people don't run. If you have nothing to hide, submit!"

Irène had gained a precious few seconds as the Hellknights, all human, had to activate the ioun torches from their supplies to chase after her in the pitch black. She hears the clanking of their armor grow more distant as she rounds the corner and sprints down towards Goblin Town. She passes the site of their battle the day before and finds the corpses of the three goblins propped up against the central pillar. They've been maimed posthumously; they bare claw marks and look like they've had their throats torn out. Their intestines lay on the ground in front of them. A dozen rats gnaw at the remains, but scatter at Irène's approach. Taking a right turn at the next T-intersection, it's only a hundred feet until she arrives at four way junction. In the middle of the paths, someone has baited a bear trap with a dead dire rat. On the left-hand wall, there is a crude image of a grinning goblin scraped into the masonry.

Irène paused at the junction. Stopping to catch her breath, she looked to the left, to the right, ahead.

What am I doing? I'm not a fugitive! I'm not a criminal!

A pause.

They're diabolists! Chelaxians! You can't trust them!She clutched her head in her hands.

But they don't sound like they want to kill me...

But that doesn't mean I can trust them!

You don't even know why they want you.

Is it worth the risk to find out?

Her hands trembling,
    Irène offered a fervent prayer.

"Great Dreamer, Starsong, Tender of Dreams, if you are listening... Please send me a sign that I'm doing the right thing."

And moving forward,
    Irène went down the western tunnel, deftly sidestepping the bear trap.

Show
    I really, really, really, really hope that I'm doing the right thing.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Vai, Aethra, Alessandra
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

"Hellknights happened." Aethra replied softly before the innkeeper could reach them. "A bunch busted in, yelling about someone guilty of a ritual murder. She went running down into the sewers and they left to try and catch her. Irene...Irene Levesque, that was it. Was she on the same ship as you?

"It would apparently," she paused, then continued in a quite passable mimcry of the voice of the Hellknight's leader. "be prudent to not leave the city while the investigation is underway." She shrugged, chuckling. "We'll see."

Vai, Aethra, Alessandra
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

Vai leaned back in her chair and gave a low whistle at the mention of Hell Knights.

"Irene? She was on the ship, yes. Didn't seem the type."

She turned to look towards the bar.

"That drink sure is taking its time."

She stared a few moments more before her attention returned to the two women.

"Well, they may not want you leaving town but that doesn't mean you can't leave this bar. Alessandra and I have some business to conclude - how'd you like to tag along? I could introduce you to my cousin."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-09-08 at 03:14 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Vai, Aethra, Alessandra
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

"I'd love to, and I've always wanted to meet cousin Skiloni properly." Aethra smiled, inclining her head to Alessandra. "My deepest thanks for keeping Vai safe, Alessandra." She ruffled her friend's hair playfully. "She sometimes has this habit of jumping into things a bit fast."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2015-09-08 at 05:59 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

Irène
    Sewers, Dockway

Trepidatiously advancing down the western passage, Irène eventually spots the unmistakable glow of daylight. It was perhaps then she realize that following the flow of the water in the channel would always lead her to the ocean eventually. The sewer gave way to a small rocky beach that was all but submerged as high tide. A sort of footpath to her right lead up, back to the Dockway. Anticlimactic? Perhaps. But the slimy rocks and scavenging crabs were a more welcome sight than dozens of demonic goblins.

A crab the size of a small dog looks suspiciously her way, as if to ask, 'are you going to eat that?' before dragging a claw-full of filth towards his mouth and chomping noisily at it.

While the vague direction of "west" did indicate the way Beacon's Point (and the increasingly frequent goblin sightings, according to Asher), there was a bay between the two districts. One would have to go farther south before heading west to enter Beacon's Point by way of the sewers.

Varsq
    Bazaar of Sails

Guillaume draws his hand up as if to strike Varsq on the ear, but then thinks better of it. "Listen here little man. Don't bull**** me. I invented bull****. There's no bull at all: I dressed up a cow like a bull with little papier-mâché horns and sold it as a bull for twice the money!" He continues to scowl. "I already know the name of the victim. Dead men aren't worth anything. This whole bloody business is the same as every other horrible thing that happens every night in this city -- people only noticed because this time, someone ruined a nice mattress! Make yourself useful and see if you can find out the pregnant Nerodin girl. That's money in that. And don't think about crossing me -- you won't find anyone better than me to buy the dirt."

Valamir
    Captain's Club, Dockway

Despite initially being turned at the door away by a hulking Ulfen bouncer, Valamir does mange to politely attract the attention of the proprietor who agrees to see him outside. At a glance it's difficult to tell where she's from. Her hair is shock white and she's painted her lips to match. A nasty scar sits over her right eyebrow, peeking out from beneath her fuchsia tricorn. She might be charitably described as pretty, despite her unusual appearance. At least she has a nice figure. "Yes, Captain Thalin was here yesterday, but he's gone to claim his man's remains and arrange for a proper burial at sea. They've taken what's left of the poor sod to the temple of Pharasma in Keystone."

Amaya
    Derexhi Villa, Alabaster District

Amaya is swiftly shooed off the Derexhi's property by way of the servant's entrance.

Now officially on a self imposed quest for excitement and or fun (and or more casual sex) she sets off north. The first thing of interest she sees is a large plaza with a long oval fountain and copses of willows. At the far western end of the plaza there looked to be a large open air building. A modicum of investigation lead to the discovery of a sign identify the park as the Lord Mayor's Menagerie. In addition to imploring passersby to "Come see Prince Mandali", a post informed her that the hydras for this evening's event at the hippodrome were being kept within the facility and were also available for viewing until then.

Zuberi
    Bastion of the Nail, Naos

The impressively named Bastion of the Nail was little more than a windowless, squat, square tower of dark grey stone. There were no guards at the entrance, but within he found a spartan room with a single man in a drab uniform behind a desk. When Zuberi inquired the Paralictor, and informed the clerk that he'd come to provide information about the fugitive Irène Levesque, he showed the monk to a short hallway and then to the commander's office. A name plate identified him as Paralictor Haist, as he didn't. He didn't bother to rise from his chair, introduce himself, shake hands or even ask why Zuberi had come.

"Go on then. What can you tell me about this Levesque girl?"

Darean Haist was a severe looking man in his late forties with a long, gaunt face and greying blond hair. Dressed in his imperious black armor, spare the helm, his sallow cheekbones and weak neck made him look a bit comical. The only thing of any color in the entire office was the red silk band he wore around his neck.

Vai, Aethra, Alessandra
    Old Fang, Dockway

Initially oblivious to the order and visibly distraught by the incident with the Hellknights, Ol' Mam finally brought around three weak house ales for the ladies -- as they had failed to specify their order. Chewing on her gums, she wanders in the direction of the kitchen without a word.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-09-08 at 08:59 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir
    Captain's Club, Dockway

Despite initially being turned at the door away by a hulking Ulfen bouncer, Valamir does mange to politely attract the attention of the proprietor who agrees to see him outside. At a glance it's difficult to tell where she's from. Her hair is shock white and she's painted her lips to match. A nasty scar sits over her right eyebrow, peeking out from beneath her fuchsia tricorn. She might be charitably described as pretty, despite her unusual appearance. At least she has a nice figure. "Yes, Captain Thalin was here yesterday, but he's gone to claim his man's remains and arrange for a proper burial at sea. They've taken what's left of the poor sod to the temple of Pharasma in Keystone."
    Valamir

"Then that is where I must go! But first, a detour to the Minx." Valamir replies. "I thank you for the information; may your taps never run dry." With that, Valamir heads for the Minx, eager to find any of the sailors who may have information.

26. - Top - End - #356

Show
    Irène
    Sewers, Dockway

Trepidatiously advancing down the western passage, Irène eventually spots the unmistakable glow of daylight. It was perhaps then she realize that following the flow of the water in the channel would always lead her to the ocean eventually. The sewer gave way to a small rocky beach that was all but submerged as high tide. A sort of footpath to her right lead up, back to the Dockway. Anticlimactic? Perhaps. But the slimy rocks and scavenging crabs were a more welcome sight than dozens of demonic goblins.

A crab the size of a small dog looks suspiciously her way, as if to ask, 'are you going to eat that?' before dragging a claw-full of filth towards his mouth and chomping noisily at it.

While the vague direction of "west" did indicate the way Beacon's Point (and the increasingly frequent goblin sightings, according to Asher), there was a bay between the two districts. One would have to go farther south before heading west to enter Beacon's Point by way of the sewers.

Then, all of a sudden, Irène notices an indigo butterfly briefly alight on a rock before flying away east, up the coast.

Irène could not help but smile sadly at the sight of the crab. Ordinarily, this would present the perfect opportunity to catch it, a gift to Mam for her hospitality. Now, she was on the run from a force she did not understand, for an offense that she had no idea of and did not commit.

Looking back over her shoulder, Irène briefly pondered going back into the sewers, of continuing south toward Beacon's Point.

Then, she saw it. A beautiful indigo butterfly, completely out of place with its surroundings, alighting delicately on a rock before flying to the east.

Tears of happiness sprang into Irène's eyes as she clasped her hands. "Thank you. Thank you, Great Dreamer."

Picking her way up the coast, Irène followed the path up back into the Dockway.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Irene will resume following Valamir's original instructions to head to Sandpoint until the next development in the plot happens. She will take back alleys whenever possible; when forced to blend with the crowd she will gravitate toward larger groups and try to walk in a confident, yet brisk manner - as if she has somewhere to be without seeming anxious.

Her heretofore unused hood will also be draped over her head at this time

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Vai, Aethra, Alessandra
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

Initially oblivious to the order and visibly distraught by the incident with the Hellknights, Ol' Mam finally brought around three weak house ales for the ladies -- as they had failed to specify their order. Chewing on her gums, she wanders in the direction of the kitchen without a word.

Vai, Aethra, Alessandra
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

Vai took a deep draught of the ale...and nearly spat it back into her mug. She eventually swallowed it with a sour look on her face and shot a poisonous look at the door to the kitchen.

"Slow and inept. It's a wonder you didn't have bedbugs, Alessandra."

Vai neglected to finish the remainder of her drink, throwing a few coppers onto the table.

"Now, come on! The day is young! Plenty of time for some high adventure."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Vai, Aethra, Alessandra
    Old Fang, Dockway
    Sunday Morning

Alessandra cracks a smile at the pair joking and catching up before her, but eventually nods as if confirming some imperceptible gesture. "Why don't you two go ahead and meet up with Skiloni without me? I've got a few errands to run, but I can meet you there later." She takes a good swig of the drink. House ale is nothing special, but it is alcohol, and sometimes that's enough.

Excusing herself with a nod, she pushes her chair out from the table, stands up, and adds a few coppers to cover her tab before heading back up to her room to gather her remaining possessions. Once Vai and Aethra have left, she purposefully walks to the kitchen door and knocks to get Ol' Mam's attention. "Hey, Mam, are you gonna be alright? You seemed a little shaken up."
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2015-09-09 at 01:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Varsq
    Bazaar of Sails
    Sunday Afternoon

Varsq's eyes quickly went wide as he saw the reaction that the merchant had to him trying to fib a little rumor for some more gold. Throwing up his hands in a defensive position he slowly backed away and stammered out.

"Sorry! I guess I heard wrong, heh, uh I'll get right back to you on that I will. Promise!"

And with that he quickly turned tail and fled to the Alabaster District, hoping to shake some branches and see what he could scavenge. As he walked away he began to grind his teeth habitually, anger and vitriol barely contained under the surface in equal measure as he thought of a myriad of atrocious things to do to the wine merchant who'd dare think of assaulting him.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi

The monk bowed to the Hellknight.
    "Paralictor Haist. I am called Zuberi, new to the city by way of northern Garund. I was aboard the same ship as Iréne Levesque, and have since stayed at the same inn as she the past few nights. I believe I have an alibi vouching for her innocence in the current investigation. The information I have might stretch credibility, so I am willing to submit to truth-telling magic if necessary. Simply put: I only sleep around two hours each night. I received special training as a youth such that two hours provides all the rest I require to function. Last night, I only was unconscious for around two hours before sunrise; the rest of the night I spent in meditation, but otherwise in control of my senses and aware of my surroundings. Not a soul stirred at the inn for many dark, quiet hours. I observed Iréne retire to her room upstairs well before midnight, and heard nor saw anything to suggest she left her room at any point. She could have left the inn before sunrise when I was truly insensate, but I do not believe the time of the murder aligns properly in that case. And for what it is worth, the Iréne I know, albeit briefly, is a devout follower of Desna, a faith not associated with murderers.
    While her actions fleeing your agents do not seem to be those of an innocent, I believe she was largely motivated by fright. A Desnan fears incarceration more than death, for theirs is a faith of freedom and wanderlust. It is certainly possible she could have perpetrated a murder by some fell magic, but I do not believe she is guilty of this crime, on my honor."