Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Peril and Fame (IC)

Spoiler: Previously
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Vai and Alessandra
    Rag's End, Beacon's Point

Scouting out Beacon's Point, the pair first arrive at what they soon learn is Jaijarko's Castle -- an odd name for a precariously built fire hazard of tenements piled atop one another. At a glance, there's no telling how many souls live in and around this shanty town. People leer out of their windows and doorways.

Passing what must be the main entrance to the residential complex they spot four consciously dressed guards or enforcers dressed in short red jackets with bright brass buttons. They're armed with crossbows and rapiers.

One of the four, a skinny Chelish man, calls out, "Hey! I like your curls, love! Want to make some coin? It'll match your pretty hair!"

"Better charge him for the whole hour upfront, girl. It's good money for two minutes work," says the one woman among them with a sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Vai and Alessandra

Vai paused for a moment before winking at Alessandra and stepping closer to the four guards with a coquettish smile.

"How could I say no to a man in uniform? But I hope you have somewhere private, handsome - I might get a bit tongue-tied if your friends are watching."

Spoiler
    Show
    Nef, I'd like to fade to black and us my Profession skill along with a a Bluff check to discreetly get some details out of this guy regarding the Night Scales.

Profession (Courtesan): (1d20+12)[28]

Bluff: [roll1]

Vai and Alessandra

"You're not actually going to - " says Alessandra, eyes wide. "You are. You can't be serious."

Nevertheless, even as the two of them disappear behind a corner, the rake sighs and briefly places her face in her hands. "I don't know why she insists on making my life difficult.", Alessandra says to the three remaining guards. "Her father would throw a fit if he learned of this, and it's not like she actually needs the money. I try to let her have some privacy, but she makes it hard to do my job when she insists on being alone with strange men."

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff Check: (1d20+12)[28]
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2015-08-10 at 06:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Spoiler: Previously!
    Show
    Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

"Asher,"
    he answers, kicking his boots up and lurching out of the chair. "Goblins are intelligent (sort of) but they're like any other beast. Plenty of food and a lack of predators and they'll breed out of control. They've been feeding on the scraps of the city for years and they're fairly safe in the sewer. Down there, they can easily avoid most monsters that would eat them. The watch doesn't want to start a panic, but they've gotten so numerous that they're starting to venture out at night. First pets go missing, then it will be babies."

He swallows hard and unknowingly clenches the pommel of his sword. "I'd like to do something about it, but going down there alone is suicide, no matter how good you are."

Valamir looked the young man up and down, scratching his chin thoughtfully. "Might be worth taking a look down there, I suppose. The priestess at the temple did tell me to explore, though I doubt she had the sewers in mind. Still, it wouldn't be a bad way to get to know part of the city, which might come in handy down the road. Can you handle that fancy blade you got there, lad?"
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show
    Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

"Asher,"
    he answers, kicking his boots up and lurching out of the chair. "Goblins are intelligent (sort of) but they're like any other beast. Plenty of food and a lack of predators and they'll breed out of control. They've been feeding on the scraps of the city for years and they're fairly safe in the sewer. Down there, they can easily avoid most monsters that would eat them. The watch doesn't want to start a panic, but they've gotten so numerous that they're starting to venture out at night. First pets go missing, then it will be babies."

He swallows hard and unknowingly clenches the pommel of his sword. "I'd like to do something about it, but going down there alone is suicide, no matter how good you are."

Irčne frowned, and approached Asher. "If what you say is even remotely true - and I have no doubt that it is - you can count on at least one other helping hand." She extended a hand in greeting. "Irčne Levesque, priestess of Desna, and a fairly deft hand with magic. I'm not so bad with a morningstar, either."
    Everything dissolves into blue.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi had trained to defend himself from multiple assailants while blindfolded. The two thugs were a threat far beneath his skill, and he took no satisfaction as he left one of them a senseless heap in the dust. The other was fleeing, as behooved him, but Zuberi would have words with him.

With alacrity approaching the super-human, Zuberi streaked after the fleeing man, before executing an incredible leap. Soaring above the man's head, he landed softly a good ten feet in front of him.

"Stop. You cannot outrun me. Drop your weapon, now."

Spoiler
    Show

Zuberi will spend a ki point as a swift action to add +20 to Acrobatics checks to jump, then make a running jump after the thug, aiming to land 10 ft. in front of him.
    Acrobatics: (1d20+45)[50]

Edit: That's a 50 ft. leap, clearing around 12 ft. in height at the apex, so he would have jumped when he was about 40 ft. behind the thug. This is likely a double move, but Zuberi can move up to 100 ft. with a double move.

He'll then make an Intimidate check, if appropriate. Perhaps he gets some sort of circumstance bonus?
    (1d20-1)[7]
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2015-08-10 at 07:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Vai

Men like to talk when they're happy. Vai is able to elicit the following information: The men in the red jackets work for Rassimeri Jaijarko. Jaijarko is a rich man and his enforcers are well compensated. They "try to stay above petty gang politics" and "everyone respects Jaijarko". He further supposes that Jaijarko will be rich enough soon to buy out Lost Lane from the Night Scales -- a series of rundown shops near the heart of Rag's End.

She also earns 1 gold piece for her work.

Alessandra

The two men snigger and the woman asks, "What, is your friend some kind of noble girl? Looking to blow off a little steam and piss off daddy?" She looks genuinely interested in any potential gossip.

Shimura
    Derexhi Villa, Alabaster District

Randred nods, absently stroking the scar on his jawline. "That's right. If your work impresses me, I'll give you a fair price for the blade and cover the additional expense of getting your shop up and running if you're still short. You'll own your shop outright and you can take your time paying me back. In return, I want my family to have priority status on commissions -- and I will have a lot of commissions for you. For your first piece, I want a mithral katana, just as fine as the one you're holding. I've always wanted a proper one, but, like I said, the city is full of cheap imitations."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-10 at 09:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Vai

Men like to talk when they're happy. Vai is able to elicit the following information: The men in the red jackets work for Rassimeri Jaijarko. Jaijarko is a rich man and his enforcers are well compensated. They "try to stay above petty gang politics" and "everyone respects Jaijarko". He further supposes that Jaijarko will be rich enough soon to buy out Lost Lane from the Night Scales -- a series of rundown shops near the heart of Rag's End.

She also earns 1 gold piece for her work.

Vai and Alessandra

Vai emerged from the alley little worse for wear, save for a wrinkle or two in the illusory fabric of her clothing. When the eyes of Alessandra and the other guards found her, she licked her lips slowly and arched her back before crooning.

"You should give your friend a minute to collect himself."

She continued on to Alessandra's side, where her head tilted down in a dusky murmur.

"Let's go. I got what I came for."

She turned once more to wink at the assembled enforcers, then began making her way out of Rag's End, towards the camp of the Wreckwash Blades.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously: An offer I can't refuse.
    Show
    Shimura

Randred nods, absently stroking the scar on his jawline. "That's right. If your work impresses me, I'll give you a fair price for the blade and cover the additional expense of getting your shop up and running if you're still short. You'll own your shop outright and you can take your time paying me back. In return, I want my family to have priority status on commissions -- and I will have a lot of commissions for you. For your first piece, I want a mithral katana, just as fine as the one you're holding. I've always wanted a proper one, but, like I said, the city is full of cheap imitations."

"Of course. I trust you have someone who can give me directions and answer simple questions? I would like to meet with you again before I start on the blade, if you have any requests for the design, but I don't want to keep you from your game any longer." If the meeting is over Shimura will speak with someone about directions to the workshop and plan to visit first thing in the morning to get acquainted with the location.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Asher folds his arms. "I'm not the best swordsman in the city, but I'm faster than a goblin. I've been patrolling the streets at night, but it's not enough to just catch them in the act. I can't personally reward you for helping out, but there is the bounty and we can split any treasure we find as well. If you're really up to traipsing around the sewers, why don't you meet me here tomorrow, just before dawn. They'll be tired and retreating to their lairs then."

He smooths back an out of place piece of hair and smirks. "And bring some soap. Trust me."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Asher folds his arms. "I'm not the best swordsman in the city, but I'm faster than a goblin. I've been patrolling the streets at night, but it's not enough to just catch them in the act. I can't personally reward you for helping out, but there is the bounty and we can split any treasure we find as well. If you're really up to traipsing around the sewers, why don't you meet me here tomorrow, just before dawn. They'll be tired and retreating to their lairs then."

He smooths back an out of place piece of hair and smirks. "And bring some soap. Trust me."
    Valamir

"Are you planning on washing the goblins before or after we kill them?" Valamir joked. "Now then, I'm hungry."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Show
    Alessandra

The two men snigger and the woman asks, "What, is your friend some kind of noble girl? Looking to blow off a little steam and piss off daddy?" She looks genuinely interested in any potential gossip.
    Vai and Alessandra

Vai emerged from the alley little worse for wear, save for a wrinkle or two in the illusory fabric of her clothing. When the eyes of Alessandra and the other guards found her, she licked her lips slowly and arched her back before crooning.

"You should give your friend a minute to collect himself."

She continued on to Alessandra's side, where her head tilted down in a dusky murmur.

"Let's go. I got what I came for."

She turned once more to wink at the assembled enforcers, then began making her way out of Rag's End, towards the camp of the Wreckwash Blades.

Vai and Alessandra

"Among others.", Alessandra grumbles.

Soon enough though, Vai returns, and she quickly nods to the guards before leaving. As soon as they're out of earshot, the woman snorts slightly. "So, was it everything you expected and more?"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Zuberi
    Shrine of Sarenrae, Underbridge

The cutthroat stares incredulously at Zuberi for a few seconds before tossing his weapon away and falling to his knees. His mouth hangs agape and for a moment it looks as if he might say something, but he just shakes his head and continues on in dumb bewilderment.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Vai and Alessandra

"Among others.", Alessandra grumbles.

Soon enough though, Vai returns, and she quickly nods to the guards before leaving. As soon as they're out of earshot, the woman snorts slightly. "So, was it everything you expected and more?"

Vai and Alessandra

Vai smiled at Alessandra's snort. Shrugging, she began walking backwards to speak with the Chelish woman.

"There's no rule against having a little fun on a reconnaissance mission. Especially not when you realize those finely uniformed toughs work for a man named Rassimeri Jaijarko who is apparently above gang politics. A powerful man, who might just move to take something he though was owed him. Say, from a certain Sczarni."

Vai winked again, before ducking into an alley.

"Now come, let me change your clothes to their colors so we can proceed with this charade."

As she spoke, Vai's features began to shift to match those of the female enforcer they'd left at Rag's End.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Show
    Vai and Alessandra

Vai smiled at Alessandra's snort. Shrugging, she began walking backwards to speak with the Chelish woman.

"There's no rule against having a little fun on a reconnaissance mission. Especially not when you realize those finely uniformed toughs work for a man named Rassimeri Jaijarko who is apparently above gang politics. A powerful man, who might just move to take something he though was owed him. Say, from a certain Sczarni."

Vai winked again, before ducking into an alley.

"Now come, let me change your clothes to their colors so we can proceed with this charade."

As she spoke, Vai's features began to shift to match those of the female enforcer they'd left at Rag's End.

Vai and Alessandra

Alessandra only grins as she accepts the Prestidigitation charm.

"Oh, changing faces already? Too bad, my extravagant lies about your last image as some rebellious noble's daughter will go to waste then. Alright, where to next?"

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Vai and Alessandra

Alessandra only grins as she accepts the Prestidigitation charm.

"Oh, changing faces already? Too bad, my extravagant lies about your last image as some rebellious noble's daughter will go to waste then. Alright, where to next?"

Vai and Alessandra

Vai laughed as she completed the prestidigitation.

"Well, we'll have to revisit the naughty noblewoman, then. We shouldn't let a good face go to waste."

Finished, Vai gave Alessandra an appraising glance before nodding slightly.

"Why, to pay a visit to Donal Carent of course, to relieve him of all his worldly burdens."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

15. - Top - End - #165

Show

"I'm not the best swordsman in the city, but I'm faster than a goblin. I've been patrolling the streets at night, but it's not enough to just catch them in the act. I can't personally reward you for helping out, but there is the bounty and we can split any treasure we find as well. If you're really up to traipsing around the sewers, why don't you meet me here tomorrow, just before dawn. They'll be tired and retreating to their lairs then. And bring some soap. Trust me."
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    "Are you planning on washing the goblins before or after we kill them?" Valamir joked. "Now then, I'm hungry."

"Duly noted." Irčne chuckled at the warning to bring soap before turning to Valamir. "And I concur. Some supper would be marvelous."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Vai and Alessandra

Alessandra had a short laugh of her own. "Ah, very good. I'm looking forward to our formal introduction with Mister Carent.", she says matter-of-factly. She does take a brief moment to inspect herself as well, frowning slightly. "Do you think you can make this scarf of mine a darker shade while you're at it? Red-on-red clashes terribly, but burgundy could work."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

We don't really need another set of posts involving matters of pure fashion sense; feel free to move this along.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2015-08-11 at 08:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi sat crosslegged next to the bewildered thug, his face a mask of utter calm.

"I am curious why you and your accomplice decided to attack me. If it is amenable to you, let us return to your friend and make sure he is alright. I deliberately chose not to inflict lasting harm on both of you; it would be wise to remember that I exercised restraint. If you both answer to a superior of some kind, I will understand if it is in your best interest to part ways with me, otherwise I would offer to purchase both of you a meal and converse like civilized men."

Zuberi's voice was very collected; there was no sense of malice, anger, or resentment. After a moment, he realized the thug might have difficulty absorbing his words.

"Do you understand what I am saying to you? I wish neither of you harm. Indeed, I wish to atone for the pain I inflicted upon you if I can."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Shimura

Lord Derexhi offers the guest quarters to Shimura for the few days he'll need to complete the blade. Well, a guest quarters anyway, located across the courtyard and apart from the main house. Sharing the guest house currently are a middle aged wizard and a dwarven jeweler who mostly keep to themselves, except for when dinner is served. They take a polite interest in Shimura and his prospective work as fellow professionals.

The workshop and forge are likewise located in the family compound. An young blacksmith is on hand to provide assistance when necessary, but otherwise busies himself forging new horseshoes.

Valamir and Irčne
    Irespan

After supping at the Old Fang, Valamir and Irčne conclude the day with a trip to the top of the Irespan. And they're like, 'Wow, this bridge is pretty awesome and huge, right?'

Spoiler: Oooh!" "Aaah!
    Show
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-12 at 08:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Huffing a little as she completed the hike up onto the top of the enormous ruined bridge that was the Irespan, Irčne took a moment to climb a little higher, seeking a good vantage point from which to really view the city of Magnimar.

It did not disappoint.

Everything was visible to the priestess at that moment, the city a vast carpet of dancing lights and murmuring voices as the people went to bed. Little twinkling motes of light as fires and candles were lit served to mirror the heavens above, their movement reminding her of the dances of the heavens. And around the city, in either direction, the dark blanket of the sea and forest and hills, a bluish green that was augmented by her... natural visual talents, completed the ensemble, stretching out into the infinite horizon. It was a sight worthy of the greatest tapestry. Of the greatest dream.

Climbing down from her vantage point,
    Irčne walked a little further onto the bridge, looking over at the very edge at the pounding surf. Taking a deep breath, she let the aroma of salt and sea pour through her being, closing her eyes as she tried to center herself. Then, turning around, she walked back a good distance back into the center, her eyes still closed.

For a minute, she stood still.

Then, opening her arms like a great swan, sending Stjerne flapping off onto the nearest ledge, she broke out into a whirling dance, trusting in the light of the stars to guide her steps, heedless of where they might take her.

(Of course, she had taken precautions beforehand by making sure she wasn't close to the edge, but still.)

With great bounds and leaps, sweeps and pirouettes, Irene flowed around the surface of the bridge, her long billowing garments moving behind her.

Then, with a final flourish, she bowed, recumbent upon the ground.

And she thought of the future, and the mysteries and opportunities it might bring.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perform (Dance): (1d20+12)[22]

On a side note, when Irene does level up, I've been thinking about taking the Exalted prestige class. It would have to be at 9th level to meet the feat requirements, but still, would that be alright?

Eventually, Irčne stood up once more, her snowy owl companion flapping back over to her shoulder, and rejoined Valamir. "On the ship, you mentioned that before coming on this journey you had been the join owner of a tavern. Now that you're here, what are your plans for the immediate future?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-08-12 at 08:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Bridge stuff...

For his part, Valamir was silent for most of the climb (saving his breath for the exertion), and mused silently over the day's events to that point. Once they gained the summit, Valamir spent some time exploring the area and looking around to get the lay of both the city and the surrounding lands. He gazed down at the many twisting streets and thought back to his home in Kintargo. All cities were both similar and dissimilar at the same time, and for different reasons. Magnimar felt more open; more welcoming, he thought. Kintargo was far more welcoming than most Chelaxian cities, but it still had the dark cloud of Chelaxian rule hanging over it, a storm ready to break upon its citizens. Valamir's thoughts were broken when he spotted Irčne move about. She was a priestess of Desna, he mused, the goddess he followed as well. He wondered how long he would remain in Magnimar before the wanderlust took him again. He grinned. Hopefully long enough to become rich.

Valamir continued to watch Irčne dance with fascination and applauded, a smile on his face. "Very lovely, my dear. Very lovely indeed. Talented young women are such jewels."

He then listened to Irčne's question, nodding as she finished. "You remember well. If you are ever in Kintargo, visit The Lonely Ghost Inn and Tavern. That would be my old place. Valora's now, of course. Never figured the lass had a head for business. It was always opera or politics. But she had me fooled!" He laughed, mostly at himself, before continuing.

"Anyway, the other thing you simply must do if you visit Kintargo is take in a Chelish opera. It is quite literally to die for, at times. Politics in Cheliax, you know," he added with a grin. "As for my immediate future, well first I would like to accompany a charming young priestess of Lady Luck back to her room for the evening, and retire for my own room for a good night's sleep. We have goblins to wash and kill, or kill and wash, if you recall?"

It was obvious by now that Valamir was stringing on the conversation, giving himself away by the somewhat impish smile he wore. "But if you mean in the near future, well...I have a mind to start a new tavern or inn of sorts. Perhaps even a place of refuge for those polite society has pushed to the edges, if you catch my meaning?"

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Zuberi

Exhausted from his short exertion, the cutthroat falls to his knees. Despite Zuberi's calm tone and understanding words, he cowers. "Okay, okay! I'm sorry! Our boss: there's something wrong with him. He won't come out of his room and he just demands loot -- way more than we can make picking pockets and begging! The lads that tried standing up to him... I don't... I don't know... there's something wrong with him."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi listened intently. It was no coincidence this encounter had occurred outside the defaced shrine of Sarenrae. Zuberi would stand as a proxy for her mercy. Motivated by fear and self-preservation, these men were victims just as much as they were misguided predators. He placed a hand on the man, lifting him to his feet, and began to walk back to where he had knocked the other thug unconscious. He kept a hand on the shaken man's arm, gentle enough to reassure the man he meant him no harm, but firm enough to prevent him from running again.

"Tell me of your plight, then. Perhaps I can help you, through wisdom or action. This boss of yours leads a criminal syndicate of some kind?"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Vai and Alessandra

Returned to the Tower Girls camp, Vai gladly took a seat and a bottle as she and Alessandra recounted their adventure to Terisha. At her cousin's concern over the midnight slaughter, Vai could simply shrug and smile sadly.

"It was indeed a shame to spill so much Varisian blood, Terisha, but does Calistria not teach us that every slight should be repaid tenfold? They may have been Varisian, but it was they who betrayed the bonds of blood in betraying you and the rest of the Tower Girls. Their deaths and Carent's ruination were but the fiery signs of Calistria's wrath delivered through this humble vessel. I do not plan on making a habit of it."

Vai placed a hand over her heart before taking another pull from the wine bottle.

"Regardless, the increased scrutiny on the Dockway may present an opportunity. If the guard become focused on the deaths there and any potential reprisal Carent undertakes, that might allow for the Tower Girls to regroup and grow strong again outside of the public eye. If nothing else, should Carent turn his base cunning to reprisal then our people might be freed of that half-breed leech in Rag's End."

Vai placed the bottle on the ground and leaned back on her elbows, unleashing a brilliant and predatory smile.

"But come, you mentioned the rest of the Tower Girls would be returning here at nightfall. I wish to meet the rest of our sisters!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check on Terisha to help her see things my way:
    (1d20+14)[31]

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

24. - Top - End - #174

Irčne bantered back and forth with Valamir as he talked.

"Very lovely, my dear. Very lovely indeed. Talented young women are such jewels."
    Irčne smiled. "Many of Desna's most sacred rituals involve the art of dance, and it provokes a certain feeling of freedom, as well. I find it helps to calm and focus the mind."

"You remember well. If you are ever in Kintargo, visit The Lonely Ghost Inn and Tavern. That would be my old place. Valora's now, of course. Never figured the lass had a head for business. It was always opera or politics. But she had me fooled!"

"Anyway, the other thing you simply must do if you visit Kintargo is take in a Chelish opera. It is quite literally to die for, at times. Politics in Cheliax, you know, as for my immediate future, well first I would like to accompany a charming young priestess of Lady Luck back to her room for the evening, and retire for my own room for a good night's sleep. We have goblins to wash and kill, or kill and wash, if you recall?"
    Irčne nodded firmly, a small smirk on her face. "Rest assured, I have not forgotten about tomorrow's goblin hunt."

"But if you mean in the near future, well...I have a mind to start a new tavern or inn of sorts. Perhaps even a place of refuge for those polite society has pushed to the edges, if you catch my meaning?"
    Irčne paused slightly as she considered Valamir's words. Her eyes flickered downward, focusing in particular on her long, thick, white gloves.

"Nothing too outlandish, I should hope. I may stand for a goddess of liberation and chaos, but... I've seen what happens when things tip too far to one side of the scale."Unwelcome memories of the chaos of Galt came to the forefront of the priestess' mind.

"But, in any case... let us return and rest up for the morrow. It will be a long day."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Early Starday morning, Asher greets Valamir and Irčne downstairs. In fact, he knocks on your doors if you haven't joined him by six o'clock. Thankfully, he does buy a bit of breakfast for the group.

"Some nasty business went on while you were asleep," he says between bites of fried egg and toast. "The Wreckwash Blades' camp was attacked last night. The guard told me there's six dead with two on the mends now. Something just went into their barracks and started hacking lads to pieces. Lot of them died in their beds. One of them had his head beaten out against a wall."

Spoiler: Valamir
    Show
    Mark off 1.5 gp for your room and a few silver for food (depending on Valamir's tastes).

Zuberi

"I'm not a good man, but if you were to take Doolun out of this world, you'd be doing it a favor. He's holed up in the Rat Piling with the few lads still loyal to him. Loyal to death."

He gestures north east to the Irespan column out in the water a ways, just off the rocky beach.

"If you'll let me go, I swear I won't hurt nobody ever again. No stealing neither! Just honest begging."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-13 at 06:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Irčne paused slightly as she considered Valamir's words. Her eyes flickered downward, focusing in particular on her long, thick, white gloves.

"Nothing too outlandish, I should hope. I may stand for a goddess of liberation and chaos, but... I've seen what happens when things tip too far to one side of the scale."Unwelcome memories of the chaos of Galt came to the forefront of the priestess' mind.

"But, in any case... let us return and rest up for the morrow. It will be a long day."

"Outlandish? No, nothing outlandish. Nothing like that the Sczarni are into, for example. I am a businessman, after all, and death and destruction are not only bad things in their own right, but bad for business as well." He fell silent for a while as they made their way back toward the inn, pondering what Irčne must be thinking. He didn't consider himself a bad person. After all, he gave to the clergy of Desna regularly...sometimes. Helped out orphans and beggers from time to time; after all, he'd been one himself. So what if he wanted to earn a little extra gold by avoiding those inconvenient government taxes and customs dues, or smuggled in "perverse and subversive material" (according to the Chelish government)? Maybe such things were legal in Magnimar anyway. He'd have to find out. "Or maybe I'll turn over a new leaf, meet a nice girl, and settle down. Who knows? That's the fun of a new city. So many interesting possibilities!" Valamir wondered at Irčne's goals as well, and made up his mind to find out as much about his new acquaintance as possible...tomorrow. It was getting late, and thinking about morality made him sleepy.

Valamir woke to the knock at his door, dressed, and came down to breakfast. He was finishing adjustments to his gear when Asher mentioned some commotion. "The Wreckwash Blades, you say? Any idea who, or what it was, and how I can stay away from it?" He grinned slightly, but was far more curious than concerned. He idly wondered if their belongings had yet been picked over by scavengers. Probably, if he was hearing about the news at breakfast. "Where are the two who didn't die? Might be interesting to find out more straight from the horse's...uh...mouth, so to speak."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge check on the Wreckwash Blades? If Valamir doesn't know, he asks Asher.

Edit: Also, took off 2g for expenses. Valamir likes to eat well.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-08-14 at 12:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi let go of the man's arm.

"Very well. See to your compatriot; the bruises should fade after a few days. My name is Zuberi. I am new to the city, so I do not know where you might find me if you wish to seek me out in the future. Just know that there is always hope. The path to redemption is long and often painful, but never give in to despair. Farewell."

He left the man, taking note of the pillar he had pointed out and the name he had mentioned. His own words had struck a chord with him; he too was on the path to redemption. Perhaps Sarenrae had shown him a sign, a reason for his presence in the city. He thanked her as he made his way toward a nicer part of the city.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm ready to proceed to the next day, if that's the general consensus. Zuberi will need to find a place to stay the night. He's also looking for any sign of the city watch or constabulary. He has some questions for them.

28. - Top - End - #178

"Outlandish? No, nothing outlandish. Nothing like that the Sczarni are into, for example. I am a businessman, after all, and death and destruction are not only bad things in their own right, but bad for business as well. Or maybe I'll turn over a new leaf, meet a nice girl, and settle down. Who knows? That's the fun of a new city. So many interesting possibilities!"
    Irčne smiled once more, satisfied with Valamir's answer. "Indeed."

*** The Next Day... ***

Being a perpetual night owl (whose companion was an actual owl, no less), Irčne awoke to Asher's knocking, rather than her own violition.

"Mmmrf... coming..."

Sitting up and stretching out her arms, she walked over to the window and gazed outside, facing the day in all her natural glory. Quickly, she dressed, the more sensitive parts of her body hidden through clever camera angles or conveniently placed objects and hair, before grabbing her morningstar and descending downstairs to join Asher and Valamir at breakfast.
    "Some nasty business went on while you were asleep. The Wreckwash Blades' camp was attacked last night. The guard told me there's six dead with two on the mends now. Something just went into their barracks and started hacking lads to pieces. Lot of them died in their beds. One of them had his head beaten out against a wall."
    "The Wreckwash Blades, you say? Any idea who, or what it was, and how I can stay away from it? Where are the two who didn't die? Might be interesting to find out more straight from the horse's...uh...mouth, so to speak."
    "Not that I'm not curious about what did it as well, but, I doubt the goblins will wait overlong. Unless you suspect they were involved, perhaps?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I'll also front 2 gp for breakfast.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Vai and Alessandra

No sooner had Vai mentioned the sisters when a lithe figure in studded black leather armor descended from the roof entrance. She was a tiny woman with the sort of face that made her seem displeased with everything and her short, no-fuss hair was prematurely greying. After she hit the floor, two more girls came in behind her.

Terisha doesn't rise, but raises her bottle in a celebratory sort of salute. "Ayala, you must meet my cousin Vai Merejan and her friend Alessandra. They've had a profitable night!"

Unless interrupted, Terisha recounts recent events and insists that the two make valuable allies, if not full members. Ayala's scowl lessens when she takes inventory of the masterwork blades.

Gesturing with one of the short swords as she speaks, Ayala scrutinizes Vai. "You seem like a smart girl, Merejan. It's a pity you're not a better thief, but brains and skill with a blade may be just as good. What do you think then: do we pursue Carent and eliminate any hold on the Dockway, or do we take this chance to recruit?"

Zuberi
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Retreating from Underbridge, Zuberi quickly finds his way to the Old Fang -- assured to be the most reputable refuge in the district. If Zuberi is early to rise, he'll find Asher, Irčne and Valamir talking over breakfast.

Spoiler: Zuberi
    Show
    A private room is 1.5 gp. A pallet on the floor is merely 5 sp. Please deduct a small amount of money for meals, depending on just how austere Zuberi is.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-14 at 11:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Vai and Alessandra

No sooner had Vai mentioned the sisters when a lithe figure in studded black leather armor descended from the roof entrance. She was a tiny woman with the sort of face that made her seem displeased with everything and her short, no-fuss hair was prematurely greying. After she hit the floor, two more girls came in behind her.

Terisha doesn't rise, but raises her bottle in a celebratory sort of salute. "Ayala, you must meet my cousin Vai Merejan and her friend Alessandra. They've had a profitable night!"

Unless interrupted, Terisha recounts recent events and insists that the two make valuable allies, if not full members. Ayala's scowl lessens when she takes inventory of the masterwork blades.

Gesturing with one of the short swords as she speaks, Ayala scrutinizes Vai. "You seem like a smart girl, Merejan. It's a pity you're not a better thief, but brains and skill with a blade may be just as good. What do you think then: do we pursue Carent and eliminate any hold on the Dockway, or do we take this chance to recruit?"

Vai and Alessandra

Vai stood as Ayala was given the summation of the night's activities, giving a slight bow to the clear senior among the Tower Girls. As Ayala asked what Vai was reasonably sure was a test question, she leaned against a nearby fresco of Sarenrae that was only mildly faded.

"From what little I know of Carent, he's likely fled to some bolt-hole after the bloody nose we gave him. Normally, I'd see that as a challenge, but without knowing what items he managed to salvage from his tent, there's no way to know his capabilities. That makes hunting him dangerous, especially as a cornered rat will fight far harder than one with a way out. Which is to say nothing of the increased scrutiny the Dockway will be under by the guard and the other Sczarni. With some luck, Carent will recover enough to strike against those he thinks responsible for the slaughter, which will only further occupy the guard, the remains of the Wreckwash Blades, and Jaijarko and his allies. No, I think it better to leave the Dockway to its own devices for the near future, allow Carent to destroy himself or reclaim enough confidence to emerge. In the mean time, the Tower Girls can recuperate in relative anonymity, and claim a more defensible base of operations. Terisha mentioned you'd found evidence of undiscovered chambers in one of the Irespan's pilings? If we are so lucky, then perhaps Alessandra and I could help in discovering a way into the piling that the Tower Girls might finally have a tower all their own."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-08-15 at 02:34 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.