New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Dragonball Super: So it begins - again

I'm glad I lived to see Goku ride a tractor. Truly inspiring.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I haven't heard about this - it sounds like something that's worth looking into. Are there dubs?
    Yes, it's dubbed, but I recommend subs with this one as many of the new voices are weak (and some are actively bad... I'm sure Clinkenbeard is a fine person but I just can't find anything good to say about her Gohan.) Abridged went for the Z voices for good reason.

The shining exception is Kai Freeza (Chris Ayres), who actually keeps up well with Pauline Newstone and the legendary Linda Young - not easy shoes to fill.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-07-07 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Aryes' Frieza actually sounds quite similar to Littlekuriboh's Abridged Freeza.

Make of that what you will.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quick question for those in the know: When will Resurrection F be out on DVD in the U.S.(in English)? I can't watch it online so please don't suggest that. I just did a quick search and Battle of the Gods is out, which is awesome, I'm going to have to convince the wifey to let me snag it here soon.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Quick question for those in the know: When will Resurrection F be out on DVD in the U.S.(in English)? I can't watch it online so please don't suggest that. I just did a quick search and Battle of the Gods is out, which is awesome, I'm going to have to convince the wifey to let me snag it here soon.
    It doesn't come out in the US for another month. Then it gets a theatrical run THEN comes the DVD's.

DB stuff is being really slow for some bizarre reason. Super hasn't even been confirmed for Toonami, and given that that'd literally be the only announcement they'd need for like a year you'd expect it to top the list.

As a random aside, where exactly are we in the DB timeline right now? Is Gohan still in highschool or is he in college now? I'm mostly asking because Sharpner and Erasa were kind of Gohans only actual friends, and if he's going to be a main character he needs more people to talk to besides Demon Junior and other Demon Junior.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2015-07-07 at 11:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kinda looks like Gohan and Videl are married.

7. - Top - End - #37

Spoiler
    Show
    We're six months after the Defeat of Majin Buu, Gohan is apparently an adult as he and Videl are living in a house together, and judging from context they either recently got married or are close to doing so.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    We're six months after the Defeat of Majin Buu, Gohan is apparently an adult as he and Videl are living in a house together, and judging from context they either recently got married or are close to doing so.
    Well then Gohan would still be in school. If I remember right he and Videl actually got held back a semester because they blew off school to train. So they'd have just gotten caught up to their friends assuming they studied over summer.

9. - Top - End - #39

I distinctly remember both of them getting permission to take of and train.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

I distinctly remember both of them getting permission to take of and train.
    Getting permission is fine, but they would still be behind and have to make up those classes. You can't just skip part of your schooling and still be allowed to pass.

11. - Top - End - #41

Permission to leave usually comes with the assurance that the person who left is still doing the work while not present.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #42

Permission to leave usually comes with the assurance that the person who left is still doing the work while not present.
    We have no idea how that actually worked but they never mentioned studying or getting permission. Gohan just mentioned they were both taking an entire semester off to train. They didn't attend any classes or show up to pick anything up, they just trained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yes, it's dubbed, but I recommend subs with this one as many of the new voices are weak (and some are actively bad... I'm sure Clinkenbeard is a fine person but I just can't find anything good to say about her Gohan.) Abridged went for the Z voices for good reason.

The shining exception is Kai Freeza (Chris Ayres), who actually keeps up well with Pauline Newstone and the legendary Linda Young - not easy shoes to fill.
    I tried the subbed DBZ once, but I found Goku's voice to be one of the most grating things I've ever heard.

14. - Top - End - #44

As a random aside, where exactly are we in the DB timeline right now? Is Gohan still in highschool or is he in college now? I'm mostly asking because Sharpner and Erasa were kind of Gohans only actual friends, and if he's going to be a main character he needs more people to talk to besides Demon Junior and other Demon Junior.
    Who is "Other Demon Junior?" Dende? Wouldn't he just be "God?"

Anyway, it doesn't seem like Piccolo is doing much talking, he just follows Gohan around everywhere and grimaces. No wonder the Abridged guys chose to dub Nail and Kami into his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    It's not even in theaters in the US yet, you've got a heck of a long wait. You may want to watch it at a friend's place or something if you're interested in it. Sorry about your connection

Having to take make-up classes would be a good excuse to keep Gohan on a bus for the majority of this arc though, so they may actually go that route. It would suck, but it wouldn't be the worst treatment he's gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I tried the subbed DBZ once, but I found Goku's voice to be one of the most grating things I've ever heard.
    It's definitely polarizing, I'll give you that. Personally, I find his Japanese seiyuu to be very menacing (and alternately, very funny) when he's not screaming.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #45

Who is "Other Demon Junior?" Dende? Wouldn't he just be "God?"
    I think Other Demon Junior is supposed to be Videl.

Her Father's Stage Name is "Mr. Satan", Mr. Satan's real name, given in some data books, is "Mark" Mark Written in Romanji is "Maaku" which is an anagram for "Akuma", which is often translated as "Devil". Videl's own name is an anagram for "Devil", and Mr. Satan's best friend, Majin Buu, is considered a demon in expanded universe materials and Majin can be written and "Ma-Jin" which means "Demon Person"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #46

Indeed. I dunno how that'd be hard to get given that she's literally the only other person Gohan regularly hangs around with.

I think he has other friends, since he's shown with a few other people in highschool joking around, but nobody specific Toriyama made recurring.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2015-07-08 at 09:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wonder how long individual arcs are going to be. If you read the original manga in collected form its actually pretty fast paced. This ironically is what caused some of the problems for the anime because there were no easy points to put in filler to catch up to the manga. So instead of coming up with new in-between adventures like most anime adaptations we got 20 minutes of screaming power-ups per episode.

Between Toriyama working on the series directly and having no manga to wait for and having a decades worth of criticisms and feedback of the original show to learn from I'm hoping we get something seriously happening almost every episode.

18. - Top - End - #48

Her Father's Stage Name is "Mr. Satan", Mr. Satan's real name, given in some data books, is "Mark" Mark Written in Romanji is "Maaku" which is an anagram for "Akuma", which is often translated as "Devil". Videl's own name is an anagram for "Devil", and Mr. Satan's best friend, Majin Buu, is considered a demon in expanded universe materials and Majin can be written and "Ma-Jin" which means "Demon Person"
    Indeed. I dunno how that'd be hard to get given that she's literally the only other person Gohan regularly hangs around with.
    Blame my D&D upbringing where I think of "devils" and "demons" as separate entities.

Besides which, he's supposed to be close friends with Dende too, even if Toriyama forgot that as badly as he forgot Launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    I wonder how long individual arcs are going to be. If you read the original manga in collected form its actually pretty fast paced. This ironically is what caused some of the problems for the anime because there were no easy points to put in filler to catch up to the manga. So instead of coming up with new in-between adventures like most anime adaptations we got 20 minutes of screaming power-ups per episode.
    Have you seen Kai yet? If you haven't, definitely go watch it, it'll give you a good idea of what the show's pacing should have been.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #49

As an aside, I find it a nice touch that the Ox King's castle burned down and he lost everything. It's a really nice mythology gag that ties up some lingering questions nicely.

The only thing left is for Goku to dispute Vegeta's claim at prince of all saiyans by pointing out that he married into royalty and most living Saiyans are related to him. Thus making him the real Prince of all Saiyans. Which is only really relevant because I very badly want to see Vegeta lose the only thing he has left and have a total meltdown.

20. - Top - End - #50

The only thing left is for Goku to dispute Vegeta's claim at prince of all saiyans by pointing out that he married into royalty and most living Saiyans are related to him. Thus making him the real Prince of all Saiyans. Which is only really relevant because I very badly want to see Vegeta lose the only thing he has left and have a total meltdown.
    Eh, it would be really silly if that got to Vegeta, he has no reason to recognize any other monarchy as legitimate. In his mind, Earth is a backwater populated by vulgar savages, however helpful our magic might occasionally be.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #51

Eh, it would be really silly if that got to Vegeta, he has no reason to recognize any other monarchy as legitimate. In his mind, Earth is a backwater populated by vulgar savages, however helpful our magic might occasionally be.
    Vegeta is exactly that shade of petty though. Lets not pretend he's above doing stupid crap if it means keeping his pride intact.

22. - Top - End - #52

Vegeta is exactly that shade of petty though. Lets not pretend he's above doing stupid crap if it means keeping his pride intact.
    Even prior to BoG, his pride was not at all bothered by the ants on earth. Goku making such a statement might get to him, but that's also really out of character for Goku, who cares nothing for money or status and barely anything even for his own race.

Post-BoG it's all but impossible, as Vegeta has proven he is now quite willing to throw that pride out the window completely if it gets in the way. If anything, Goku is the conceited one now.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #53

As an aside, I find it a nice touch that the Ox King's castle burned down and he lost everything. It's a really nice mythology gag that ties up some lingering questions nicely.

Even prior to BoG, his pride was not at all bothered by the ants on earth. Goku making such a statement might get to him, but that's also really out of character for Goku, who cares nothing for money or status and barely anything even for his own race.

Post-BoG it's all but impossible, as Vegeta has proven he is now quite willing to throw that pride out the window completely if it gets in the way. If anything, Goku is the conceited one now.
    Remember, Vegeta's character arc in the Buu saga ended with him realizing that he'd never surpass Goku and coming to terms with it.

Ironically, he came to temporarily surpass and Later equal Goku after he gave up on wanting to surpass Goku.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #54

Remember, Vegeta's character arc in the Buu saga ended with him realizing that he'd never surpass Goku and coming to terms with it.

Ironically, he came to temporarily surpass and Later equal Goku after he gave up on wanting to surpass Goku.
    Precisely - so all the overblown pride stuff is outdated.

I mean, I'm sure he still has some, but getting worked up over someone else claiming a meaningless title just doesn't seem likely anymore.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #55

And Really, Vegeta's insistence that he was the Prince of like, three and a half people(later 4 1/2 becuase trunks and goten are each 1/2) really struck me as something he was trying to lord over others.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #56

To me, Vegeta's insistence that he was the Prince of All Saiyans has less to do with actually being in charge of people and more with heritage - he comes from the royal line, so he is an elite warrior by birth. Goku marrying into royalty still leaves him with his humble origins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #57

Vegeta's royal line only extends back one generation though. King Vegeta was, to my knowledge, just some dude in a cave when he was born.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    To me, Vegeta's insistence that he was the Prince of All Saiyans has less to do with actually being in charge of people and more with heritage - he comes from the royal line, so he is an elite warrior by birth. Goku marrying into royalty still leaves him with his humble origins.
    Yeah, I think it was more about his pedigree than about a serious attempt to demonstrate authority.

Though initially there were some shades of the latter - when he and Nappa come to earth, and he gives the Z Fighters an additional 3 hours of wait time for Goku to show up, Nappa asks him why, and he responds with something like "we need to punish him for treason" or similar. (Due to failing his mission to wipe out humanity, and also due to getting Raditz killed.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #59

Yeah, I think it was more about his pedigree than about a serious attempt to demonstrate authority.

Though initially there were some shades of the latter - when he and Nappa come to earth, and he gives the Z Fighters an additional 3 hours of wait time for Goku to show up, Nappa asks him why, and he responds with something like "we need to punish him for treason" or similar. (Due to failing his mission to wipe out humanity, and also due to getting Raditz killed.)
    Except again, he has no pedigree. There is no "line of Vegeta" for him to boast of. There's one other guy who he boasts was weak to him, and was only ever as strong as Goku's dad to begin with. He also cares nothing for treason or loyalty or the Saiyan race given he spends no concern on Raditz's revival and kills Nappa without a second thought, or the fact that he could have grabbed the dragon balls any old time and brought either of them back. Remember that Raditz was basically his best friend, the guy who shared all his philosophies and hung around him for years and was the only person physically there for him through his childhood, and that amounts to nothing.

30. - Top - End - #60

Except again, he has no pedigree. There is no "line of Vegeta" for him to boast of. There's one other guy who he boasts was weak to him, and was only ever as strong as Goku's dad to begin with. He also cares nothing for treason or loyalty or the Saiyan race given he spends no concern on Raditz's revival and kills Nappa without a second thought, or the fact that he could have grabbed the dragon balls any old time and brought either of them back. Remember that Raditz was basically his best friend, the guy who shared all his philosophies and hung around him for years and was the only person physically there for him through his childhood, and that amounts to nothing.
    They seem to think it matters:

Spoiler
    Show

As for killing Nappa, he did that because Goku paralyzed him and he considered Nappa to be useless after that. (Do Planet Freeza's healing pods restore that, I wonder?)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy