New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: How Belkar will die...

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Because he links to how vampires work? Or the quote about people who agree with each other arguing?

Or both?
    The workings of vamping. And I'm shamed to admit, i had to follow the source of the other quote to see if i had been involved in that conversation. Because i know I've been involved in an instant just like it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't think I'll ever see another post where the text and the sigline flow in such a perfect way.
    My role in this forum is pretty much to walk around and advertise those particular links.

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by mhensley View Post
    My prediction - Belkar will sacrifice himself for the group at the very end and kill V (who will try to end the world while being dominated by the demons) in the process.
    The demons (and devils and daemons) cant dominate V or place anyone in her body. Perhaps splicing the soul would be an option altough it is unclear if the soul has to be willing.
    Last edited by falsedot; 2015-08-03 at 05:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    Belkar indeed "is not long for this world", according to the oracle. So we can scrap the Belkula scenario. The only other planes we've seen is the plane of elemental ranch dressing and Xykon's mancave in the Astral plane. So that leaves perhaps a tiny chance of him ending up in Xykon's soul gem, heh.

If he dies by mundane means, it would only make sense for the Order to try to revive him - in particular here a this location that probably has the highest density of NPCs capable of casting resurrection in the world, currently. So that means he'll die in some way where resurrection is impossible... and Redcloak has been known to keep Disintegrate spells in reserve.

And we also know a heroic act of self-sacrifice could be the finishing touch of an alignment change, if that's how the story is going to go. So who's he going to take a disintegration ray in the chest for?
    And Roy's extended visit to LG heaven (Celestia). And the IPCC hang out somewhere, which when Belkar asked V "Where the hell have you been" gained the answer "Unfortunately, yes".

The normal D&D cosmology is in place.

I'm betting on Belkar dying heroically, not quite a "It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done before" choice to die when he could avoid it, but more an attack he thought might succeed, but didn't.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    And Roy's extended visit to LG heaven (Celestia). And the IPCC hang out somewhere, which when Belkar asked V "Where the hell have you been" gained the answer "Unfortunately, yes".

The normal D&D cosmology is in place.

I'm betting on Belkar dying heroically, not quite a "It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done before" choice to die when he could avoid it, but more an attack he thought might succeed, but didn't.
    Saving Roy's life or being instrumental to restoring Durkon's mojo to the upright locked position would be a sufficient counterpoint.
    And once again, Probability proves itself willing to sneak into a back alley and service Drama as would a copper-piece harlot.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by falsedot View Post
    The demons (and devils and daemons) cant dominate V or place anyone in her body. Perhaps splicing the soul would be an option altough it is unclear if the soul has to be willing.
    As V's soul would be in the domain of the Fiends, I don't see any benefit to splicing it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #97

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rougn View Post
    Yes they would follow the rules until the time came that are tired of not ruling the world. Nothing risked nothing gained.

As for the gods: Those clerics are their power in that world. Do you really think they would risk losing them when they could protect them?
    If the gods protect their clerics, which gods do better mass destruction - good, or evil?

Which gods would be more likely to say "I'll willingly sacrifice one of my priests if I can take out 4 or 5 on the other side"?

Gods freely smiting is what Loki wants, not Thor.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    If the gods protect their clerics, which gods do better mass destruction - good, or evil?

Which gods would be more likely to say "I'll willingly sacrifice one of my priests if I can take out 4 or 5 on the other side"?

Gods freely smiting is what Loki wants, not Thor.
    I've never gotten the sense that the "standard" evil gods like Loki and Tiamat are particularly unhappy with the current cosmological status quo, honestly. The only ones who want to make big changes are the ones that were (apparently) dealt completely lousy hands like Hel and TDO.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-08-03 at 09:05 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sometimes I see the story progressing and I think I could end up making a decent meta-level argument that Belkar's throughline is one of the 2 or 3 most important things about OOTS. Other times I just think he's about to kick the bucket any strip now. Lol.. the suspense is killing me!
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

Back in 2010, a trope exposition already gave lot of expectation of Belkar's imminent death.
    When the fight occured, expectation grew (oh, there's a copyright typo!)
    Belkar Mr. Scruffy won the fight, but the speech between Belkar and him gave expectations that this was a farewell.

Then, I think things went quite quiet for a while, until Belkar got lost and faced Malack. With Malack revealing being a vampire, the lack of knowledge of how vampire works at this time and Belkar's hate for undeads (that do not feel fear), expectation was once again high.

Then, Belkar spent some time with a huge CON drain, weaker than weak. And managed to survive through this.

I can't say if there were lot of expectations of Belkar's death during the Mark of Justice thing, since it was very close of Oracle's reminder, but after like 5 years expecting most of the time that Belkar will die, I don't expect it anymore. Guess Giant will manage to surprise me easily then!

I should use this as an example of why spoilers aren't necessarily bad. Oracle spoiled us Belkar's death and the expectation of it brings suspense to the story that wouldn't exist otherwise.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Hysterical... I was joking and had totally missed that reference. But we don't know which hobgoblin reflects Rich's take. So "Belkar's fate is left unknown" remains a slim possibility.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Belkar will die with axes in his eyes...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Belkar will die with axes in his eyes...
    that sounds painful
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #104
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I should use this as an example of why spoilers aren't necessarily bad. Oracle spoiled us Belkar's death and the expectation of it brings suspense to the story that wouldn't exist otherwise.
    This is true of any prophecy in a fantasy story, at least if it is well-executed. Their purpose is to build dramatic tension, and they do so not in knowing what will happen, but in when and how. (And in fact, even "what" can be up in the air, if the characters misinterpret an ambiguous portent and lower their guard as a result.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

How will Belkar die?

Will he die in a house?
    Will he die with a mouse?

Will he die to a mummy slam?
    Will he die eating green slaads and ham?

Will he die here or there?
    Will he die anywhere?

Will he die in a boat?
    Will he die with a goat?

Will he die in the rain?
    Will he die on a train?

Will he die in a tree?
    ... We shall have to wait and see.

(With apologies Dr. Seuss, plus anyone unfortunate enough to read this post.)
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

16. - Top - End - #106

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    How will Belkar die?

Will he die in a house?
    Will he die with a mouse?

Will he die to a mummy slam?
    Will he die eating green slaads and ham?

Will he die here or there?
    Will he die anywhere?

Will he die in a boat?
    Will he die with a goat?

Will he die in the rain?
    Will he die on a train?

Will he die in a tree?
    ... We shall have to wait and see.

(With apologies Dr. Seuss, plus anyone unfortunate enough to read this post.)
    I do not like blood-sucking dwarf; I do not like him, Sam of Wharf!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I'm sure that Durkula will kill Belkar. so many things have foreshadowed his death. There have been hints of his death and this is an interesting way for him to go. I can see future comics with really bad replacements of Belkar, and drama surrounding Durkon. I think he will die on strip 1000. The landmark of the first pc death.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haley14859 View Post
    The landmark of the first pc death.
    If you don't count Roy.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haley14859 View Post
    I'm sure that Durkula will kill Belkar. so many things have foreshadowed his death. There have been hints of his death and this is an interesting way for him to go. I can see future comics with really bad replacements of Belkar, and drama surrounding Durkon. I think he will die on strip 1000. The landmark of the first pc death.
    Considering people have been making this exact same prediction every single time Belkar has gotten in any bit of trouble for the last 600 strips or so, I wouldn't hold your breath.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If you don't count Roy.
    Or Durkon.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

LOL good point. 1/3rd of the OOTS has died already, so somehow I doubt strip #1000 will be the "first PC death"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Yeah, but we know that Belkar isn't coming back. First permanent PC death?

23. - Top - End - #113

Durkon might not make it back either, if he gets dusted in a windy area.

Also, yeah, people have been insisting that Belkar's death is imminent in every battle he's been in since Greysky City. There's always foreshadowing. That's intentional, otherwise we'd just wait for the foreshadowing instead of having the tension that he can die during any battle.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charity322 View Post
    Yeah, but we know that Belkar isn't coming back. First permanent PC death?
    (Everyone please forgive me for giving more ammo to the "Belkar won't permanently die" people, but...)

Technically, if Belkar turns into a vampire, he'll still fulfill the prophecies made regarding him. Well, it all depends on how IRAs work with undead creatures. If an undead creature is allowed to access the IRA of its old body, then that part won't be true, but if the banks know how vampirization works (that the vampire and the deceased are different creatures) I'd think they wouldn't allow that.

We need input from Rich as to how IRAs work in the OOTSverse, I think. Very important information.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    (Everyone please forgive me for giving more ammo to the "Belkar won't permanently die" people, but...)

Technically, if Belkar turns into a vampire, he'll still fulfill the prophecies made regarding him. Well, it all depends on how IRAs work with undead creatures. If an undead creature is allowed to access the IRA of its old body, then that part won't be true, but if the banks know how vampirization works (that the vampire and the deceased are different creatures) I'd think they wouldn't allow that.

We need input from Rich as to how IRAs work in the OOTSverse, I think. Very important information.
    The definition of death iteself may be different in oots-world.
    If Belkar was to be turned into undead, the difference between being simply dead and his position would be that his soul would be trapped in his body instead of some other plane.

But he would otherwise be dead with the prophecy fulfilled without any loophole. It's even more sad.

Also, I even wonder how body works in D&D. You can't resurrect someone who has been turned into an undead, but you may be able to turn into an undead the body someone who has been resurrected already (through a small portion of said body or maybe through True Resurrection).

If some PC is killed, has his finger cut and is resurrected with this finger as part of the body, it doesn't seem to me that the rest of the body is destroyed.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm imagining Belkar to die with numerous vampire corpses scattered around him, all covered with tiny dagger wounds. Unrealistic I know, but hey, a man can dream.

Though personally, I'm going to say that Belkar will still come back, but as a revenant, which is an undead (so no breathing) that walks the world trying to destroy the one that killed it. My theory is: the HPOH will kill Belkar, and escape the Godsmoot, travelling to the Dwarven Lands to the remaining gate (and therefore has the chance to wreak havoc on the Dwarven Lands). Meanwhile Belkar comes back as a revenant, and helps track down the HPOH (who's at the gate), and thus we have Belkar dead, but still useful and present in the story, right till he finally kills the HPoH.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Odin's Eyepatch View Post
    Though personally, I'm going to say that Belkar will still come back, but as a revenant, which is an undead (so no breathing) that walks the world trying to destroy the one that killed it. My theory is: the HPOH will kill Belkar, and escape the Godsmoot, travelling to the Dwarven Lands to the remaining gate (and therefore has the chance to wreak havoc on the Dwarven Lands). Meanwhile Belkar comes back as a revenant, and helps track down the HPOH (who's at the gate), and thus we have Belkar dead, but still useful and present in the story, right till he finally kills the HPoH.
    I like this one. Don't think it will happen, but I like it.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Spamalot in the Playground

But he's also "not long for this world." A vampire or revenant would be on this world.

(As a ghost though, he'd technically be on another world, i.e. ethereal.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Colossus in the Playground

When manifested, ghosts are on both the Material and the Ethereal planes at the same time:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    But he's also "not long for this world." A vampire or revenant would be on this world.

(As a ghost though, he'd technically be on another world, i.e. ethereal.)
    A vampire isn't Belkar, though. It's an evil spirit driving around in his body in the OOTS world.