New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Basically...

Spoiler
    Show

You know how old drama stories loved to make the woman die in childbirth for extra drama, but the fact that we live in a modern world with actual medicine where death in childbirth in first world countries is extremely rare makes it really, really bloody contrived?

Well, the author decided "**** contrived, Imma force it anyway". So Nagisa, who has been extremely sickly all her life and everyone knows this because it has been a plot point, decides out of nowhere and for no reason that she wants a childbirth at home. And everyone that knows her, including her overworrying protective parents and paranoid ***hole husband Tomoya, is just perfectly okay with that, even though Nagisa should be literally the last person in the universe that should do that. And then on the day of the birth, when complications happen because of course complications happen, there's a huge snowstorm that blocks the entire city, because even with that bit of literally everyone in the series being stupid, it would still have been too contrived because again, modern hospitals and cars are a thing, so gotta take out phones and cars out of the picture too because otherwise we couldn't use this 19th century plot point verbatim. After which Tomoya, feeling guilty, abandons his newborn child.

All, apparently, just so we can have a story about Tomoya later reconnecting with the daughter he abandoned and forgiving himself. Yes, the whole thing seems to be purely a setup to give Tomoya a pile of manpain.

Honestly, I just kinda... stopped. I don't know how it ends and I don't care. Far as I'm concerned Clannad's ending is the first season ending, and then a happily ever after, and that's it.
    Oh, ew. Sounds almost like the Kenshin sequel..

I got through episode 10 and I think I might be stopping this one. Torturing myself isn't my favorite thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    I'm not sure if I'd recommend Clannad to someone that wants cute and fluffy things. I know it made me cry several times. And that is even without getting into the second season, where I just got incredibly angry at the forced stupidity just to add drama and left.
    The poster didn't specify fluffy, and a lot of "feels" anime are cute by design. I don't know about the second season, doesn't it take place far into the future?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #933
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    The poster didn't specify fluffy, and a lot of "feels" anime are cute by design. I don't know about the second season, doesn't it take place far into the future?
    Well, not that far (essentially a bit into post-graduation), but yes. That said, the second season is very touching and warm, if heartwrenching. Much more so than the first part. It's certainly painful too though. Perhaps it's best described as intensely emotional overall. I'd definitely say they're both worth watching and they'd certainly pass for cute. It might be too painful for the "fluffy"-part.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Oh, ew. Sounds almost like the Kenshin sequel..

I got through episode 10 and I think I might be stopping this one. Torturing myself isn't my favorite thing to do.
    The first season is worth finishing, I think. The Fuko bit you just got through is the saddest thing in the entire season (and honestly, thank god, because that is just heartbreaking), and Tomoya and Nagisa are genuinely cute together.

Just... take the happy ending from season 1 and leave it there.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, Kizu definitely gets two thumbs up from me. There's something about the art style of the characters as compared to the backgrounds, or maybe just the animation in general, that gives it a bit of an otherworldly feel, which I actually quite enjoyed considering how goddamn weird Monogatari can be. It was nice seeing RRG make his first friend, and Hanekawa was as nice as ever. Once again, though, I would've much preferred it if it hadn't had the panty shot. It's always nice to see Meme again, and I think I like tiny!Kiss-shot more than I do Shinobu. Dialogue's as good as ever, too.

It's only been a day since I watched it, so I haven't really had time to think about it much, but I will say that I think that it could've ended at a better spot. I only know the vague details of the rest of the plot, but defeating all of their enemies and turning RRG back to the state he's in in Bake seems like it'll be a bit difficult to do in two movies, if they're both only an hour long.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd heard that about the ending, so I've decided to wait until the whole thing's out and watch it as one three-hour movie. Good to hear it doesn't disappoint otherwise, though.

And I did just watch all of ReLIFE in one go. I didn't plan to but I guess it was more than I expected. The plot development wasn't exactly surprising but it was entertaining throughout. I'd definitely watch another season but it seems like this one covered most of the material already.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think I might be the only person on the forum who is watching Danganronpa and Alderamin

Alderamin was, unfortunately, disappointing compared to the source material. Aside from the poorly-directed first episode...Madhouse, of all studios, are willing to invent an entire SoL flashback episode out of nowhere and delay a plot-vital dialogue in order to insert it into the story right here and now. Sure, it's nice to see the past with Ikta and Yatori, but I'd imagine it's more important to

Spoiler: Volume 1 End, Possibly Episode 6
    Show
    show the carriage conversation where Princess Chamille solicits Ikta to join her in her revolution.

The main concern I have with the anime is if it's actually going toward the same direction as the LN. The LN was direct in showing the horrors of war and corruption, and I'm afraid that the anime would abandon this direction in favor of turning Ikta into a generic LN Gary Stu character.

8. - Top - End - #938

Quote Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
    I'd heard that about the ending, so I've decided to wait until the whole thing's out and watch it as one three-hour movie. Good to hear it doesn't disappoint otherwise, though.
    That's probably what I would recommend. And if you liked the rest of the Monogatari series, you'll definitely like this.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And I did just watch all of ReLIFE in one go. I didn't plan to but I guess it was more than I expected. The plot development wasn't exactly surprising but it was entertaining throughout. I'd definitely watch another season but it seems like this one covered most of the material already.
    I read through relife recently, and I had a hard time with a grad student who couldn't accomplish anything.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I read through relife recently, and I had a hard time with a grad student who couldn't accomplish anything.
    I worked as a tutor in Physics and Chemistry a few years ago. It's surprising how much you have to study up again yourself, with how much you apparently forget so easily after finishing high school. Unless you use a certain subject a lot later on, much of the little things easily escape you. (Though his ****ty progress after the initial go is probably for humor value and as an excuse to set up certain scenes.)

11. - Top - End - #941
    Orc in the Playground

So, a few pages back, Kymme was asking whether people have been watching 'Thunderbolt Fantasy' and recommending it. I did pick the show up back then, and it has been good, and it just keeps giving. The characters work for the most part, the dialogue is nice, and the wushu setting is amusing in its campiness. I actually also just really like the over the top designs of the dolls as well. Too bad the future manga adaptation of this seems quite ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
    OH! MY! GOD!

12. - Top - End - #942

I started reading Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and I'm halfway through the fifth or sixth arc (Maekashi-hen). And I just want to say, these people are all sorts of ****ed up. Like, even disregarding the reason I'm pretty sure the worst **** happens, pretty much every character in this series needs a goddamn therapist.

Spoiler: Higurashi All
    Show
    And speaking of that, I'm pretty sure that there's a hate plague going around. I really can't think of any other reasons for so many people to go insane in almost exactly the same way. Though I guess it's possible that there might actually be something supernatural going on, if what I've heard about how Umineko and Higurashi are connected is true.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2016-08-08 at 09:12 PM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

13. - Top - End - #943

Reading as in the visual novels or the manga?

I've only seen the anime, which I did enjoy, but from what I understand it's not the best of adaptations in respect to attention to detail. I've thought about taking a look at the visual novels for that reason, but I have a lot of those on my list already.

And if you're on the Eye-Opening Chapter, well...

Spoiler: Higurashi
    Show
    I'll just say one reason I enjoyed Higurashi is because it's so brilliantly messed up that it makes you think "there might actually be something supernatural going on" is the most logical explanation.

14. - Top - End - #944

Reading as in the visual novels or the manga?

I've only seen the anime, which I did enjoy, but from what I understand it's not the best of adaptations in respect to attention to detail. I've thought about taking a look at the visual novels for that reason, but I have a lot of those on my list already.

And if you're on the Eye-Opening Chapter, well...

Spoiler: Higurashi
    Show
    I'll just say one reason I enjoyed Higurashi is because it's so brilliantly messed up that it makes you think "there might actually be something supernatural going on" is the most logical explanation.
    Manga, though just I finished the Eye-Opening Chapter and started the Atonement Chapter.

Spoiler: Higurashi Tsumihoroboshi-hen
    Show
    The scene in the trash dump with all of them is quite heartwarming, but I'm pretty sure that everything is going to go downhill from here. Actually, I'm almost certain, since the Cotton Drifting Festival is right around the corner, and that always seems to be when things go to ****.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

15. - Top - End - #945

Higurashi and Umineko are both masterpieces and everybody should read them. (For both VN >> Manga >>>>>>>> Anime)

As you were.

16. - Top - End - #946

Personally, I like the manga more than the VN, at least for Umineko. But I generally don't like VNs, so it's more of a medium thing. I agree that the anime is terribad.

17. - Top - End - #947

Spoiler: Tsumihoroboshi-hen
    Show
    Goddamnit, the parasite explanation sounded like a believable, rational explanation for what was going on...until Rena started talking about clones and space aliens.

And out of curiosity, mallorean, which of the two would you say you liked more?

I have a quote!
    I like you.

18. - Top - End - #948

I like Umineko quite a bit more. It's the more ambitious and more personal work, and it specifically sets out to subvert expectactions and correct failings from Higurashi. And it's chosen genre trappings and subject matter is just a lot more appealing to me.

I'll type up some spoiler block higurashi thoughts when I'm not on my phone.

19. - Top - End - #949

Spoiler: Higurashi up to Minagoroshi-hen
    Show
    Okay, to summarize: Rika is traveling between parallel universes every time she dies, generally meets a witch named Frederica Bernkastel while in the gaps between said parallel universes, and is accompanied by the spirit that was the basis for the Oyashiro-sama religion, who was a real person a very long time ago, is actually very nice, and has time powers. In addition to that, the paranoia and violent behavior that Rika, Shion (Mion?), and Keiichi were experiencing is the various other arcs was a result of Hinamizawa syndrome (I was right about the hate plague!), and Satoko is being treated for the same disease by Irie using some experimental drug that she has to take twice a day because she's in a...more advanced state of it, I believe.

However, Irie, Takano, and Tomitake are all in on the existence of the disease, and are in fact part of an organisation dedicated to researching said disease. Takano is a traitor to that organisation, however, as are the Yamainu she has with her, and wants to do something related to resurrecting the Oyashiro-sama cult...I think. Or maybe it's because she wants to become Oyashiro-sama? To that end, every time Watanagashi comes around, she causes Tomitake's death by injecting him with a drug designed the mimic the late stages of Hinamizawa syndrome (I assume that's what L3 and L5 mean) and fakes her own death by burning a body in the mountains. Over the next several days, assuming that no one else succumbs to Hinamizawa Syndrome and that Rika isn't killed like she was in Watanagashi-hen, she kills off Irie and has Rika kidnapped and killed as justification for enacting Emergency Document #34, which is what is known in other arcs as the Great Hinamizawa disaster.

#34 is enacted because Rika is believed to be the "queen" of the parasites that cause Hinamizawa Syndrome, and if she dies, all of the other carriers of the disease will go insane like Shion (Mion?) and Keiichi did in their arcs, falling into paranoia and psychosis. However, if I'm remembering...whichever the answer arc to Watanagashi-hen was correctly, this isn't the case, as Rika was dead for more than two days before the end of the arc. Is this all correct?

However, I still have no ****ing clue why Rika can see and talk to Hanryu, or if Satoshi is actually relevant to the plot in any way, and I'm really hoping the last of my questions get answered in Matsuribayashi-hen.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So I decided to pick up Girls of the Wilds recently and there was some surprising revelations from it. It really reminded me of when I was in college and one of my (much better looking) friends began dating one of the girls in our hall. I (accidentally) hurt her feelings when I introduced her to the group as being his girlfriend, so he asked me to be friends with her. He then got extremely irate that I was spending more time with her then he was, and they broke up soon after another friend of ours informed me that she had feelings for me and I was being super oblivious.

Also that Dal Dal has the most appealing crying face ever.

21. - Top - End - #951

I used to read Girls of the Wild a lot but fell way behind due to the manga scan sites I used not getting along with my computer and for whatever reason it doesn't come up on my manga reader app despite drawing from sites I know for sure translate it, I actually don't even remember where I left off with it. While I did like it quite a bit, just ugh the relationship drama really tested my limits several times over.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    I used to read Girls of the Wild a lot but fell way behind due to the manga scan sites I used not getting along with my computer and for whatever reason it doesn't come up on my manga reader app despite drawing from sites I know for sure translate it, I actually don't even remember where I left off with it. While I did like it quite a bit, just ugh the relationship drama really tested my limits several times over.
    I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone, buy it isn't awful. It feels like someone took Veritas and Histories Strongest Disciple and smushed them together, but at least the main character feels bad about his harem status when he becomes aware of it.

Also a lot of it is depressingly skippable. Jumping from his fight with his ex bully to the vacation at JeJu loses you one good fight and a single side character, and you jump over 50 chapters.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2016-08-11 at 02:18 AM.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

I looked it up and Girls of the Wild is actually a manwha I've read before, back when it was just starting out. It's not a series I wanted to wait for every week, but it was generally interesting and at times amusing. For how badly much of it is translated, it's certainly made up for by the expressive art. By writing alone, most characters are flat. With the art, some jump out and become better than a lot of manga protagonists.

EDIT: I'm feeling that it's much easier to get through without waiting for weekly chapters now. In a single chapter not much happens, but taken as a whole the pacing is pretty good, at least up to where I'm now (chapter 41).
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2016-08-11 at 05:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954

Spoiler: Dungeon Meshi Chapter 27 Spoilers
    Show
    Enjoyed this chapter quite a bit, as it represents the end of the arc. I would have preferred a little more foreshadowing on Marcille having that much expertise on ancient spells, but the story seemed to be pushing more that elves had some really screwy powers.

Farlyn is back in action, and it's time for what we've all been waiting for. LETS EAT A DRAGON!

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sweetness and lightning" continues to be absurdly sweet, and a welcome ray of sunshine whenever a new episode comes out.

The magical pretty boys season two is basically what I felt about season one: you had the first episode and frankly that was all you needed. The rest was still immensely entertaining and I waited eagerly for each new episode and was never disappointed. They build on the events and revelations of the first season, have ramped up the gayness (and I use that term in the best way possible) to the point where I've seen gay porn that was less gay. We haven't quite hit high points like the kid episode or the beach episode of last season but I have enjoyed every episode so far with a silly grin on my face throughout. If you liked the first season and have wondered about this one, I can only say that so far I have been very pleased.

Re:Zero...man they always find some new way to make things worse, don't they?
    Last edited by BWR; 2016-08-16 at 07:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it actually called Magical Pretty Boys or are we talking about something like Karneval? I suspect it'd be dangerous to just turn to google to answer this question.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    Is it actually called Magical Pretty Boys or are we talking about something like Karneval? I suspect it'd be dangerous to just turn to google to answer this question.
    "Binan koukou chikyuu bouei-bu love! love!" or "Cute high Earth Defense Club Love! love!" but I can never remember either of those (amd looking things up online is SOOOOOOO hard) so I just go by the easiest aspect to remember.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    "Sweetness and lightning" continues to be absurdly sweet, and a welcome ray of sunshine whenever a new episode comes out.
    Have they stopped the manga until the anime catches up or something I havent seen a new chapter in awhile.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Have they stopped the manga until the anime catches up or something I havent seen a new chapter in awhile.
    Dunno, I don't read the manga. Yet.

30. - Top - End - #960

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I don't personally read it, but I'm seeing up to chapter 36, which was released earlier this month.

I have a quote!
    I like you.