New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,496 of 1496
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Raziere's Rollicking Red Raging Rant (Random Banter Thread #213)

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Crunk View Post
    The hyena in your avatar looks like he's laughing sarcastically at something.
    I don't have the full image of that style Zengo is drawn in handy, but he's actually supposed to be a psycho. http://hyena-yena.deviantart.com/art...path-480169852

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of games, I've been playing a lot of Victoria 2 as of late (I'm a strategy nut), and just came upon this curious little situation. I'm playing as Scandinavia (started out as Sweden(-Norway), then formed a union with Denmark) against AI. Thanks to my great average literacy, I'm the highest culture in the world, and I've got a quite sizeable technological advantage over my opponents, which means I've been able to fight off a joint invasion by the Brits and Russians and reconquer Finland, all of this only using two armies.

Now, we'd just ended a pan-European war sprung from a Polish independence movement, where I together with France and Austria fought the UK, Russia and Prussia for the sake of the Polish future. Pretty soon after the peace, a new international crisis blossomed up where the Ottoman empire demanded a piece of Turkey back from Russian ownership, and I decided to back their claim merely to see who would be willing to support me.

Turns out none of the other European powers were particulary keen of that though. In fact, they all hate me pretty unanimously. I have no idea why, but checking the stats, I could see that no one would be likely to come to my aid, while most would be willing to back Russia, and I was just about to reload an earlier save when a Russian conflict resolution offer dropped in. I thought it would be a "White Peace" offer, i.e. a preservation of the status quo (and a huge prestige loss for me). Cue a mighty surprise when the Russians gave up their claim and immediately handed over the province to the Ottomans, not even waiting to see if anyone would back them. I guess they really, really fear me by now...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's better then people think. It has problems, but all games do. In terms of actual PLOTS, it's probably the best in terms of actual plot and characterization for the Zelda games, with Majora's Mask coming in second only because it's still lacking in terms of like, supporting cast, which Skyward Sword has in spades.

It's a good set. Undertale in particular is REALLY great.

Some people hate it, some people like it. Most people I've seen who hate it either never got past the tutorial and thus are impatient of being told how to learn a new game (the tutorial isn't the best but still) or are gigantic exaggerated morons that have wrong opinions. Coughegoraptorcough.
    Characterization sounds like my kinda thing -- I'll try to check that game out. One question though; I'm deciding between playing SS and Wind Waker as my first Zelda game. Which one should I choose, in your opinion? Obviously you really like SS but would WW be better for a newbie like me?

Egoraptor hates Undertale? Welp, I'm glad now that I've never gotten into Game Grumps. :P

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think I can figure a top five... but let's list what's probably up there.
    In no particular order:

Dominions 4 (this one is definitely on the top five)
    Megaman Battle Network... 2, 3 (Blue), 5 (DTDS), or 6. At least one is definitely on the top five.
    Undertale
    One of the main-series Pokemon games... not sure which. Depends how much I weight nostalgia vs new features.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of ___ (either version)
    Super Metroid
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Zelda Twilight Princess
    Chrono Trigger
    League of Legends (maybe. Highs aren't as high as the above, but I must admit I've been playing for quite a while without really getting tired of it.)
    BIT.TRIP FLUX
    Okami
    Metroid Prime (the first one, but the version in Trilogy)
    Pikmin 3
    Kirby... something. Not sure. Amazing Mirror or Nightmare in Dreamland or Super Star Ultra or Triple Deluxe... all pretty similar but there's got to be one on this list.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2016-01-02 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    Characterization sounds like my kinda thing -- I'll try to check that game out. One question though; I'm deciding between playing SS and Wind Waker as my first Zelda game. Which one should I choose, in your opinion? Obviously you really like SS but would WW be better for a newbie like me?

Egoraptor hates Undertale? Welp, I'm glad now that I've never gotten into Game Grumps. :P
    I meant he hates Skyward Sword, and I don't know his opinion on Undertale. Sorry for the confusion.

I'd...recommend Wind Waker first, probably. Wind Waker is a super rad as hell game, and the HD rerelease on Wii U makes it even better. Definitely play that. If you want to get a feel for how Skyward Sword plays I DO have a playlist on Youtube of it, and a thread to read through

6. - Top - End - #1476

I suppose my top 5 these days would be Starbound, Terraria (both of which I stream, ADOM (now on Steam), Blood Bowl Chaos Edition (RIP my +2 MA +1 AG Rat Ogre) and Binding of Issac Afterbirth.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ettin in the Playground

Favorite games? I'm horrible at picking favorites, but I can give this a go, I suppose. In no particular order:

ADOM
    Gunstar Heroes
    Ice Hockey
    Marble Madness
    Megaman 2
    NetHack
    Phantasy Star (I), II, III, and IV (I love the original series - every game is a favorite)
    Pikmin 2
    Smash 4
    Sonic Adventure 2
    999 - 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

I meant he hates Skyward Sword, and I don't know his opinion on Undertale. Sorry for the confusion.

I'd...recommend Wind Waker first, probably. Wind Waker is a super rad as hell game, and the HD rerelease on Wii U makes it even better. Definitely play that. If you want to get a feel for how Skyward Sword plays I DO have a playlist on Youtube of it, and a thread to read through
    Wind Waker is indeed awesome. Speaking of which, at some point I need to buckle down and actually finish my second run through the game. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis J Hyena View Post
    I suppose my top 5 these days would be Starbound, Terraria (both of which I stream, ADOM (now on Steam), Blood Bowl Chaos Edition (RIP my +2 MA +1 AG Rat Ogre) and Binding of Issac Afterbirth.
    Good man. ADOM's one of my favorites, along with Brogue and NetHack.

I'm absolute rubbish at roguelikes, but they're so much fun. What sort of setup do you usually go for? Any particularly fun ones? I usually go for a gnomish wizard or a necromancer, but I've probably made it the furthest with orc barbarian and mist elf chaos knight, surprisingly enough.
    A few odds and ends.

8. - Top - End - #1478

Would anyone object if I got the next thread?

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

9. - Top - End - #1479

I play one and only one race/class in ADOM. Dwarven Barbarian. I always prefer melee. Mages are too squishy.

Anyway, my game is set to start on the 4th on twitter, and I'm sweetening the deal. If you have Twitter, follow @DrHervisJasper and prepare to retweet when he (well, I) tell you to for a chance at a $20 or less steam game of your choice.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone blocked me one Twitter because I only know one second-person personal pronoun, and it's gender-neutral. Couldn't she just have told me the female equivalent?

Does "you" even have a female equivalent?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Favorite games? I'm horrible at picking favorites, but I can give this a go, I suppose. In no particular order:

999 - 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
    Hell yeah I'm a good influence.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Someone blocked me one Twitter because I only know one second-person personal pronoun, and it's gender-neutral. Couldn't she just have told me the female equivalent?

Does "you" even have a female equivalent?
    No, though one would argue "you" could come off as rude maybe? Like "hey you!" or whatever?

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ettin in the Playground

No, though one would argue "you" could come off as rude maybe? Like "hey you!" or whatever?
    She said she hated gender-neutral pronouns and should only be referred to by female ones. Generally, names are reserved for third-person and introductions.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #1483

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    She said she hated gender-neutral pronouns and should only be referred to by female ones. Generally, names are reserved for third-person and introductions.
    Err...what language were you writing in?
    Last edited by Domino Quartz; 2016-01-03 at 03:43 AM.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    English. It's possible she only meant third-person pronouns had to be female, in which case I probably came off as a smart-***, but that's still a bit of an overreaction, isn't it?

EDIT: Maybe we should end this discussion since, y'know, it might count as baggage.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2016-01-03 at 04:00 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    The language clearly has (a) gendered 3rd person pronouns and (b) gender-neutral ones. This eliminates all of the Romance languages -- no gender-neutral pronouns to be found there. It also eliminates most of the world's languages by count -- dividing nouns into classes is a common feature; calling classes "genders" is unique to the Indo-European language group (and AFAIK, possibly just the "European" subgroup).

While Greek has three genders, if I had to guess, I'd guess a Germanic language. Hey! English is a Germanic language!
    Last edited by lurkmeister; 2016-01-03 at 03:59 AM.
    Check out my infrequently-updating blog, The Hammered Critic, where I discuss TV shows and movies I've watched, books and comics I've read, music I've listened to, and perhaps the odd culinary or alcoholic thing

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ettin in the Playground

I very well could be wrong, since I'm not anything resembling a doctor, but I think I might have something called a "Mallory-Weiss tear."
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

17. - Top - End - #1487

Good games I played this year, hmmm...

*Monster Hunters 4U. Difficult to pick up (I'm on the edge of completing the first main story and it feels like I'm just getting the hang of playing the game), but so much fun once you understand the mechanics and a have a better than half chance of surviving fighting the monsters. Loads of great monster, weapon and costume designs too. It does feel rather padded, but I bought this game to kill giant monsters, so I'm not complaining if it makes me kill more giant monsters to increase its run time.

* Minecraft. I got this a few weeks ago. It's just the perfect game to destress to after a long day: no character builds, avoidable combat, no story, just mining and crafting and trying to build something you planned out last month.

* Undertale. This one's unusual in that I think it's good because I don't play it. It's already caught me up in the spirit of pacifism and I love the characters too much to want to fight them. At the same time, I love the battle mechanics and the hints of backstory and I do really want to play it, but I don't know how to avoid killing Papyrus...

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis J Hyena View Post
    And finally, random question: I'm working on editing a nanowrimo project... I could a) use proofreaders/editors if people want to help, and b) am trying to have it both ways when I really can't, so I'll ask you guys since you're smarter than I am. It's a medieval anthropomorphic story, but I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it simple ("humans in animal costumes") or try to flesh the society out (such as not wearing armor or clothes, since both would overheat an anthro if they're also wearing fur, you know?) --- which do you think would make for a more interesting story?
    This is a bit late, but I like proofreading things, although I'm not too keen on the furry culture. On the other hand, I'm not too keen on anime either, but I've got about five of them I keep meaning to watch (and at least four times that which I have watched), so I'll give it a go if you want.

As a side note, I don't see the problem with your characters wearing clothes: humans overheat while wearing clothes. If you go around without a shirt in a moderate climate you'll see how good bare skin is at keeping your temperature regular. Wearing armour is just common sense if there's going to be conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkmeister View Post
    The language clearly has (a) gendered 3rd person pronouns and (b) gender-neutral ones. This eliminates all of the Romance languages -- no gender-neutral pronouns to be found there. It also eliminates most of the world's languages by count -- dividing nouns into classes is a common feature; calling classes "genders" is unique to the Indo-European language group (and AFAIK, possibly just the "European" subgroup).

While Greek has three genders, if I had to guess, I'd guess a Germanic language. Hey! English is a Germanic language!
    Sometimes, the solution to a difficult problem is that is wasn't actually asked correctly.

ION: Do Let's Watches count as creation threads? I've just remembered that I've got a Let's read that I've forgotten about for about two months. I'd like to get back to it, but I'm not sure what the rules are to start it up again.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2016-01-03 at 11:17 AM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    but I don't know how to avoid killing Papyrus...
    Stall. The same applies to most bosses.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

19. - Top - End - #1489

d20 Re: Raziere's Rollicking Red Raging Rant (Random Banter Thread #213)

Durkoala --- my story is up in bits and pieces over in the Arts and Crafts thread (waiting on BobbyBobby99 to comment on the most recent scenes before I put up any more of it, unless he got bored and isn't saying so... heh) if you want to read what is there so far.

In other news... https://twitter.com/DrHervisJasper/s...99344848076801

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, Aegis J Hyena, since your avatar is a gnoll, can I call you "Grassy?"

...Yeah, I didn't think so. Kind of sorry I asked, honestly.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

21. - Top - End - #1491

Thumbs up Re: Raziere's Rollicking Red Raging Rant (Random Banter Thread #213)

I don't know what is sadder, the fact I didn't hear that before, or the fact it took me a minute to get?

Oh well, no one said we were the smartest out there... heh. :)

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Orc in the Playground

So we were talking about all-time favorite games, eh? Well, I will mention a few of mine, in no particular order:
    1. ADOM
    2. Shadow Of Mordor
    3. I Wanna Be The Guy
    4. Pillars Of Eternity
    5. Planescape Torment
    6. Wasteland 2
    7. MGS V The Phantom Pain
    8. All the Splinter Cell games (sure they messed up Sam in Blacklist, but ghosting around was a lot of fun)
    9. Witcher 2 & 3
    10. Underrail (Yes it just came out. Yes, it is a top-down turn-based post-apocalyptic game. Of course, I like it)
    11. Grand Theft Auto V
    12. Dead Space 2
    13. Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
    14. Dishonored
    15. DmC: Devil May Cry 5 (yeah yeah, die you heathen. something about the other 4 made me constantly cringe)
    16. MGR: Revengeance
    17. Broforce
    18. Fallout (especially 1, 2 and NV)
    19. Hotline Miami 1 and 2
    20. Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2
    21. Ori and the Blind Forest
    22. Assassins Creed 2 trilogy, AC: Black Flag
    23. Wadjet Eye Games (Technobabylon, The Shivah, Blackwell Series)
    24. Gateways (2D Portal, mechanic-wise. What's not to like?)
    25. Telltale Games, from The Walking Dead onwards.

And this list doesn't even begin to cover it.

Undertale seems nice, but it's not a game I'll drop everything to play. Speaking of which, I'm currently playing VTM Bloodlines as a Toreador (Malkavian for second playthrough).
    Last edited by Cyber Punk; 2016-01-03 at 02:12 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Titan in the Playground

Favorite vidya games, also in no particular order:

-Warcraft 3 RoC/TFT (This was the first game I played online AND enjoyed. That was largely because of the custom games lobby. It's where the entire MOBA genre got started, in fact.)
    -Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (There are a few hundred reasons why this game is brilliant, but the one that's really stuck with me is just how colorful all of the faction's leaders are. WH40k is a world where pretty much everyone can be both protagonist and antagonist, and this game exemplifies that perfectly.)
    -Dragon Age Origins (Greatest game Bioware has ever produced. Every time i see a dragon age game nowadays I want to tear my hair out because it dropped the BEST PART of DAO: the origin section.)
    -XCOM Enemy Within (I'm told this isn't the same as the original XCOM, but what we got here was wonderful. Dynamic, dramatic, even creepy in places, this game taught me it can be fun to lose.)
    -Majora's Mask (My first Zelda game, and the first game I played that ever made me think.)
    -Super Mario 64 (my first, and aside from the obligatory underwater level, aslo pretty good)
    -DotA 2 (I don't think I've ever put more time and energy into any game aside from Wc3)
    -Bastion (The narrator. I don't think I need to explain beyond that.)
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    Wadjet Eye Games (Technobabylon, The Shivah, Blackwell Series)
    And Gemini Rue, Resonance, Primordia...

You know, if these are the sort of games that get released once a genre has 'died', I think more genres could stand to shuffle off this mortal coil

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Orc in the Playground

I have to agree with you, Mr. Silver.

26. - Top - End - #1496

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!