New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power V: The Final Yawntier

Is it just me, or did their website just turn itelf inside out?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #482
    Colossus in the Playground

So new comic, and I guess he was bored with only two splits in the story, and decided to bring back the third for no reason other than to expose why the countess acts the way she does. Hopefully when she hulks out and escapes in a towering rage it wont take too many updates and we can get back to the mad giggler who finds explaining jokes to be hilarious.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Hm, it seems the website "the webcomic list" is no longer tracking Star Power. I wonder how long that will last?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't the Countess say the SPS were just engineered dissidents her side created? Why should she be jealous of the naive fools they were using? They didn't actually create a functioning state.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Didn't the Countess say the SPS were just engineered dissidents her side created? Why should she be jealous of the naive fools they were using? They didn't actually create a functioning state.
    Technically, the SPS were the stormtroopers of the Evil Empire, so she's ticked off because they rebelled and embraced weak ideals. The fact that the SPS keep winning is infuriating.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

For those who enjoyed the silly joke about being forced to explain jokes, let's make sure you hate it by repeating the same thing.

Next planet will contain creatures that can only laugh at jokes if you repeat them three times.

7. - Top - End - #487

Hey man! Dont mock their culture! Im actually happier that this seems to be a cultural thing than just one screwball. Yeah its an odd one, but these guys live in the desert and stare at the sky waiting for superheroes to arrive all day. They gotta be a little weird!

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

Everything we had so far was "cultural".
    Race of warriors, race of traders, race of dancers, and now - race of people that can't understand jokes.

Because god forbid that we have a character with a PERSONALITY!

9. - Top - End - #489

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Everything we had so far was "cultural".
    Race of warriors, race of traders, race of dancers, and now - race of people that can't understand jokes.

Because god forbid that we have a character with a PERSONALITY!
    There isnt much point in developing a personality when a half dozen strips later she leaves and will never return to that planet again. The main cast and the villains and such tend to have personalities, these guys are basically cameo appearances who are nothing more than sentient sign posts pointing her in the direction she needs to go.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

For those who enjoyed the silly joke about being forced to explain jokes, let's make sure you hate it by repeating the same thing.

Next planet will contain creatures that can only laugh at jokes if you repeat them three times.
    The dreaded planet of the average webcomic reader
    Well, the other dreaded planet of the average webcomic reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, stupid as it was... their whole race being weird like that is slightly funny.

Danica being shocked by the way they look... hardly. Are you telling me all your aliens are cute?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Tradition!

Isn't she the first to pass the tests in, like, forever?

Sounds to me like an excuse to not complete this "quest" in 10 minutes.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

A bit forced for my taste, but at least it explains why it's a "no fly mission".

Let's just see where it goes from here.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Stilgar, do we have wormsign?

Just curious.
    In Dune and all adaptations that used sandworms as a creature (like "Tremors"), the worm is basically blind and can sense vibrations when people move.
    Why and how is this sandworm more annoyed at flying creatures?

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

How tragic. It's become so bland, you can't even really mock it. Although, this does seem like Mookie "subverting" a worm trope without really understanding why it's a trope or why what he's doing is dumb. Let's hope he tumbles further down that hole!

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

16. - Top - End - #496

Stilgar, do we have wormsign?

Just curious.
    In Dune and all adaptations that used sandworms as a creature (like "Tremors"), the worm is basically blind and can sense vibrations when people move.
    Why and how is this sandworm more annoyed at flying creatures?
    In theory, it could not be a problem of annoyance, it could be that it is specialized in hunting birds.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #497

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    In theory, it could not be a problem of annoyance, it could be that it is specialized in hunting birds.
    There are a number of creatures that burrow into the ground, then lunge out at prey that passes by. These desert dwellers are able to see the sarlaac mouth waiting to strike and thus go around, but "birds" tend to not notice that, so they lunge up and grab them, eating a good meal.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    There are a number of creatures that burrow into the ground, then lunge out at prey that passes by. These desert dwellers are able to see the sarlaac mouth waiting to strike and thus go around, but "birds" tend to not notice that, so they lunge up and grab them, eating a good meal.
    But the birds ARE aware of the worm, that's why they avoid its location and the sky is clear around them.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

But the birds ARE aware of the worm, that's why they avoid its location and the sky is clear around them.
    Obviously this creature subsists on tourist and scientist vessels. The government cover it up because it's an endangered species and the local refuse to be its food.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Yum

I feel sorry for the worm, it just swallowed something that can pierce battleship shield and hull like butter.

Hopefully, Danica will find a way to get away without killing the poor creature.

That's the limit of tension I'm willing to take.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Um . . . I literally do not understand what just happened. How did we get from panel 2 to panel 3? Did . . . did Mookie forget to include how Danica got free and rescued her friends? He was so busy milking his "explain the tepid pun" cow that he didn't bother to explain what actually happened.

I think that maybe she dropped the shield and just did her Shoop Da Whoop attack inside the sandworm's throat? That kind of makes sense, but it's not in any way clear from the page as presented. Especially with panel 3—how did she get out? Where are her friends when that is happening? Dammit, Mookie.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

22. - Top - End - #502

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Um . . . I literally do not understand what just happened. How did we get from panel 2 to panel 3? Did . . . did Mookie forget to include how Danica got free and rescued her friends? He was so busy milking his "explain the tepid pun" cow that he didn't bother to explain what actually happened.

I think that maybe she dropped the shield and just did her Shoop Da Whoop attack inside the sandworm's throat? That kind of makes sense, but it's not in any way clear from the page as presented. Especially with panel 3—how did she get out? Where are her friends when that is happening? Dammit, Mookie.
    She rescued them last comic, then went back to fight because the giant worm was pissed. That part threw me too until I went back to read it again. And yeah, im not exactly sure what she did. I see a spurt of blood coming from its mouth, so all I can think of is she blasted through its teeth maybe? And I have to admit, im starting to find the joke explanation thing amusing. Im not sure why.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

She rescued them last comic, then went back to fight because the giant worm was pissed. That part threw me too until I went back to read it again. And yeah, im not exactly sure what she did. I see a spurt of blood coming from its mouth, so all I can think of is she blasted through its teeth maybe? And I have to admit, im starting to find the joke explanation thing amusing. Im not sure why.
    Huh, fair point on her rescuing them in the previous comic. I had forgotten that because the last comic was boring and genuinely didn't register in my brain at all beyond "generic fight scene."

That doesn't excuse the lack of clarity between panel 2 and panel 3, mind you.

As far as the "explaining the joke" thing goes, I did find it amusing when it first came up (and I even posted here giving credit where credit was due). As far as Mookie's tired running gags go, this one is at least better than "we're going to load the final panel with pairs of words that start with the same letter for no apparent reason," but I'm still wary that it'll stop being funny long before Mookie gets tired of it. And like I said earlier, it's kind of jarring when we devote a panel to explaining a pun in a comic that leaves the reader wanting an explanation of the action, you know?

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, fair point on her rescuing them in the previous comic. I had forgotten that because the last comic was boring and genuinely didn't register in my brain at all beyond "generic fight scene."

That doesn't excuse the lack of clarity between panel 2 and panel 3, mind you.

As far as the "explaining the joke" thing goes, I did find it amusing when it first came up (and I even posted here giving credit where credit was due). As far as Mookie's tired running gags go, this one is at least better than "we're going to load the final panel with pairs of words that start with the same letter for no apparent reason," but I'm still wary that it'll stop being funny long before Mookie gets tired of it. And like I said earlier, it's kind of jarring when we devote a panel to explaining a pun in a comic that leaves the reader wanting an explanation of the action, you know?

[The site got a little wonky when I first tried to post this, so I hope that this doesn't end as a double post.]

25. - Top - End - #505

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I'm still wary that it'll stop being funny long before Mookie gets tired of it.
    It will, because Mookie is many things, and relentless is one of them.

One day, the Encyclopaedia Britannica will have a page for Mookie the Inflexible (byname of Michael Terracciano, 1st Baron Terracciano).

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

The joke was bad enough the third time, but it was worse since I was expecting hoping for some kind of negative reaction like "you took the sand-worm's food after he had claimed his victim" or "you disobeyed our tradition by flying"

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Attacking the big worm was unnecessary (she already rescued her friend) and goes against the hero code?

As for the 'jokes', they don't bother me. It's two(*) people sharing a unique brand of humor. Good for them and their Jokes That Must Be Explained subculture.

(*) Only one of these desert aliens is laughing at our superhero's jokes. The rest of his people just stand around looking blankly.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Bugbear in the Playground

My head-canon for the "jokes":
    Mookie writes his dialogs for the target audience: Underdeveloped aliens. The puns are annoying for human readers because we read them in English when they are supposedly in Uni-Galacto (or however Mookie calls the language that everyone on every planet understands without any problem even if there hasn't been contact between the civilizations for thousands of years).

Also, Danica thinks her jokes in English, but then tells them in Uni-Galacto, where the term "one shot at something" wasn't derived from actual "shooting with single pieces of projectile weapons". Thus it has to be explained if the audience is supposed to find it funny.

29. - Top - End - #509

TBH, I can't think of any language other than English in which that joke works. Of course, there are some 6.000 different languages I don't know, but there also are a lot of words to combine differently in each of them.
    I can think of something similar, but it already is one step removed.

30. - Top - End - #510

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Attacking the big worm was unnecessary (she already rescued her friend) and goes against the hero code?

As for the 'jokes', they don't bother me. It's two(*) people sharing a unique brand of humor. Good for them and their Jokes That Must Be Explained subculture.

(*) Only one of these desert aliens is laughing at our superhero's jokes. The rest of his people just stand around looking blankly.
    No, everyone is laughing at her joke explanations. Well, all the aliens on this planet at least, brightman doesnt seem to be entertained. Nor does squidward. And back when she was meeting them, well, look. Lots of laughing going on.