New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: If you were Wizard 20

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Unless I'm wrong (which I very well could be), nowhere does it say that the only way to make Holy Water is via Bless Water.
    There is no other method within the rules.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Unless I'm wrong (which I very well could be), nowhere does it say that the only way to make Holy Water is via Bless Water.
    Even if holy water is an alchemical item, only spellcasters can create alchemical items.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Step 1 - Get other people's opinions about what to do as a Wizard 20 - perhaps by posting a thread about it on one or more popular forums.
    1c) Do so in some way that it would be difficult to track back to me - teleport to a cybercafé, disguised via spells, try to find some way to leave no fingerprints/genetic material, etc.
    1b) Look for anyone else creating similar threads, to see if anyone else a) suddenly woke up as a wizard and b) thought to test the internet for ideas
    1a) Use divinations to determine the outcome of the above steps.

I can easily see divinations becoming a step I take before I take any other steps.

Mindrape would be my friend.

Step 2 - become immortal.
    2a) check the internet for ideas, divining first.
    2b) fallback plan - evil spell (from Book of Vile Darkness?) that permanently steals youth.
    2c) other fallback plan - lich + develop spell to "reflesh" my bones.
    2d) can I mindrape myself? can I mindrape myself back to Good (or at least Neutral)? I sure hope so...

If there are other wizards... divinations to see if they are hostile, friendly, etc; how they would react to me, etc.

Which means STEP 0 - Mind Blank! Don't want hostile wizards able to locate me, mindrape me, etc!

Or, if I got to choose my "build"... even as 20 levels of pure Wizard... can I use feats to lower metamagic costs to pull off a persistent timestop? If so, this makes divinations and contingencies much easier to set up before deciding what to do. It would probably be difficult to convince me to ever interact with a non-timestopped world, at least until I was done with all my divinations, spell research, etc. Definitely want to use Monte Cook's Unearthed Arcana to use mana-based spellcasting - IIRC, this would (among other things) eliminate the need for me to re-memorize my spells each day.

If I am the only wizard... self replicate. Simulacri are too expensive in 3e... although I believe someone suggested a solution for this earlier. Find ways for my selves to bring each other back from the dead.

Time travel would quickly become an interest. Which means trying to research spells to allow time travel, or, if that seems impossible, trying to use Sending to send to "GM" to ask for an edition change, preferably back to 2e (where Time Travel was a thing, and simulacra were not expensive). Use Time Travel and Time Stop to create 100% real movies of historic events. These would start out as "silent movies", until I developed spells and/or technology to allow me to extrapolate sound from within a time stop. Obviously, I would want my build to include skill ranks in appropriate skills (Craft:Movie? Profession:Camera Man? Perhaps even Knowledge:History). Movies of the future would be... problematic. I would want to develop spells to allow me to travel to "alternate" futures, or at least to any future I had ever visited to, so that, if I ever make a change, I can still go back to the future I had "erased". Hmmm... spells to allow me to undo any change I had made when I exit my time stop.

Develop spells to "fix the planet" - perhaps "Delayed Blast Repair Environment", so I wouldn't have to leave my Time Stop - I could just fly/teleport/walk around the world, leaving delayed blast crystals around the world to undo pollutants.

Perhaps develop spells, "Add Thread" and "Respond to Thread", that specifically *can* work while timestopped, or, at least, go off after I time travel. Sounds like I would want to invent a whole series of "Delayed Blast"-style spells, but that have a target rather than an area.

As to things other people had posted... would I care about taking over the world? Not really. Creating a cool home? As a place to store mementos, and famous items/paintings/etc taken just as they were about to be destroyed (and replaced with equal amounts of the same matter to prevent butterfly effects), perhaps. Improving the world? Beyond pollution? Curing world hunger would obviously be nice, but, as mentioned, could hurt farmers. Definitely want spells of time travel and undoing my actions before I try to fix anything. Colonizing other worlds? Probably not. If I did, I probably wouldn't let people in general know about the other worlds - just take people from history as they were about to die (replacing them with an equal amount of the same matter to prevent butterfly effects) and use them to populate new worlds. The new worlds could have a new world order, a new magical police force, etc... Perhaps even a whole new Necropolitan world? Hard to say what I might do.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    mana-based spellcasting
    You're basing your spellcasting off of "food" you find on the ground in the mornings in the desert?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

I think he means Psionics, Rubik.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    I think he means Psionics, Rubik.
    Is that in a splatbook?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    Is that in a splatbook?
    There's a bit of a splat when the mana lands, I guess.

8. - Top - End - #188

Mana... Not psionics, spell points. Same basic idea, though.

If I made my build, definitely want Eschew Materials.

As for casting spells with expensive / XP components, and making magical items... well, if my only MAGICAL item is my spellbook, how about starting with Foci for my costly/XP spells? XP components for making items. Surely modern robotics would count as XP components for many fabrication etc spells.

And I'd be expecting the DM to be giving me RP XP because, well, you can't tell me I"m not roleplaying myself correctly ;)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I'd have sex with two hot 20 y/o women at the same time... using Charm Person on both.. timing the spell so that it ends around 5-10 minutes after we complete our activities.

I want to watch their face go from "You are the best friend ever." to "What have I done."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Sentient View Post
    I'd have sex with two hot 20 y/o women at the same time... using Charm Person on both.. timing the spell so that it ends around 5-10 minutes after we complete our activities.

I want to watch their face go from "You are the best friend ever." to "What have I done."
    I find the sentiment behind this post more than a little abhorrent.

However, I don't think Charm Person works that way. It'll make them act friendly, but they won't have sex with someone just because they like them unless they'd be willing to do that anyway.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-09-30 at 05:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I find the sentiment behind this post more than a little abhorrent.

However, I don't think Charm Person works that way. It'll make them act friendly, but they won't have sex with someone just because they like them unless they'd be willing to do that anyway.
    Perfect example of how text communication sucks. I was making a self-deprecating joke about myself and you turn it into "Charm Person = Ruffies."

But if you want game rules.. simple Diplomacy check to turn Friendly into Helpful and at level 20 I got that roll made... Now I am just "The Most Interesting Man in the World" ... Stay Thirsty.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

You're basing your spellcasting off of "food" you find on the ground in the mornings in the desert?
    That would be Manna

13. - Top - End - #193
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Sentient View Post
    Perfect example of how text communication sucks. I was making a self-deprecating joke about myself and you turn it into "Charm Person = Ruffies."

But if you want game rules.. simple Diplomacy check to turn Friendly into Helpful and at level 20 I got that roll made... Now I am just "The Most Interesting Man in the World" ... Stay Thirsty.
    Less "self-deprecating joke" and more "rape people for the lulz."

If you were aiming for the former, you rolled a double-nat 1 and got a horrible result on the critical failure chart.

Quote Originally Posted by DMVerdandi View Post
    That would be Manna
    I still don't see the words "spell points" or "power points" anywhere in there.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-09-30 at 07:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

What would I do if I was a lv 20 Wizard?

This about sums it up :3

15. - Top - End - #195

NecromancerGuy

Hmm spell points would simply allow more castings of the same spell wouldn't it? They would only need to memorize one copy of the spell, correct?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimsondawn View Post
    This about sums it up :3
    Go around killing catgirls?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Arael666 View Post
    Go around killing catgirls?
    Also known as "breaking physics in half."

Seems legit.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Xar Zarath View Post
    Hmm spell points would simply allow more castings of the same spell wouldn't it? They would only need to memorize one copy of the spell, correct?
    Yup. Under most spell point systems, you never have to rememorize your spells again. Which means you don't lose your spells if you lose your spellbook (you just can't change what spells you have memorized without your spellbook). Not worrying as much about losing my spellbook was what I was mostly after.

19. - Top - End - #199

Daemon

I'd probably go on this forum and ask what people would do.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ILM View Post
    You guys are so naďve. First order of business: locate anyone else that magically just got promoted to apex predator, and start taking them out.

Oh don't look at me like that, you know that's how it'll all end up anyway. I'm just getting a head start.
    "There can be only one."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    "There can be only one."
    And people wonder why some of us want to optimize really hard.

I don't know about any of you, but I fully plan on coming out on top.

Of course, I'd rather just stop the infighting altogether, preferably with as little death and destruction as possible. We've had enough of that over the past 20,000+ years. We really don't need any more.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

And people wonder why some of us want to optimize really hard.

I don't know about any of you, but I fully plan on coming out on top.

Of course, I'd rather just stop the infighting altogether, preferably with as little death and destruction as possible. We've had enough of that over the past 20,000+ years. We really don't need any more.
    Absolutely.

And with infinite space available, there's not really any need for conflict unless you go looking for it.

Like, I mean, does your Moon Base really need to be in the exact same place as mine? The moon isn't exactly crowded at the moment. Two or three different Moon Bases wouldn't really put a dent in lunar real estate prices.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Absolutely.

And with infinite space available, there's not really any need for conflict unless you go looking for it.

Like, I mean, does your Moon Base really need to be in the exact same place as mine? The moon isn't exactly crowded at the moment. Two or three different Moon Bases wouldn't really put a dent in lunar real estate prices.
    And honestly, with full-on level 20+, T1+ casting, complete invulnerability isn't terribly difficult, even against other T1s, so it's not like I'd have to worry about anything anyone else can do, so why should I feel threatened by them?

However, for the few people who go off the deep end of the alignment scale and wreck **** up? Remember that making others invulnerable is just as easy. It's not nearly as much fun when everyone can play in your sandbox.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-10-01 at 09:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arael666 View Post
    Let me stop you right there. World domination, world utopia, creating entire new universes are completely achievable goals, but there are some things that will never be acomplished, even if you're a 20th level wizard.
    Never were truer words ever spoken.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

Male

I would have so much fun on holidays. All Hallows Eve? I may not raise the undead or want to unleash horrors onto the world, but that doesn't mean I can't use illusions and transmutation magic to throw the biggest and scariest Halloween parties in history. Solstmas? Give every person on the planet proof that a Santa Claus exists somewhere, even if he's not the same one they see in the malls. Boxing Day?*I'll Fabricate the best packaging materials ever produced by a Craft check.
    *Yes, I know that's not what Boxing Day is.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-10-01 at 10:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Step 1 is to resurrect my ferret that passed.
    Step 2 is to then polymorph all 3 of my ferrets into Mustival Archons
    Step 3 is to bind them as familiars.
    Step 4 is to create a demilane made of fuzzy hammocks, crinkle tubes, and small shiny objects.

Everything after that point is moot.

Fair warning to anyone trying to invade my Plane of ferrety happiness uninvited: I'm devoting a third of my spellbook to spells from BoEF. You have been warned.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Step 1 is to resurrect my ferret that passed.
    Step 2 is to then polymorph all 3 of my ferrets into Mustival Archons
    Step 3 is to bind them as familiars.
    Step 4 is to create a demilane made of fuzzy hammocks, crinkle tubes, and small shiny objects.

Everything after that point is moot.
    This plan is the best plan.

Can we be wizard-buddies? Your ferret familiars and my otter familiars can be best friends. They can even visit my World o' Water Slides and Fun Tubes if you want.

Fair warning to anyone trying to invade my Plane of ferrety happiness uninvited: I'm devoting a third of my spellbook to spells from BoEF. You have been warned.
    I only hope this statement is unrelated to the ferrety goodness of the rest of the post.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

This plan is the best plan.

Can we be wizard-buddies? Your ferret familiars and my otter familiars can be best friends. They can even visit my World o' Water Slides and Fun Tubes if you want.
    Sure. We could also copy each others spells.

I only hope this statement is unrelated to the ferrety goodness of the rest of the post.
    Correct. Just a deterrent.

So, what feats would everyone take?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Banned

Male

Sure. We could also copy each others spells.
    I already plan on having all the spells. All of them. Except maybe some [vile] ones that have nothing but horrible uses. And I'm not sure if a wizard can copy from a level 1 ardent (with ML = HD) using the StP erudite minion/Psychic Chirurgery trick to learn them all.

So, what feats would everyone take?
    I know I'd take Wedded to History, three levels of cleric and Initiate of Mystra, Supernatural Transformation (Psionics), and a lot of metapsionic and metamagic-adapted-to-psionics feats. Heck, I've already got a list of all the ways to abuse the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle to get lots of feats. I'm having trouble filling in all the slots, in fact. More than 2,100. I could fill them in with Metamorphic Transfer and such, but there're only so many times you'll need to use a Supernatural Ability from a shapeshifted form in a day.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-10-02 at 12:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think everybody's missing the whole "Wizard 20" thing.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.