New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Schlock Mercenary VI: Eat It, Kill It, Make Friends With It, Take a Bath in It

This is the thread to discuss Howard Taylor's webcomic, Schlock Mercenary!

Previous thread here.

Last time, on Schlock Mercenary, some pirates are trying to steal the incredibly valuable Cindercone, presumably to sell its hull on the market. Schlock, Ebby, and Xeno squad are trying to take care of one of the prongs of the attack inside the hull. Captain and Commodore Tagon are trying to take care of the rest of the prongs outside. Kevin is perturbed that the Tagon's aren't trying to stand between his command and the ordinance raining down on it.

(For those wondering, inspiration for the title came from here.)
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2015-10-06 at 08:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VI: Eat It, Kill It, Make Friends With It, Take a Bath in It

While it would have been nice to have a more recent reference for the title, this is still a good one.

(also, you got a couple errors you might want to fix in the post there)
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VI: Eat It, Kill It, Make Friends With It, Take a Bath in It

I thought at first the unioc was our own Xeno leader.

By the way the title source link is broken.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are Toughs boarding the Sanctum Adroit Depot now? I hope this doesn't end with Jumpstar Prime loosing its policeforce...

On another note, why is one of the Sanctum Adroit guys in the sunday-comic wearing civilan clothes and dual wielding screwdrivers? Is that their janitor?
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-10-06 at 07:45 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    On another note, why is one of the Sanctum Adroit guys in the sunday-comic wearing civilan clothes and dual wielding screwdrivers? Is that their janitor?
    I think those are meant to be underwear rather than civilian clothes. Presumably he wasn't in uniform when they grouped up to decide what to do and he hasn't hide time to get dressed yet.

I think the 'screwdrivers' are some kind of weighted blunt weapon, maybe similar to a police baton.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

So unless I've forgotten what Pi looks like, it seems that we have a new demolitions grunt, wonder if he'll survive/get a name.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    So unless I've forgotten what Pi looks like, it seems that we have a new demolitions grunt, wonder if he'll survive/get a name.
    Yes, looks like a new guy. Unless Howard's having a bad day drawing.

This one almost looks sane, also. Like some slightly humorless square-jawed type, but less outwardly crazy than Pi or even Pronto. Of course, we'll probably be learning more about his particular madness if he lasts long enough to get a name and personality.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

New comic

Spoiler
    Show
    Schlock is apparently in the process of swallowing everyone in the barracks. I don't know how Perkey's helmet camera could be recording what Schlock is doing.

The mustached officer looks as if he's wondering if that's his foot in front of him. He had better hope it's not.

Now, Schlock looks threatening.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-10-06 at 08:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Yes, looks like a new guy. Unless Howard's having a bad day drawing.

This one almost looks sane, also. Like some slightly humorless square-jawed type, but less outwardly crazy than Pi or even Pronto. Of course, we'll probably be learning more about his particular madness if he lasts long enough to get a name and personality.
    Pi would never have made a hole too small. Clearly this means we are dealing with someone too new and too sane to be doing this job.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Pi would never have made a hole too small. Clearly this means we are dealing with someone too new and too sane to be doing this job.
    Maybe it's this guy. Clearly Pi didn't do his job properly if it is.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Maybe it's this guy. Clearly Pi didn't do his job properly if it is.
    Even accounting for art changes, the nose on the new guy looks too broad to be that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    New comic

Spoiler
    Show
    Schlock is apparently in the process of swallowing everyone in the barracks. I don't know how Perkey's helmet camera could be recording what Schlock is doing.

The mustached officer looks as if he's wondering if that's his foot in front of him. He had better hope it's not.

Now, Schlock looks threatening.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If he was eating people, he wouldn't bother field stripping their guns. He's restraining them. And yeah that guy is probably wondering if that's his foot he's looking at.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2015-10-06 at 08:53 PM.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

12. - Top - End - #12

If he was eating people, he wouldn't bother field stripping their guns. He's restraining them. And yeah that guy is probably wondering if that's his foot he's looking at.
    I get the "I am actively not killing all you people! Why won't you admit that we are friends yet?" vibe from Schlock.

And I was going to go with "Make it friendly" for the thread title (as was the consensus in the last thread), but the points of Schlock's moral compass are somewhat more explanatory of what our beloved (or behated as the case may be) comic is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Schlock seems a lot closer to a grey goo disaster scenario now than he used to be, with all this spreading tentacles and thin Schlocky membranes all over the place to tackle everyone at once.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think he's digesting anyone, but I think he is stuffing people inside of himself in order to restrain them. He did that in order to question someone early on. BTW, after the questioning, he tried to restrain that guy a different way that wasn't nearly as effective. Schlock has eaten other people without physically harming them, too. Mental harm would probably be another mater, though.

15. - Top - End - #15

Even accounting for art changes, the nose on the new guy looks too broad to be that guy.

Yeah, that's true. But it's the only other demolitions guy that I can think of that the Toughs have or had with any panel time.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I get the "I am actively not killing all you people! Why won't you admit that we are friends yet?" vibe from Schlock.
    Eh, while he has his moments of being utterly childlike, I'm not quite getting that vibe from him currently. This feels more like going through the motions because he isn't allowed to have fun with it. Once the joy of surprising the heck out of them wore off, it turned into a boring 'stop these guys without causing undue harm to them'.

I can certainly see him going 'Sorry about that time I had to forcibly restrain all of you, we're still friends, right?' once this is all said and done, though.
    Swoop Falcon

17. - Top - End - #17

I have waited years for this.

"TENTACLES!!! TENTACLES!!!!" (*kicks everyone in the nuts*)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

OK, so the boarding party didn't even come in through the comms room. Does that mean that Moustache Guy from the previous strip is actually going there to root out the traitors? Or did Schlock lie and tell them the attack was coming there in order to misdirect them from the actual attack vector?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    OK, so the boarding party didn't even come in through the comms room. Does that mean that Moustache Guy from the previous strip is actually going there to root out the traitors? Or did Schlock lie and tell them the attack was coming there in order to misdirect them from the actual attack vector?
    It is a poorly designed facility that keeps key locations along exterior surfaces.
    Swoop Falcon

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

It is a poorly designed facility that keeps key locations along exterior surfaces.
    A comms room will likely be needing some sort of external facility in order to operate, whether that be a radio aerial or a comms laser, so is vulnerable to attack from the outside regardless of what they do.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think the mustache guy is being grabbed by Schlock. I think he intended to battle the rest of the platoon, but didn't manage to get far enough to interfere nor even for Ebby to hear the fighting.

I guess the Ebby was forced to go down some halls to reach the Comms section, so the Comms section is probably internal.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-10-07 at 08:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

BlackDragon

I think the mustache guy is being grabbed by Schlock.
    Yeah, you're probably right--the guy on the left of the last panel definitely looks pretty similar to the chap from two strips ago, I missed that.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

A comms room will likely be needing some sort of external facility in order to operate, whether that be a radio aerial or a comms laser, so is vulnerable to attack from the outside regardless of what they do.
    The actual comm unit doesn't have to be butted up against the control room, it can be connected through wiring. (preferably run through channels that are too small for (most) sophonts to be able to squeeze through)

And unrelated, while poking through the archive to make sure I spelled sophont correctly (haven't found a strip with it to confirm), it appears that the grunt that assisted Pi with negligent regicide was one Corporal Towwick (rank and full name appears in the next strip). Two years of art progression, but the uniform matches, the hair matches, and the nose is probably as close of a match as we'll get with the two year gap.

:edit: and while I'm poking around, panel 5, annie plants can be configured to hold in atmosphere, so we've got a possible explanation for Cindercone's hull not being vacuum.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2015-10-07 at 09:12 PM.
    Swoop Falcon

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

And they are still bickering. I know that the Toughs have a tendency to do so, but they are in a battle right now. Can't they start shooting at something? Well, looking at Tagon's last line he thinks the same way.

The Broken Wind looks like she got some scratches in the first panel.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    The Broken Wind looks like she got some scratches in the first panel.
    If you look back at the last few times we saw her, she had similar marks some of the times. I don't know why. I don't know when they started to appear. She didn't seem to have them at the beginning of the book.

I understand that Broken Wind is probably more than six light seconds from many of the pirate vessels, but if the pirate vessels are flying in straight lines since Cindercone can't fire back, they could still be targeted by the long range guns. The ones chasing Broken Wind would be closer and could probably be targeted even if they aren't flying in straight lines.

I wouldn't be surprised if the general galaxy news is very important, though. There may be more going on than just this pirate attack since the Port Authority ships are missing.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-10-08 at 08:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Hold on, the Toughs spent 20 minutes dithering around deciding what to do to respond to the sudden ambush? It took them that long to communicate to their hierarchies what was going on and to okay a counterattack? I'm astonished they aren't all atomic dust by now.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelinari View Post
    Hold on, the Toughs spent 20 minutes dithering around deciding what to do to respond to the sudden ambush? It took them that long to communicate to their hierarchies what was going on and to okay a counterattack? I'm astonished they aren't all atomic dust by now.
    Just goes to show these pirates are really, really incompetent.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelinari View Post
    Approx 1.5 weeks ago:
    To me, it doesn't look like either side is trying very hard to win. The pirates are acting as if they are ignorant (not entirely their fault) and many (all?) of them also seem very stupid. The Toughs are acting lazy. Karl is acting as if he finally became curious about the battle.
    To be fair, Ebby's counterattack was authorized very quickly. Other than that, though, the Tough's performance has seemed very bad. We know Kaff wants to use the long guns to merely disable the pirate ships, but he doesn't even seem to be trying to use the long guns at all.

As far as we know, Kaff could call on long gun hits on at least some of the pirates. If those going after Cindercone start evading he could try to head back and pick off individual ones. If too many go after Broken Wind, he could zip back out of the jammed area and use the long guns to get the ones chasing him. Some of the pirates are probably trailing Cindercone, but are hanging back outside the jammed area or barely inside of it, and he could go after those soon after taking care of the ones chasing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Just goes to show these pirates are really, really incompetent.
    So the battle is just really boring and pointless?

ADDED: At least the pirates and Toughs don't seem to be as completely horrible as the SA personnel. Twenty minutes after their comms went down and several minutes after their point defenses started firing and multi-megaton weapons started exploding within a couple of km of their depot, the vast majority of them still had no clue that something was wrong. An entire barracks is being subdued by one intruder. The officer in the barracks didn't even attempt to contact any other officers elsewhere in the depot in order to get orders or coordinate anything.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-10-08 at 09:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlackDragon

We know Kaff wants to use the long guns to merely disable the pirate ships, but he doesn't even seem to be trying to use the long guns at all.
    How do we know that? The very first thing in today's strip is "messages sent". One assumes those include the messages back to base to bring the long guns into play.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

It would be interesting if the mole was an attorney drone, because the Toughs sold the right to kill those to Sanctum Adroit, who might at this moment not be quite organised enough to do it.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2015-10-08 at 11:16 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.