New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Multiplayer games recommendations.

Me and a few friends are looking for something to play all together.
    Right now, we play Heroes of the Storm, which, while fun, is also quite stressful as is normal for a MOBA.

What we are looking for is something that has at least two of the following characteristics, ideally more:

- Either cheap (<10 €) or F2P.
    - Cooperative PvE.
    - Low stress, the kind of game that you can kick back and play without really paying too much attention to it.
    - Turn based (but with simultaneous or very quick turns) so we don't run into performance issues.
    - Open world or sandbox of some kind.
    - If not turn based, graphically manageable by old hardware and/or poor Internet connection.
    - Longevity that is not grind-based.

There's always at least 4 of us, so no games that can't be played with as many or more friends.
    Dedicated servers are a must, we can't affort to rent our own and hosting might be problematic.

To give a bit more context, I'll give a quick rundown of what kind of gamers we are:
    Me: I play a bit of everything but mostly I like games that are immersive and roleplay-friendly even when they aren't rpgs. I'm the kind of guy that likes to stick to a theme, a character, a setting. I really like open wold games and I intensly dislike content gated behind intensive grind. It's ok if it's about unlocking stronger stuff, but I hate having to grind for options, because often that means I find myself playing with stuff I don't really enjoy just so I can get to the fun part.
    P: He likes a bit of everything, like me, but mostly games that can be analyzed and played optimally. He loves to plan stuff, find the OP item/character/strategy and go to town with it. He also likes games that allows him to experiment with crazy ideas.
    S: P's girlfriend. Not very good at games but she generally plays whatever P plays if he really gets into it. I know for a fact she likes FPS and TPS, so I guess stuff where you act on your twitch reflex while not being overly complicated would be allright. She doesn't like taking a passive role, so despite the fact that she's not the best gamer she would probably refuse to play anything that doesn't allow her to be in the middle of the action. Started as a console gamer.
    G: Very picky gamer, big into indie stuff and abandonware. Also plays MOBAs but to my knowledge doesn't really enjoy action games unless they are very unique or oldschool. Probably enjoys simple but original games the most.
    E: Hates games that are hard or unforgiving and has a very broad definition for such games. Prefers to play chilled out games in singleplayer so anything in multiplayer has to be either cooperative or very low stress. She likes sandbox games, early access survival stuff but has really old hardware so she can't run most of them. I'd say the most important thing with her is that the game has a low skill ceiling, so in the event she finds it hard to keep up she won't feel outlcassed.
    A: E's boyfriend. Really good strategic player, anything turn based or resembling a tabletop game will probably be right up his alley. Has really, really old hardware to the point where anything that isn't 2D is probably out of the equation. He's not really in the group because he doesn't play often, but I thought about mentioning him just for completeness' sake.

Games we played (but aren't an option for various reasons) include:
    Civilization V
    Guns of Icarus Online
    Tribes Ascend
    Star Wars the Old Republic
    Robocraft
    Planetside 2
    Ark Survival Evolved
    Mount & Blade +various expansions/mods.

Any help is appreciated.
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesà!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Multiplayer games recommendations.

Since I made this game this is really going to sound like self-promotion.

But then, since this is a take a look at it and try playing a game or so and if you like it contact me in April when it goes on sale sort of thing, maybe not.

By the way, if you need a 5th player I am retired and keep odd hours so get in touch with me. If I am playing we could even use my copy instead of the Open Play copy.

Since this site will not let me post the web address as a link, it is http://thesingularitytrap.com

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Multiplayer games recommendations.

AGE OF WONDERS!

It's a simultaneous turn-based strategy which incorporates roleplaying components, and you can get it pretty much anywhere for $6 US. Probably less in Euros. It came out in 1999, so hardware considerations shouldn't be an issue. It's also eaten entire weekends of my life in the last few months.

Haven't played AoW: Shadow Magic or AoW 2 yet, so I can't really make any recommendations for or against them.

P, G, and A I think will love it if they haven't already played it. Not sure about you. S and E might have reservations about it. It's not twitch-based, but it would definitely put S in the middle of the fight. It's a fairly intuitive game once you get where the important buttons and displays are, but E may put it aside prematurely if she doesn't understand it immediately.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2016-03-15 at 03:34 PM.