New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: League of Legends LXV: What threads are mine to make, little Lamb? All, dear Wolf

Just picked up Pantheon after scrounging some IP together.

Am I correct in assuming that he is not auto-attack reliant? Looks like a lot of his steady damage comes from Spear Shot so focus on AD and cooldown reduction? If so Black Cleaver sounds like a good start. Not sure where to go from there though.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends LXV: What threads are mine to make, little Lamb? All, dear Wolf

Indeed. Auto attacks are good to weave in between your primary abilities (a sample combo might be spear -> jump -> auto -> heartseeker strike -> auto -> spear) but not the focus of his damage. As far as I know, Pantheon has generally built pure armor pen (brutalizer, cleaver, and LW) and then finishes off with tanky items because he's relatively short range and only has one tactical mobility tool, which makes him less effective as a pure assassin in the lategame. Hexdrinker is always solid. Hydra, BT, and Infinity Edge are good winmore items, but if you don't snowball properly, you run the risk of being useless lategame because you'll just explode before you reach anyone unless you get some really killer Grand Skyfall flanks.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    What division are you?
    Silver V, I think I peaked at Silver IV (or promos to Silver IV) this season.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris on a Stick View Post
    Indeed. Auto attacks are good to weave in between your primary abilities (a sample combo might be spear -> jump -> auto -> heartseeker strike -> auto -> spear) but not the focus of his damage. As far as I know, Pantheon has generally built pure armor pen (brutalizer, cleaver, and LW) and then finishes off with tanky items because he's relatively short range and only has one tactical mobility tool, which makes him less effective as a pure assassin in the lategame. Hexdrinker is always solid. Hydra, BT, and Infinity Edge are good winmore items, but if you don't snowball properly, you run the risk of being useless lategame because you'll just explode before you reach anyone unless you get some really killer Grand Skyfall flanks.
    Pantheon's my main and I have a fairly good win rate with him (about 75%), here's a more in depth look at him, if you're interested.
    Spoiler
    Show

Few notes, because Brutalizer no longer goes into cleaver, it's kind of a dead item on him, it is a good early item, but delays getting better items. My personal usual build depends on the champion faced.

Usual starting items are Crystaline Flask, 2 health pots, 1 mana pot. Do not be afraid to spend a bit of money on a few more pots in the early game when you back. Especially mana pots, chucking spears costs a bit of mana.

Summoners: Flash Ignite is my preferred for securing those early kills, and completely shutting down champions that require health regen in a fight.
    Flash Teleport is good too, gives you more map control, especially level 6 and on, where a favorite little trick of mine is ulting down to bot lane aiding the adc in getting a kill or two, then teleporting back up to top and continuing on.

Masteries: 21/9/0

The important question at the start of every game is: Can I safely harass this target? Champions that are melee oriented, or at least have auto-attacks that are of shorter range than spear shot and that do not stack armor right out of the bat are usually this category. If yes, rush early damage, an early Tiamats is great for two reasons, 1 builds of Pickaxe and Long Sword, 2 it essentially adds an additional auto-attack to your burst combo. After that, either finish into Ravenous Hydra if your consistently winning trades as you should be. If you're lane is close, rush Black Cleaver instead. By this point you should have your R. If you're top, don't be too afraid to leave your outer turret alone if it means helping Mid or Bot get kills. Coordination is key, of course. If you're snowballing, picking up the Last Whisper now is fine. If you're not, time to get defensive items. My top choices are usually: Sterak's Gage (important note, the passive bonus to your base damage does not increase your Q and E damage, for some reason), Randuin's Omen, Maw of Malmortius, Banshee's Veil, Guardian's Angel, or Spirit Visage depending entirely on who on their team is most dangerous to you.

If you're facing someone who has just straight rushed armor (Garen or a pure tank being the main opponents this is a problem on), meaning your Qs are doing about jack all. Rush Last Whisper and/or get out of that lane as much as you can. Pure armor builds wreck you early game when Pantheon is generally considered at his strongest.

If you're facing a champion that does mostly magic damage, rushing a Hexdrinker is a good choice, though usually I save on turning it into a Maw until after I get and finish Black Cleaver and maybe Ravenous Hydra. But that's your choice.

In teamfights you have a few jobs:
    Find their big damage dealer and kill it, which is the most fun but not the most important job, especially late game if your ADC or Mage is doing what they're supposed to be doing.
    Be the secondary wrecking ball on your team. You're not a full tank, in the perfect scenario your tank initiates (barring things like Shen ults, in which case, you initiate with his ult on you). However, when that happens you should be literally just 1 second behind him splitting the enemies focus and forcing them to attack you instead of your mage and adc.
    Peel for your damager, you have your point and click stun and the damage to get the enemy assassin off your squishy. By late game especially this is probably your most important duty, especially if your enemy team has someone like a Kat, in which case you save your stun specifically for her every teamfight.

A few individual champion notes.

Fiora: You can beat her, actually you can beat her very easily, if you are patient. Keep those spear shots going, until the point she is forced to parry one, then combo her. Doesn't matter if she hits you with her slow, because that will wear off after the combo is done.

Teemo: One of the few champions I would suggest do not max Q first. Unless he goes full armor (which usually never happens) your E will destroy this little guy. Trying to out harass him, your Q against his Blinding Dart and Toxic Shot is completely possible, but why give that little rodent a chance? He deserves to be killed without remorse for the sin of being a Teemo.

Nasus: All in him early and often. Try to get ahead before the point where he's so farmed that you literally can't do anything to him anymore. When you leave top lane, try to organize your team and win fast. Because with Nasus it's a race against the clock. I really, really hate fighting a Nasus. Probably because I usually Solo Queue, where the organization is not the best.

Riven: Her annoying little shield can block most of the damage from your spears, meaning your losing mana steadily. Try faking her out, charge at her like you're about to throw a spear, and don't. If they're smart enough to wait for the spear to be in the air before dashing, just farm, be patient, wait for the moment they over extend or use up all their various ways to interrupt your combo before you run in and try to kill her.

Darius: This match up depends entirely on your W. Train yourself to either W when you see him use his axe swing spell to get close enough to him for that lower damage. Or right after he tries to grab you, and then walk out of his reach while he's stunned. Then just throw spears. Especially after level 6 he beats you in a straight up fight. Garen is similar, and in my opinion, harder.

Malphite: Ughhh. If they rush armor there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do. Their passive does a decent job of blocking your Q, and they have their own point and click damage spell that slightly out ranges yours, and their W gives them even more armor. You can win by being aggressive at the right times early on, but this is easily my least favorite opponent to lane against. Call for back up.

Other notes:
    Watch your passive and the counter on when it's back up. If you time things right you can block 2-3 tower shots in a tower dive. And that is just hilarious.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Sterak's Gage (important note, the passive bonus to your base damage does not increase your Q and E damage, for some reason)
    I like that this item further differentiates bonus AD scaling from total AD scaling.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Silver V, I think I peaked at Silver IV (or promos to Silver IV) this season.
    Being in Silver V division and losing more LP per loss than gaining per win means that your ELO is somewhere in Bronze. The system won't let you climb out until you start winning more than losing and your ELO recovers.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I know how the system works, I know I have a terrible win-rate. The thing is that I enjoy ranked a lot more than normals, but seeing that number bounce up and down so much and then when I appear to make some progress then it comes down. It affects me a lot more than it should.
    Just call me Dusk

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I know how the system works, I know I have a terrible win-rate. The thing is that I enjoy ranked a lot more than normals, but seeing that number bounce up and down so much and then when I appear to make some progress then it comes down. It affects me a lot more than it should.
    You need to take that knowledge and change your mindset. Especially if you're floating around bronze 2 or so and can't get the numbers moving. Look at every game you play and try to think of one thing you did well and one thing you could have improved. You might start seeing your win rate improve.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

9. - Top - End - #39

Or he can say, 'This is a game, and currently it is frustrating me rather than giving me enjoyment. I will take a break for a while and come back when I don't have this built-up frustration, so that I can find it enjoyable again.'

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the decision to take a break, and I find it problematic to tell him "No, that's not the correct course of action."
    Last edited by Nadevoc; 2015-10-23 at 09:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm more so curious as to why you find ranked more fun than normals.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    You need to take that knowledge and change your mindset. Especially if you're floating around bronze 2 or so and can't get the numbers moving. Look at every game you play and try to think of one thing you did well and one thing you could have improved. You might start seeing your win rate improve.
    I have a whole lot of issues, but the one that jumps to mind the most is that I can't seem to be able to carry, I usually can win lane or at least go even, but I can't seem to translate that into a win. Lately I've started playing more carry-orientated champs, but it is still a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadevoc View Post
    Or he can say, 'This is a game, and currently it is frustrating me rather than giving me enjoyment. I will take a break for a while and come back when I don't have this built-up frustration, so that I can find it enjoyable again.'

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the decision to take a break, and I find it problematic to tell him "No, that's not the correct course of action."
    I probably should take a break, but I wanted to try-hard until the season ended; at this point I know I won't be able to get gold, even if I was winning I don't have enough time to play that many matches. I just wanted to climb as much as possible. I also got demoted to B1 again and qualified for my promos again, so at least I want to try and get back to SV.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    I'm more so curious as to why you find ranked more fun than normals.
    There is no draft pick for normal games in my server (LAN), and I absolutely hate blind pick, it is very hard to play a role I want because even if I'm quick enough to call a role or even instalock a champ 9/10 times someone will want to go to the same lane or the champion, also it seems that normals attract more trolls and AFK than ranked (almost 100% confirmation bias on my part though). I know ranked isn't a walk in the park, but I dunno I find it more enjoyable. (Team-builder sucks based on queue time alone).
    Just call me Dusk

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

I probably should take a break, but I wanted to try-hard until the season ended; at this point I know I won't be able to get gold, even if I was winning I don't have enough time to play that many matches. I just wanted to climb as much as possible. I also got demoted to B1 again and qualified for my promos again, so at least I want to try and get back to SV.
    With this in mind, at risk of belaboring a point you've likely heard many times, CS is key. You have room to grow there--a few solo custom games might help. Doubly so if you can catch waves under your turrets and practice prepping minions there.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2015-10-23 at 11:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Semi's
    Show
    Well that quick to watch. Thank you SKT for keeping it brief.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

14. - Top - End - #44

*Waves* Hello, I'm returning to League after like 3 years or so and I've got a question I'd like some input on if ya'll have a moment.

So I main/ed Hecarim and Volibear back when I played and now that there's some new heroes out, I was wondering if Sejuani is similar enough in style to the both of them to warrant picking up. I was sort of sold on her Bear Calvary skin but I don't wanna toss money at her and not enjoy playing her.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

15. - Top - End - #45

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    *Waves* Hello, I'm returning to League after like 3 years or so and I've got a question I'd like some input on if ya'll have a moment.

So I main/ed Hecarim and Volibear back when I played and now that there's some new heroes out, I was wondering if Sejuani is similar enough in style to the both of them to warrant picking up. I was sort of sold on her Bear Calvary skin but I don't wanna toss money at her and not enjoy playing her.
    Not sure what you mean by style, really--Sejuani dashes in or throws her ult to initiate (it's basically a short-range Ashe arrow), which has some similarities to both of them, but I dunno. I think of her as a generally tankier, soft-CC focused version of Amumu but with less burst.

Does that help? If you like tank junglers you'd probably like her.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Look at a couple of IWillDominate's Sejuani games back in spring split. Admittedly, Sej has seen some nerfs since then, but her role is the same and she still functions.

Basically, you have two initiation tactics, with both being skillshot reliant. You can Q into the fight, this is good if you're going for a pre6 gank, but that's about it. Mostly try and use Q to clear walls or interrupt dashes for peeling. Remember that your Q will usually hit only 1 person. Getting good Flash-Q's is extremely helpful for initiation or ganking.

Generally you want to powerfarm to 6 for your ultimate, but Sej has surprisingly good Red buff level 3 ganks, especially with Flash. You have a gapcloser with knock up, and a slow. If you can hit a Flash Q and have lane assistance, you're almost guaranteed to at least trade Flash. Proper timing of E is necessary to guarantee kills. Try and use it after they've burned mobility or Flash.

Sej's ultimate is an absolutely critical part of her kit. If you hit the right ultis in game, you can easily be a gamechanger. Flash-Ult, Q-Ult, Q-Flash-Ult, and Flash-Q-Ult should all be in your arsenal as Sej. In general, pre20 minutes, if you're ult is off cooldown, you want to force something. Gank a lane for a very easy kill. Don't try and solo Dragon. Use your ult to guarantee a numbers advantage or make sure you have it for the fight during. One of my best plays was doing a Q over the wall to steal Baron, then immediately following up with a Flash-Ult into their 5 man team. (The 5 man Ori followup into Yasuo totally wasn't overkill...)

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
    Not sure what you mean by style, really--Sejuani dashes in or throws her ult to initiate (it's basically a short-range Ashe arrow), which has some similarities to both of them, but I dunno. I think of her as a generally tankier, soft-CC focused version of Amumu but with less burst.

Does that help? If you like tank junglers you'd probably like her.
    Hecarim is my first dip into actual junglers to be honest.

By style I mean like...like with Hecarim or to a lesser extend Volibear who have that sort of playstyle where they can traverse the map rather quickly, bust out of the undergrowth into a team fight and sow so much chaos and confusion that it throws things into disarray. Basically looking at a great initiator who can easily run down escaping opponents without having to rely on things like Flash and isn't a glass cannon.

Also, semi-related (Volibear), I used to build Atma's Spear + Warmog's Armor, but apparently that's no longer a viable thing what with the spear no longer being a thing. Suggestions?
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, Sejuani is a good fit for tanknitiator jungler with a dash.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

For champions, I recommend looking into Rek'sai and Gragas for that kind of role. Sejuani is more about bursts of control, rather than about chaos and picks.

Volibear jungle currently goes something like Cinderhulk -> Dead Man's Plate -> tank Item of Choice -> another tank item -> Titanic Hydra is my understanding. Titanic Hydra is kind of a new Atma's Impaler, in that it gives you damage based on your health. This is of course for jungling. In top lane it's much more of a fluid build, since your priority becomes laning power and so you can customize to your opponent, as where Cinderhulk -> Dead Man's Plate is a very strong core for clear speed, map mobility, and ganks. Being able to run up to someone, auto them for the slow, E for slow, and THEN flip behind you gives you a LOT more stickiness and catch potential than just building pure tank. If the third item can be Randuins, you get several seconds in slows just from your items. Likely your third item will end up being SV if the enemy team has much magic damage though, since most teams tend to have at least one AP threat.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I noticed today that Gangplank shouts "BARREL!" whenever he uses one. Now I can't stop noticing. Why does he do this?
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    I noticed today that Gangplank shouts "BARREL!" whenever he uses one. Now I can't stop noticing. Why does he do this?
    Why wouldn't he? I always found it very entertaining.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Worlds
    Show

Gahh.. i cant help but think that korean teams far to often make worlds pretty boring.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Maybe if we just hold Worlds without the Koreans and give the world champion a spot in the KR LCS (whatever that's called)?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Show
    Maybe if we just hold Worlds without the Koreans and give the world champion a spot in the KR LCS (whatever that's called)?
    Spoiler
    Show
    For a solid 3 or so years, OGN or now called the LCK, was a more competitive tournament than Worlds was.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Show
    Show
    I don't think that locking the Koreans out of Worlds would be beneficial in the long run. One of the reasons to even show up at an international competition is to pit yourself against the best in the world. Being steamrolled 3-0 by a Korean team is better than not being able to face them at all, because they're "too good to play against the rest of the world", and you can never even attempt to prove otherwise.

Also, Korean players would probably just migrate en masse to China and then we'd have to ban China from worlds.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Mhm.. it is of course then just a shame that how far you will go in the tournament largely depends on how lucky you are with avoiding the Korean teams.
    I think i would mind the Koreans just crushing everyone less if it did not also make it harder to fairly place the rest of the world.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

International comparisons were easier before the LCS was around. Now a days, we get 2 events a year to actually judge the teams from. I'd personally prefer things to go back to the big tourny every couple months. I however know that this opinion is of the minority.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Mhm.. it is of course then just a shame that how far you will go in the tournament largely depends on how lucky you are with avoiding the Korean teams.
    I think i would mind the Koreans just crushing everyone less if it did not also make it harder to fairly place the rest of the world.
    Well, it depends which Korean teams. The reason Royal got to the finals without facing Korean teams both of the previous years is because Fnatic kept Samsung Ozone out of Group B's top seed in 2013 and OMG beat Najin White Shield in 2014. In each of those years, the Korean semifinal was the real final, but the third Korean team didn't show up.

Really, this year's worlds have been the most balanced in terms of Korean bracket luck. The only non-KR regions that didn't get much chance to square off were China and Taiwan, and I don't think anyone could reasonably claim this year's regional shakeout (KR > EU > CH/TW > NA/Wildcard) was due to bracket luck.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2015-10-26 at 03:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    International comparisons were easier before the LCS was around. Now a days, we get 2 events a year to actually judge the teams from. I'd personally prefer things to go back to the big tourny every couple months. I however know that this opinion is of the minority.
    We still get other tourneys throughout the year, like IEM and the like. They're just not 'official' Riot events. NA even won at one of them this year.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris on a Stick View Post
    We still get other tourneys throughout the year, like IEM and the like. They're just not 'official' Riot events. NA even won at one of them this year.
    The only chance for international play besides Worlds and MSI, are the IEM's. I mean All-Stars is a show event, so it doesn't count. The IEM's can be cool yeah and a nice chance to see teams play but half the time it's not even the strongest team showing up for them and so it creates a very awkward lens with which to judge international comparisons. I mean I know there isn't a perfect solution by any means, but it just feels like currently the system doesn't work at all on an international level.

While NA did win two IEM's this year, the San Jose one was a joke in terms of international play. And the IEM WC was okay. I thought it was cool to see the teams play each other and even though I dislike the majority of the teams that were there, I still enjoyed it. My biggest issue was the format which is a personal objection.
    Last edited by mrcarter11; 2015-10-26 at 05:30 PM.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13