New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Help me build a tavern stronghold

Quote Originally Posted by Tohsaka Rin View Post
    That's silly. The purpose of a moat is to keep people out, not attract them.
    Besides, everyone who came would get drunk before they even got across, and- ooooh...
    ...Wait, they wouldn't pay for moat-drinking!
    Relax, it's just a gimmick for sweeps week. That 1gp holiday cover charge really pays for itself!

Well, okay, that and the alcoholic wizard you've got lodging in the second pantry.

Anyway, actual advice. If no one's mentioned it yet, look up Ultimate Campaign for Pathfinder; the rules are much more satisfying and streamlined and have employee/resources/location/profit bundled right in with the "raising buildings" rules.

Edit: Someone mentioned it

If you build fairly far outside city walls, remember that people want two things from lodgings in the wilderness; luxury and safety (also supplies, but that's understood if you're serving beer nuts and beds). Nobody cares about walnut paneling or brass fixtures when they're worried about thieving goblins sneaking around the caravan in the night, or hobgoblin scavenging parties kicking down the door and holding up the clientele, but in the same vein, the lure of warm beds and insobriety cools somewhat if the whole place is in grim dressed stone, with bars on the tiny windows and weapons within easy reach. The further away you are from help, the more people will want to hide in your big intimidating redoubt. The closer you get to city walls, the more people start requesting hot water bottles. Make sure to provide both in the right proportions, and it'll go a long way towards improving long-term popularity, and hence improving the stronghold itself.

Also? Specialty liquors from Arms & Equipment. When adventurers get out of that dusty tomb, they are thirsty.
    Last edited by Cirrylius; 2015-10-26 at 12:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Do you have stone wall?
    And what level is your caster?
    (The discount is higher for higher caster level and ultimately it becomes free)
    You could also find a cliff and dig up your fortress.(there is a cost reduction for that and finding the exact environment you want is easy with teleport ask for being teleported to a place looking like what you wish and you can get to it)
    Currently level 7 Bard working out the plan for when I'm level 9.

What I meant was that I don't have a caster. I would have to pay for the services of one (as per the PHB).

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    Relax, it's just a gimmick for sweeps week. That 1gp holiday cover charge really pays for itself!

Well, okay, that and the alcoholic wizard you've got lodging in the second pantry.

Anyway, actual advice. If no one's mentioned it yet, look up Ultimate Campaign for Pathfinder; the rules are much more satisfying and streamlined and have employee/resources/location/profit bundled right in with the "raising buildings" rules.

~snip~

Also? Specialty liquors from Arms & Equipment. When adventurers get out of that dusty tomb, they are thirsty.
    I'll look into the rules, but they would need DM approval.

I was looking at The Arms & Equipment Guide and there's something that bothers me. I have craft: vinter, which is mentioned in the book, but nowhere do I find DCs for making alcohol.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbaerrohwen View Post
    I was looking at The Arms & Equipment Guide and there's something that bothers me. I have craft: vinter, which is mentioned in the book, but nowhere do I find DCs for making alcohol.
    Use the generic DCs - 5 for very simple, 10 for typical, 15 for high quality, and 20 for complex. Wine spans the range; even the DMG recognizes that there is fine wine (10gp for a bottle) and common wine (2sp for a pitcher).
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #34

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbaerrohwen View Post
    I'll look into the rules, but they would need DM approval.
    Update. MY DM has approved the rules from Pathfinder Ultimate Campaign and the inn has been constructed (or is being constructed) and I'm not planning out a Bardic college named after a famous brass dragon in the campaign. In total, it still cost me less than just the walls for the tavern I was looking at in Stronghold builder's Guidebook and it has flat rates for teams of employees, which means less micro managing. It is beautiful.

Thank you, Cirrylius!

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Use the generic DCs - 5 for very simple, 10 for typical, 15 for high quality, and 20 for complex. Wine spans the range; even the DMG recognizes that there is fine wine (10gp for a bottle) and common wine (2sp for a pitcher).
    A good point.

My DM and I looked this over and it left me with one simple issue: what about wines from Arms & Equipment Guide that are obviously more expensive and exotic than those in the PHB?

The rule he has house ruled is that the craft check is based on the Fort save required by the wine.

Looks like we're all wrapped up folks!

Thanks again or all the help.