New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed V: Your Familiar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Not cheating, exactly. They are certainly playing house rules different to the official rules. But if all players agree to the variant, it isn't cheating.
    Common house rules are also largely responsible for turning a 60-120 minute game into a 60-120 hour game.

Though landing on s property with 5 hotels would end the game pretty fast, i gotta say.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #902
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Not cheating, exactly. They are certainly playing house rules different to the official rules. But if all players agree to the variant, it isn't cheating.
    I don't know, if the variant is thought to be to the suggester's advantage (Never really played a full game of real monopoly, but more hotels does seem to be in Haley's favour) and the other players aren't aware of that, (It's Elan) I would think that's pretty close to (if not being) cheating depending on context.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Sometime between 46 and 681, Haley grasped the concept of tipping.
    That's character growth. Haley is learning from Elan as we learn in panel 7 of 681.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

4. - Top - End - #904

The exit Durkon was exiled from is the same Roy found using the runestone.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

5. - Top - End - #905

DrowGirl

Gotcha. Not really all that similar in my opinion.
    Having a trait usually tied to a certain class automatically added upon taking a level, or having to already have the trait (gained or already attributed) before taking the level.
    elephants are made of carbon

and so are you

6. - Top - End - #906

OldWizardGuy

Ya, if it were Haley and V, I would believe that they both knew the game rules inside and out and had agreed on some variant rules. But this is Elan. She probably told him a few basic rules, and then just failed to mention all the other rules unless & until they helped her. So the no-more-than-one-hotel rule isn't mentioned unless Elan tries to build a second hotel on Marvin Gardens, at which point she'll tell him that you can only build one hotel on Marvin Gardens. Multiple hotels is for blue squares only.

If in the next game, Elan gets Park Place, it'll be "Oh, honey, ya, you can only build a second hotel if you own two utilities, remember?"

Low, Haley, low.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I had no idea what Veldrina was talking about in #987 until I read the Wrecan vs Vaarsuvius poll. Thanks to that thread, I now also understand the ''I like counting things" quote. (RIP Wrecan )

Aaand now I know that a cameo is a piece of jewellery.

8. - Top - End - #908

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    The exit Durkon was exiled from is the same Roy found using the runestone.
    Nice catch! :D

Interestingly, in the old art style, it looks very different (ditto for the scene in otOoPCs)- but it looks just like it currently does in the 2014 calendar.

My contribution: High Priestess Rubyrock has a facial scar. (It's most noticeable in the panel after the flashback, but it's in the flashback too - it's clearly a scar, and not vampire-fighting damage.)
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A scar shaped like a lightning bolt, no less.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

10. - Top - End - #910

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    A scar shaped like a lightning bolt, no less.
    She does not have it at Durkon's ordination (assuming as many people do she was sitting in the front row). I can't help feeling if that was her, she has a very bad memory given the plot has depended on her poor memory.

11. - Top - End - #911

She does not have it at Durkon's ordination (assuming as many people do she was sitting in the front row). I can't help feeling if that was her, she has a very bad memory given the plot has depended on her poor memory.
    What exactly is she supposed to remember, though? Middle-Priest Rubyrock attends the ordination of a Dwarf named Durkon, who later disappears for reasons no one is sure of. Many years later, as High Priestess, she receives a letter from Durkon, in exile, politely asking if he can come home now. She is confused and horrified; searches her predecessor's records for any clue as to what could be going on; finds nothing and is even more confused and horrified; writes back telling Durkon he can of course come back as soon as he likes. Still later she meets Durkon, now a vampire, and tries to help his adventuring buddies chasing after him as best she can: notably, by zapping him with lightning and, when that fails, telling them the one thing she knows about Durkon's exile, namely that it's officially over if he wants.

What has she forgotten? No one other than Hurak, Blackore, and the High Priest of Odin ever knew about the prophesy.
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2017-09-09 at 09:31 AM.
    Show
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.

12. - Top - End - #912

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    What exactly is she supposed to remember, though? Middle-Priest Rubyrock attends the ordination of a Dwarf named Durkon, who later disappears for reasons no one is sure of. Many years later, as High Priestess, she receives a letter from Durkon, in exile, politely asking if he can come home now. She is confused and horrified; searches her predecessor's records for any clue as to what could be going on; finds nothing and is even more confused and horrified; writes back telling Durkon he can of course come back as soon as he likes. Still later she meets Durkon, now a vampire, and tries to help his adventuring buddies chasing after him as best she can: notably, by zapping him with lightning and, when that fails, telling them the one thing she knows about Durkon's exile, namely that it's officially over if he wants.

What has she forgotten? No one other than Hurak, Blackore, and the High Priest of Odin ever knew about the prophesy.
    She did not remember the connection until the vampire mentioned exile. Afterwards she tells Roy that may be the truth will help. If she had remembered earlier she could have said the truth earlier and maybe that would have swung the battle.

13. - Top - End - #913

She did not remember the connection until the vampire mentioned exile. Afterwards she tells Roy that may be the truth will help. If she had remembered earlier she could have said the truth earlier and maybe that would have swung the battle.
    Well... maaaaaaybe. I can't imagine that comics 1000-1019 take that long in wall-clock time, though. And she spends most of that attending the formal part of the Godsmoot, literally possesed by Thor, or trying to help Roy in a much more direct, vampire-murdery way.

I think, at the very least, "the plot has depended on her poor memory" is really strong for what we've actually seen her contribute. (And whether she attended his ordination thirty-odd years ago seems pretty unrelated to whether she decides to shout things at a vampire mid-combat.)
    Show

14. - Top - End - #914

Well... maaaaaaybe. I can't imagine that comics 1000-1019 take that long in wall-clock time, though. And she spends most of that attending the formal part of the Godsmoot, literally possesed by Thor, or trying to help Roy in a much more direct, vampire-murdery way.

I think, at the very least, "the plot has depended on her poor memory" is really strong for what we've actually seen her contribute. (And whether she attended his ordination thirty-odd years ago seems pretty unrelated to whether she decides to shout things at a vampire mid-combat.)
    I think you might be right. I am being harder on her than I have a right to.

15. - Top - End - #915

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ok, I don't mean to be picking on you in particular, but ... that was not the High Priest of Odin. The person who gave Hurak the prophecy is only ever "a" priest of Odin or "the" (presumably local) priest of Odin. Not the High Priest. Odin has no special concern for dwarves; there's no reason to believe his high priest would be a dwarf (and indeed the current one isn't, though she probably wasn't high priest at the time of Durkon's exile).
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

16. - Top - End - #916

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    Ok, I don't mean to be picking on you in particular, but ... that was not the High Priest of Odin. The person who gave Hurak the prophecy is only ever "a" priest of Odin or "the" (presumably local) priest of Odin. Not the High Priest. Odin has no special concern for dwarves; there's no reason to believe his high priest would be a dwarf (and indeed the current one isn't, though she probably wasn't high priest at the time of Durkon's exile).
    Huh, I could have sworn Hurak said High Priest. But you're right, it's just "Odin's priest" - presumably the local one for Firmament, yup.

Although there's no particular reason to think Odin's priest wouldn't be a Dwarf, either, beyond the empirical fact that she currently isn't. Now I want to do some stats...

18 major (Northern) gods and 7 demigods:
    • 12 humans or plausibly human-looking (Odin, Sif, Heimdall, Freya, Sunna, Mani, Skadi, Hoder, Vafthrudnir, Sigrun, Bragi, Hermod)
    • 4 dwarves (Thor, Frigg, Hel (sorta), Dvalin)
    • 3 halflings (Baldr, Loki, Iounn)
    • 2 gnomes (Freyr, Njord)
    • 2 orcs (Tyr, Fenrir(?))
    • 1 fire giant (Surtur)
    • 1 frost giant (Thrym)

Not a single elf or lizardfolk, although obviously they both live mostly out West.
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2017-09-09 at 04:56 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

Not a single elf or lizardfolk, although obviously they both live mostly out West.
    Similarly, there are no dwarf, gnome or halfling high priests in the south and west. (Comic #999)

South is 10 humans, 1 ratfolk and 1 half-orc (or orc?).
    West is 12 humans, 4 elves, 2 lizardfolk, 1 kobold and 1 humanoid with wings I can't place.

Also of note is that there are a lot of different subraces and cultures presents. You see that the easiest in the southern group, where are there 10 humans but each one is clearly inspired by a different culture. (Also see #501) Also in the west group each elf and lizardfolk seems to be a different subrace.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2017-09-10 at 02:52 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

18. - Top - End - #918

DrowGirl

First time reading up the comic, I didn't notice that Nale had a goatee until the comic where they outright mentioned that. I am so innatentive!
    elephants are made of carbon

and so are you

19. - Top - End - #919

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Similarly, there are no dwarf, gnome or halfling high priests in the south and west. (Comic #999)

South is 10 humans, 1 ratfolk and 1 half-orc (or orc?).
    West is 12 humans, 4 elves, 2 lizardfolk, 1 kobold and 1 humanoid with wings I can't place.

Also of note is that there are a lot of different subraces and cultures presents. You see that the easiest in the southern group, where are there 10 humans but each one is clearly inspired by a different culture. (Also see #501) Also in the west group each elf and lizardfolk seems to be a different subrace.
    Who's the orc? (I am colourblind, so picking out greens from browns is not the easiest for me.)
    Show

20. - Top - End - #920

Who's the orc? (I am colourblind, so picking out greens from browns is not the easiest for me.)
    The one to the right of the ratfolk.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

21. - Top - End - #921

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGriffin View Post
    The one to the right of the ratfolk.
    In the hat with the smokestack? ...yeah, I guess that's green. Stupid colourblindness. :P

ETA: And, vaguely inspired by the thread linked through in GrayGriffin's sig, some other stats...

14 Male-bodied* priests
    11 Female-bodied* priestesses
    -----
    17 gods
    8 goddesses
    -----
    5 gods with priestesses (Odin, Thor, Njord, Hoder, Hermod)
    2 goddesses with priests (Sunna, Hel)
    12 gods with priests
    6 goddesses with priestesses

*I think those are applicable terms anyways, but in any case I am literally basing my judgements here on torso-curviness. STICK FIGURES!
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2017-09-11 at 12:18 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    I never noticed the winged humanoid. One possibility is it's an Avariel, a winged elf (the elven lands are on the Western Continent). No visible pointy ears, though.

2 orcs (Tyr, Fenrir(?))
    Fenrir's High Priest has a tail. An apparently prehensile tail. Some kind of Monkeyfolk? The ears don't look very monkey-ish though.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-09-11 at 08:22 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

23. - Top - End - #923

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Fenrir's High Priest has a tail. An apparently prehensile tail. Some kind of Monkeyfolk? The ears don't look very monkey-ish though.
    Things I never noticed: Fenrir's High Priest has a tail.

Monkeyfolk seems more Southern than Northern, too, and the teeth and ears definitely aren't monkey-like. Hrmmm. I want to say "some kind of be-tailed goblinoid" but the internet can't find me any...
    Show

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ettin in the Playground

Things I never noticed: Fenrir's High Priest has a tail.

Monkeyfolk seems more Southern than Northern, too, and the teeth and ears definitely aren't monkey-like. Hrmmm. I want to say "some kind of be-tailed goblinoid" but the internet can't find me any...
    I agree with you on the ears bit, but have you seen monkey teeth?

I never noticed V and Blackwing approaching the artificer's shop while Belkar was getting his ring.

Or Durkon harming* himself after Roy's initial attack.

* Harm, Inflict Serious Wounds, Bear's Endurance, whatever, you get the idea.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

25. - Top - End - #925

In 16, Elan is sleeping peacefully throughout Durkon's "turns".

26. - Top - End - #926
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Something I just noticed in Haleo and Julean, which has a hilarious implication in the main story. - Spoilered

Spoiler: Haleo & Julean
    Show
    On the last page of the story when Haleo and Julean are running away from everybody, Pompey is among those chasing them. What makes it weird is he has Nurse Banjo on his hand at the same time. That implies that Nurse Banjo is sentient, because there would be no reason to keep wearing it otherwise if Julean was dead.

So really, this just makes me wonder about the real Banjo (within a particular definition of real); and how much of that carries over.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

27. - Top - End - #927

I agree with you on the ears bit, but have you seen monkey teeth?
    Oh, I wasn't comparing to real world monkeys, just like real world humans have more than three fingers. I was just pointing out that Monkey, the canonical monkey, has no visible teeth when they talk. (I suppose "monkey teeth" could have gotten an art upgrade in the interim, but on the other hand an art upgrade would be less likely to eliminate the fur colouration on the chest and head.)

Or Durkon harming* himself after Roy's initial attack.
    I never even noticed Durkon and Roy were in that panel!
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2017-09-12 at 09:59 AM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

I never noticed the winged humanoid. One possibility is it's an Avariel, a winged elf (the elven lands are on the Western Continent). No visible pointy ears, though.

Speaking about ears: (I never noticed that) Half-orcs don't have ears... only hair indents to suggest the location of ears. It's also doesn't look like goblin ears.
    I suspect wolffolk, because Fenrir, and wolves have pointy ears and 4 pronounced teeth. However the curly tail doesn't really fit wolves though and also wolffolks aren't really a dnd race. Catfolk could also work, but lacks that cool connection to Fenrir.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

That's just due to the shape of Bozzak's sideburns. Orcs, whether half or full-blooded, don't have visible ears.
    ungelic is us

30. - Top - End - #930

Incidentally, search reveals there was a High Priest of Fenrir? thread already: they came to no firm conclusions, but "orc with some kind of lycanthropic business, because Fenrir" seems the most plausible to me.
    Show