New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [IC; PF]Towers & Tyrants

Valdr sighs and stops thirty feet from the plant as well. The weedwhip is a fairly minor threat, relative to the rest of the Garden. Not, he thinks, worth the use of one of his greater spells. But it needs dealt with the same as the rest, and he can assist in that task without necessarily expending a significant amount of his own magic.

Thus, staying back at the very edge of his range, he flicks his fingers and murmurs a few words, conjuring up a bit of acid to throw at the plant.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stopping thirty feet away and casting acid splash.
    Ranged touch attack: (1d20)[13]
    Damage: (1d3)[1] acid
    Please don't capitalize my name.

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

The plant seems to recoil under the barrage of spells and weapons. It shivers as soil falls off of it and uproots itself before slowly retreating away from the source of the attack. Where it had sat, you see several dry, cracked bones and a few tufts of cloth--evidence of long-dead victims.

The source of the shining you had previously noticed is a length of ivory decorated with gold inlay that catches the light of the suns. From this position, Feisal is able to determine that it has an aura of faint conjuration, but is unable to ascertain any other information without a closer inspection.
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Does Feisal mention what he divines?
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Feisal's heart began beating faster. "It has a treasure!" In his excitement, he walked forwards, charging his sword with lightning before attempting to release is in the plant.

Spoiler: Turn!
    Show
    Screw Poison, there's treasure to be found!
    Using Spell Combat to cast Shocking Grasp, then stepping forwards and attacking.

(d20+6)[12] (unless it's a metal plant of some sort )
    (3d6)[9] ( 1d6 for weapon damage, 2d6 for Shocking Grasp)
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #65

As you enter it's field of awareness, the plant snaps to attention like a predator suddenly aware of a tender morsel! In his eagerness, Feisal looses his footing on the soft ground and nearly trips in the thready plant fibers! Though he avoids tumbling, his thrust goes wide and the creatures moves away from the wide swing. it vines tense, ready to strike!
    Last edited by Sir Shadow; 2016-01-04 at 09:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Does he not listen at all? Valdr thinks, watching Feisal run headlong at the weedwhip. The wizard shakes his head and flicks another globe of acid at the plant.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Moving to 30 feet from the weedwhip, casting acid splash again.
    Ranged touch attack: (1d20)[7]
    Acid damage: (1d3)[2]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Henti closes to 30' (basically keeping pace with the weedwhip) and shoots at it again.
    Spoiler: Twang!
    Show
    (1d20+3)[13], damage (1d6)[6]
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

8. - Top - End - #68

Thard reloads and shoots his crossbow again at the plant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[24], damage (1d8)[5]

EDIT: NICE! Too bad plants are immune to crits, but at least it definitely hit.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2016-01-08 at 03:54 AM.
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Feisal was slightly embarrased by his miss, but forged on nonetheless.

Spoiler: Turn
    Show
    Since Shocking Grasp is a touch spell, Feisal is still considered "holding the charge" until he hits. So if he hits this round, the plant takes the Shocking Grasp damage from the last post. Anyway, Attack!

(d20+6)[20]
    (d6+1)[2]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

Liang watches the over eager adventurer dash in head first towards the carnivorous plant she becomes mentally weary, something akin to what a child care provider would feel, then begins recalculating the situation. So if he dies that wouldn't be so bad, we still have a decent sized group to draw on and this type of behaviour would more than likely result in others getting hurt along the road but then again the others would probably want to have a memorial or something..... Oh gods what if they ask me to speak?!?! I have nothing formal to wear, I didn't even know him how could I prepare anything that wouldn't make me look cold and uncaring causing others to distance themselves from me. I cannot wander this bloody maze on my own because this stupid mule is being a nuisance and in short order I will need some dupe to carry my supplies.... wait is going on again... drat we still have to kill said plant that plans to eat the aforementioned adventurer.

Snapping out of her inner monologue, Liang gingerly strides forward until she is within throwing range and gingerly tosses a bomb at the area nearest to the plant, aiming so she will not hit the one named 'Feisal', thus negating the oaf's body from blocking the target.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    So moving until within 20ft then throwing a standard bomb at a square next to the plant so it will take splash damage (it will also only have an AC of 5 so really hard to miss XD ) and using precise bombs to miss Feisal.

to hit (vs AC of 5 for hitting an unoccupied square) (1d20+6)[12] point blank shot!
    Splash damage is equal to 7 fire damage
    Blarg...

11. - Top - End - #71

As the plant readies itself to strike, the decisive strike from Thard and the fiery explosive chucked by Liang Min manage to extinguish its life. The being shudders several times before it falls limp, and the leaves shrivel and die as the it wilts before your eyes. Searching the area around where it had been sitting, you find several piles of bones. Two are clearly from humanoids, though the state of decomposition is far too great for you to tell what race or gender they were, and the rest are just the remains of large rodents.

You manage to collect some loose gold and silver coins, but the real catch is the wand that had caught your eye. It is a length of ivory roughly eight inches in length with gold detailing wrapping around it. Feisal is able to determine that it is able to summon weak creatures, but, curiously enough, only ones that are good-aligned. Valdr confirms his diagnoses, but adds that such a restriction on the item could possibly lower it's total value in the eyes of your employer.

Tavis shrugs, "Ets only been a couple hours. We've plenty o' time t' find more loot."

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone receives 100 xp each!

Loot:
    12 gold pieces
    46 silver pieces
    Wand of Summon Monster I (Good Only) 48/50 charges

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thard, that wand sounds right up your alley, though I understand if you defer philosophically," says Henti. "What other interest is there for the wand?"
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

"The wand goes to our employer," Valdr says, glancing over the bones. "Unless you really think that a trinket is worth his anger if he finds we've broken his rule on magical items. Shall we continue, then? There seems to be little else here of interest."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

The Ambassador nods slowly and says, "I am aware of our contract with our employer, and the idea was not for keeping. However, things were a little fuzzy on the use of objects found while in the garden and before return. Usage before remanding custody over is no more than a stronger investment in our - and by extension, the sultan's - expedition."
    Current Games

15. - Top - End - #75

"Let's worry about that when it comes to that," says Thard. "I can argue both sides, but for now let me focus on practicing my own magics. If we are in extremis and lacking in resources, it will be important then. In the meantime, may I be the one to carry it? I would like to study it if we have any downtime."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Henti nods her head thoughtfully. "Fine, let's move out."
    Current Games

17. - Top - End - #77

Liang Min allows the others to argue semantics, if they wanted to violate the terms of their employment that would be their problem and she would not interfere. The remark concerning downtime made her snicker slightly "Do you really think we will have much time to sit around while we are in here? This place is a giant death trap and anytime not spent sleeping would be better served keeping watch unless you wouldn't mind being ambushed and mauled." Though it is a shame the plant withered so violently... I would have liked to collect a sample for future analysis but alas I am without luck.
    Blarg...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Feisal's face burned as the plant withered in front of him. He was unsure if any of his attacks had bothered the plant at all. Magic, fighting; just pick one, and stick with it. Otherwise you'll make a mess of things. Feisal shook his head hard to get the condescending voice of one of his teachers out of his head. He was going to make this work.

The tiefling woman's voice brought him back to the present, where he still had work to do. "In any case, maybe we can discuss and travel at the same time?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

"I suggest that we focus on one," Valdr says sharply. "Unless you would prefer to be distracted the next time we encounter a weedwhip, or something much worse. And as we are not here for the purpose of conversation, may I again suggest that we resume travel?"

20. - Top - End - #80

With Valdr's final decree, the group stirs and begins moving in the same direction as before. The minutes pass silently and you soon notice trees in the distance. Within the hour, you reach the line of tall oak trees which over sweet relief from the suns above. Once under the canopies, you can hear the sound of running water nearby.

Around this time, hunger begins to set in as the group realizes that most of you have not eaten since dinner.

21. - Top - End - #81

Thard's four-armed eidolon stands guard while the kayal bends down to drink from the hopefully cooling waters ...
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

While the group stops for a drink, Henti is going to see if she can't tell if there are any stains of sin and darkness anywhere .... starting with the water itself. (Detect evil)
    Current Games

23. - Top - End - #83

Liang Min rummages through the saddlebags on her @ss and takes out a trail ration and her water skin, she daintily nibbles on the rather bland foodstuff but keeps a close eye on what is happening around them. Personally she would have waited longer to stop but if she wanted to remain in the good books of these people she may as well take a small break.
    Blarg...

24. - Top - End - #84

As the group moves deeper into the wooded area, you find a moderately-sized river winding slowly through the area. The light flickering through the the branches and leaves overhead plays along the water, and though she is busy munching on rations, Liang Min somehow manages to notice a large alligator hovering the water nearby. Before she can warn Thard, the beast erupts out of the water and... latches its teeth into a nearby antelope!

The creature thrashes and fights for a moment before its pulled down into the water. A quiet settles over the area before the donkey brays nervously, backing away from the water. Though you were only able to glimpse the two animals for a moment, you noticed they both had a celestial nature.
    Last edited by Sir Shadow; 2016-01-24 at 04:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Henti says a twofold prayer: first, gratitude for having seen such blessed beasts; second, that such blessed beasts do not remember more the side of them that are "beast" when we're nearby. We don't need a similar brush with the divine.
    Last edited by PSinger; 2016-01-26 at 01:50 AM.
    Current Games

26. - Top - End - #86

At first, Thard feels a jolt of shock and fear go through him, but he can't move from his spot. It's not a craven paralysis, but rather fascination. He is a student of nature, believing it to help him be more capable at his own pursuits. He watches the manner in which the crocodile attacks, angles, and the like, cataloguing its power mentally for the future. Such a creature, if he can gain strength enough, just might be worth learning how to conjure in the future.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Feisal jumped a bit, seeing the attack, but then nodded. Even celestial animals needed to eat. "Shall we continue?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming everyone gets whatever water they need/ want, "Let's move out."
    Current Games

29. - Top - End - #89

"Where to?" Tavis asks, "I din't exactly like the idea of fordin' a river with the likes o' that in it."

30. - Top - End - #90

"Who says we have to?" asks Thard. "We are looking for a direction for adventure. Let's enjoy being near a water source. We'll have constant access, but anything in the Garden that might want to cause trouble will also need water. We could walk in circles on the open plains for nary an encounter, but with the river our chances for interesting encounters increase - and plants need water as well. We were told we'd find more of them.

"Now, normally going upriver if you are near a source will deal with more mountains and more specialized vegetation. Heading downriver normally leads to wetter lands and greater biodiversity. I'm good following the river either way."
    Show