New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1578
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

Q. 376
    As their Infusions are considered 'neither divine or arcane', do Artificers have a 'caster level' for purposes of qualifying for feats and prestige classes, or only an 'effective' one in regard to item creation?

I assume the latter, but I'd like confirmation and a source.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q377

Concerning the feat Elven Spell Lore (PHBII): If, for this feat, you were to select Ray of Enfeeblement (or a similar spell), could you then prepare different variations of Ray of Enfeeblement that would deal different types of ability damage?
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

A374 detail correction

A bard (who is an arcane caster) has cure light wounds on his spell list, so a bard could indeed use a wand of it. The rest of Quietus' answer is correct: The only requirement is for the spell in the wand to be on your class spell list. There is no distinction between arcane and divine wands, unlike scrolls.

A375

The Arcane Disciple (from Complete Divine) feat, taken for the Healing domain. You can only cast one domain spell of each level per day, and you don't get separate slots reserved for domain spells...but it does add them to your class spell list.

A377

Elven Spell Lore's text does eventually mention that it allows you to prepare a spell with a different energy type then usual; ability damage isn't an energy type, so this does not apply. Besides which, ray of enfeeblement doesn't cause ability damage, it imposes a temporary penalty to Strength.

I question many feat texts in PHB2, as a number of them seem incomplete in their description; such as Elven Spell Lore's late mention of energy types.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-07-29 at 01:16 AM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #994
    Troll in the Playground

A376

An Artificer can qualify for prestige classes with casting level requirements (as long as they do not specifically require arcane or divine casting), even though his infusions aren't spells. An artificer's caster level for his infusions fulfills this requirement.
    (This can be found in Magic of Eberron page 53)
    Last edited by Gralamin; 2007-07-29 at 01:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 377
    What happened to the Calling attribute? Or, more appropriately for this thread, what are the specs on the Calling attribute? I could have sworn it used to be in the DMG in 3.0.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

6. - Top - End - #996

Q 378
    When a Marshal utilizes the Motivate Charisma minor aura, does he:
    A. Allow all allies and himself to utilize his Charisma modifier for Charisma-based checks (in preference to their own).

Or

B. Gain, and grant to his allies, a bonus on Charisma-based skill checks equal to his Charisma modifier (effectively doubling that modifier while the aura is active).

Since the bonus provided by Auras is identified as a 'circumstance bonus' rather than a simple ability score bonus, I would assume the latter, but I'm looking for confirmation and don't have the full miniatures handbook to look through.

Please include a source and Pg. # if at all possible.

7. - Top - End - #997

Q189 Revisited
    In this post a question about sneaking from hiding and multiple attacks was answered. But after reading the reference, I find it doesn't mention multiple attacks in one round, only the penalty to hiding again after making an attack.
    Should a rogue attacking from hiding make a hide roll after each attack to be able to stay hidden?
    The situation where the rogue makes one attack and hides again if pretty well explained, but I don't understand how multiple attacks from hiding should be handled.
    Ein gutes Gedicht ist nicht dazu da, die Welt zu verbessern – es ist selbst ein Stück verbesserte Welt.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squishycube View Post
    Q189 Revisited
    In this post a question about sneaking from hiding and multiple attacks was answered. But after reading the reference, I find it doesn't mention multiple attacks in one round, only the penalty to hiding again after making an attack.
    Should a rogue attacking from hiding make a hide roll after each attack to be able to stay hidden?
    The situation where the rogue makes one attack and hides again if pretty well explained, but I don't understand how multiple attacks from hiding should be handled.
    Hiding after sniping is a move action so you won't take multiple attacks and then hide in the same round without some ability to change that.

From the SRD: "Usually none. Normally, you make a Hide check as part of movement, so it doesn’t take a separate action. However, hiding immediately after a ranged attack (see Sniping, above) is a move action."
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

9. - Top - End - #999
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Q 377
    What happened to the Calling attribute? Or, more appropriately for this thread, what are the specs on the Calling attribute? I could have sworn it used to be in the DMG in 3.0.
    A. 378 (NOT 377)

It is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Schools of Magic
    Calling: A calling spell transports a creature from another plane to the plane you are on. The spell grants the creature the one-time ability to return to its plane of origin, although the spell may limit the circumstances under which this is possible. Creatures who are called actually die when they are killed; they do not disappear and reform, as do those brought by a summoning spell (see below). The duration of a calling spell is instantaneous, which means that the called creature can’t be dispelled.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick View Post
    Q 378
    (this should be 379)

B is the correct answer. It's one of the reasons "diplomancer" builds dip a level of marshal - they get to add twice their Charisma to Diplomacy (as well as getting Skill Focus for free).

A 378 add'l

Sil - I don't know why, but I had the impression he was talking about the weapon ability "Calling."
    Last edited by Zherog; 2007-07-29 at 12:52 PM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    A 378 add'l

Sil - I don't know why, but I had the impression he was talking about the weapon ability "Calling."
    Ahh yes, good call. I will be quiet now.
    LLS

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raum View Post
    Hiding after sniping is a move action so you won't take multiple attacks and then hide in the same round without some ability to change that.

From the SRD: "Usually none. Normally, you make a Hide check as part of movement, so it doesn’t take a separate action. However, hiding immediately after a ranged attack (see Sniping, above) is a move action."
    A. 189 revisited -- amplification

This is all correct in the absence of Hide in Plain Sight. A character with HiPS doesn't need to move after firing if they otherwise meet the requirements to Hide.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2007-07-29 at 04:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Q 380

Can a multiclassed Bard/Marshal use both his Marshal Auras and Bardic music, assuming the music is Singing or Oratory? Both required vocalization, can they both be done at once?

Q 381
    Can a multiclassed Dragon Shaman/Marshal use all of his normally allowed Dragon Shaman and Marshal Auras simultaneously?

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q 382

I'm pretty sure this in the book Deities and Demigods, what god/alignment would a cleric with the weather domain use?

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

A 382

According to Deities and Demigods, Zeus (CG) and Thor (CG) have access to the weather domain, but I think the following deault pantheon gods probably should as well: Bahamut(LG), Fharlanghn (N) and Obad-Hai (N). You may also find this to be useful.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A. 189 revisited -- amplification

This is all correct in the absence of Hide in Plain Sight. A character with HiPS doesn't need to move after firing if they otherwise meet the requirements to Hide.
    I didn't say it required you to move, I said it was a move action. It still is with Hide in Plain Sight.

Without some ability allowing you to Hide as a free or swift action, Hiding is either a move action or done as part of a move action. It can also be combined with Bluff and a move action.
    -
    -

17. - Top - End - #1007

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 380

Can a multiclassed Bard/Marshal use both his Marshal Auras and Bardic music, assuming the music is Singing or Oratory? Both required vocalization, can they both be done at once?

Q 381
    Can a multiclassed Dragon Shaman/Marshal use all of his normally allowed Dragon Shaman and Marshal Auras simultaneously?
    A 380

According to the RAW, yes. A bard need only use a standard action each round to maintain his bardic music abilities, while Marshal Aura is only a Swift action to activate. A bard cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), spell trigger (such as wands), or command word, but the Marshal Aura is not listed as any of those in my documentation. As long as the two benefits don't overlap eachother, you should be able to benefit from both.

A 381

You may not activate your Marshal Aura and Draconic Aura in the same round. Both require a Swift action to activate, and you only get one Swift action per round. However, once they are active, both will remain active continuously. As long as the effects don't overlap with each other, you should be able to gain the benefit of both class Auras.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-07-29 at 11:28 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raum View Post
    I didn't say it required you to move, I said it was a move action. It still is with Hide in Plain Sight.

Without some ability allowing you to Hide as a free or swift action, Hiding is either a move action or done as part of a move action.
    Incorrect. You're ignoring this part of the RAW:
    It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to hide while attacking, running or charging.
    and note the qualifiers here:
    Action: Usually none. Normally, you make a Hide check as part of movement, so it doesn’t take a separate action.
    You can Hide while attacking; it just imposes a -20 penalty to do so. Thus with Hide in Plain Sight you're not required to move in order to Hide after each shot, because you instead Hide while shooting.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ogre in the Playground

You neglected to consider (or quote) the next sentence under action where it specifically talks about sniping.

Start a separate thread if you still have questions after reading the sentence on sniping and we can discuss it there.
    -
    -

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

Q383 What feats augment, are activated by, or are amplified by the Combat Expertise feat? I'm looking for feats in the vein of Deadly Defense from CScn.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q384 -

It seems Daylight is the counter-part to darkness in this game... However, when someone cast darkness, there is a SEVERE disadvantage to someone thats in it....such as a 50% hit chance.

Why is it that Daylight has no such disadvantage on bottom dwelling creatures, you would figure being underground for weeks or months or years, a burst of Daylight would either confuse, blind, or scare or confuse these creatures...

"I cast daylight!"
    " Very Well. The orc squints."

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Troll in the Playground

A. 384

There are certain races that suffer adverse effects from Daylight (other than squinting).

These races usually spend a lot of time underground and therefore suffer from Light Sensitivity, such as Drow or Kobolds. Some Undeads are also affected or even damaged by Daylight.
    LLS

23. - Top - End - #1013

A384

Daylight has adverse affect on undead. Additionally, some creatures are dazzled by daylight (orcs, kobolds). Likewise, creatures with low light vision aren't really affected by the 'shadowy illumination' of a darkness spell. And in total darkness many creature can use darkvision.

24. - Top - End - #1014

Q385

In Eberron, what is the land speed (daily) of an Orien coach on an Orien Trade Road?

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    Likewise, creatures with low light vision aren't really affected by the 'shadowy illumination' of a darkness spell. And in total darkness many creature can use darkvision.
    Low-light vision or even darkvision is no help in the shadowy illumination created by a Darkness spell.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Darkness
    Even creatures that can normally see in such conditions (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical darkness.
    LLS

26. - Top - End - #1016

Q 386+:
    Most of this should be RAW, the last few bits may not be, but I would appreciate the help.

Other than the awaken construct spell, do methodologies exist to grant a modicum of intelligence (1 point, doglike, or humanlike- doesn't matter) to a construct, thus allowing it to gain skill points and feats upon leveling?

I assume here that an intelligent construct would indeed gain such.

For purposes of adding intelligence by simply making it an 'intelligent item' (a mere +1000gp for two scores at 10 and one at twelve, source table 7-30 DMG, pg. 269.), does a mindless construct qualify as an item, or a creature?

Since intelligent items are to be 'treated as constructs', in other words....can things that are alreadyconstructs be made intelligent items?

Could a 'constructlike' item, such as an Apparatus of Kwalish, be made intelligent for the aforementioned +1000gp price?
    Could an intelligent Apparatus of Kwalish, presumably, operate itself?

Further, if an existing construct- for instance, a Clockwork Steed- were to be constructed as a completely user-operated device, like an Apparatus of Kwalish, but otherwise remained identical (for instance, still had 6 construct HD) could it then be made an 'intelligent item'?

386a.
    The following rules of the game column states that increasing extra HD each add 5,000gp to the base price of a construct, while increasing it sufficiently to increase its size category adds 50,000.

Firstly, I would assume this cost is also applied when 'upgrading' a construct to add an additional HD after initial creation; is this true?

Secondly, since creatures of size small and larger have no minimum HD requirement per the MM table 5-1, I would assume the latter (50k) cost never applies to such a construct when advanced. Is this so?
    Last edited by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick; 2007-07-30 at 04:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1017

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    Q385

In Eberron, what is the land speed (daily) of an Orien coach on an Orien Trade Road?
    A 385

The Caravan is the only speed given per day. The rest are given per hour.

An Orien coach moves at an average speed of 5 Miles per Hour.

A Caravan moves at about 15 Miles per Day.

The Lightning Rail moves at 30 Miles per Hour.

House Lyrandar Galleon moves across the sea at 20 Miles per Hour, and the Airship moves at 20 Miles per Hour through the air.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-07-30 at 03:56 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

28. - Top - End - #1018

Q189 Continued
    The answers imply that the rogue becomes visible immediately after the first attack, the rogue would be considered spotted for iterative attacks, the second attack from rapid shot, etc, but nowhere can I find this stated explicitly.
    (It is explicitly stated in the Invisibility spell, but not in the Hide description. I imagine them working the same way, but it just doesn't say.)
    I do not actually want to have the rogue hidden again after the attack, I want him to stay hidden until his attacks are done, is this possible?

The reason I'm going on about this is that my party thinks that the rogue's opponent needs to get a turn to 'get his wits about him' or something, they think that the rogue gets to make a full attack from hiding and becomes visible afterwards.
    Ein gutes Gedicht ist nicht dazu da, die Welt zu verbessern – es ist selbst ein Stück verbesserte Welt.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

A 386

There is an issue of Dragon (Don't have the exact issue handy at the moment) that included a number of construct augmentations you could add to constructs during their creation. One of them granted intelligence to normally mindless constructs. I'll fill in more details once I find them.

- Yes, a construct with Intelligence gains skills and feats, even constructs of its type normally are mindless.

- A construct is a type of creature and is not subject to processes that usually only affect objects.

- An apparatus of kwalish is an object and can be made into an intelligent magical item in the normal fashion.

- A completely user-operated device would be considered an object. However, if made into an intelligent magic item, it would still require another being to operate it. It would not become a construct.

386a

Constructs really don't grow. You would be unable to "upgrade" a construct after its creation for pretty much the same reasons you are unable to make a normal weapon masterwork after its creation. If you want an advanced construct, you will have to create it as such from the beginning.

I believe the size cost is an additional fee for a construct whose "Advancement" entry includes a size upgrade once they reach a particular HD. This uses the specific construct entry rather than the basic construct guidelines.

So, say you had a construct that is normally size small with 4 HD and has an Advancement line that reads "5-7 HD (Small), 8-10 HD (Medium). If you wanted to create a 10-HD version of the construct, the base price would be an extra 30,000 gp for six extra HD and 50,000 gp for an increase in size. That means the base price is an extra 80,000 gp over the standard version of the construct.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-07-30 at 05:31 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

30. - Top - End - #1020

Could you please provide a source for 386a, assuming your answer is not a 'common sense' ruling?
    Thanks very much, indeed, but I want to be quite, quite sure.

From a logical or role-playing standpoint, a construct could be 'programmed' with new skills or improved capabilities and given increased toughness- by strengthening joints or adding additional plating, perhaps- and thus gain the benefits of Hit Dice; therefore the case for a 'common sense' ruling would be somewhat weak, whence my request for a source.

On a seperate point, and to avoid further clogging the thread, we may continue this conversation (regarding the aforementioned issue of Dragon, especially), elsewhere, say, PMs.