New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,487 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Q732

If a creature has secondary attacks but a strength penalty, how is the damage penalty calculated? It doesn't make sense to only apply half penalty...
    A 732

A penalty is not the same thing as a bonus. They are both modifiers, but a bonus is always positive and a penalty is always negative. If an attack gets half your Strength bonus to damage, you still apply your entire penalty if you have a Strength of 9 or lower.

It's the same reason that the Armor Class of a character with very low Dexterity does not improve when they are caught flat-footed.

For reference, taking your full penalty on secondary natural attacks is stated explicitly in Rules Compendium on page 100.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Q 733

What means, aside from not being alive, exist to avoid being detected by lifesense?

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

A:733. wearing a box, or some kind of Magical Darkness would do the trick

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 734: If a character takes Vow of Poverty at a high level, they have to give all their accumulated stuff away. But what if a lot of money has already been invested in grafts? They become a part of your body, and explicitly come back with you if you die and are subject to Resurrection etc. So can a person with grafts benefit from VoP? Even an Illithid installed Weapon Graft of a magical weapon?
    Throw the dice high.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessGnome View Post
    Q 734: If a character takes Vow of Poverty at a high level, they have to give all their accumulated stuff away. But what if a lot of money has already been invested in grafts? They become a part of your body, and explicitly come back with you if you die and are subject to Resurrection etc. So can a person with grafts benefit from VoP? Even an Illithid installed Weapon Graft of a magical weapon?
    Grafts are not considered magic items. Being part of your body should also exempt them from most reasonable definitions of "material possessions." Generally, any grafts you already have will probably not interfere with a Vow of Poverty. (If a specific graft still functions as a magic item, that would be an exception.)

I like to call this the "I didn't ask for this" rule.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Orc in the Playground

Q735
    Can you only take the 1st level of the half-giant racial class in Complete Psionic?
    Not taking the 2nd lvl and the LA.
    I guess it depends if you follow the web enhancement rules for savage progression or the rules in savage species right?

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

Q736: Generally - Under what circumstances does the two weapon fighting penalty apply? Specifically - I don't have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. I'm wielding a short sword in one hand. I use my move action to draw a spiked shield and then my standard action to attack with the sword. Do I suffer a -6 penalty on the attack for fighting with two weapons? If the shield were a second sword, would I suffer the -6 penalty? If the standard action were a shield bash, what penalty would it suffer (-6 or -10)?
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-08-09 at 06:34 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    Q735
    Can you only take the 1st level of the half-giant racial class in Complete Psionic?
    Not taking the 2nd lvl and the LA.
    I guess it depends if you follow the web enhancement rules for savage progression or the rules in savage species right?
    No, once you begin a character using the racial class, you cannot take levels in another class except as permitted by the racial class itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Q736: Generally - Under what circumstances does the two weapon fighting penalty apply? Specifically - I don't have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. I'm wielding a short sword in one hand. I use my move action to draw a spiked shield and then my standard action to attack with the sword. Do I suffer a -6 penalty on the attack for fighting with two weapons? If the shield were a second sword, would I suffer the -6 penalty? If the standard action were a shield bash, what penalty would it suffer (-6 or -10)?
    Only when you use your offhand weapon to make an additional attack during a full attack action. If you do not take an extra attack during your full attack, there is no penalty, even if you switch between multiple weapons to make your iterative attacks. If you are making a standard action attack, there is no penalty.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Bugbear in the Playground

734 continued:
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Grafts are not considered magic items. Being part of your body should also exempt them from most reasonable definitions of "material possessions." Generally, any grafts you already have will probably not interfere with a Vow of Poverty. (If a specific graft still functions as a magic item, that would be an exception.)

I like to call this the "I didn't ask for this" rule.
    Is there a reason for this? The character that made me think about this question is one that has a Weapon graft attached so it can't be disarmed/lost/etc, who then takes VoP later in his career. He's now in a position where he cannot get rid of the weapon except by seeking out someone to cast disjunction on him or saw off his arm. And with the graft being considered truly a part of him, I think even a Regenerate would result in the weapon growing back.

But on the "I didn't ask for this" note - would a magical weapon he can't get rid of break his vow if he never made the choice to get the graft himself? What if it was a cursed longsword instead - the Core one that teleports into your hand whenever you try to attack something in a real fight?
    Throw the dice high.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessGnome View Post
    734 continued:

Is there a reason for this? The character that made me think about this question is one that has a Weapon graft attached so it can't be disarmed/lost/etc, who then takes VoP later in his career. He's now in a position where he cannot get rid of the weapon except by seeking out someone to cast disjunction on him or saw off his arm. And with the graft being considered truly a part of him, I think even a Regenerate would result in the weapon growing back.

But on the "I didn't ask for this" note - would a magical weapon he can't get rid of break his vow if he never made the choice to get the graft himself? What if it was a cursed longsword instead - the Core one that teleports into your hand whenever you try to attack something in a real fight?
    Vow of Poverty explicitly forbids you from using any magic item of any sort. A graft that is also a magic item would therefore not be permitted. In order to fulfill the vow, you would have to get rid of the graft, just as you would have to get rid of all the rest of your stuff.

If you can't get rid of one of your magic items, then it is probably not a good idea to take Vow of Poverty.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-08-09 at 10:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 721

In the 3.0 to 3.5 update, was there any blanket rule on updating monsters that used to get an extra "partial action" as a racial ability? The only one I'm aware of that got a specific update is the Mithril Golem.
    Since we're getting close to this thread being locked and a new one created, thought I'd do a quick re-post.

12. - Top - End - #1482

Imp

Q 737
    If a monster casts area dispel magic into a space where an invisible pc is hiding, does the creature know something was hit by the dispel magic if it does not remove the character's means of being invisible?
    A) If the dispel does not manage to remove anything from the character, does the monster know something was hit?
    B) What if something irrelevant to the character's hiding was dispelled?

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Troll in the Playground

Q 738

Since the rules for LA buyoff are specifically based around Class levels instead of ECL, can a Gestalt LA+1 character buyoff at level two?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ettin in the Playground

A 738

There are no rules for the interaction of Gestalt and LA buy off. so ask your DM.

15. - Top - End - #1485

Q 739

What creates the +10 damage modifier on the Dire Wolf page on the d20srd? I can see the +7 from the Strength Modifier, but I can't see where the other +3 comes from.
    Check out my threads:
    Video Game Characters as D&D Characters v2.0
    Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

I never use Psionics in my games.

Avatar by the amazing AsteriskAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground

Q 740

Lets say you have Ride By Attack and Pounce, and lets say that you are allowed to use Pounce with a Mounted Charge (i dont know if this is 100% legal, but that immaterial here). Would you be able to charge, attack one person, keep moving and then hit another person, and keep doing this until you ran out of movement or attacks? Or would you charge, unleash all of your attacks on the first target and then simply be allowed to keep moving?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground

Folks, please use the more recent thread that is stickied at the top of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Q 738

Since the rules for LA buyoff are specifically based around Class levels instead of ECL, can a Gestalt LA+1 character buyoff at level two?
    No. A gestalt level is one level, even though it is comprised of two classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaroth View Post
    Q 739

What creates the +10 damage modifier on the Dire Wolf page on the d20srd? I can see the +7 from the Strength Modifier, but I can't see where the other +3 comes from.
    It adds 1.5x its Strength bonus to damage, as is the norm for a creature with only a single primary natural attack. (See the Rules Compendium section on natural weapons.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Q 740

Lets say you have Ride By Attack and Pounce, and lets say that you are allowed to use Pounce with a Mounted Charge (i dont know if this is 100% legal, but that immaterial here). Would you be able to charge, attack one person, keep moving and then hit another person, and keep doing this until you ran out of movement or attacks? Or would you charge, unleash all of your attacks on the first target and then simply be allowed to keep moving?
    Refer to the text of the ability that allows you to pounce while mounted. As no such ability exists in the game (as far as I'm aware), this is not really a RAW question.